• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first Power Rangers (2017) review is here....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. But he thought it was a cow.
VgWtvvA.gif

We don’t get to see the Power Rangers actually as the Power Rangers wearing their armor until 92 minutes into this movie. (Which probably leads you to your next question, so I will go ahead and answer it: Power Rangers is 124 minutes long, so strap in.

That was my big caveat to seeing this in theaters. If it takes that long for them to put the suits on then no thanks.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
We don’t get to see the Power Rangers actually as the Power Rangers wearing their armor until 92 minutes into this movie. (Which probably leads you to your next question, so I will go ahead and answer it: Power Rangers is 124 minutes long, so strap in.

That was my big caveat to seeing this in theaters. If it takes that long for them to put the suits on then no thanks.

if you've seen the trailer/tv spot that's pretty much all of the suit scenes. Heck even the suit being put on them in the trailer is basically the only "morphing" sequence

Onemic

It doesn't have to do much to be better than the source material. I'd still be kind of shocked if it was actually good.

That said, the review suggests they're dialing back the "fixation" on martial arts, which is exactly the wrong thing to do with a Power Rangers movie.

From the trailers, that's definitely what the movie seems like.

At least aesthetically it looks like the movie wants to be Transformers

Toa TAK

Banned

This is exactly what I expected.

Laieon

Part of me says Fantastic Four all over again, the other part of me says my favorite part of Mighty Morphin' Power rangers was when the kids were just hanging out in the youth center, so I'm okay with this maybe.

Beetle Borgs was a better series.

Sounds like it has Godzilla syndrome.

Oh well, as long as it's lit when they morph and the fights have some impact I might be okay with it (like Godzilla).

mreddie

To be fair, MMPR Movie, they only morphed twice and Turbo they were only in their suits once?

Majority of both movies, they were unmorphed.

Bluth54

Neither of those movies were good examples of Power Rangers.

Well in the TV show it wasn't unusual to only have one or two morphed battles and one zord battle but that's for a 20ish minute TV show, for a movie you should really have more battles spaced out throughout the movie.

Cool. I saw this movie at a preview screening in November before most of the effects were done. I liked it but I recognized there was enough room for the film to be made better or worse. Seems like they stuck it through.

Edit: Shoot, should have checked the last page. Hopefully consensus pulls around.

I interpret that as, "In the 90s version, each of the five characters were very interested in martial arts as civilians. In this version, there's plenty of hand-to-hand combat, but they don't practice martial arts outside of the costumes."

You are correct.

How do you fuck that up?

if you've seen the trailer/tv spot that's pretty much all of the suit scenes. Heck even the suit being put on them in the trailer is basically the only "morphing" sequence

Jesus, my worst fears realized. Well, maybe the characters are at least--

Uproxx Review

Kimberley's character arc. Wut?

...Okay, you know what?

FUCK
THIS
MOVIE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom