• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grimoire Heralds of the Winged Exemplar, a game in development for 20 years, releases

mindatlarge

Saw this played for some time on Twitch last night. Looked pretty rough and turned me off. Learning about what went down in the past sealed the deal. No buy.

Can anyone explain the incline meme to me? The game is the herald of the incline of rpgs instead of the decline?

Pretty much. The forces of decline are the dev studios that strayed away from traditional RPGs or casualized the genre while Grimoire is the game that will bring back the golden age of computer RPGs (the 90s.)

Ekai

This guy's profile sure is something lol:

This guy sounds like the Neil Breen of video game development.

And that's not a compliment.

I also found this (weird) board in French where people make fun of his batshit crazy posts (quoted in the link) on another board, but I couldn't find the forum they're referencing: http://www.morebacks.com/topic/2886-cleveland-mark-blakemore-le-dernier-übermensch/

The quotes are amazing and distressing at the same time. The guy lost his mind in his game.

Edit: his blog is phenomenal. This is how he describes the US leaving the Paris agreement: "TRUMPED. NWO OWNED. BIGGEST SETBACK FOR ROTHCHILDS IN OVER A CENTURY."

So this guy is an insane right-winger. Good to know to avoid this trashfire.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
To add to this dudes fuckery, he ran not one, but two separate IndieGoGo campaigns for this game, took folks money and still hasn't sent them keys for this released game. He still has time to shitpost 5000 times per minute on the codex though.

Cartho

For such a pseudo intellectual snob, he sure has given his game a shit title. I mean "Grimoire: heralds of the winged exemplar" sounds like someone just used a generic fantasy word generator.

I also found this (weird) board in French where people make fun of his batshit crazy posts (quoted in the link) on another board, but I couldn't find the forum they're referencing: http://www.morebacks.com/topic/2886-cleveland-mark-blakemore-le-dernier-übermensch/

The quotes are amazing and distressing at the same time. The guy lost his mind in his game.

Edit: his blog is phenomenal. This is how he describes the US leaving the Paris agreement: "TRUMPED. NWO OWNED. BIGGEST SETBACK FOR ROTHCHILDS IN OVER A CENTURY."

A translation link to his blog plz

For such a pseudo intellectual snob, he sure has given his game a shit title. I mean "Grimoire: heralds of the winged exemplar" sounds like someone just used a generic fantasy word generator.

I think it's a deliberate throwback to older title style where Series: Episode Title wasn't actually that unusual. The game is very obviously inspired by games like the Dungeon Master series which have titles of exactly that form.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The end part of that weird ass trailer made me a bit sad. The one about the 'biggest fan' who died without ever seeing the game coming to market.

Game itself looks kinda interesting really, a shame they didn't move it to widescreen though.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

If you want to see what kind of person they are just go to when Obama won. i posted a screen shot of his racist tirades in the other thread but deleted it because honestly the shit is nsfl.

If you want to see what kind of person they are just go to when Obama won. i posted a screen shot of his racist tirades in the other thread but deleted it because honestly the shit is nsfl.

I had no idea RPG Codex was so alt right. I guess it makes sense given the idea of them I had in my head. I imagine No Mutants Allowed is basically the same too, though I'm too afraid to check.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I had no idea RPG Codex was so alt right. I guess it makes sense given the idea of them I had in my head. I imagine No Mutants Allowed is basically the same too, though I'm too afraid to check.

i dont know how the Codex is right now but Cleve was too much even for them years ago.

Fevaweva

RPG Codex are like an alt-right idiot savant. Their articles on RPGs are top-tier, but their forum is revolting and filled with horrible people.

i dont know how the Codex is right now but Cleve was too much even for them years ago.

They use words like SJW, Cuck, Faggot and various racist terminology with wild abandon.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
They use words like SJW, Cuck, Faggot and various racist terminology with wild abandon.
i havent frequented the Codex forums in a decade or so but im not really surprised. At the time the mindset was that of 4chan in that the most shocking or revolting the language was, the better.

Quixzlizx

Can anyone explain the incline meme to me? The game is the herald of the incline of rpgs instead of the decline?

It's terminology from RPG Codex, which is an unmoderated hive of scum and villainy.

Edit: Looks like I was beaten... they even have a Jew emoji to represent cheapness

If you don't understand something so obvious, he'd probably call you a bell curve average wrecker. Not that you'd mind, apparently.

What's obvious? He's hilariously crazy but there's nothing offensive in his posts, unless you choose to be offended by it. He thinks he is of superior mind and only the worthy are deserving of his game. Why berate him for that unless you yourself have some issues with low self-esteem? He is not in any position of power where his narcissism can actually hurt to begin with. Note that I am talking about posts in regards to the game, couldn't care less about his political statements.

As to Codex, majority of the people lean on the right, but there's plenty of liberals and it's not more of an echo chamber than NeoGAF is. Unlike here, you won't get banned for leaning left.

As someone who loves this style of game I'm actually sad that it seems to be such a clusterfuck, both in terms of the software and of the developer's behaviour. Guess I'll go back to playing M&M3.

As to Codex, majority of the people lean on the right, but there's plenty of liberals and it's not more of an echo chamber than NeoGAF is. Unlike here, you won't get banned for leaning left.

Nobody gets banned for leaning right here. They get banned for being disingenuous trolls.

FiraB

Banned
Builds amazing, robust, bullet proof systems. Decided I'd have a laugh and cracked his game in 20 minutes.

Yep, this guys a wizard and like his game the magic misses frequently.

Wow, this guy sure is something.

So what you could do is, don't play my game.

Better yet, PM me your real email address and I will lock you out of the digital distribution system so you couldn't buy a copy even if you could come up with the cash, which is unlikely.

If you have the names of your friends or anybody even remotely like you, even people who live near you and may have distant kin relations in your family tree, send me all their email addresses and I will lock them out as well.

Grimoire is not junk and it's not mass market drivel. I don't want just anybody playing it. If I had my way I'd force anybody as part of credit card registration to take an online IQ exam. Anybody scoring less than 120+ would not be able to purchase the game for any reason, period. I'd send their money back. I cringe at the idea of ordinary dolts and Bell Curve average wreckers putting their greasy, stained hands on a keyboard covered with pro-wrestling stickers and playing my game. There's something about it unsettling.

I want this.

snap

Banned

diablos still having an account thoroughly disproves this

~Kinggi~

Banned
What's obvious? He's hilariously crazy but there's nothing offensive in his posts, unless you choose to be offended by it. He thinks he is of superior mind and only the worthy are deserving of his game. Why berate him for that unless you yourself have some issues with low self-esteem? He is not in any position of power where his narcissism can actually hurt to begin with. Note that I am talking about posts in regards to the game, couldn't care less about his political statements.

The codex is a cesspit. Not only do they "lean to the right," the bigotry and racism is on full display with all the colorful language you would expect. There is no moderation there.

Builds amazing, robust, bullet proof systems. Decided I'd have a laugh and cracked his game in 20 minutes.

Yep, this guys a wizard and like his game the magic misses frequently.

Learn Magic missile at the first level up, it's a guaranteed hit as it doesn't miss.

Futurematic

Gives me icycalm vibes.

This is a bad flashback, lol. But I'm not sure even Nietzsche worshipping übermensch icycalm ever rose to Cleve levels of sheer insanity.

Cleve said:
Now, compare this with my life. I won't bore you with details, but :

[…]

At 22 years, had visited half the nations on Earth in the military and worked beside the other races up close and personal for nearly four years on a daily basis less than inches away.

At 24 years old, apparently went through some Bruce Banner type of physical metamorphosis where I went from being a slim, mild mannered intellectual and turned myself (without steroids) into a hellish super-powered comic book character with the strength of ten men.

Life from 25 to 30 was just a wee bit short of a full-on John Woo film, with an epic battle in the streets of Los Angeles during the riots with automatic weapons and full roundhouse spinning kicks keeping the Zulu hordes at bay until the National Guard could arrive. This was my final year before migrating to Oz, you see. So while you were laughing yourself silly over Seinfeld at home, masturbating and building your Nintendo Pog collection, I was smashing through the plate glass windows of department stores in stranglehold death locks with these great diversity enrichers you're always telling me I've got it all wrong about. You claim I just don't know what I'm talking about you see, because you just rented the latest Denzel Washington film and were just flabbergasted by the noble spirit of this supernegro and can't see how anybody would ever consider themselves anything but a second class citizen in comparison and how the most wonderful thing that could happen to any of us is to someday get the opportunity to force our girlfriends to fellate one of these fine princes of the universe.

Some might think he's trolling. He's really really not. Check out his linked blog up thread.

But damn I'm impressed as anybody he actually released his game and it doesn't seem terrible.

Arulan

I haven't had a lot of time to play, but here are my impressions after a few hours:

The time that I've played so far has been very good. The level design in particular makes exploring very rewarding. There are secrets and small details to be found everywhere. The puzzles have been quite interesting too. Oh, and the auto-mapping is very nicely detailed. I appreciate the fact that the game expects you to figure things out for yourself. That said, a manual for some of the basics at character creation could be useful. I believe one is in the process of being made.

I started playing on Advanced difficulty and have found it pretty challenging at times. Status effects can be pretty devastating early on. For the most part, a good party composition will go a long ways early on. Beware of traps though! I also really appreciate the different starting locations. I chose to start in the prison, but there are a handful others.

There are definitely technical issues to be found. In particular I've encountered a problem when scaling the image in fullscreen mode that causes severe mouse delay. Another being that the turning options (single step, smooth, etc.) don't work and will use what is set for movement instead.

Some of the art, specifically that of the main menu screen and race art in character creation is notably bad, which is odd because most of the in-game environment and enemy art is fairly good.

It's obviously very reminiscent of Wizardry VII. I still have a lot more to play before I can give an informed opinion, but outside of the technical issues, I've enjoyed it. I hope it lives up to my expectations, because unfortunately releases in this genre come too few and far between.

Wok

I started playing on Advanced difficulty and have found it pretty challenging at times. Status effects can be pretty devastating early on. For the most part, a good party composition will go a long ways early on. Beware of traps though! I also really appreciate the different starting locations. I chose to start in the prison, but there are a handful others.

Is there any in-game reward for playing in high difficulty? Like stronger ennemies but better loot?

Arulan

Is there any in-game reward for playing in high difficulty? Like stronger ennemies but better loot?

I don't know. I've only played on Advanced. I might kick it up to Master (?) tomorrow and see if I notice a difference.

Top Bottom