• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legacy Collection 2 |OT| For heaven's sake, please don't mention the Switch!

ADS

Are they ever going to fix Legacy Collection 1 or is just completely abandoned?

I want to buy 2 but if it's just released as a buggy mess then forgotten about like 1 was, I am going to opt out.

Are they ever going to fix Legacy Collection 1 or is just completely abandoned?

I want to buy 2 but if it's just released as a buggy mess then forgotten about like 1 was, I am going to opt out.

Only issue I think the first one still has (on PS4 at least) is sound popping which is more audible in certain tracks. Otherwise I'm not aware of any issues - they fixed the main issue with the music glitching out a while back, and the controls felt very responsive when I replayed it a couple of months back.

ADS

Only issue I think the first one still has (on PS4 at least) is sound popping which is more audible in certain tracks. Otherwise I'm not aware of any issues - they fixed the main issue with the music glitching out a while back, and the controls felt very responsive when I replayed it a couple of months back.

Sorry, should have mentioned I'm playing the Steam version on PC.

There's a ton of input lag with vsync on, tearing with it off, and the game doesn't handle 144hz monitors at all (it wigs out and chooses random refresh rates). On a lot of setups the game just black screens and won't even start.

Krelian

I wish Capcom would use the Saturn version in this. It's always the PlayStation version when they re-release the game in any form. I'll definitely get this collection though and I'm looking forward to playing all of these games.

Edit: I'm talking about MM8, of course.

What's up with the recommended boss order for MM7 though? I always went
Burstman/Cloudman/Junkman/Freezeman/Slashman/Springman/Shademan/Turboman
. So it's partly the same but with some differences. I'm pretty sure the bosses have always been weak to the previous boss's weapon with my order. So are some of them weak to more than one weapon or have I been doing it wrong all these years?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Any word on how good or bad the emulation is? I don't know how to feel about Digital Eclipse not having anything to do with this after making MMLC1 and The Disney Afternoon which I think rhwy did a good job at.

Absolutely none, and the idea that Capcom taking this internal (whatever that actually means) automatically guarantees a certain level of quality is ridiculous, they're just as capable of putting out crap as any of their external contractors.

Sorry, should have mentioned I'm playing the Steam version on PC.

There's a ton of input lag with vsync on, tearing with it off, and the game doesn't handle 144hz monitors at all (it wigs out and chooses random refresh rates). On a lot of setups the game just black screens and won't even start.

ouch, that sounds terrible :( Not really sure I'm afraid. I believe a patch was pushed out at some point for the PC version but I've no idea if they fixed the issues you described.

I feel like I've already bought this a couple times in the past, and actually gotten all the games when I did. I'll have to pass until we get an actual full collection.

That said, these games are really great and I hope they find their way into the hands of new gamers.

This is the first time Mega Man 9 and 10 have been a part of any collection.

Fox Mulder

I bought the first collection and already have MM 9 and 10 with Xbox backwards compatibility. It seems dumb to buy this then for just two games, maybe I'll wait for a sale.

I just wish there was two Megaman and X collections like on the ps2. When it's done this way companies just give up before releasing everything.

I'm almost glad that MM & Bass isn't included in this because as a Trophy whore I know I would have wanted to beat it but that fucking game almost broke me before even with save states. I really don't like it. I understand why it should have been in this collection of course, it sucks for fans of that game that it was omitted.

Never played MM Soccer, that could have been a nice bonus game, I've heard great things about it. Still, this will be the first time that I get to play MM10 to completion, I'm really excited.

but i tried to find the collector edition on play-asia many times, and it was never there.... now you post the link.... and it's already out of stock...

EDIT : Got it on ninin-games, but this website is expansive compared to play-asia

:(

SCReuter

Is there an official statement on why Capcom decided to do this in-house instead of using Digital Eclipse again?

This is what Capcom told Jeremy Parish:
-The original collection was developed using the Eclipse Engine which specialized in faithfully reproducing NES games. Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 includes games that span several generations and a number of original platforms, adding to the complexity and scope of the project. This collection is being developed internally at Capcom Japan. Fans can expect a similar approach to the original MMLC, with both collections celebrating the original gameplay experiences in a faithful way.

-Mega Man Legacy Collection and MMLC2 focus on collecting the classic numbered games in the series.

-For Mega Man 8, the team felt it important to use the initial release version of the game, so the PS1 version is included in this collection.

Gotta wait for the inevitable X collection.

Basically what I'm waiting for. I've double dipped on the original MM collection before but seeing as MMX is my favorite Mega Man game (and one of my favorite games of all time), I'd triple and quadriple dip on that. >_>

Still might hop on this though; that theme is sick, too.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

-For Mega Man 8, the team felt it important to use the initial release version of the game, so the PS1 version is included in this collection.

200_s.gif

SCReuter

I'd like to see a version of Mega Man 8 that completely eliminates these mid-stage loading screens, although I'm not sure how reasonable of a request that actually is.

Here's a capture of the options for MMLC2. Border artwork can be disabled, thankfully, and there's a filter of some type.

My thoughts exactly. Unless they wanted to make fans suffer with the awful dub, less content (I'll miss the two returning RM boss fights). Oh well, I still have my Saturn version so its no great loss for me, but it'd still been nice to have this collection to have the "definitive" version of 8.

ZeoVGM

Banned
My thoughts exactly. Unless they wanted to make fans suffer with the awful dub, less content (I'll miss the two returning RM boss fights). Oh well, I still have my Saturn version so its no great loss for me, but it'd still been nice to have this collection to have the "definitive" version of 8.

Wait, is the dub different?

Because I'm not going to lie, I think most fans want the Saturn version just for the boss fights. The awful dub is part of the game's charm and it would be a shame to take that away.

Wait, is the dub different?

Because I'm not going to lie, I think most fans want the Saturn version just for the boss fights. The awful dub is part of the game's charm and it would be a shame to take that away.

No, not different, its just the dub is awful and I'd prefer the Japanese voices for this one as its just less awful to listen to (in my opinion!). But mostly I miss the little graphical effects here and there along with the boss fights (as Cut Man and Wood Man are two favourites of mine)

Piccoro

Weird! There's no pre-order on the EU store...

Also, does anybody know if this will have the Japanese roms included, like in the first MMLC?

any reason he did this? Is the NA version better?

NA version had some... interesting translation choices at points in 7. The most notable one is right at the end of the game where Mega Man's dialogue completely changes the tone of the game
where in the original Japanese version Mega Man remains silent, then realises he can't hurt Wily and backs off while Bass appears to save the good Dr. In the English version Mega Man doesn't stay silent during the altercation and instead utters the line " I am more than a robot!! Die Wily!!!" which is incredibly out of character for him

Also little changes here and there like in the Japanese version of the game you'll sometimes have conversations with Auto in the get weapon screen, while in the USA version its always Dr Light. No idea why that was changed though.

NA version had some... interesting translation choices at points in 7. The most notable one is right at the end of the game where Mega Man's dialogue completely changes the tone of the game
where in the original Japanese version Mega Man remains silent, then realises he can't hurt Wily and backs off while Bass appears to save the good Dr. In the English version Mega Man doesn't stay silent during the altercation and instead utters the line " I am more than a robot!! Die Wily!!!" which is incredibly out of character for him

Also little changes here and there like in the Japanese version of the game you'll sometimes have conversations with Auto in the get weapon screen, while in the USA version its always Dr Light. No idea why that was changed though.

ho i know, that's the version i always played, i was just wondering why the japanese player would change it!

theclaw135

Banned

The release date doesn't lie unfortunately. In Japan, 8 was available for Playstation first.

leroidys

Finally got around to this today. First thing I did was try Mega Man 9 and see if it had the awful input lag the PS3 version suffered from. I'm not an expert on this stuff, but it feels much more responsive to me. Will try them side by side tomorrow.

Preordered this when Amazon glitched and nabbed the PS4 edition for $5. Funny thing is i just started playing mega man 2, so i have a long time before i even begin playing these titles.

ryushe

Huh, I didn't look into the games in this collection when it was first announced, but I assumed this was the X collection. Bummer.

Also, the OT title is bad.

Opa-Pa

Holy hell, I completely forgot this was coming out so soon. I'll be able to play a new MM collection tomorrow after work? Awesome, bring it on! Can't wait to play everything
minus 7 which is awful.

Gotta wait for the inevitable X collection.

Boy, I sure miss the times back when new Mega Man releases felt truly inevitable lol.

Something else worth mentioning: Mega Man 9 and 10 no longer have that dumb blur filter applied to them like they did on 360/PS3.

Edit:

Comparing old and new.

Expected, but this alone makes this collection worth it for me. Both 9 and 10 are wonderful, but goddamn did those stupid filters infuriate me.

I hope the PC port is better than the last. Didnt it suffer from fat pixels or squared ones?

I got the first one on PS4 but feel like getting on steam for future proofing.

Great news on the lag and blur re: Mega Man 9. I played 9 and 10 on the Wii mainly due to the nice crisp picture quality (running it through a CRT with RGB scart for added authenticity!). But hopefully if I can get a good monitor filter on this game, couple with lack of controller lag I'll be able to focus on the PS4 version instead now that I don't have my Wii set up anymore.

Robin64

Huh, slightly different aspect ratio on 9 and 10 now. Looks more like the "Pixel Perfect" mode of the NES Mini compared to stretched to 4:3 of other NES VCs.

Huh, slightly different aspect ratio on 9 and 10 now. Looks more like the "Pixel Perfect" mode of the NES Mini compared to stretched to 4:3 of other NES VCs.

You have the collection now? How is it compared to the Digital Eclipse compilations?

I can't buy these sight unseen anymore, sadly.

SCReuter

I'd like to know what that "filter" option is (scan lines?), and does selecting Japanese as your language change the voice acting in Mega Man 8?

Seik

Banned
Truly a shame that they skipped Rockman & Forte for this collection, they likely won't have another chance to slip it in, unless dlc.

Truly a shame that they skipped Rockman & Forte for this collection, they likely won't have another chance to slip it in, unless dlc.

Maybe they'll go with a RM&F collection - including the Wonderswan version while they are at it! But seriously, lets hope they don't do that, the WS version was absolutely awful, had some of the funniest robot master designs in the series though (everyone fear Compass Man!)

Tizoc

Maybe they'll go with a RM&F collection - including the Wonderswan version while they are at it! But seriously, lets hope they don't do that, the WS version was absolutely awful, had some of the funniest robot master designs in the series though (everyone fear Compass Man!)
Megaman legacy vol 3 would be an odd sell unless it is cheap as itll depend on the games itd have in it

Marow

I will definitely grab this as I love Mega Man, particularly 9, and always wanted to play 7 and 8.

It's a shame this collection isn't as good as it could've been. Imagine if:

- Mega Man & Bass SNES, with the GBA translation
- Mega Man 8, including the Saturn content somehow
- Mega Man 7, with a fixed translation

That would've been great!

@MUWANdo

Banned
It could be better, but the plot of the game is basically "Oh no some robot's being bad oh wait it's just Wily."

Don't really need Oscarworthy writing, the localization is serviceable.

Sure, but if they're going to make the effort to hack the SFC version to insert an English script they might as well add one that's competently translated.

Top Bottom