• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Finally finished GTO, ending was decent but as whole, the series was legit great. Probably my favorite manga ever. Anyone have recommendations of what to read next?

jbug617

Banned
Robot X Laserbeam 1

This is the new manga by the Kuroko no Basket author. I like it. One looks like Aomine and the MC looks like Akashi with Kuroko's attitude. Hopefully it's get picked up by US WSJ.

Uhhhhh there's a sequel?!? I finished the mainline series I think?

Two technically, ones complete at only 30 chapters long and the other is currently at about 40ish chapters and ongoing. Can't remember their names, but I'm sure you'll be able to internet them.

Did that include Shonan Junai Gumi??

Two technically, ones complete at only 30 chapters long and the other is currently at about 40ish chapters and ongoing. Can't remember their names, but I'm sure you'll be able to internet them.

Did that include Shonan Junai Gumi??

Nah I only read GTO. I didn't even know they made a biker series before GTO!

You Will Hear the Voice of the Dead 9-10
04r4tkF.png
At this point, you should just stop questioning anything Hayakawa does. If she tries to drag you somewhere, you let her. If she wants you to wield an umbrella, you wield an umbrella. I have no idea why no-one wants to give Mako work, but if it means more future appearances from the dark idol then it's a net positive.

Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumeishitemita. 1

Sold. Done. On this series.

2 post-grads in the science department work together and are total science jerks but then the girl confesses to the guy and needs to prove through science that what she feels is love.

This is so stupid I love it

Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumeishitemita 1

holding hands? How lewd.

Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumeishitemita 2

For more data, Yukimura really should have been wearing a heartbeat monitor as well, which Himuro rightly suggests.
Also, why are they wearing lab coats when they're not in a lab room that would require them? I personally never took my lab coat out of the lab unless I was going to wash it.

tomo 524

lol, carol with the taser.
And some friendship bonding almost occurs.

Verelios

Finally finished GTO, ending was decent but as whole, the series was legit great. Probably my favorite manga ever. Anyone have recommendations of what to read next?
Well...I have what's called the two paths to greatness. You could-

A) Go down the comedy route with Angel dentetsu and Kyou kara ore wa which are phenomenal, although a bit lacking in action

OR

B) Get down into the gritty modern Shonan years with GTO's prequel and then continue on to GOAT delinquent series Crows and Worst

OR you could always just have a wrong opinion and start reading something like Change Guy...that's cool too.

cntr

Banned
Angel Densetsu is the stuff of legends, yo.

I enjoyed Worst a lot when I read it a decade ago until I ran out of chapters, I should reread/finish it sometime.

Well...I have what's called the two paths to greatness. You could-

A) Go down the comedy route with Angel dentetsu and Kyou kara ore wa which are phenomenal, although a bit lacking in action

OR

B) Get down into the gritty modern Shonan years with GTO's prequel and then continue on to GOAT delinquent series Crows and Worst

OR you could always just have a wrong opinion and start reading something like Change Guy...that's cool too.

Damn! Thanks for the info, I'll check em out

Jay RaR

The optimistic side of me is that its just one cour and they won't get there/two cour but with an extended Negima recap/retcon (of the two prior anime) and that we simply don't get there this season.

The cynical side of me is that they'll fuck this adaptation up like they fucked both Negima anime.

At least the anime won't be too drawn into high school slice of life and ecchi since the beginning of UQ Holder has barely any of that, right? I recently saw the Negima movie and the animation wasn't so bad with the fight scenes, although I expected better.

As long as the anime is animated slightly better than the movie, I'd be alright with it.

Still an injustice that we'll never see the Festival Arc animated.

Revo

Gokukoku no Brynhildr 180-181 (end)

I don't know what I expected. Garbage series besides Kazumi and some Kana.
(fuck neko)

cntr

Banned
Dungeon Meshi 28 - 32

This is getting intense. Love the worldbuilding, love the story.

Daydream Hour 2

Love the art, too.

Listening to the viz podcast, not officially confirmed but I think Marlene let slip they're gonna pick up Hungry Marie. When talking about series she edits for she said hungry marie and tried to run it back saying its not in this issue. Then comment also didn't lead to any kind of discussion to picking it up like in past weeks.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch531

Is he really going to help?

Witch Hat Atelier ch2

That's a clearer goal at least.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch11

Didn't take long for his plan to be ruined.

Gokukoku no Brynhildr 180-181 (end)

I don't know what I expected. Garbage series besides Kazumi and some Kana.
(fuck neko)
Wait what? That's the ending? This half-assed End of Evangelion bullshit?

I knew this had gone to shit but HOLY SHIT this is literal trash.

Listening to the viz podcast, not officially confirmed but I think Marlene let slip they're gonna pick up Hungry Marie. When talking about series she edits for she said hungry marie and tried to run it back saying its not in this issue. Then comment also didn't lead to any kind of discussion to picking it up like in past weeks.

Viz is looking to pick up two maybe three of the new series according to the podcast

Digital release of beelzebub potentially incoming someday?!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumeishitemita. 6
Finally an update. Please don't deny this man waifu life style in the name of science.

Mousou telepathy 224

I like how the author use color to show the setting. For a story that talk about cliched power (reading mind), author sure know how to handle it in 4 koma type manga.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Berserk ep. 348 spoilers are starting to leak onto the Web. It's gonna be a doozy of a chapter.

Viz is looking to pick up two maybe three of the new series according to the podcast

So it's going to Hungry + Dr. Stone and/or We Never Learn. Robot is a sports manga so that's not happening, Poro didn't seemed to do well in the survey from how little the staff talked about it and U19 has somewhat the same problem Poro had in that regard.

Fools 1 - 9
C7dS6tBUwAARB3v.jpg

Really attractive characters all around and makes me a fan of the college setting for a pleasing BL. Hopefully, Eungi can realize he likes Jeongwoo. Though Jeongwoo seems anxious and not over his past relationship so I hope theres no drama there.

I love the really cute moments when Jeongwoo and social media posts or just being really into Eungi, especially when he met up with him ordering food at WcDonalds.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumeishitemita. 1

Sold. Done. On this series.

2 post-grads in the science department work together and are total science jerks but then the girl confesses to the guy and needs to prove through science that what she feels is love.

This is so stupid I love it

Burned through all the chapters out last night, dear god I need more.

Boogiepop

Before anything else: Anyone have any opinions one way or another on the other works from this mangaka? I enjoyed this just enough that it's in a weird place where I'm potentially interested in his other stuff, but I don't have a lot of confidence to dive in blindly.

For reference, his other series seem to be:
Aruite Ippo!!
Haru to Natsu
Gleipnir

In a bit of a weird semi-followup to my question about gender-bender stuff, I got around to reading Sekai no Hate de Aimashou, which I had semi-randomly picked up on a whim a while back.

And it actually turned out quite well for me, as I rather enjoyed that. It's got some issues, but it's also got some real great parts too, and in general it definitely clicked right. To talk to the issues:
the big one is just that the darker space politics stuff just didn't have enough room to breath, and thus felt pretty underdeveloped. Like, those parts weren't inherently bad, but you're left with some messed up crap that doesn't get resolved beyond a vague idea that Emilio wants to fix it. It would've been better off either cutting that stuff in favor of more of the gags, or alternatively giving it a greater focus, but as it drags the series down a bit, IMO.

And then the other thing is... they didn't quite sell on the idea that Ryouma is cool with marrying Emilio. It's actually decently believable from the way his character acts that he's cool with being a girl in the more general sense, but remained pretty firm on the "I don't want to be with a guy" thing. Was secretly kind of hoping for a "f#$% it, I'll drink that stuff too and become a woman to be with you" ending from Emilio, to be honest, though that wouldn't be perfect either. But yeah, didn't 100% get sold on the whole "they should totally be in a relationship" thing. Still, nice little ending bit where it wraps back around to the daydream from earlier, which I thought was a neat touch.

That said, I was actually surprised to find that Alicia ended up being the strongest character in the thing for me, despite having little to do with the gender-bender-y stuff that drew me to give this a shot. She definitely has the strongest gags in the series, and actually develops really well over the course of things.

But yeah, overall I'd say I definitely enjoyed it, and would recommend it if you're looking for this sort of thing... but I'm not so sure I'd give it the nod 100% otherwise.

Zweizer

Banned
I'd say it's notable for being one of the few gender bender series where the (originally male) main character doesn't revert to being a man at the end, though it's "helped" by the fact that her romantic interest is a man as well.

It's pretty average/forgettable on all other aspects though. Still a good enough read if you're famished for gender bender stuff. Another series that's in the same vein would be Idol Pretender.

Of the author's other series, I've only read Haru to Natsu (I read it before Sekainohate), which features a yandere + twin swap, which is fun at first, but gets kind of toned down and stale afterwards.

Abarenbo Honey + Kakurenbo Honey [END]

As probably my first manga in the omegaverse world I thought it was much better than the omegaverse 101 in the beginning of the manga implied. However, I think if the omega stuff was not part of the plot then it wouldnt have changed it. Both of the couples seemed to be in love with each other without it.
C7dq2evXQAEnfi4.jpg:small

Hachi and Kuma were my favorite story here and seemed much more developed than the second pairing. The usual story of the person who is inheriting the family gang leadership while in love with an outsider is one that I like to see however typically its filled with too much violence and stress from the family. Here it was simply the butler (stoic Mitsuru) and he didnt seem to be in that much of the way. The date for Hachi and Kuma was the most memorable and best thing followed by the temporary distance they had to maintain and Hachi suddenly reaching his Kuma. Very good, and the makeup date was phenomenal.

Second story was good on its own but more emotional since the child abandonment plot after the struggling mom abandons him. Sad, but Suzume more than made up for it.

Epilogue 7 years later really made Suzume extremely attractive.

Zweizer

Banned
Hinamatsuri ch61.5

Humans are scarier than any ghosts.

Hinamatsuri ch64

Oh boy, the cringe. Hitomi just can't catch a break.

The Miniature Garden of Twindle 4
Judging from Nicola's internal monologues, a him-Gizel pairing would be less healthy than the victims of the fireworks display. Adding a very witchy witch into the equation does nothing to reassure me on this point. The art continues to be gorgeous, the chronology continues to be odd, but as a design choice it's actually done a decent job of showing the 'behind the scenes' of chapter 1's events.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
so the premise of that science romance thing is that the dude isn't interested in the girl

lol okay seems legit

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Prison School - Last 20 something chapters

Finally caught up and saw the end of the big arc. Even though it took forever to get there, that end was actually a lot of fun. Really enjoyed the parts with Andre (poor Risa :/ ) and that ending with PBR sama. It was a lot of fun, but I am so glad to move onto something new. Kioshi's attempted
bonercide
was great and most importantly.... Aw yeah we are bound for some more Hanah shenanigans!

Boogiepop

I'd say it's notable for being one of the few gender bender series where the (originally male) main character doesn't revert to being a man at the end, though it's "helped" by the fact that her romantic interest is a man as well.

It's pretty average/forgettable on all other aspects though. Still a good enough read if you're famished for gender bender stuff. Another series that's in the same vein would be Idol Pretender.

Of the author's other series, I've only read Haru to Natsu (I read it before Sekainohate), which features a yandere + twin swap, which is fun at first, but gets kind of toned down and stale afterwards.

Cool, thanks for all this.

Shoujo Kishidan x Knight Tale 1
Girls und Rüstung. For some reason dressing up as knights and beating the shit out of each-other has become a national sport for girls. If it didn't have the yuri tag I'd have basically zero interest in it, but as it is I'll read a few chapters to see how satisfactorily the flower garden grows.

Top Bottom