• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Battlefield 4 Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggs

Banned
Simplest question on earth.

Will voice chat be integrated into the game, on PC ....

NOT BL

This is such a basic feature, and pubbing in BF3 sucks because you always have to find each servers personal Vent/Mumble/Team speak if you want to talk. BL chat is fucked, and there is no way to talk to random people, no one is going to add each other into freaking BL in game ...

I've tweeted people who work on BF3 about this numerous time, and they never respond. Anyone know if this will be incorporated?

New map from latest Road to Battlefield 4 Blog
This is probably the map that has the dam in it that was in the levolution trailer. If you look closely you can see a submarine as one of the assets.

xJ3qQht.jpg

Looks nice. The biggest issue I have with some of the level design in BF 3 are the maps that are basically narrow straight line that makes it difficult to slip out of a base and capture a point because there is no good way to avoid confrontation along the way.

Kashinoda

Banned
Looks nice. The biggest issue I have with some of the level design in BF 3 are the maps that are basically narrow straight line that makes it difficult to slip out of a base and capture a point because there is no good way to avoid confrontation along the way.

No they aren't, unless you're talking console here?

woober

Yeah, I was going to mention this too. Why aren't there more maps that fork out into multiple flag areas like these?

BF2_Daging64_map.jpg

Jalalabad+map.jpg

BF2_Mashtuur64_map.jpg

Man those were some of my favorite BF2 maps.

Damavand Peak has the same issue but doesn't seem to play as poorly as Metro.

I don't have a ton of experience with the game. I played a little at launch but I've actually just started really playing a couple weeks ago. I was shocked to hear that they were bringing back Metro because I have yet to play a round on that map that didn't result in one team or the other being pounded back into their spawn with no good way to slip out but maybe it's a much better rush map.

TCRS

Banned
I don't even play the large linear maps because of that reason. They haven't got it right since the first BF on consoles (there are exceptions). I want the BF2:MC type of maps back:

Backstab:
backstab9pl.jpeg

Deadly Pass:
Deadlypass7ow.jpg

tumblr_mjytuoubZE1rwlv7fo1_250.gif

Even the linear maps like Little Big Eye were not as boring as annoying and the linear maps in later BFs.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Damavand Peak has the same issue but doesn't seem to play as poorly as Metro.

I don't have a ton of experience with the game. I played a little at launch but I've actually just started really playing a couple weeks ago. I was shocked to hear that they were bringing back Metro because I have yet to play a round on that map that didn't result in one team or the other being pounded back into their spawn with no good way to slip out but maybe it's a much better rush map.

Nope. Even on Rush, it was a grenade-filled spam-fest.

I honestly like Metro, but I understand where the design concerns stem from. I think people like Metro since there's no vehicles, no OP jets, etc. It's just infantry mayhem and it's a blast taking out a ton of people using an LMG, C4, or flanking them and taking each and every one with precise shots.

Hopefully, BF4's maps will be better. Based from Paracel Storm and Seige of Shanghai, they're offering more routes to take each capture point in CQ. Also, there's Obliteration and one more mode to spice things up.

My main concern now is I'm hoping there will be enough players on PS4/Xbox One to hit that 64 player cap. I know games will be filled, but I also don't want my server browser to just have 8-10 games going on at the same time. =}

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Praise god.

Confirmed for PC or just consoles? Doesn't BF3 on consoles already have this? Still don't know why they didn't put it in PC version.

Yes, BF3 on consoles had team-wide integrated VOIP.

General and squad leader-commander chat were confirmed for PC here. At Gamescom, I believe it was clarified that voice chat was limited to just between squad members (and SL-CO), not for all team members.

I don't even play the large linear maps because of that reason. They haven't got it right since the first BF on consoles (there are exceptions). I want the BF2:MC type of maps back:

Backstab:

Deadly Pass:

Even the linear maps like Little Big Eye were not as boring as annoying and the linear maps in later BFs.

Fully with you there, mate.

Ubersnug

Given how close we are to launch now, I really wish DICE hurries up and starts releasing some concrete details, screenshots or even in game videos from the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game. It's all fair and well whetting out appetites with the amazing footage from the PC's version, but now I just want to see what sort of experience I can expect when I boot my Xbox One up come launch day.

I don't have unrealistic expectations and have already said I would be more than happy if the console versions are capable of matching thr looks of the PC's medium settings.

Just stop teasing us with conflicting information and start giving us early adopters a reason to start getting excited.

rafaelr

Just noticed Amazon UK are now offering the PS4 version of BF4 (with guide and expansion) for £40 nice to see prices coming down to current gen prices. Hopefully other launch titles will follow the price cut, £40 is the max I will pay for a game.

that price is certainly attractive. if there was any chance to know that they send it out in advance so i can get it by launch even if i´m not in uk, i´d preorder right it away.

Ubersnug

For those that have tried it, or perhaps this has already been covered; Does the storm that whips up in Paracel Storm have an adverse affect on how the helicopters fly? I really think this would be an awesome mechanic if true. Gi

has DICE commented on whether i can play with the same profil on diffrent plattforms?

probably will have to buy this fucker twice (pc and ps4) to play with all the people i want to.

Arnie

I wonder if the changing weather has an effect on the mobility of the Scout? In theory it should, but I wonder if that'd be too much of a frustration for the player. Seems fair, though. Boats are affected, I personally feel helicopters should be too.

Makoto

Was hyped for Titan mode to be the new gamemode revealed at Gamescom but I knew that wouldn't be the case. It just wouldn't work for 24-players.

so apparently BF4 will have different flight ceilings for jets and helicopters to prevent the attack chopper from zoom optics- camping.

https://twitter.com/Demize99/status/374771729534844928
I don't know if this will be enough. In my experience, the problem isn't that helicopters are camping high above the map to do anything, it's that they're so far beyond the borders of the map (or the opposing team's reach) to do anything about them.

Reduce the attack chopper's flight ceiling and restrict their borders on the maps, I say.

zma1013

Was hyped for Titan mode to be the new gamemode revealed at Gamescom but I knew that wouldn't be the case. It just wouldn't work for 24-players.

I don't know if this will be enough. In my experience, the problem isn't that helicopters are camping high above the map to do anything, it's that they're so far beyond the borders of the map (or the opposing team's reach) to do anything about them.

Reduce the attack chopper's flight ceiling and restrict their borders on the maps, I say.

Seems a bit silly to do that when a much more simple solution would simply be to limit the range of it's projectiles. Chopper sniping from a mile away? Make the bullets only go a half mile. Of course, give some sort of feedback to the chopper as to what is in range and what's out of range.

riflen

To be fair to DICE, this can't be fixed by balancing items or flight ceilings without ruining fun for legit players. If the game were played as intended, it would be trivial to take out that chopper. You simply need co-ordination between players instead of 32 guys lone-wolfing it.

Combine the loan-wolfing with the fact that many, many, many BF3 servers are instant vehicle respawn and you can have a completely broken experience if someone with half a brain wants to spend their time griefing a server.

To my mind, DICE have taken the best approach by implementing a "Classic Battlefield" filter in the BF4 server browser. That way all the people who want instant respawn can have it and those who want a more tactical, considered match can get that too.

Blutonium

BFBC2 like destruction and MCOM's? Yaaaaay!

I really do hope Métro returns. Métro's only problem is the fact you can't use the traintunnels, which would enable awesome flanking oppurtunities. Right now it has horrible bottlenecks...I hope they fix this in BF4.

zma1013

To be fair to DICE, this can't be fixed by balancing items or flight ceilings without ruining fun for legit players. If the game were played as intended, it would be trivial to take out that chopper. You simply need co-ordination between players instead of 32 guys lone-wolfing it.

Combine the loan-wolfing with the fact that many, many, many BF3 servers are instant vehicle respawn and you can have a completely broken experience if someone with half a brain wants to spend their time griefing a server.

To my mind, DICE have taken the best approach by implementing a "Classic Battlefield" filter in the BF4 server browser. That way all the people who want instant respawn can have it and those who want a more tactical, considered match can get that too.

The only way to actually take out a sniping chopper is by jet or another helicopter. If your team has no good pilots, there's not much you can do, team work or no team work. You basically rely solely on good air power to take out other good air power. The ground has no way of countering a sniping chopper, which I believe is where a lot of the complaints come from.

I'd love to see increased ticket bleed rate in Conquest and an increased ticket count to balance it out. That would emphasize the need to capture points, de-emphasize kill to death ratio, extend the length of highly contested matches and decrease the length of complete steamrolls.

Tekku

Are we going to see the same helicopter rocket pod spamming and kamikaze pilots as we did in BF3?

The flight ceiling for helicopters will be lowered in BF4, in order to force players out of hover camping exploits. Attack helis will most likely be closer to the ground now, flying actively, which gives people a better chance of shooting them down.

Also engineers can carry RPG and stingers at the same time now and boats pack a lot of serious anti-air capabilities.

AND we will have a limited number of flares. So yeah, good luck pilots. :)

so, so good. now I have to choose between that and the AN-94.

I'm glad they put it back as burst fire, the M16 ruined a good chunk of BF3 when it launched because of how stupidly OP it was. Actually it still is.

I hope for more changes like this to promote more diverse loadouts especially with all the attachments coming too

The flight ceiling for helicopters will be lowered in BF4, in order to force players out of hover camping exploits. Attack helis will most likely be closer to the ground now, flying actively, which gives people a better chance of shooting them down.

Also engineers can carry RPG and stingers at the same time now and boats pack a lot of serious anti-air capabilities.

AND we will have a limited number of flares. So yeah, good luck pilots. :)

Apparently the boats are stronger than tanks at this current time packing some serious firepower. I think all these changes will bring a nice sense of constant movement and progression. At least I hope so, but knowing people they will bitch and moan until DICE patches the game and breaks more stuff

zma1013

I'd love to see increased ticket bleed rate in Conquest and an increased ticket count to balance it out. That would emphasize the need to capture points, de-emphasize kill to death ratio, extend the length of highly contested matches and decrease the length of complete steamrolls.

Not that I disagree with your view about how a lot of games seem to end up, but I'm failing to see how your solution would change anything. You assume that these sorts of players care whether the game is won. They do not. Going 40 - 2 in a game is satisfying to a lot of people, regardless of whether you win the match or not. As long as they get theirs, nobody cares in the typical pubs. You'll also still have those snipers on the hills and the suiciding C4 jeeps that aren't actually playing to win. All you're doing is changing how the tickets work and not actually de-emphasizing KDR.

Not that I disagree with your view about how a lot of games seem to end up, but I'm failing to see how your solution would change anything. You assume that these sorts of players care whether the game is won. They do not. Going 40 - 2 in a game is satisfying to a lot of people, regardless of whether you win the match or not. As long as they get theirs, nobody cares in the typical pubs. You'll also still have those snipers on the hills and the suiciding C4 jeeps that aren't actually playing to win. All you're doing is changing how the tickets work and not actually de-emphasizing KDR.

If a player doesn't care if they win or lose there is nothing that can be done to influence their behavior. That's fine, let them play conquest as TDM, just limit their influence on victory.

Also, like I said, the games that are highly contested are lengthened. The games that are not are shortened.

I am certain ticket bleed was much more significant when I played BF1942 and I also remember more players focused on defending and attacking control points.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

I've been saying it for years: Drop the KDR stat. Drop it completely from Battlelog. Hell, drop anything that isn't the accuracy stat from Battlelog. Win Loss? Who gives a shit, play your very best.

You kill 8 dudes and don't die? Whoopie! That's good for you but since the stat isn't shown, who the fuck cares?

Why DICE and other shooter devs don't copy Valve in the Team Fortress 2 stat way, I'll never know. It boggles my mind why more devs don't do it that way since it changes the game from stats wanking to playing for the objective/fun.

so, so good. now I have to choose between that and the AN-94.

M16. AN-94 was hot flaming trash in BF3 unless you kept it full-auto (and even then it was still hot flaming trash). If DICE fixed it to be like the KH2000 or the AN-94 in BC2 then OMG that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom