• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pocks

Really dig the Pixel but I kinda feel like it's a little too late in the game for me to switch over :(

The only thing that might make me switch is if somehow they could put text messaging in Hangouts so I can text on a browser

I use MightyText to send SMS from the computer. Love it.

Had a chance to play with the Pixel at the Google Pop-up store down in SoHo in NYC yesterday, the phone feels awesome and well built....they had a setup for low-light camera shooting....we were blown away in how fast the camera was and how great the pictures came out in low light ...I have a S6 edge and gonna try to pick up a XL

Ianan

Just went down to the Carphone Warehouse and they had 1 XL 32GB left in stock so I went ahead and picked it up! I'm coming from an iPhone 5s so this could take sometime adjusting but I love it so far!

By the way, CASES! What cases are you guys looking at?

Neo_Geo

Banned
Gotta love their foray into the Overpriced Me-Too market. Bending over for the cell companies so you have to bend your customers over too. Fucking pathetic.

BFIB

Just went down to the Carphone Warehouse and they had 1 XL 32GB left in stock so I went ahead and picked it up! I'm coming from an iPhone 5s so this could take sometime adjusting but I love it so far!

I've always bought Spigen, great cases.

Gotta love their foray into the Overpriced Me-Too market. Bending over for the cell companies so you have to bend your customers over too. Fucking pathetic.

GwnT93Y.png

I ordered the Spigen Tough Armor case for mine but wont have it and the device until next week.

Purely anecdotal, but the pixel on display at best buy was in constant use by shoppers. So much so that I didn't get any time with it :(

Somehow this phone is generating a decent amount of buzz. Perhaps that Verizon partnership is helpful.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
My black 32gb regular size is scheduled for Wednesday. Moved to Project Fi after more than a decade with Virgin Mobile.

it's about 7GB of 29 usable. so 22ish free.

I never filled up my 16gb S3 in five years, so this seems perfectly fine for a light user like myself.

SliChillax

How does the phone feel compared to the Nexus 6p smoothness wise? Does it feel faster opening apps, smoother scrolling and faster multi tasking? Any lag? Don't care about gaming performance.

Sami+

Getting my 32GB Really Blue XL right after work today! Psyched. :)

I'm a little nervous about the storage but if I could use a 16GB 5s for two years I should be okay lol.

DEVASTATED that the google themselves didn't have the rally blue option available online when I bought it last night.

I'm going to be filled with rage and regret everytime I take out my horrible, bland black phone.

That's only one person, but okay.
True we just have to wait and see but considering its just 50mah more than a 5x I unfortunately don't expect wonders. I do want to switch to the smaller Pixel from my 5x but if the battery life is only insignificantly better, it's definitely a disappointment.

Skux

They need a Ferrari red as well. Black and silver and white is so boring on hardware. Just give me the gaudiest blingiest colours and let me blind people with the shine.

I just traded in my note 7 for a galaxy s7. I have two weeks to return it though, should I consider getting a pixel xl instead?

Ixian

I just traded in my note 7 for a galaxy s7. I have two weeks to return it though, should I consider getting a pixel xl instead?
I would try out your S7 for that time and see how you like the experience. I have one for myself and don't feel the same pull to the Pixel like when I had the S6 and eventually switched to a Nexus 6P. The S7 is a really good phone; the Pixel is too, of course, and if you don't like your experience with the S7 then at least you have a viable alternative. For me, TouchWiz (the skin on the Galaxy phones) is actually pretty good at this point, Samsung Pay is a godsend as a US resident, and I really like the focus speed on the S7's camera even if the actual picture quality on the Pixel appears to be better (but not drastically so).

Audioboxer

Enjoy everyone! Google turned me away after the Nexus 5 due to them going insane size with 6. Ended up back with Samsung. Fully expected to return to Google this time, and was hyped about AMOLED as it's far better than LCD, but that pricing.

I'll have to wait till 6 months time or so when they start slashing this baby down. With Apple you have to pay the Apple tax as there is no competition, with Android fleecing yourself with artificially inflated product prices just isn't something I can get behind. To be honest I pretty much ended up with an S6 due to a work discount. Samsung are often one of the priciest with Android phones. The Pixel costs even more than a S7 Edge which is just insane.

OnePlus really have an opportunity to pick up many of Androids AOSP lovers.

ArchAngel

So, first day with the Pixel XL over. Charged it full before going to bed and in the morning it had 97% left - I don't know why but the 6P did that too.

A full day of games, messaging, web browsing, calling, updating/downloading, bluetooth on for my Pebble and display at ~75% brightness.

The 6P always got me to 5-6h without any gaming and brightness at 50%.

Now the Pixel:
b9NKfYm.jpg

A good start to me, let's see what this thing will do the coming days/weeks.

And it doesn't get as warm as the 6P :)

killroy87

Hey, so I just got a Pixel, and while I really like it, it's taking some getting used to as it's my first Android phone. I'm curious, is there a way I can disable the stock date and time in the top right corner (I have a widget I like more, making it redundant), and the little "G" google shortcut bubble in the top left corner (being able to swipe left to my personal google feed accomplishes the same thing)?

I've gone through all the settings that I can see, and can't find a way to disable or hide these two elements.

Hey, so I just got a Pixel, and while I really like it, it's taking some getting used to as it's my first Android phone. I'm curious, is there a way I can disable the stock date and time in the top right corner (I have a widget I like more, making it redundant), and the little "G" google shortcut bubble in the top left corner (being able to swipe left to my personal google feed accomplishes the same thing)?

I've gone through all the settings that I can see, and can't find a way to disable or hide these two elements.

Use a different launcher. Both Nova and Action launcher come highly recommended. You get them from the Play Store.

I showed my Pixel XL to 3 of my IT colleagues and they all agreed that it was snappy and a nice phone. 2 of them are iPhone users and the third an Android Samsung Galaxy 7 user.

Mine just got delivered. So to do the data transfer from my Note 4, I'm going to have to buy a USB-C/micro-USB adapter, correct?

snacknuts

we all knew her
Use a different launcher. Both Nova and Action launcher come highly recommended. You get them from the Play Store.

Launchers won't have any impact on stuff in the notification bar at the top of the display (or on the navigation buttons at the bottom). You would need to root the phone to get rid of that stuff.

Nicktendo86

So, first day with the Pixel XL over. Charged it full before going to bed and in the morning it had 97% left - I don't know why but the 6P did that too.

A full day of games, messaging, web browsing, calling, updating/downloading, bluetooth on for my Pebble and display at ~75% brightness.

Now the Pixel:
b9NKfYm.jpg

Ooohhhh I need this. Get on average 3-3.5 sot with my Moto x style, got 4 max once. 7 hours would be crazy.

My upgrade in august can't come soon enough.

Blah, I was looking at that thing the whole wrong way. Thanks!

I did the exact same thing, and felt so stupid once I figured it out. It's a super cool feature, though.

Been using my Pixel XL for about 22 hours now, and it's the best phone I've ever had. Incredible in every way.

Non removable battery? 😕

what was the last flagship phone that had a removable battery?

-no removable battery
-no expandable storage
-no waterproofing
-no OIS
-sells all of your personal data
-$Texas

why would anyone buy this dumb thing???

Pocks

Now the Pixel:
b9NKfYm.jpg

A good start? 7 hours SOT is phenomenal. Excited to get home and unbox mine.

thespot84

I love how OIS is still a thorn in everyone's side yet all the camera reviews rate it better than the iphone 7 and galaxy s7 in almost all cases, even those that include some stabilization. It's not like there's no stabilization, it's just electronic.

Cartman86

Banned
Cool thanks, I'm messing around with Nova now. How do I switch back to the standard if I want to? Do I need to straight up uninstall this one?

Go to Settings>Apps then locate the launcher you are using and either clear the data under Storage or I believe there is a defaults option to you can change there.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So they only way to get a look at it in person is at a Verizon store correct?

I have project fi service but I like to get an in person look at phones before I buy them.

What's the deal with the Picture Color Mode option in Developer Options, which toggles sRGB mode? When I turn it on, the screen goes pinkish.

Is there any benefit to using it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom