• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'X-Men' Spinoff 'Gambit' Sets 2019 Release Date

Link.

Gambit always was known for being a romantic, so it's only appropriate that his movie is opening on Valentine's Day.

20th Century Fox has set a Feb. 14, 2019 release date for Gambit, the X-Men spinoff starring Channing Tatum. Fox's Deadpool opened to big numbers over Valentine's Day weekend in 2016.

Gore Verbinski is directing the film, which will see Tatum star as the New Orleans-based mutant with the power to manipulate kinetic energy and whose weapons include a staff and a deck of playing cards. The film has been in development for some time, with Verbinski coming on board last week following departures of filmmakers Rupert Wyatt in October 2015 and Doug Liman in August 2016. Gambit has a script by Josh Zetumer and is produced by Tatum, Reid Carolin, Simon Kinberg, Lauren Shuler Donner.

The Gambit release date comes as Fox has been expanding its X-Men properties on the big screen, with 2018 seeing the release of New Mutants (set to open April 13), Deadpool 2 (June 1) and X-Men: Dark Phoenix (Nov. 2).

On Thursday, Fox also set dates for director Chris Sanders' The Call of the Wild (Dec. 25, 2019) and the animated feature Ron's Gone Wrong (Nov. 6, 2020).

In addition to the Gambit release date, Fox has another X-Men treat coming soon. The first trailer for New Mutants hits at 12:01 PT Friday.

Gore Verbinski is directing? That's an positive and interesting development.

And I hadn't noticed three X-Men related movies were releasing next year. In addition to three Marvel Studios movies and one Sony movie with Venom. Seven movies based on Marvel properties and then Aquaman rounding out the year.

PudieRSC

XAxaV.gif

They're really committed to pretending this is an actual movie. Like, we're gonna get to the premiere and they're just gonna be sweating bullets on the red carpet wondering what the hell they're about to show to all the people gathered to see it.

This isn't an actual movie lmfao it can't be.

Busty

Banned
Wow. They aren't hanging about. But why Valentine's Day? Here's a perfect date film, a superhero film starring Channing Tatum? I sort of get their thinking. Kinda.

But I'm really not sure about Fox's strategy to double down on these (non Deadpool) X-Men films.

I have a feeling that Dark Phoenix is going to continue the 'X' film's current downward trajectory at the box office and crater next fall.

Unless that New Mutants trailer blows everyone away Fox might just be painting themselves into a corner with this slate of films.

Doesn't that compete with a DC film

And sure...

I believe that's 2020.

And i'd out cash money on it being a Harley Quinn vehicle of some kind.

Depending how things changed, as I understand it the premise is Gambit and a crew in a superhero Oceans Eleven. And I believe there was talk of Mister Sinister being the baddie. Or was he the one who recruits Gambit to begin with?

Blader

Wow. They aren't hanging about. But why Valentine's Day? Here's a perfect date film, a superhero film starring Channing Tatum? I sort of get their thinking. Kinda.

Same date as Deadpool last year and Black Panther next year, too.

tenor.gif

With Verbinski on board, it'll at least be interesting.

They've been talking about this 2014. They've been trying to make Gambit a thing since 2009. We'll see.

Busty

Banned
Same date as Deadpool last year and Black Panther next year, too.

Deadpool at least had that great marketing campaign and was a broad action/comedy that appealed to a 'non CBM' audience.

Black Panther of course has that powerful Marvel universe brand in it's corner.

What does Gambit have?

"Hey guys, here's a spin-off from that last X-Men film that you caught on Netflix that time but didn't bother to pay to see in the cinema. I say spin-off, he wasn't actually in the film. But Channing Tatum, right?"

Though an X-Men spin-off it's still a whole new property.

Busty

Banned
They've been talking about this 2014. They've been trying to make Gambit a thing since 2009. We'll see.

I'm assuming that they'll have to start shooting this early next year to make that Feb 2019 release date .

That seems a very tight turnaround. Presumably Verbinski is coming aboard as a hired gun for this given how fast they've gotten this moving?

Depending how things changed, as I understand it the premise is Gambit and a crew in a superhero Oceans Eleven. And I believe there was talk of Mister Sinister being the baddie. Or was he the one who recruits Gambit to begin with?

Given how Logan Lucky tanked (even though I really enjoyed it) I'd be surprised if this is still the storyline.

Ithil

Give it up already. That's literally a decade after X-Men Origins Wolverine.
Just put him in the regular X-Men movies.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
DC has a movie scheduled for the same date. Who's gonna blink? If it's the Joker/Harley movie, Gambit doesn't stand a chance.

I'm assuming that they'll have to start shooting this early next year to make that Feb 2019 release date .

That seems a very tight turnaround. Presumably Verbinski is coming aboard as a hired gun for this given how fast they've gotten this moving?

If that's the case, I wonder how much they're paying him. It just doesn't make sense. This is Gambit. You fast track Batman, Wolverine, or Spider-Man. You don't need to fast track Gambit.

Busty

Banned
If that's the case, I wonder how much they're paying him. It just doesn't make sense. This is Gambit. You fast track Batman, Wolverine, or Spider-Man. You don't need to fast track Gambit.

Exactly. It's possible that A) Verbinski is still in 'director jail' after two expensive duds in a row and jumped on this gig as it's the only studio job he's been offered in a while and/or B) the studio's option on Tatum is running out and they need to get this film moving ASAP or he's free to walk away from his deal.

Both are total speculation but as you say why rush Gambit, it's not as if the studio needs it to fill a vacant summer slot. It's Valentine's Day.

Dalek

I find that people that really claim to like Gambit are only familiar with him from the 90s cartoon and nothing else.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Is gambit still relevant in the comic world?

Probably my fave X-men during Jim lees run and his appearances in games around that time but i kind of fell out of comics.

Glass Rebel

I mean apparently Sony's Venom movie is less than a year away and they haven't shot a single scene as far as I am aware lmao.

Top Bottom