• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

B-side G.A.M.E. planning thread while waiting for GT5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally missed this thread! Seems like everyone else did too. Perhaps we should stick to the old thread?

I'm actually fine with all three of those themes you mentioned, though I lean more towards remix or dance.

Put me down for Cover/Remix.

hahaha, this is what happens when one posts a thread during the holidays. I'd prefer to keep threads separate so we keep tracks independent of each planning project.

Thanks for starting this thread, I was going to do it after New Year's if nobody else did. I liked the dance idea, it's pretty open ended. I could go with the vocal thing too, though I'm not sure everybody else would.

Other ideas I like:

1. Downtempo/Trip Hop/ambient

2. Another chiptunes/classic album

monchi-kun said:
anyone have examples of downtempo stuff? i don't think i've ever tried to make a downtempo song before

It's a really wide genre, going from acid jazz to trip hop to ambient and everything in between. Stuff like Air, Boards of Canada, Massive Attack, Orb, Zero 7, Morcheeba, Banco De Gaia & Ulrich Schnauss all fit into it.

This is an awesome station, listen to it for an hour or two (it's great while you're surfing or reading) and you'll get the general idea:

http://somafm.com/play/groovesalad

pirahna1

Everyone else didn't realize there was a new thread! :lol I posted a link in our last thread. I don't visit GAF outside of the threads I have subscribed, so I would have never seen this had I not wondered around in OT for a minute...

I'm totally down for a downtempo/ambient album.

All tracks needing vocals is kind of lame, as the only vocals I could get would be from sampling, and then you run into copyright infringement territory, which is lame.

So I guess wait for other people to show up, but so far downtempo seems to be the favourite.

I've got one track that I kinda started, it sounded cool and Underworldy, but aside from the rhythm sections I had no idea where to go with it, nothing sat right. I'd love to see if I could get more out of it going in a downtempo/dark progressive direction. I've also got another vaguely BOC track that I've had the building blocks for sitting on my hard drive for two years but just haven't had the chops to do what I want to with it. I'd like to finally put that together.

LFK, you want to take the lead on this one? I'm still down to handle the mastering for the tracks once its submitted but someone else has to take the reigns on the project management in case Sony finally announces a solid release date for GT5

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
What ever happened to G.A.M.E. 3.5?
Wasn't there supposed to be a follow-up to the original WipeOut HD G.A.M.E. album?
Sorry if I ask this inappropriately.

:lol

i think 3.5's time has come and gone...if Sony Liverpool releases expansion content for WipeOut HD then we can revisit the project

monchi-kun said:
LFK, you want to take the lead on this one? I'm still down to handle the mastering for the tracks once its submitted but someone else has to take the reigns on the project management in case Sony finally announces a solid release date for GT5

As always, I am one busy mofo, I literally have half a day off a week. My GAF posting is all done at work in between cases. But I'll certainly do what I can. Things get super-hairy for me in March, but I might be relatively free in April. I'm certainly on here enough that I can keep an eye on the GT5 situation. (I'm betting they move it back to next fall).

I would totally be up for a 3.5, I still have the track I did for it waiting to be properly massaged into something listenable :lol

You'll mainly be the point person for track evals, downtempo is a new genre for me so i don't know where to begin when people start posting tracks :lol

Does Sneaker Pimps work as a reference?

monchi-kun said:
You'll mainly be the point person for track evals, downtempo is a new genre for me so i don't know where to begin when people start posting tracks :lol

Does Sneaker Pimps work as a reference?

Oh yes. Plenty of downtempo DJs have done remixes of their stuff. Like I said, listen to Groove Salad enough and you'll know what it's about, and it's varied enough that you'll probably hear something close to a genre you already work in. Sound texture and breadth in the production - working in tons of soft pads & reverb while still staying quiet & not overwhelming everything else - are key.

And electric piano. Every second person in this genre uses the EVP88, mess around with that and you'll hear a LOT of familiar sounds.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
monchi-kun said:
:lol

i think 3.5's time has come and gone...if Sony Liverpool releases expansion content for WipeOut HD then we can revisit the project

A WipeOut HD expansion came out a few months ago, no?

A bit off-topic but has anyone ever thought of doing something similar to the NeoGAF creative writing challenge but for music? You could be given a theme or specific scenario (either from a game or just generally) and you would write music based around it? The themes would be more specific than the general style chosen for the G.A.M.E releases.

Just an idea, everyone is probably busy with G.A.M.E anyway.

I'm down. I spin ALOT of down-tempo/Lounge music at the start of my sets, but never bother producing one, or actually finishing one. To busy always doing my Hip-Hop tracks. Down-Tempo is a fun genre to play with. I'll give it a shot. When's the deadline?

Blutonium

Aww crap, I've been working on this crazy DnB track for the last few days :lol

I was planning on submitting a dub version of it for the GT soundtrack. I 'think' I'm in for a downtempo album...not really my style though. I'll see what I can cook up.

In the mean time, here's the track I wanted to submit (work in progress)

Click here

Chasteleth said:
A bit off-topic but has anyone ever thought of doing something similar to the NeoGAF creative writing challenge but for music? You could be given a theme or specific scenario (either from a game or just generally) and you would write music based around it? The themes would be more specific than the general style chosen for the G.A.M.E releases.

i would LOVE to do a cross-collab with Writing and Art GAF on a project. Sadly coordinating something of that magnitude might be tough for our short attention spans. :lol

ShinobiFist said:
I'm down. I spin ALOT of down-tempo/Lounge music at the start of my sets, but never bother producing one, or actually finishing one. To busy always doing my Hip-Hop tracks. Down-Tempo is a fun genre to play with. I'll give it a shot. When's the deadline?

No deadline yet, but we usually take about 3-4 months to do one of these. I'm thinking aiming for an April release is a good idea, but I don't know how many students we have here who are going to be tied up with finals etc.

Blutonium said:
Aww crap, I've been working on this crazy DnB track for the last few days

I was planning on submitting a dub version of it for the GT soundtrack. I 'think' I'm in for a downtempo album...not really my style though. I'll see what I can cook up.

In the mean time, here's the track I wanted to submit (work in progress)

That track is crazy, the opening is great and I love the way you got the samples to sit in the mix. The only advice I'd offer at this point is mixing up the drum beat a bit more.

And don't worry, GT5 is still happening, Sony just pushed it back to mid/late 2010 so we have some time to do something else first.

monchi-kun said:
i would LOVE to do a cross-collab with Writing and Art GAF on a project. Sadly coordinating something of that magnitude might be tough for our short attention spans. :lol

It wouldn't necessarily have to be a collaboration with the writing guys, I just thought it would be a fun idea to write a single track for a very specific scenario or mood. It could be done in between the G.A.M.E releases just for fun, and I think it will bring in more genres of music. The G.A.M.E releases are very electronic based and I'm sure there is at least a couple of orchestral, rock etc composers here (me included).

I don't think it would be that hard to set it up, if there is enough people interested then I would set up the first one. On a couple of game composer forums they do a similar thing where everyone votes for what they think is the best track based on the theme, the winner then has to decide on the scenario or theme for next time. Although if it is only me and monchi who would be into it then its not worth it :lol

pirahna1

Chasteleth said:

I'd be down for this. I read an article yesterday on Lifehacker about a guy that does a 365-day photo challenge. Basically takes some photos everyday and posts his favorite to his flickr. I decided to do something similar - A 52 week project. 1 song a week. GAF's writing/photo challenges are usually about a week long right? That's right up the alley of my plan, or something similar.

Downtempo/Ambient is chilll. I have a couple of BoC-esque textures I've been working on that should fit perfectly.

And I still have a few tracks that need re-worked from GAME 3.5 :lol. I thought that project was long dead. Could be an idea for the future maybe? Who knows.

has anyone here tried to do some acoustic treatments to their rooms? i'm going to invest in some nearfield speakers (tired of headphones) since i'm starting to write more music. i get lots of echos from the hardwood floor i installed. i was thinking of adding some padding on one wall with a book shelf on the other to absorb some of the echoes

lil smoke

Banned
monchi-kun said:
has anyone here tried to do some acoustic treatments to their rooms? i'm going to invest in some nearfield speakers (tired of headphones) since i'm starting to write more music. i get lots of echos from the hardwood floor i installed. i was thinking of adding some padding on one wall with a book shelf on the other to absorb some of the echoes
Here's a bump.

Yeah, I have a couple of diffusers and bass absorption foam. Makes a huge difference, and is way worth more than any new EQ plug-in or whatever. Makes everything sound... tighter, you can hear what you're doing better, and the overall room will sound and feel better. Hearing what you're doing accurately is the most important aspect of mixing imo.

Don't visit GAF much anymore, but whatever you guys do, I'm in, but I can't do any vocals. If anyone is down for trading email addresses or something where we can discuss these things as a group outside of GAF, that would be cool.

lil smoke said:
Here's a bump.

Yeah, I have a couple of diffusers and bass absorption foam. Makes a huge difference, and is way worth more than any new EQ plug-in or whatever. Makes everything sound... tighter, you can hear what you're doing better, and the overall room will sound and feel better. Hearing what you're doing accurately is the most important aspect of mixing imo.

Don't visit GAF much anymore, but whatever you guys do, I'm in, but I can't do any vocals. If anyone is down for trading email addresses or something where we can discuss these things as a group outside of GAF, that would be cool.

We should set up a...something that isn't facebook.

pirahna1

The facebook hasn't even been updated in a while.

What other services could we use? Anyone used the Soundcloud group feature yet? I haven't really checked it out, but maybe it's something we could look into.

Although I do dig the GAME Facebook. It just doesn't seem to get used enough.

lil smoke

Banned
Sup dudes...

I forgot all about Soundcloud. I have an account there. It might be cool to setup a group page, and we can advertise in the forums over there. I've posted once or twice in their forums and got new people listening to my page.

Damn GT5, I don't have a PS3 but I was looking forward to the MP comparisons. WTF are they doing?

Hey Monchi, you can look at GIK acoustics, or you can look at a cheap foam place and buy yardage, cut it up and throw it on a wall. An area rug is good for floor reflection.

Winter NAMM goodies

this one's for the iPhone musician

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2010/01/namm-akai-professional-announces-ipk25.html

ipk25_angle_lg.png

Will ship alongside an Akai production app...what an awesome time to be an electronic musician

smoke, i'm doing the rug thing fo sho...thanks man. i'll post a pic of the studio remodel when its done

btkadams

monchi-kun said:
I need help managing the Facebook GAME site, so if any of you kids are already part of the group and would like admin status just PM me.

What about thesixtyone.com social networking site for musicians...we can get that going

Also, looks like we're doing B-Side GAME in full force...GT5 is officially delayed to TBD

http://kotaku.com/5446924/gran-turismo-5-delayed-new-release-date-tba
pm sent.

oh and im down for the soundcloud group thing. didn't know that existed, sounds cool!

pirahna1

I could help out on the Facebook group, what exactly does that entail?

I've never heard of thesixtyone though. I'd prefer to join the least amount of networks as possible - that's why I'd rather stick to Soundcloud. That way I know where my music is at and I know it's not floating all about cyberspace without my knowledge :lol Plus, Soundcloud is THE place to be for electronic musicians.

pirahna1

drool indeed @ the Mungo...man, i can't wait for my midlife crisis. Some guys do the car thing, i'll probably build a modular analog synth :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom