• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo Convinced You to Buy a Wii U Yet?

I'm more interested than I was before, but that's only because of Xenoblade 2. Nothing else has wow'd me. If/when Retro delivers at E3, then I'll be closer to buying one.

Despera

Banned
I think I might go PS4/Wii U next gen.

I hope I don't end up having to buy all three consoles. I was planning on going PS3/Wii only this gen, but then Lost Odyssey came out for the 360...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Even if the lineup looks solid, no not really. The only thing I care about is Bayonetta 2 and maybe SMT X Fire Emblem, but then again it will probably be a strategy game and I'm not a fan of strategy games.

Hindle

Banned
When Monoliths new game, Retros new game, and Mario release I'll buy it.

So you're looking at 2015 by the time the said games all release.

luokyl

Not yet, not until I see what MegaTen x Fire Emblem has in store, but it's definitely a push in the right direction.

Raw64life

I had always planned to get a Wii U eventually. Depending on when the stuff announced/discussed in the Nintendo Direct comes out will determine when I buy one.

pants

Not at all, I've already expected a zelda, a mario, a mario kart etc and factored that in. Telling me water is wet wont sway me.

FluxWaveZ

Definitely. Was convinced I had to get one at some point because of Bayonetta 2 and Smash Bros., but the recent Nintendo Direct has made me want one so much more.

PS4 and Wii U sounds like the direction I might go with for the next generation.

Obviously they won't do that since they make money on the current ones and no one ever calls them out for being lazy and rehashing the same stuff over and over and over.

How many Halos and Uncharteds have we had each on one system now?

MS and Sony are totally dedicated to originality. No rehashing with those companies. /sarcasm

Metroid

I'm about to buy one right now. Problem is that I don't know whicht version to get. I have a spare 320GB HDD, so will the Basic Bundle be enough for me?

TheMink

Uh YEAAH!!!!

Im so buying this shit.

(Sing to the tune of yoshi story)

Laaaaaa la la la laaaaaa, laaaaaa la la la laaaaaaaa, laaaaaa la la la laaaaa la la la laaaaaa la la la laaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

def sim

No, but the Wii U is back on my mind on a positive note. A price drop later in the year might just push me over the edge since I've been wanting a 3DS, but I feel the Wii U's off tv play will be a much better alternative.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nope not really. Some of the games announced for it look good tho. But the system remains underpowered, I think when Microsoft and Sony show their stuff it will blow it away. The problem for me are not the games, but the system itself.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I was waiting mostly for Pikmin 3, and all these announcements have just strengthened my resolve. Looks like the future is promising.

I need to see more info about the games they announced before I can get excited about them.

I'm way past the "OMGOMGOMG NEW MARIO" phase. For instance, I'm on board if the new 3D Mario is more SM64/Sunshine and less Galaxy, and I'm definitely on board with Yoshi if it's a close sequel (gameplay-wise) to Yoshi's Island (NOT Story ffs), but these are details that aren't going to come out until later.

I've never played either Fire Emblem or Shin Megami Tensei, so the crossover did absolutely nothing for me. "New Smash Bros" is about as surprising as finding out the sun will come out tomorrow, but I was pleasantly surprised by the WW HD remake. At the end of the day, though, remakes have never been a "selling point" on a new console for me. I really hope the remake includes a hard mode and updated textures.

kaskade

I think so, I'm such a sucker for new consoles though. I really told myself I wouldn't buy a Nintendo console after the Wii (which I barely played). In the back of my head I always knew I was going to get one eventually. Chances are I'll get one, just don't know when. I'm going to wait and see what Sony and Microsoft come up with. I'll wait for a Price drop with the Wii U.

Man, I'm in a weird place with Wii U right now.

Moving to Europe in just two months and I only own four games for the system. By the time I leave Rayman should be in my hands as well.

Problem is, once I arrive, I'm going to have to resort to importing or else I'll have to buy a European system. If I had a huge library of US games I wouldn't feel bad about it, but as it stands, I feel like I should have waited. Region encoding fucking sucks. Heck, I also need to find a way to get a hold of a European power supply for the Wii U, which doesn't seem to be easy to get on its own.

Downloads work across regions, least someone told me that with 3DS

I think so, just about. It will not be this year though, more likely 2014. I also want a price drop of sorts, especially when the big boys arrive.

There are now a fair number of games I am quite hyped for:

Rayman Legends
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
The Wonderful 101 - thank you based Kamiya
Pikmin 3
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD - personal megaton for me since it's the best in the series
Bayonetta 2 - playing Bayonetta now and very hyped as a result
Yoshi Wii U
MegaTen x Fire Emblem
X (Monolithsoft) - stunning
Super Smash Bros. U
The Legend of Zelda U
Wii U 3D Mario - obvious reasons
Mario Kart Wii U - MK7 makes me interested. Hopefully not shitty like MK Wii.

..and of course existing games like ZombiU and New Super Mario Bros. U. I think i've come to terms with not giving a fuck about multiplat performance any more - I really shouldn't any way since I own a beasting PC and other consoles. I mainly just wanted Nintendo to deliver the main reason to own their console - their own games - and this seems to be falling into place slowly but surely.

Ziek

I'm considering it.

I'd like to see the 1st party games in action first. Also, a price drop would be nice.

LuuKyK

How many Halos and Uncharteds have we had each on one one system now?

MS and Sony are totally dedicated to originality. No rehashing with those companies. /sarcasm

I dont remember playing Uncharted on my PS2 but I remember playing Mario on my SNES. Im not complaining though just exposing your flawed argument.

No

I'm waiting for the nextbox and PS4 right now. I might pick up a wii u in a few years when they figure out how to do online and account systems right + a price drop and a library I care about.

HardRojo

I was always planning to get one but there's something people are forgetting, you are acting like these games will be released during 2013 or early 2014 but that's not the case.

Comment (mine) copy pasted from another thread:

This Nintendo Direct only reinforces my idea that the best time to get a Wii U will probably be around late 2014 (When most of the titles announced in this ND will have been released or close to being released)

Raide

At the moment its only Monster Hunter that appeals to me but not enough to burn £300+ just to play one game. Will wait to see what they next year brings in terms of new IP from Nintendo, then see what MS and Sony choose to do and make a choice then.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
It's definitely enticing, but I think I'll still wait till some time next year to get it. Definitely want to see whats on the horizon for XBox 720 and PS4 and PC. I think its a good policy to buy consoles and handhelds at least a year if not two after their release. Better libraries, better knowledge of services and more than likely a hardware revision. Launch just doesn't make sense to me anymore.

bbdude

Already have a Wii U; I'm pretty pleased with today's showing. I had lost hope for the system for a bit, but for me since the start, it was always about the first- and second-party showings. Nintendo is starting to deliver. lost hope redeemed

Hiltz

Wow. I do need to buy a Wii U. I always intended to buy one, but I need to hurry up. I did not expect Nintendo to come out with all of this megaton news. Although, it looks like Wii U owners will suffer a software drought during the Summer at least from 1st party support.

I'm glad to see Wind Waker getting an HD remake, Monolith Soft's game looks amazing, the Fire Emblem cross over title is a pleasant surprise, very excited for Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101, and confirmation of Smash Bros 4, Super Mario 3D, and Mario Kart going to be present at E3 was nice to know about, but I appriciate they didn't show them off yet cause Nintendo's gonna need some surprises left for E3. That Yoshi Game looks interesting, but I wish Good Feel went with a different art style. Maybe it will grow on me later on.

Nintendo expanding Miiverse and the Virtual Console addition are some of the things I expected to hear and was pleased with Nintendo's plans. I'm happy to see Nintedo's head has been in the game, but they've just needed more time to prepare all of this stuff for us.

NEW YOSHI GAME looks like kirby epic yarn, i'll pass
WIND WAKER HD i already played wind waker
FIRE EMBLEM X SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI pass
NEW MONOLITH GAME slightly interested, xenoblade chronicles didn't do much for me
CONFIRMED SMASH BROS small interest
NEW MARIO interested
BAYONETTA 2 interested
MARIO KART pass

It didn't do much for me. Apart from confirmation of a few titles at e3 like bayonetta 2 and new 3d mario which i'm really interested, it showed nintendo is making the same old stuff which for some franchises it might not be that bad for me personally, in others i'm just not that interested. add the fact that they still have a system that attaches the content to the machine and everything they release in the digital space is a big whatever for me (like the virtual console announcement).

FLAguy954

I was always gonna get one because I knew games would come. Has it convinced me to get one sooner? Not really. But it made me for excited for when I eventually do get it. I'll have lots of games I want to play.

This is pretty much how I feel too. I probably pick one up this holiday season (hopefully some of the recently announced game would be released).

Those are just announcements, and none of those announcements get my blood pumping anyway, so no. The Wii U is still one of the most underwhelming consoles I've ever witnessed in all my years of gaming and right now, the plan hasn't changed - scope out the next Xbox and PS4 and see which one of those reigns over the other in terms of specs and launch line-up.

canedaddy

Wind Waker and the Monolith game raise the chances that I'll eventually get one, but it'll be down the road, when I'm looking for something to supplement to the next-gen stuff.

params7

Banned
Nah not yet. It was good but Dark Souls 2 on next-gen consoles or Steambox is the golden experience I'm looking forward to for next gen. Besides, its unfair to judge the competition before Sony and MS have even revealed their entrance to next-gen.

But Nintendo is on the right path though.

Yeah I definitely am. I think there is still going to be a bigger upfront drought with this system then probably almost any before it since we didn't get any release dates on anything but whats coming already excites me so much more than the Wii.

You can tell Nintendo is in crazy panic mode.

-Panning photos of Wind Waker HD looked like it had been ripped from a powerpoint.
-Really thrown together X trailer
-Powerpoint Yoshi

That being said though I am day one for all of these games but they seem a long ways off so my purchase is still out at least a year.

Replicant

Not really. Of course the console will get some games but it's still not the kind of graphic progression I want to see from my next console purchase. I already see those kind of graphics in the past 6 years and while I don't mind it, I'm itching to move on to better looking graphic especially now I have HDTV and few current-gen games look like shit on it.

Yeah I definitely am. I think there is still going to be a bigger upfront drought with this system then probably almost any before it since we didn't get any release dates on anything but whats coming already excites me so much more than the Wii.

You can tell Nintendo is in crazy panic mode.

-Panning photos of Wind Waker HD looked like it had been ripped from a powerpoint.
-Really thrown together X trailer
-Powerpoint Yoshi

That being said though I am day one for all of these games but they seem a long ways off.

Wow. I do need to buy a Wii U. I always intended to buy one, but I need to hurry up. I did not expect Nintendo to come out with all of this megaton news.

I'm glad to see Wind Waker getting an HD remake, Monolith Soft's game looks amazing, the Fire Emblem cross over title is a pleasant surprise, very excited for Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101, and confirmation of Smash Bros 4, Super Mario 3D, and Mario Kart going to be present at E3 was nice to know about, but I appriciate they didn't show them off yet cause Nintendo's gonna need some surprises left for E3. That Yoshi Game looks interesting, but I wish Good Feel went with a different art style. Maybe it will grow on me later on.

Nintendo expanding Miiverse and the Virtual Console addition are going to rock my world. I'm very pleased to see Nintedo's head has been in the game, but they've just needed more time to prepare all of this stuff for us.

I don't think you need the 'Hurry up' bro. Unless you want to hurry up to wait a long ass time.

Top Bottom