• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

SF4 is in 1994, 4 years before ibuki's appearance.
The events of Street Fighter are not tied to actual years -- character birth years were canonically abolished starting with the Alpha series. SFV takes place shortly after IV, and it features modern technology that didn't exist in 1994 like text messaging/Twitter and MP3 players.

Long-running media franchises have their own way of dealing with time. Batman debuted in 1939, but Bruce Wayne isn't a 100-year-old man. Mario hasn't aged a day since 1981.

A friend collecting all artbooks and things related to Street Fighter told me they decided that only the events of Vanilla arcade SF4 were canon + the new characters from super. So SF4 past-arcade version is basically a dream match.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The events of Street Fighter are not tied to actual years -- character birth years were canonically abolished starting with the Alpha series. SFV takes place shortly after IV, and it features modern technology that didn't exist in 1994 like text messaging/Twitter and MP3 players.

Well no, they are, SF4 takes place in 1994 and SF3 takes place in 1998, with 3S being in 1999.
It's not our 1994 obviously, but that's what it is.

Village

You ever play online, and see some shit you ain't ever seen before, and you just burst out laughing.

Had this dude in the corner, playing rog. My man playing akuma does a wake up, ex demon flip. I swear I have never seen someone do that, I couldn't stop laughing cor like 5 minutes like

" you are living dangerously my friend"

Village

Well no, they are, SF4 takes place in 1994 and SF3 takes place in 1998, with 3S being in 1999.
It's not our 1994 obviously, but that's what it is.

I don't think those games take place duing that time anymore.

Folks have cellphones , small ones . Ken has a hummer h2, which is a truck invented in 2002. Folks are playing games on the internet, C viper computer in sfv has to be at least past 2000, and a bunch of other stuff.

Those games do not take place at those times.

Haha, where are you pulling all of these dates from?

I think they think that the games take place when the games came out, which would be cool, but that's kinda stupid. Because Street Fighter is a brand meant to evolve with time.

Like, folks have cellphones dude. Come on

There is a character who talks to her daughter on a cellphone.

MCD250

It actually would be pretty cool if the entire series took place at specific points in the '90s. But yeah, it seems much more likely that they are simply using a comic book style sliding timescale wherein events take place at no specific point in time except in relation to each other (e.g., SFII takes place a couple years after SFI, but SFI has no set date and therefore neither do any of the subsequent games).

Ryce

But yeah, it seems much more likely that they are simply using a comic book style sliding timescale wherein events take place at no specific point in time except in relation to each other (e.g., SFII takes place a couple years after SFI, but SFI has no set date and therefore neither do any of the subsequent games).
Exactly. There's a reason Capcom dropped the year from the characters' dates of birth.

Village

It actually would be pretty cool if the entire series took place at specific points in the '90s. But yeah, it seems much more likely that they are simply using a comic book style sliding timescale wherein events take place at no specific point in time except in relation to each other (e.g., SFII takes place a couple years after SFI, but SFI has no set date and therefore neither do any of the subsequent games).

That's why we haven't gotten Old ryu yet.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I don't think those games take place duing that time anymore.

Folks have cellphones , small ones . Ken has a hummer h2, which is a truck invented in 2002. Folks are playing games on the internet, C viper computer in sfv has to be at least past 2000, and a bunch of other stuff.

Those games do not take place at those times.

Street fighter is real?

I think they think that the games take place when the games came out, which would be cool, but that's kinda stupid. Because Street Fighter is a brand meant to evolve with time.
SF4 came out in 1994?

mbpm1

You ever play online, and see some shit you ain't ever seen before, and you just burst out laughing.

Had this dude in the corner, playing rog. My man playing akuma does a wake up, ex demon flip. I swear I have never seen someone do that, I couldn't stop laughing cor like 5 minutes like

" you are living dangerously my friend"
SFV bruh

where wakeup sweep is a good idea

Village

Street fighter is real?

SF4 came out in 1994?

It isn't but its obviously based on some part of reality.

But lets just disregard that, someone mentioned it above, its like comic books, gwen Stacy dies every day. The events happened in a time frame nearest the most optimal point for it to happen. SF2, takes place past 2000. That's it and that's all, and all events after ward do to. Folks got cellphones my dude, I think its a done deal. Its neat that you are trying to asset this, but given there is WI FI internet in Street fighter... its obvious the time scale was moved up. Its called a retcon, its fairly common and you can't pretend that concept doesn't exist. Its fairly obvious.

SFV bruh

where wakeup sweep is a good idea

But demon flip is like 80 years, and its like " I don't know what your plan was, I don't know but you tried it"

That man lived his dream in that moment

Village

That means nothing in fiction. Because it's fiction.

Yeah, but if you are going to break all arguments against you with an all encompassing " will everything is worthless argument " why argue this in this first place. Clearly nothing matters because its fiction, there is no reason for you to stand up for your point. Unless you are admitting that fiction does indeed have rules, is often based in reality and have rules that constitute different worlds of fiction, then you have to actually argue your point besides

" Well nothing matters"

Ryce

That means nothing in fiction. Because it's fiction.
What's more likely...

A. The Street Fighter series doesn't have a set timeframe (like the overwhelming majority of similar media franchises)

Or

B. Street Fighter IV takes place during 1994 because you say so without proof and the characters use laptops and modern cellphones in 1994 because "lol it's fiction you guys"

?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Unless you are admitting that fiction does indeed have rules, is often based in reality and have rules that constitute different worlds of fiction, then you have to

You don't decide the rules, just because there are cellphones, or supercomputers or exoskeletons doesn't mean it has to take place beyond some arbritary date you so happen to find fitting.
That's what I mean with your point about cellphones doesn't matter, fictional worlds with much higher tech then the real world aren't exactly uncommon.

The only thing I think they'll modify are things that were fan theories, like Gen and Gouken being SiN clones (which, can still be a thing, but it doesn't really matter either way).

Man, I'm really surprised this is still a thing people remember. There isn't a reason to modify those things because there was never any actual evidence for that theory in the first place. It was all just shit Vasili made up when he took over that old Street Fighter Plot Guide. The drama when that all fell apart was pretty great though...

Pompadour

Clearly Street Fighter V takes place in the 90's otherwise Ken would look like this:

Street_Fighter_2010_box.jpg

Man, I'm really surprised this is still a thing people remember. There isn't a reason to modify those things because there was never any actual evidence for that theory in the first place. It was all just shit Vasili made up when he took over that old Street Fighter Plot Guide. The drama when that all fell apart was pretty great though...

Probably because I've memorized that plot guide through and through, but I just recently read about the Gen/Gouken being bunk. Whatta shame.

Scotia

Banned
Hour long Capcom Panel for Street Fighter 30th Anniversary.

April 1st, 2:30 - 3:30 PM

http://www.comic-con.org/wca/programming-schedule

Get an exclusive look at the latest news and updates surrounding the year-long celebrations of Street Fighter's 30th anniversary. Expect sneak peeks at all the products and titles being developed, updates on the Capcom Pro Tour, and a few surprises as well!

Next character reveal will probably happen here I'd imagine.

Village

You don't decide the rules, .

I don't. I'm not capcom, ono or whoever is tasked with developing the lore side of street fighter.

However, I am using common terminology such as the idea of a retcon, one of the most common things in fiction nowadays along with the real world elements implemented in this game, like HD tv',s wifi, computers that look like they were made past the year 2002, cellphones and the internet, modern slang, modern cars, to suggest that things take place in a certain era. Which is an actual argument.

Unlike yours which is, which is the functional equivalent of " Well everyone dies so who cares" . I mean you aren't wrong, everyone dies and fiction is function. But if we are going to break things down argumentatively to concepts as broad as this, why even argue in the first place. Why are you on a forum, clearly you are set in your ways and you don't care enough to devise a reason beyond the most nothing " nothing matters" statements ever. So clearly you don't care enough to defend your own point, just to restate it. So what are we doing here. Unless you conceded that fiction and analysis of said fiction based on real world things do matter and are a thing, then you have to actually have an argument.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Why are you on a forum, clearly you are set in your ways and you don't care enough to devise a reason beyond the most nothing " nothing matters" statements ever.

I never said nothing matters, you somehow constructed that argument when I replied to a very specific thing.
Your point about the cellphones "means nothing in fiction" because it doesn't proof that now suddenly it has to take place beyond that arbritrary date you felt comfortable with.
You just feel that way, I don't.
Because, as I've said before, fictional worlds with higher tech levels than the real world exist and aren't uncommon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voOr17nc6MU

Just saw Vesperarcade's Alex update video. Season 2.5 really is Revert Fighter V for some characters. I knew it just from reading his changes, but seeing and hearing it being explained really emphasized how Capcom more or less screwed up massively with season 2 nerfs for many characters. Can't wait to see all the others because they'll give me insight into how nerfs and buffs for specific characters should impact the game. Otherwise I'd probably have very little idea what they did with characters like Vega and Fang.
Hour long Capcom Panel for Street Fighter 30th Anniversary.

April 1st, 2:30 - 3:30 PM

http://www.comic-con.org/wca/programming-schedule

Next character reveal will probably happen here I'd imagine.
Seems like the best time to announce a date for nostalgia costumes, with it being the anniversary and all.
On the first of April? This is the perfect way to continue to troll Ibuki and Alex fans. I ain't even mad anymore.

Season 2 just felt at odds with itself. Like the system changes weren't properly aligned with the character ones. 92 pages of patchnotes will do that do you, but 2.5 looks a lot better regardless.

Probably because I've memorized that plot guide through and through, but I just recently read about the Gen/Gouken being bunk. Whatta shame.

Man, if you haven't taken the time to read through the Story Guide thread on the SRK forums you should. The drama gets pretty hilarious. If it helps, the original Tiamat version of the guide was largely accurate for the time. Everything Vasili added should be taken with a massive grain of salt. He really went nuts.

Man, if you haven't taken the time to read through the Story Guide thread on the SRK forums you should. The drama gets pretty hilarious. If it helps, the original Tiamat version of the guide was largely accurate for the time. Everything Vasili added should be taken with a massive grain of salt. He really went nuts.

Oh god. I just caught some of the tail end of it.

And then someone else wrote 765 pages of mostly fan theories. Like Jesus Christ.

Village

Yo i modded this remix of rogs from A3 theme over his normal theme, shit gets me hype every time I play him. For better or for worse

That sounds like a fun way to stay up all night and catch up on a clusterfuck of bullshit you missed. That's the best shit when you didn't even know shit happened, its like walking through the ruins of a destroyed civilization

Season 2 just felt at odds with itself. Like the system changes weren't properly aligned with the character ones. 92 pages of patchnotes will do that do you, but 2.5 looks a lot better regardless.
I'm still mad that they didn't revert v-reversal nerfs or increase white life's regeneration speed even slightly. I figured we'd get slightly faster white life recovery at the very least.

Oh god. I just caught some of the tail end of it.

And then someone else wrote 765 pages of mostly fan theories. Like Jesus Christ.

That sounds like a fun way to stay up all night and catch up on a clusterfuck of bullshit you missed. That's the best shit when you didn't even know shit happened, its like walking through the ruins of a destroyed civilization

Street Fighter Lore is serious business, you guys. The arguments we have here are nothing compared to the shit on SRK or Capcom Unity. It's near Sonic the Hedgehog fandom levels of crazy.

Village

Street Fighter Lore is serious business, you guys. The arguments we have here are nothing compared to the shit on SRK or Capcom Unity. It's near Sonic the Hedgehog fandom levels of crazy.
As a guy who likes and talks about sonic, i've seen much much worse than sonic lore talk. Comic book talk and Zelda talk make sonic look like a functioning congress, and sonic talk isn't really that bad. Now Sonic comic book lore talk, woo boy. That's .... that's a story time.

PTSD FLASHBACKS

One day I'm going to make a youtube video about that shit

I'll check it out though, you gotta link?

As a guy who likes and talks about sonic, i've seen much much worse than sonic lore talk. Comic book talk and Zelda talk make sonic look like a functioning congress, and sonic talk isn't really that bad. Now Sonic comic book lore talk, woo boy. That's .... that's a story time.

PTSD FLASHBACKS

One day I'm going to make a youtube video about that shit

I'll check it out though, you gotta link?

This is the thread, but I don't remember at what page the drama starts. It was sometime in 2013 if I remember correctly, but that thread goes back 15 years or so. Also, I'd love to see a video about Sonic lore drama. It sounds like it'd be hilarious. I don't have too much familiarity with Zelda talk outside of GAF, but most comic book discussions I've had online have been pretty mild. I think the craziest shit I've seen has been from Power Rangers fans, actually...

Village

This is the thread, but I don't remember at what page the drama starts. It was sometime in 2013 if I remember correctly, but that thread goes back 15 years or so. Also, I'd love to see a video about Sonic lore drama. It sounds like it'd be hilarious. I don't have too much familiarity with Zelda talk outside of GAF, but most comic book discussions I've had online have been pretty mild. I think the craziest shit I've seen has been from Power Rangers fans, actually...

Tag says 15 years ago

I was 9, jeeesh.

I've seen and gottten into wild comic discussions. Zelda talk is... its not a good time. As for sonic, its more so the comic, the games are ussually cut and dry as to what happens the worst you get into is someone not liking something or power level arguments. The comic book is, that shit is a conundrum wrapped in a mystery. So many questions, To put it briefly, there is a lot of shit that comic did that I am astounded they got away with before sega decided to force a hard reboot with rules onto them. But that's a story for a well annotated well researched commentary youtube video for another time.

FluxWaveZ

Just faced Smug online in Ranked. It ended 2-1 for him. That was amazing; it's so obvious how facing players of that caliber on a regular basis would level a player up significantly.

FluxWaveZ

So what you are saying is, we all need to train at a 100x normal gravity.

Sure, that's the feeling. It's why I've wondered if playing the game on 2x speed and then returning to the normal speed would improve your reactions.

My match was streamed, it seems. There was a particular Nadeshiko setup I messed up twice due to nerves.

Gotta get to Master rank soon... then I'll be able to play against people like this more often.

Xeteh

So I haven't played SFV in forever but I'm really enjoying messing around with Kolin... I can totally see me being terrible with her but she seems fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom