• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. Wii U, new Mario and Mario Kart @ E3 this year

Bgamer90

Banned
This really doesn't make sense to me. The Uncharted games have not really changed aside from becoming better looking and more cinematic.

The Uncharted games have only been around for one gen though. I'm pretty sure that the game will change even more with a sequel on a more powerful console.

I don't play Halo, but from what I can tell not a whole lot changes from game to game.

You don't play it though.

Zelda, and mainline 3D Mario change far more from game to game imo. Twilight Princess was the only recent one which was supposed to be a throwback and thus didn't change much, and of course SMG2 was a direct sequel. I see plenty of reason for people to be interested in new Nintendo games.

You see plenty of reasons for people to be interested in new Nintendo games because you are interested in them yourself. And that's perfectly fine.

However, what I'm saying is that people shouldn't be surprised if some don't have the same amount of hype for the games. The reasons why some wouldn't are pretty understandable.

Appleman

I'm way more interested in seeing my favourite Nintendo franchises make the jump to HD than to see the "realistic" franchises make the jump to.... more accurate lighting and higher-res textures?

Pumped for next gen stuff as well, but I just want to see more of Nintendo's software lineup

I for one am excited with rehashed IPs because (in nintendo's case) it hardly ever translates to rehashed content.

Exactly. Nintendo's mainline franchises that everyone complains about them always rehashing are usually stunningly different compared to thing like CoD, Uncharted, Halo, Forza, etc that no one complains about

pswii60

Smash Bros. Wii U, new Mario and Mario Kart @ E3 this year
Nintendo really thinking outside the box with those.

I've no doubt they'll heathily innovate within each franchise (perhaps not Mario Kart so much), but this is Nintendo on repeat.

I'm way more interested in seeing my favourite Nintendo franchises make the jump to HD than to see the "realistic" franchises make the jump to.... more accurate lighting and higher-res textures?

Pumped for next gen stuff as well, but I just want to see more of Nintendo's software lineup
Yeah Nintendo-4Life has a point, it doesn't make much sense to come down on expected titles, yet prop up games like Uncharted or Halo just because it's going to look much better, especially since Nintendo games will look better too.

Sayah

The Uncharted games have only been around for one gen though. I'm pretty sure that the game will change even more with a sequel on a more powerful console.

What about God of War then? It's unfortunate when people think Mario and Zelda are stagnant IP's. Many iterations within these franchises innovate and bring fresh, unprecedented new ideas to the forefront. It's not the same repeated formula over and over again like you see with many other series.

Zarovitch

I for one am excited with rehashed IPs because (in nintendo's case) it hardly ever translates to rehashed content.

There's habitually enough change in the gameplay to make it fresh.
Fantasy game's seem more easy to innovate in the gameplay, game's like Gear of War, Call of Duty (games i like) feel already old.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

Exactly. Nintendo's mainline franchises that everyone complains about them always rehashing are usually stunningly different compared to thing like CoD, Uncharted, Halo, Forza, etc that no one complains about

the galaxy series and mario kart retro tracks are the exceptions but for the most part I think this holds true. uncharted is going to get stale (which is why I'm so excited about the last of us - it seems like a survival game with uncharted mechanics) halo and COD is already stale (though admittedly I still get hyped for it each year and will probably buy next gen COD).

Ithil

Or maybe because those games will more than likely be bigger steps up from their predecessors on older consoles in comparison to the upcoming exclusive Wii U Nintendo games.

You are comparing "AAA movie spectacle-like" games to "typical" video games.

So Halo 2 to Halo 3 will be a bigger jump than say SSBB to SSB4?

Sandfox

Nintendo uses the same IPs for multiple gens but they tend to only release one or two games from the ips on a system so that's the trade off.

What about God of War then? It's unfortunate when people think Mario and Zelda are stagnant IP's. Many iterations within these franchises innovate and bring fresh, unprecedented new ideas to the forefront. It's not the same repeated formula over and over again like you see with many other series.

I honestly feel that Santa Monica is out of ideas for GoW.

RAWi

The crucial thing here is that...

Yes. We already knew these games would come some day...

BUT, Having them presented and revealed on this E3 2013?! DAAAAMN!

The crucial thing here is that...

Yes. We already knew these games would come some day...

BUT, Having them presented and revealed on this E3 2013?! DAAAAMN!

Given that the wii u was announced and revealed in 2011, I would say that they have taken their sweet time in announcing the default line up.

I understand being weary of Mario Kart, but we rarely get games like Smash and 3D Mario. We only get to play these games once a generation! (SMG2 being the exception)

Bgamer90

Banned

Part of that is because many games from Nintendo series usually come out once or twice per gen.

The same isn't true for many PS/Xbox franchises. Many will have 2-3 iterations in a gen. This gen had more than normal since this gen has gone on for so long.

Heck, if anything that's part of the reason why many want to see how the games will be on next gen consoles. They want to see what more could be done on newer hardware in comparison to improvements of new iterations on old 6-7 year old consoles.

Darryl

Banned
I never said that people should only be excited for that.

However, when it comes to new ($300+) consoles, it's obvious as to why some people would rather want to see bleeding-edge tech in comparison to what Nintendo's giving.

my bad, i didn't think this was leading into a console war argument. i thought we were just talking about the games

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah Nintendo-4Life has a point, it doesn't make much sense to come down on expected titles, yet prop up games like Uncharted or Halo just because it's going to look much better, especially since Nintendo games will look better too.

There's a difference in the looks of both sets of games though as well as what the games are overall going for.

Again, I'm not saying that it's wrong to be more excited for Nintendo over PS/Xbox, however at the same time I don't get why ones can't understand why some would feel vice versa.

And it's not hypocritical at all considering the fact they we are comparing completely different types of games. Saying that it is comes makes one comes off as someone who can't handle a difference of opinion.

Bgamer90

Banned
my bad, i didn't think this was leading into a console war argument. i thought we were just talking about the games

Heh, oh my goodness. Really? Seriously?

This was simply about why some would be interested in something else. It was never a console war.

Also, games are the main reason why people buy a console right?

You guys really love to make a mountain out of a molehill.

tmarques

And we got three of them on the same machine.

I'm not convinced Uncharted will change that much aside from prettier graphics, but we'll see.

Pineconn

image.php

Excited for E3. Can't wait to see some good, fleshed out reveals.

jerd

GAF Pre-Direct: LOL Wii U doesn't even have any First-Party Nintendo games announced!

GAF Post-Direct: Pshh big deal. Nintendo games on Nintendo console. We already knew these were coming. Yawn!

When did we get to the point where we are complaining about Smash, 3D Mario, Zelda, New IPs like W101 and presumably X (I'm not entirely convinced its a Xenoblade sequel but I wouldn't really be surprised), and a crossover game between two amazing franchises? I know that people want to see something new and fresh (I specifically said this was the one thing I wanted from the direct), but it is like when these things aren't coming, people are pining for these games.

I'm off my soap box now.

DaBoss

The only thing that you said that is somewhat misguided is this:

Or maybe because those games will more than likely be bigger steps up from their predecessors on older consoles in comparison to the upcoming exclusive Wii U Nintendo games.

You are comparing "AAA movie spectacle-like" games to "typical" video games.

Nintendo-4life was saying that because people are downplaying the news of Smash, 3D Mario, and Mario Kart being at E3 since it was "expected". It, like you were saying, can be hyped about too.

Then you go on to say Uncharted 3->Uncharted 4 will be a bigger step than exclusive Nintendo video games previous iteration to the next (you're collectively including all Nintendo games). And then saying they aren't AAA games. And the next post you say the reason is because you prefer photo-realism.

Darryl

Banned
Heh, oh my goodness. Really? Seriously?

This was simply about why some would be interested in something else. It was never a console war.

just re-reading the message string, i don't think you even know what you're trying to talk about anymore. maybe stop mixing all of the posters in here who disagree with you under an umbrella called "you guys".

There's a difference in the looks of both sets of games though as well as what the games are overall going for.

Again, I'm not saying that it's wrong to be more excited for Nintendo over PS/Xbox, however at the same time I don't get why ones can't understand why some would feel vice versa.

And it's not hypocritical at all considering the fact they we are comparing completely different types of games. Saying that it is comes makes one comes off as someone who can't handle a difference of opinion.

They're all going to look much better than their last gen entries which you brought up as a reason why it makes sense to be excited for expected entries on the PS and Xbox consoles compared to Nintendo.

Neo C.

You know, For each console, Nintendo makes one Mario Kart, one Smash Bros, and only in last gen more than one 3D Mario, yet people complain. Kinda ridiculous.

Mr. Fix

Smash Bros. with good online functionality? Could it really happen?

Perhaps. The 3DS games are alright with it, so it could only improve. At the very least, Mario Kart'll be smooth as fuck. Mario Kart Wii and 7 were excellent for me.

All this is going to amount to is a teaser montage of Smash/Zelda/Mario/Mario Kart (a couple of seconds each) while the rest of Nintendo's E3 conference will talk about some new feature that the rest of the GAF will deem too casual.

I'm totally convinced that if you translate "F-Zero and StarFox" from English to Japanese, it actually says "Mario 3D and Mario Kart".

It must be the only explination for our cries being ignored.

Bgamer90

Banned
Then you go on to say Uncharted 3->Uncharted 4 will be a bigger step than exclusive Nintendo video games previous iteration to the next (you're collectively including all Nintendo games). And then saying they aren't AAA games. And the next post you say the reason is because you prefer photo-realism.

You are putting words in my mouth and/or are misunderstanding me.

I did say that those games would be bigger steps up in terms of what some people want to see when it comes to a next gen console. However, I never said that Nintendo games weren't "AAA" games. Nintendo exclusives are "AAA" games... however they aren't of the same nature as the "movie spectacle-like AAA" games on PS/Xbox.

I also never said that I prefer photo-realism. I just said that it's easier for many to see the jump in graphics when the games are going for a more photo-realistic look; hence, why some prefer those games.

For me personally, I just like (in my opinion) good looking games no matter the style. For example, Rayman Origins looks really good to me.

All this is going to amount to is a teaser montage of Smash/Zelda/Mario/Mario Kart (a couple of seconds each) while the rest of Nintendo's E3 conference will talk about some new feature that the rest of the GAF will deem too casual.

Iwata said Kart and Mario would be playable at E3

Daschysta

"lol" in agreement or in disagreement?

If the latter, then I don't see what there is to disagree about.

Not really. Nintendo games don't go for realism. They are more creative in style. Therefore, many games on the Wii U just look like HD versions of Wii games.

Heh ok.

A bigger jump than the PS3 to PS4? How do you know this?

And no, this discussion was never about Dark Souls 2. It was about typical Nintendo franchises that every knew was coming.

I also never said that there's nothing wrong with hyping any Nintendo games. If you are interested in them, go ahead.

All I'm saying is that games like Halo and Uncharted are easier for many to have "next gen hype" for than Nintendo franchises that have been around for more than 25 years.

Getting so defensive over nothing. Wow.

Easier to have next gen hype for? It's obvious that Wii-U, which is more powerful than 360 and PS4 is a bigger jump from the gamecube-esque wii than either next gen system will be from their predecessors, it's diminishing returns and all rumours which point to it.

Also Halo and Uncharted and the like come out a hell of a lot faster than ANY of nintendo's triple A franchises, it IS hypocritical. If anything the jump from SD to HD is going to be much bigger than the jump from 720 P to whatever resolution (maybe even sup 1080p) the biggest next gen games display in. The jump from xenoblade to X is much more pronounced than the jump you're going to see from any PS360 franchise to their sequel on Orbis or Durango, guaranteed.

Games like Uncharted and Halo are just as "inevitable" as any big Nintendo franchise at this point. It isn't a question of whether MS will have Halo on their next system anymore than whether there will be a mainline Mario or Zelda on the Wii-U.

Heh, no.

It's because many Nintendo games are of a different mold/form than games such as Forza, GT, God of War, Halo, Gears, Uncharted, etc.

I mean, this is obvious correct?

Those games go for realism... therefore many would anticipate seeing how they would be on next gen consoles with more power.

lol, "Big Boy"? Really?

The games are just going for different things.

A Zelda game in the mold of twilight princess or Ocarina is no less realistic than God of War or Halo. Ditto to Metroid Prime games. Ditto to Monolithsoft's stuff. Also games that go for a "realistic" look aren't any more technically demanding than games that project a fantasy-scape.

Kinyou

Perhaps. The 3DS games are alright with it, so it could only improve. At the very least, Mario Kart'll be smooth as fuck. Mario Kart Wii and 7 were excellent for me.
It's weird how the simple prospect of playing nintendo games in HD and good online modes gets me all excited.

Top Bottom