• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New PS4 details from PSM3 Magazine.

Gsak

The following info/rumors come from the German version of PSM3. Here's a google translation. Lock and mock if old e.t.c.:
Forecast: Details about PS4 from PSM3 Magazine

16.11.12 - The British magazine PSM3 has published in its latest issue a report on the PS4. In it, the magazine has compiled all relevant notifications to next generation console from Sony and talked to developers and other sources.

First The console does not mean PS4

* The PlayStation brand will be present in the device name, but not the 4th

* The number 4 in Japan is pronounced "shi". "Shi" also means death. Many hospitals in Japan have therefore no room with the number 4 or even a fourth floor - similar to a few high-rise buildings in the West no 13th Floor have.

* The code name of the console is - as reported - currently Orbis and could perhaps later be part of the final name.

Second Games of the first generation will look like the high-end PC demos on watchdogs and Star Wars 1313 or Square Enix's Luminous tech demo.

* PS4 demos to be shown by Sony at E3 2013th

Third PS4 games will not run well at 4K 'Ultra HD' resolution.

* The standard resolution of the PS4 should be at 1080p and 60 fps.

* If 4k can be used, then probably only for videos.

4th Used games are not readily run on the PS4.

* Sony is planning certain protections in the PS4, including perhaps an online pass or something similar.

5th The memory should be at 4GB to 8GB

The PS4 will probably have 4GB of memory, but in the end could have 8GB: If the Microsoft Xbox 360 successor have 8GB memory, then Sony would be put under pressure and should follow suit.

6th 16GB flash memory are planned.

7th The PS4 will not be backwards compatible with PS3 games.

8th Games need to be registered to PlayStation Network account.

9th The paid premium service PlayStation Plus will be an important pillar of the PS4.

10th Every PS4 should be shipped with a PS Move compatible controller and camera.

11th Classic games will be available via cloud gaming (Gaikai).

12th "In-Game" Advertising is to keep on the PS4 collection.

13th The console will use an AMD Accelerated Processor (4 cores). The chip carries the code name "Liverpool" and is produced in a 28-nanometer process.

14th The PS4 will cost about EUR 400 to EUR 500 in Europe, where Sony has here probably expect to lose.

Sony has not commented or confirmed the information.

Original link here

Lotta questions unanswered which is expected

It really does seem like they are locking down the system. No used? No PS3 BC?

No PS3 BC will keep me from purchasing for a while.

Cartman86

Banned
If my games need to be registered to my PSN account then its time to let me change my name and also I should just get a digital copy automatically now right? Sounds like bullshit to me.

Xater

It's more baseless speculation than actual rumors. They just collected all the shit tha tis floating around.

Also if the whole used game thing happens I am out. Then I can just play on the PC.

GameE

It's more baseless speculation than actual rumors. They just collected all the shit tha tis floating around.

I can confirm this, the article is just based on old rumors basically (they say this at the start of the article)

DieH@rd

Banned
Another day, another pointless rehash of PS4 rumors. Nothing is confirmed, except that PSM3 magazine will be soon dead.

The_Monk

The number 4 in Japan is pronounced "shi". "Shi" also means death. Many hospitals in Japan have therefore no room with the number 4 or even a fourth floor - similar to a few high-rise buildings in the West no 13th Floor have.

Today I learn something, nice.

Shame it won't run PS3 games, I love some PS3 games I have in my collection but I wouldn't mind sellng the PS3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Was posted in another thread...I think it's just a rumour compilation/speculation piece. I'm not sure they're contributing any original new info.

* The number 4 in Japan is pronounced "shi". "Shi" also means death. Many hospitals in Japan have therefore no room with the number 4 or even a fourth floor - similar to a few high-rise buildings in the West no 13th Floor have.

Is this where 'Vita' came from?
Vita/Shi as consoles? Whats the Japanese emotions to death (obviously not smiles, but is it very sacred?)

"7th The PS4 will not be backwards compatible with PS3 games."

Careful, or I might not be compatible with you either.

"9th The paid premium service PlayStation Plus will be an important pillar of the PS4."

if this becomes essentially mandatory the way Xbox Live is, that will kill off a lot of what made PSN good.

"10th Every PS4 should be shipped with a PS Move compatible controller and camera."

Sigh. I guess.

"12th "In-Game" Advertising is to keep on the PS4 collection."

DIAF. This kind of crap will just chase me off of consoles. Sony needs to stop acting like they have all this leverage with their ecosystems (Vita memory cards etc.) and start acting like they have the consumer at heart.

I love my PS3, had been hyped about PS4, but I'm tempering my expectations now.

Bravocado

Personally, I'd be disappointed if it wasn't called Playstation 4. I don't know why, I just like the sound of "Pee Ess For". I'd feel kinda silly saying Orbis. Again, just personal preference.

nickcv

* Sony is planning certain protections in the PS4, including perhaps an online pass or something similar.

14th The PS4 will cost about EUR 400 to EUR 500 in Europe, where Sony has here probably expect to lose.

if these infos are actually true sony is in real, real trouble.

watershed

Banned
Sounds iffy. No backwards compatibility? A move controller bundled with every unit? No used games? Maybe Sony wants to exit the video game market all together. The bit about not supporting 4k on the other hand is probably completely accurate.

Xater

Sounds iffy. No backwards compatibility? A move controller bundled with every unit? No used games? Maybe Sony wants to exit the video game market all together. The bit about not supporting 4k on the other hand is probably completely accurate.

That is probably the only thing from this list that is certain. If they go x86 there will not be backwards compatibility unless they put a PS3 in that console as well.

And like I said don't take this shit fro granted. It is just a rumor/speculation compilation.

Foshy

Not liking what I hear, anyway. No BC, PSEye/Move focus, used games not working, in-game advertising...

I sometimes wish we could go back to the era where you pushed the power button and were on the title screen of the game in 2 seconds.

Yeah. TBH I'm almost relieved. I don't want another monitor yet.

Personally, I'd be disappointed if it wasn't called Playstation 4. I don't know why, I just like the sound of "Pee Ess For". I'd feel kinda silly saying Orbis. Again, just personal preference.

if they are going to call it something else than a number you can bet your ass its going to start with the letter V.

Looks more like an "educated guesses" article to me.

Lots of "never going to happen" crap in here. Yes, let's restrict used games and piss off Amazon, Gamestop, AND the hardcore. Not happening. And mandatory registration with psn? These things aren't PCs.

Garbage article

Not liking what I hear, anyway. No BC, PSEye/Move focus, used games not working, in-game advertising...

I sometimes wish we could go back to the era where you pushed the power button and were on the title screen of the game in 2 seconds.

It's going to be hard for Sony to keep prices for the console down IF they're going to be making a significantly more powerful console than the Wii U.

In-game advertising / OS-level advertising / used games not working are ways to make extra money, even if they are dirty. We'll just have to wait and see how pro-consumer really Sony is, come next E3.

Yeah, mostly looks like baseless speculation, but if the anti-used game rumor is true. That will be a MAJOR blow to it. The only way that would be justifiable is if the game are much cheaper, but we know that is highly doubtful for the obvious reasons. It's probably not going to happen. Didn't several retailers state that they will not sell the system then?

KageMaru

Third PS4 games will not run well at 4K 'Ultra HD' resolution.

* The standard resolution of the PS4 should be at 1080p and 60 fps.

* If 4k can be used, then probably only for videos.

I wonder what the 4K cheerleaders think about this part. =p

10th Every PS4 should be shipped with a PS Move compatible controller and camera.

No no no no no. I can see this being an option, but I don't want it to be standard with every SKU.

What is this supposed to mean? Something similar to what happened to Wipeout? God I hope not.

4th Used games are not readily run on the PS4.

7th The PS4 will not be backwards compatible with PS3 games.

11th Classic games will be available via cloud gaming (Gaikai).

Gain control first. Give up anything as long as you have control.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Lots of "never going to happen" crap in here. Yes, let's restrict used games and piss off Amazon, Gamestop, AND the hardcore. Not happening. And mandatory registration with psn? These things aren't PCs.

Garbage article

This right here. Restricting used games will be the death knell for any system participating.

LOL at the removal of "4" for PS4. I already knew that Japanese were dreadful of this number. A friend of mine who's been to Japan said that at a certain hotel there was no floor No4! But, at the West there is no such thing so I don't think SCEA or SCEE will be very happy about it... 4 seems like the natural evolution; Playstation Orbis sounds very generic.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The number 4 in Japan is pronounced "shi". "Shi" also means death. Many hospitals in Japan have therefore no room with the number 4 or even a fourth floor - similar to a few high-rise buildings in the West no 13th Floor have.

It's the same in Korea, China and Taiwan. Hospitals don't have 4th floors. And in elevator apartment buildings with numbered 4th floors, those apartments on the 4th floor are normally a lot cheaper.

If Sony tried to move to motion controls perceiving Nintendo moving out of it...
Its insane and should make me not believe the list - but in the way that weird backward logic screams Nintendo; in how squeezing profit out of every sponge screams MS - this screams SONY SONY SONY.

Seems like something that should be left out the box. Unless its an updated controller. We'll see.

5th The memory should be at 4GB to 8GB

The PS4 will probably have 4GB of memory, but in the end could have 8GB: If the Microsoft Xbox 360 successor have 8GB memory, then Sony would be put under pressure and should follow suit.

Actually I think this list has been put together on gaf. 8GB or 4GB cause there soooo comparable lol.

All PlayStation names in Japan are spelled in english.

PS3 is Pureisutēshon Surii, PS4 will be spelled like Pureisutēshon Fuo'o (really don't know how to write it)
Also, 4 is mostly read "yon"

watershed

Banned
That is probably the only thing from this list that is certain. If they go x86 there will not be backwards compatibility unless they put a PS3 in that console as well.

And like I said don't take this shit fro granted. It is just a rumor/speculation compilation.

I don't know anything about the issues concerning backwards compatibility but I know it sucks when a new console or handheld doesn't support it. Hopefully there will be some way to download for free your entire ps3 collection or something. I don't want another Vita situation.

LOL at the removal of "4" for PS4. I already knew that Japanese were dreadful of this number. A friend of mine who's been to Japan said that at a certain hotel there was no floor No4! But, at the West there is no such thing so I don't think SCEA or SCEE will be very happy about it... 4 seems like the natural evolution; Playstation Orbis sounds very generic.

Not any worse than people in America insisting on the cashier changing their bill to $6.67 when it comes out to $6.66.

Fabrik

Banned
Vita <-> Shi. How strange.

shiiiit.gif

Top Bottom