• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more exclusives throughout the year

oti

Banned
Oh yay, another MS concern thread along with lists.

PS4 output from third parties, while refreshingly amazing, is the anomaly. Or do you all have extremely short term memories to not remember how crappy Sony's output was last year?

Or are you expecting another Persona, Horizon, and Nioh to grace your shelves in the first quarter next year?

"but what about Sony?!?!?!"

GHG

Gold Member
They did a lot of 3rd party exclusive deals early with 360 that paid off because (I guess) the console had more mind share than XB1.

But first party was really 1-2 games per year.

I can say they tried to do this 3rd party exclusive deals with XB1 but they lost the mind share and the deals didn't pay off this gen.

The fact is, exclusives are exclusives. It doesn't matter if they are 1st party or 3rd party, they make the console worthwhile from the perspective of those of us who like to try as many unique titles as possible.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Yeah, PS4's console exclusive lineup in the first half of 2017 is nothing short of insane:

- Gravity Rush 2
- Yakuza 0
- Nioh
- Nier Automata
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Persona 5
- Crash Bandicoot
- Nex Machina
- Pyre
- Hellblade

Vs. the following on Xbox
- Halo Wars 2
- Tacoma

Funny thing about your list.

Sony themselves only made 2 games there.

Microsoft none.

For all the first party output talk that goes on, Sony doesn't actually output that much more than Microsoft when all is said and done.

Ironically Nintendo probably puts out more than both combined. Just not on the console everyone wants them to.

PS4 output from third parties, while refreshingly amazing, is the anomaly. Or do you all have extremely short term memories to not remember how crappy Sony's output was last year?

Or are you expecting another Persona, Horizon, and Nioh to grace your shelves in the first quarter next year?

lol you mean last year when Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank were two of the best games of the year and released in the first half?

Or next year when God of War and Spider-Man are slated for release? Not to mention possibly Days Gone, Detroit, etc.

xabbott

I've got all the consoles but I do prefer using my XB1 and wish they would increase first party output. Sadly though I don't think it would help them much. Even when MS had games like Sunset, Ori, Tomb Raider, Oxenfree, exclusively or first it didn't matter. Not to say they should give up but I do wonder if they're better off just working on a much bigger game that could take a few years to finish vs trying to fill spots in the year.

At least once the XB1X comes out my third party games will be nicer there.

oti

Banned

Microsoft none.

For all the first party output talk that goes on, Sony doesn't actually output that much more than Microsoft when all is said and done.

Ironically Nintendo probably puts out more than both combined. Just not on the console everyone wants them to.

It's a thread about exclusive games.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
God of War?

I'm about to get inundated with a list with awesome games that are console exclusive for PS in the first quarter aren't I?

I'm not holding my breath for God of War. I'm one of those weird people that liked Dante's Infrerno more than God of War 3.

Microsoft none.

While true, I don't see why it matters? They are exclusive.

Withnail

Yeah, PS4's console exclusive lineup in the first half of 2017 is nothing short of insane:

- Gravity Rush 2
- Yakuza 0
- Nioh
- Nier Automata
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Persona 5
- Crash Bandicoot
- Nex Machina
- Pyre
- Hellblade

- Halo Wars 2
- Tacoma

Missing some on PS4

Wipeout Omega Collection
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Undertale (since you've counted PC games)
Matterfall
Everybody's Golf

Ascenion

It is relevant because if a wealthy company is interested in competing in an industry, they generally spend big. Unless you are suggesting that MS isn't really interested in the Xbox being competitive anymore, then yeah.

I don't know if they are. I'm getting mixed signals which could be coming from a lack of direction on the leadership side.

The last big move they made was purchasing Gears from Epic for some amount I'm assuming was in excess of 100 million, given that $1 billion dollar franchise comment. They obviously threw some R&D into the One X, yet aside from Forza and Crackdown they have no titles to showcase it coming from in house. At the same time they don't seem like they can be bothered to get ports on their system, or I don't know. They just on the whole seem less enthusiastic about the console business.

Tubie

It takes time to start quality first party studios and it takes time and money to bring talent to that studio, it takes even more money to keep talent in that studio if things initially don't go well.

It has taken Sony one generation and a half to build up to the studios they have right now.

MS is hopefully laying the groundwork for their first party output for late this gen and next gen.

Maybe. God of war, shadows of the collosus remake, ni no kuni 2, Spider-Man, possibly Detroit and or days gone, yakuza 6. They have a pretty stacked 2018 already.

Humdinger

Missing some on PS4

Wipeout Omega Collection
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Undertale (since you've counted PC games)
Matterfall
Everybody's Golf

Right. Plus, it's really not the "first half" of the year, at this point. It's the first two-thirds.

Also, there's Knack 2 next month, which will destroy all.

- Gravity Rush 2
- Yakuza 0
- Nioh
- Nier Automata
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Persona 5
- Crash Bandicoot
- Nex Machina
- Pyre
- Hellblade

- Halo Wars 2
- Tacoma

I can't really fault them for the third party exclusives since they're almost all Japanese games and there just isn't an audience for Japanese games on Xbox... But yeah, they need more than what they've been offering users.

RossoneR

Banned
People re expecting way too much from MS. And blindly believe in them.

They dont have enough internal studios.
Those they have re not enough talented.
They ve had 3 generations to build respectable portfolio and they failed imo.
Their best ip s forza which s not that big anyway. Even ips they have re not used enough or used properly.
All improvements Phil brought re mostly directed to better xbox and live as service for third parties. Why dont Turn 10 tries something new, 343 could maybe develop RPG...

At this point all they could do s use few billions to get some second parties and develope new ips only for xbox. Games take years to complete but sometimes MS seems like they re not even trying. Hoping they ll get their stuff together soon. I dont want domination of any manufacturer.

oti

Banned
Did OP not bring up Sony and Nintendo as points of comparison ?
MS is known for releasing their few exclusives at the end of the year. Sony has more and spreads them out over the entire year. Plus all the exclusives that wouldn't make sense to be released on Xbox.

I think it's a pretty hard turn to go "but that's just an anomaly Sony is bad too don't you remember".

That actually make games?

343, Coalition, Rare, Mojang, Turn 10

All of them but rare(for now) stuck on single franchises.

Rare
343 - Halo forever
Coalition - Gears forever
Mojang - Minecraft forever
The Forza studio

6359679991052069931630624195_giphy%20(19).gif

I got this.
Rare - Since they are already working on a New IP, have them work on a familiar franchise (Conker, Banjo or both will do)
343 - Split into 2 teams, one develops Halo for an eternity (or just end it on #6 and take a break) the other develops a New I.P
Coalition - Same thing ^
Mojang - It's simple, slap a #2 unto Minecraft, make it look less pixelated = $$$
Turn10 - Stick with Horizon and/or create a New IP that can compete with the likes of Burnout or old NFS games (that market is dry).

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It's a thread about exclusive games.

Over the course of this generation, they're not that far apart. But then, the major differentiator is the default Japanese exclusives. I say default because they're games that could have been on Xbox if the Japanese development industry gave two shots about Xbox. Which naturally they don't.

This gen has simply gone like each gen before it. So I don't know why people are surprised.

Microsoft comes out swinging with heaps of exclusives and tapers off.

Sony launches with fuck all then goescall out in the second half.

That's literally been the playbook since Gen 6 with these two.

I wish they were making a new Fable. That feels like such an omission.

They really should have funded a Sunset Overdrive 2 with how original it was.

Also I wish they still made Kinect games. Most of the 360 exclusives were Kinect games. It was the biggest difference in software for 360 aside from Gears, Halo, Forza and Fable.

My only complaint was that Microsoft needs to spread there exclusives out instead of jamming them in the fall and 2016 was a perfect time to do it, but now this year just got worse with lesser exclusives.

Also, yes I do expect God of War in the first quarter in March. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong.

I think MS is comfortable with how their gaming division is doing so they don't feel the need to pump out more exclusives. They still get most of big 3rd party western games on XB1 and that should be enough to keep XB1 in the market. It is too late to catch up with PS4 now and more exclusives won't change anything.

xabbott

I don't know if they are. I'm getting mixed signals which could be coming from a lack of direction on the leadership side.

The last big move they made was purchasing Gears from Epic for some amount I'm assuming was in excess of 100 million, given that $1 billion dollar franchise comment. They obviously threw some R&D into the One X, yet aside from Forza and Crackdown they have no titles to showcase it coming from in house. At the same time they don't seem like they can be bothered to get ports on their system, or I don't know. They just on the whole seem less enthusiastic about the console business.

Wasn't Mojang/Minecraft after that for like 2 billion? They also bought Havok and some other game related tech companies since.

I wish they were making a new Fable. That feels like such an omission.

They really should have funded a Sunset Overdrive 2 with how original it was.

Also I wish they still made Kinect games. Most of the 360 exclusives were Kinect games. It was the biggest difference in software for 360 aside from Gears, Halo, Forza and Fable.

Yeah. Sunset Overdrive 2 would have been amazing. The first game is so good. Imagine how different the conversation would be if that was just around the corner. Likewise, a proper new Fable game would get a ton of buzz, and I would have loved that.

Humdinger

This gen has simply gone like each gen before it. So I don't know why people are surprised.

True to some extent, though there are some differences. MS was strong in the first half of the 360 gen, then petered out in the last half. This gen, MS was strong out of the gate (in terms of exclusives), but the momentum didn't carry nearly as long as it did last gen, and they petered out much quicker. We're mid-way through, and it's been pretty dry for a couple years now. The paucity of releases didn't set in with the 360 until much later.

Sony does seem to be doing their usual thing -- starting slow, then building momentum as time goes on. Fortunately for PS4 owners, that means they'll continue to support PS4 as we move toward the PS5 launch -- even moreso than they did with the PS3, I expect, considering the install base.

oti

Banned
Over the course of this generation, they're not that far apart. But then, the major differentiator is the default Japanese exclusives. I say default because they're games that could have been on Xbox if the Japanese development industry gave two shots about Xbox. Which naturally they don't.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Is that accurate though? 🤔

Sony has way more studios, MS usually makes more deala to get exclusive games. And as you said, they spent tons of money at the beginning of the console and it all pretty much failed miserably. Quantum Break gone. Sunset Overdrive mega bomba. Dead Rising is dying or dead. Who knows how Gears and Halo are doing, but thanks to microtransactions they get more money out of each installment I guess. Minecraft and Ori must be the only hits they landed this gen, which is depressing. But Minecraft is a mega hit at least.

theWB27

As a consumer... why does it matter when they're released? Nothing is stopping you from spreading out when you play them.

Over the course of this generation, they're not that far apart.

I don't agree with this. Sony does start weaker and Microsoft starts at its strongest. But I feel the PS4 library as a whole already blows away Xbox One's catalogue, and that gap is only going to substantially widen.

It's not just the gaming side. Seems like the entire company has hunkered down a bit in terms of consumer stuff for the most part these days relying more on their third party partners.

If I recall correctly, around the Surface 3 pro/hololens time frame a lot of tech journalists called MS the most exciting tech company.

These days it feels like they have gone fairly quiet.

Actually, during the first 3 years of the 360 they had a great exclusive lineup that was diverse.

Don't know what changed to be honest. It's been steadily downhill since Peter Moore left.

Most of those "exclusives" were third party deals. Everyone fails to see that.

Nothing indicates that there's a bunch of new major (!) exclusives on their way to the XBOX platform, except the well-known IPs.

But I think that the whole pitch for XBOX has changed with the X anyhow. Instead of offering the most diverse and biggest library, they made it the best place to play 3rd party games, at the very least with regard to graphics.

This is where they're going, if it's a wise choice which will lead to the platform's turnaround in total sales and regaining market shares at least in its core territories remains to be seen. I for one don't think so.

Ascenion

Wasn't Mojang/Minecraft after that for like 2 billion? They also bought Havok and some other game related tech companies since.

You're right they did buy Minecraft, but I'm thinking at 2 billion that was less an Xbox thing and more a Microsoft thing. Same for Havok. Gears seems more like an Xbox oriented purchase. If they bought Epic outright Unreal engine and all then I might put that on par with Minecraft.

Indelible

This is the reason I have been contemplating selling my Xbox One, I like the system but it really isn't worth keeping for 1 or 2 exclusives a year.

Electret

As a consumer... why does it matter when they're released? Nothing is stopping you from spreading out when you play them.

One reason: it affects the probability that sequels are commissioned, and thus the overall franchise's health. We've seen a number of titles get crushed under the weight of those more prominent in the holiday season. As a consumer, I want the franchises I like to continue and succeed, and by extension want them to be released in favorable time windows.

Nothing indicates that there's a bunch of new major (!) exclusives on their way to the XBOX platform, except the well-known IPs.

But I think that the whole pitch for XBOX has changed with the X anyhow. Instead of offering the most diverse and biggest library, they made it the best place to play 3rd party games, at the very least with regard to graphics.

This is where they're going, if it's a wise choice which will lead to the platform's turnaround in total sales and regaining market shares at least in its core territories remains to be seen. I for one don't think so.

I don't think the best machine to play multiplats has been a significant determining factor in sales at least since the PS1, so it would appear XBX is more an attempt to expand reach to a higher-dollar segment of the market where a more limited population is willing to spend greater dollars.

hydruxo

I don't agree with this. Sony does start weaker and Microsoft starts at its strongest. But I feel the PS4 library as a whole already blows away Xbox One's catalogue, and that gap is only going to substantially widen.

Yeah I agree. I don't think it's even remotely close. Sony's catalog continues to grow while MS lags behind when they aren't putting out any exclusives for such a long period.

I think MS is comfortable with how their gaming division is doing so they don't feel the need to pump out more exclusives. They still get most of big 3rd party western games on XB1 and that should be enough to keep XB1 in the market. It is too late to catch up with PS4 now and more exclusives won't change anything.

You're right that it's likely too late to catch up with PS4, but I doubt MS is comfortable or satisfied with their exclusive output. The thing is they just don't have the long list of studios like Sony does, and most of the ones they do have are pinned down by one franchise. So that makes it difficult to stray from the norm.

Sony has 3rd party support in US, Europe and Japan. Microsoft has 3rd party support in US.

Sony has a larger userbase, which means they have more 3rd party exclusives this gen.

Sony put more money into 1st party exclusives than Microsoft this gen.

This all comes down to two potential focuses of each company, games and media. This was flip-flopped last generation with PS3 and Xbox 360. None of this should really be a story anymore since both consoles are doing well, PS4 is just doing extremely well. More exclusives to Xbox won't fit anything this gen because it's clearly not Microsoft's sole focus.

We'll see how things go next gen.

People keep forgetting that Microsoft and Sony literally shut out Nintendo for the first few years of this gen. It was no contest, and I think it's the first generation of consoles that Nintendo flat out couldn't keep up. Even with PS2, Xbox and Gamecube it wasn't that devastating to one company. There is room for everyone to grow in the coming years.

everyer

Last year was perfect from all I can remember... Uncharted 4 is amazing, Salt and Sanctuary is awesome, Alienation has so much fun when playing local co-op and online co-op, there are 2 exclusive JPRG I love most: Dragon Quest Builders (for me, much more interesting than MC and I will for sure pre-order DQB2 )and Final Fantasy World, meanwhile, DQH2,Root Letter,TOB all give me different feelings.

For 2018... Spiderman, God of War, NI NO KUNI 2,LOST SPHEAR,DQB2.... I'm so excited.

This is MS’s biggest issue, and by Phil’s own omission, will take years to fix. They’ve been focused on fixing the hardware and course correcting the XBOX platform after the terrible X1 launch, which means their first party output has fallen behind. Their few attempts at new exclusive IP this gen (Sunet Overdrive, ReCore, etc) have not landed in the way that Sony’s have.

This wouldn’t be as big of a deal if X1 was the still the best place for third-party, but since PS4 generally has the better multi-plat versions, AND has the larger installed base by 2:1, its a really shitty hole to be in.

I bought a PS4 Pro a couple months ago after seeing how dry the Xbox release schedule is and it was a great decision. Already i’ve finished off The Last Guardian, HZD, Uncharted 4, The Order, and I’m currently playing Hellblade. After that I still have Last of Us, Nier: Automata, Persona 5, and Final Fantasy 12 to get to, which should keep me busy until fall and God of War.

PS4 library is nuts right now. The Xbox library is so dry, i’m not even sure if i’m going to upgrade to an Xbox One X at launch. Right now i’m leaning towards just waiting until 2018 when i’ll have more of a backlog on Xbox.

Humdinger

You are correct. PS4 exclusives outweigh Xbox exclusives by a substantial margin, and it's not just restricted to Japanese games.

sam12

I never understand why people buy into what Phil Spencer says. Every year it's the same thing, new games are coming, but yet they never do. Since he has been in charge, they have closed more internal studios and cancelled more games than developing new ones. I don't see that changing in the future as the focus will be on GAAS and micro transactions to squeeze as much money out of people. This guy also tries to fool people when it comes to exclusive games that are mostly just times exclusives.

Top Bottom