• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted NGP set before Uncharted 1, has more exploration/fewer gunfights

Zoibie

H_Prestige said:
PSP mostly got games like Uncharted NGP. Spin offs broken down into small chunks.

Unlike PSP, console ports would actually work on NGP. If not ports, at the very least design NGP games as if they were on PS3. Who the hell wants this stupid "mission" crap?

I don't agree with that. Resistance, Syphon Filter, Jak, Daxter, GTA... they all felt like games that could just as easily have been late PS2/early PS3 games with a couple of control tweaks (in fact, some of them were.)

Killzone Liberation was definitely the best way of doing things: change it up to suit a portable console and make it easy to pick up and complete a level or two. You don't want to be watching tedious amounts of narrative and cut-scenes on a handheld (although with something as entertaining as Uncharted, I'll gladly give that a pass.) Don't get me wrong, those are perfectly good games, but the stand-outs for me were the games designed for PSP and portability.

Dyno

Since we know Drake gets Elena at the end of U2 this idea comes off a bit fannish. Do we really need to know every little detail of these imaginary people and their lives?

What if Elena left Drake because after U1 Sully and Nathan went on a coke n' whore bender in Shanghai with all that treasure! I'm a writer see, I know how all these things work out.

Duffyside

Banned
Green Scar said:
After all, they're together again now!
Are they though? Have you seen Elena in any Uncharted 3 media yet?

The way I figured it, they split after 1 because Nate still wanted to be his adventure-having, danger-loving, rule-breaking self, and Elena wasn't having it.

For all we know something similar happened before 3. Nate said he was going to settle down, but then Sully came along and needed his help, and Nate chose to go with his long-time friend rather than keep his word to Elena, and they're splitsville again.

If this is right, I'm going to be so mad. I love Elena... though I would welcome a new female character as well, much like Chloe.

Despite what the above may indicate, I am not gay.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Mr_Brit said:
Was I the only one annoyed that they never said what happened between them in U2?

Probably
not
. Really, the tension between them and the tone behind their banter implies more than enough to connect the dots; the game doesn't need to spoon-feed you the details, and I'm glad it didn't.

Greg said:
I wonder if they actually mean exploration, or they mean more automated "platforming"
I was wondering the same thing. I would love to see this game go in more of a "huge environmental puzzle" direction kind of like Tomb Raider.

duffyside said:
Are they though? Have you seen Elena in any Uncharted 3 media yet?

The way I figured it, they split after 1 because Nate still wanted to be his adventure-having, danger-loving, rule-breaking self, and Elena wasn't having it.

For all we know something similar happened before 3. Nate said he was going to settle down, but then Sully came along and needed his help, and Nate chose to go with his long-time friend rather than keep his word to Elena, and they're splitsville again.

If this is right, I'm going to be so mad. I love Elena... though I would welcome a new female character as well, much like Chloe.

Despite what the above may indicate, I am not gay.

That would be some utter bullshit if they pulled the exact same trick. I'm going to assume that yes, they are still together, and Naughty Dog would never be so cheap. God I hope I'm right

For what it's worth, U3 appears to be much less of a voluntary scenario than usual for Nate. I'm predicting, mainly based on the scene we've seen featuring Marlowe, that Drake needs to do whatever he'll be doing in Africa for purposes beyond treasure hunting. The kind of thing Elena would be OK with, maybe. It's been implied that the events of U3 are not going to be good for Drake either way, so I doubt Elena's feelings will come into play there.

Greg

The_Darkest_Red said:
I was wondering the same thing. I would love to see this game go in more of a "huge environmental puzzle" direction kind of like Tomb Raider.
Yeah, this would be the perfect platform to experiment with some things that could find their way into future UC titles on consoles.

The_Darkest_Red said:
I just want a better balance. Like mix up the shooting with proper environmental obstacles and real, as you say, environmental puzzles. I guess the closest thing I am asking for is the kind of direction Tom Raider went with Tomb Raider Legend.

Magicpaint said:
I just want a better balance. Like mix up the shooting with proper environmental obstacles and real, as you say, environmental puzzles. I guess the closest thing I am asking for is the kind of direction Tom Raider went with Tomb Raider Legend.
Exactly. I've always felt like the only thing holding back modern Tomb Raider games is the weird combat. If you threw Uncharted level combat into modern Tomb Raider level design I think you would come out with a fantastic game.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Exactly. I've always felt like the only thing holding back modern Tomb Raider games is the weird combat. If you threw Uncharted level combat into modern Tomb Raider level design I think you would come out with a fantastic game.

Uncharted games have a certain flow to them because the puzzles and platforming really won't hold you up. They're there to kind of give you a break from the gunfights. Tomb Raider has some puzzles and platforming sections that'll stop you dead in your tracks. It's something that could easily frustrate people that really aren't into puzzle/platforming games.

This game will give Sony Bend a chance to experiment with the gameplay so they could try something like that out. It'll also be a good way to separate the console and handheld Uncharted games in terms of gameplay.

SolidSnakex said:
Uncharted games have a certain flow to them because the puzzles and platforming really won't hold you up. They're there to kind of give you a break from the gunfights. Tomb Raider has some puzzles and platforming sections that'll stop you dead in your tracks. It's something that could easily frustrate people that really aren't into puzzle/platforming games.

This game will give Sony Bend a chance to experiment with the gameplay so they could try something like that out. It'll also be a good way to separate the console and handheld Uncharted games in terms of gameplay.
It's true, Uncharted games have a much steadier flow than Tomb Raider games thanks to a lack of difficult platforming and puzzle sections. It will be interesting to see if they are willing to do something that could potentially disrupt that flow.

The_Darkest_Red said:
It's true, Uncharted games have a much steadier flow than Tomb Raider games thanks to a lack of difficult platforming and puzzle sections. It will be interesting to see if they are willing to do something that could potentially disrupt that flow.

They could also view that change as a way to differentiate the console and portable versions, giving each their unique identity. I don't want to play a game that feels exactly the same as the console versions. I say let Bend put their stamp on the franchise in the portable realm and let them really have at it. :)

Less shooting and more exploration suits me just fine.

The shootouts were never my favourite parts of the games. I'd rather explore the environments and find treasures (might be in the minority here?).

So long as the story and atmosphere is loyal to the previous installments it's got the potential to be a great game.

The_Darkest_Red said:

They shouldn't do anything different than what they're currently doing. Let Uncharted be Uncharted, it's not Tomb Raider. Anything not involving shooting needs to be simple and painless, it must not hold the player up. I know this offends some people's sensibilities, but Naughty Dog know better than they do. This is an shooting game with pretty interludes to set a pulpy action/adventure mood and I'm sure that's the way it will stay.

The "adventure" segments are fun additions to a shooting game. Playing Uncharted with other people, I find these parts are total crowd pleasers, and as a player it's nice to get a break. I love the atmosphere and sights during them, and they don't take up enough time to make it an "interactive movie", the meat of the action gameplay easily holds up to any other TPS. If I want to solve a challenging logic puzzle or some irritating jumping puzzle, I'll play another game designed with that kind of thing in mind.

All I want is for them to add another 15-20 minutes of this adventure-lite content, something like that extended jaunt on the first island in UC1, or the village/ice caves of UC2. UC1 in particular felt like it needed a chapter like this later on, given how much of it there was early on.

Wario64 said:
"It's the same category of game, but has more exploration and fewer gunfights, letting people breathe while playing. "

Good news, I almost suffocated while playing Uncharted 2

true, too many gun fights, plus they never seemed to end

revolverjgw said:
They shouldn't do anything different than what they're currently doing. Let Uncharted be Uncharted, it's not Tomb Raider. Anything not involving shooting needs to be simple and painless, it must not hold the player up. I know this offends some people's sensibilities, but Naughty Dog know better than they do. This is an shooting game with pretty interludes to set a pulpy action/adventure mood and I'm sure that's the way it will stay.

The "adventure" segments are fun additions to a shooting game. Playing Uncharted with other people, I find these parts are total crowd pleasers, and as a player it's nice to get a break. I love the atmosphere and sights during them, and they don't take up enough time to make it an "interactive movie", the meat of the action gameplay easily holds up to any other TPS. If I want to solve a challenging logic puzzle or some irritating jumping puzzle, I'll play another game designed with that kind of thing in mind.

All I want is for them to add another 15-20 minutes of this adventure-lite content, something like that extended jaunt on the first island in UC1, or the village/ice caves of UC2. UC1 in particular felt like it needed a chapter like this later on, given how much of it there was early on.
I won't be upset if they go the same direction as UC1 and 2, I love those games, it's just that I would like to see them try something slightly different.

Also, I don't think any games are designed with jumping puzzles that are striving to irritate.

arne

Bend Studio is really the best bet for any info related to the Uncharted NGP game, but I couldn't help but want to jump in and mention that the NGP storyline is set sometime before Drake's Fortune (and not a prequel). I'll leave the rest for the NGP/Uncharted NGP press campaign.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
And yet again a series is spread among different plattforms.... Am I the only one annoyed by this? I mean, I like the Uncharted series but I don't want to buy the NGP in order to get the full story.... I hate this.... Already had to buy the 3DS because of RE - and now this...

arne said:
Bend Studio is really the best bet for any info related to the Uncharted NGP game, but I couldn't help but want to jump in and mention that the NGP storyline is set sometime before Drake's Fortune (and not a prequel). I'll leave the rest for the NGP/Uncharted NGP press campaign.
I find this very confusing...

arne said:
I guess I thought it would have to be a prequel by default if it took place before Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and was about many of the same characters. Is there some nuance to the word prequel that I don't understand? Is it not considered a prequel if the story is mostly self-contained or something?

FunkyPajamas said:
I guess it means it doesn't have a connection to the story in Drake's Fortune (i.e. El Dorado).
Here's what I think of when I see "prequel":
prequel n. A literary, dramatic, or cinematic work whose narrative takes place before that of a preexisting work or a sequel.
So if it takes place before DF than it's a prequel under that definition, right?

arne

The_Darkest_Red said:
I guess I thought it would have to be a prequel by default if it took place before Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and was about many of the same characters. Is there some nuance to the word prequel that I don't understand? Is it not considered a prequel if the story is mostly self-contained or something?

Reason we're making the distinction is that it's not a direct lead-in to the story of Drake's Fortune, which many people would expect if you said "prequel"

arne said:
Reason we're making the distinction is that it's not a direct lead-in to the story of Drake's Fortune, which many people would expect if you said "prequel"
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

EDIT: So I guess this thread title needs to be updated.

graywolf323

Gold Member
Green Scar said:
It doesn't, I did say probably :/ (Setting the game between U1 and U2 is a good excuse to not include Elena, and cut down on acting costs, maybe?)

personally I hope they can keep Emily Rose around (even if she does have a TV show now)

KAL2006

Banned
WTF, so is that French interview completely wrong, what Arne is saying is that it takes place before U1, the french interview says it is between U1 and U2

It sounds as though they are developing it with portable gaming in mind. This will no doubt work wonders for how the game translates over from console.

As Naughty Dog aren't directly involved in the story process I don't care all that much about RAD's fill in the blanks concept, but I like the characters and world, enough to give it a whirl anyway.

Jomjom

Banned
So Naughty Dog is basically going the GoW console and portable strategy where the portable entries fall in between the numbered console series?

Ratrat

H_Prestige said:
So I see the NGP will continue the trend of watered down handheld games meant to be played in "short bursts". Do these devs not know about the instant suspend feature?
Peace Walker and BBS had more gameplay than their console counterparts.

TripOpt55

Dedication Through Light said:
Where did you get that? If the game has elements before and after UC1, then Elena would need to be mentioned and in game. I do not see where "no Elena" was mentioned.
Wait does it have elements before and after UC1? I thought it was just before now based on what Arne said. So that would mean no Elena.

Suairyu

Banned
hosannainexcelsis said:
That sounds good. Gunfights are why I've never been able to get into Uncharted.
Well, it certainly couldn't have been for the exploration. It doesn't exist in Uncharted. Gunfighting is what you do 90% of the time. I'm not entirely sure what the pull would be gameplay-wise if not the shooting.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Suairyu said:
Well, it certainly couldn't have been for the exploration. It doesn't exist in Uncharted. Gunfighting is what you do 90% of the time. I'm not entirely sure what the pull would be gameplay-wise if not the shooting.

Probably because it's a shooter first. People just compare it to Tomb Raider-esque exploration due to both playing on similar themes.

What if each "mission" was it's own seperate episode of Elena's show where she enlists Drake's help tracking down an artifact, tomb, legendary area or whatever? Would be awesome.

Or not. Thanks Arne haha.

Apath

If available at launch, this will be the first game I get on the PSP2. =D

EDIT: More exploration, less gunfights is a good thing. I wonder how they'll handle it considering the gunfights were the meat of the game in UC1 and 2.

Top Bottom