• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop - Switch sales "Phenomenal", high attach rate, "Could eclipse Wii"

I was eating at the airport in Atlanta yesterday and took out my Switch and played some Zelda for 20 minutes

after I put it away the guy sitting with his girlfriend at the next table said.

"I saw you put away your Switch. How do you like it?"

I said I'm really loving Zelda and very happy I could take it with me.

I think Nintendo did a great job if people are already this aware of what a Switch is.

Spinifex

Just wanted to echo some sentiments in this thread, I'm a PC gamer snob with a gtx1080 who formerly was playing Overwatch every day and I haven't touched it since the Switch came out. Zelda is GOAT.

a916

“The Nintendo Switch is off to a start right now that it could possibly eclipse the Wii. Initial sales on this have been phenomenal. I can’t give straight numbers, but I can say we’re seeing one of the highest attach rates of software and accessories to a device that we’ve seen in a long time.”

That's a real strange thing to say THIS early.

And I'm not even surprised with the accessories thing either... when I bought a PS4, I didn't need anything else. When I traded in for a switch I had to grab a protector and the Pro controller...

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Sizzel

The better it does, the more money Nintendo has, the more money Nintendo has the more they can fund Metroid. Outsell all expectations please

btrboyev

I really, really like the hardware. The plastic screen is dumb but the sheer flexibility of what this thing can do is so cool.

Hopefully Nintendo puts out quality games.

If you watched any drop tests for the hardware on concrete you would see why they went with a plastic screen. The screen doesn't crack. Would you rather put up with small scratches or a cracked screen? A screen protector will negate one of those, not the other.

I'm expecting Wonderful 101 numbers.

For splatoon? That's crazy.

Edit: ahh, sarcasm

I was eating at the airport in Atlanta yesterday and took out my Switch and played some Zelda for 20 minutes

after I put it away the guy sitting with his girlfriend at the next table said.

"I saw you put away your Switch. How do you like it?"

I said I'm really loving Zelda and very happy I could take it with me.

I think Nintendo did a great job if people are already this aware of what a Switch is.

My buddy (who regularly gives me a hard time about console gaming) was over at the GameStop the other day hoping to snatch up a switch. It definitely seems to appeal to a variety of people.

The better it does, the more money Nintendo has, the more money Nintendo has the more they can fund Metroid. Outsell all expectations please

I think Metroid is already being made and we'll see it at E3. Reggie said to talk to him about Metroid in a year from January.

Ah, I never went into the splatoon threads before launch so I have no idea about such references. Thanks!

I thought it was a europe thing. Can't find it on amazon.com

Yeah it was an interesting topic to say the least lol

Crayon

Oh come on, I don't want to ruin a positive thread since we all should celebrate the Switch doing fine despite its shortcomings, but if you bothered to read some impressions and reactions from that presentation it'd be clear why many people, myself included, were and still are very skeptical aboutthe Switch. I know for sure I won't be picking one up till next year and they're readily available here in Peru.

I was there. I was one of the people saying it's going to do great. I was surprised at the scale of the negative reaction.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I'm expecting Wonderful 101 numbers.

XS5LK.gif

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It says software AND accessories.

So I'm not surprised being the form factor it is they get to sell extra shit like cases, screen protectors, chargers, and the pro controller.

A lot of shit you don't need for a regular home console.

Luigiv

Geez, calm down with the Wii comparison, it's been 3 weeks...

EDIT: Wait, power chargers? Why are people buying extras?
I haven't yet but I am planning to buy a second one. One to leave hooked up to the dock and one for my bedroom/to travel.

Plum

It's too early to say much about the Switch's success, but it isn't too early to start preparing GAF's crow for when Christmas sales figures come out in 2018.

Gamestop specifically held stock that was only sold as part of bundles, which contained cases/games/accessories/etc. So the high attatch rate could be largely artificial.

jts

...hate me...
Does the wall charger matter in that case? I have like 5 of those white Samsung USB wall chargers just laying around.
The wall charger can matter but those bricks being Samsung and USB-A means it should be fine.

However, if they are 5W bricks, which are the typical ones, they will charge the Switch slowly it's in sleeping mode or off, and may not charge it when playing, will just help it not to use the battery as fast.

Bluth54

When I saw Nintendo only included one charger with the Switch I thought it was kinda an asshole move. Most people are going to plug that charger into the dock and depending on how your TV setup is it may be very inconvenient to unplug the power cable if you need to take it on the go. They really should of put 2 chargers in the box, one for taking the Switch on the go and one for the dock.

Zelda is the system seller but it isn't the only appealing game on the system. I just got me this beauty:

Fully playable in English too! The Switch eShop is killing it with FAST RMX, The Binding of Isaac (also got a retail release in America, I'm waiting for my import to arrive) and others like Blastermaster Zero.

Just Dance reaches a different audience and Bomberman is a feel good pick up and play game.

that Japanese game is driving sales?

HardRojo

I was there. I was one of the people saying it's going to do great. I was surprised at the scale of the negative reaction.
I won't list the reasons, someone probably already did but I won't keep pressing, it's really easy to see why the reception was somewhat lackluster in gaming sites. With that said, it's great to see the Switch doing fine after all but I still hope Nintendo irons out the weaker points of the console. I'll finally be trying the console for the first time this weekend it seems as a friend is getting it with Bomberman, the Switch game I'm currently most interested in.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Every GameStop statement about new hardware always sounds like "our business is safe".
Pretty much but I think Nintendo handeld doing well is of strategic importance. The Reliance on physical and the used market is particularly profitable for them so they'll push this like nobodies business.

Oregano

Whatever you can say about Komani at the moment they sure know how to make money. They saw a gap in the market and made out like bandits.

Yup, they're benefitting from no one else(third party wise) showing up for one.

When I saw Nintendo only included one charger with the Switch I thought it was kinda an asshole move. Most people are going to plug that charger into the dock and depending on how your TV setup is it may be very inconvenient to unplug the power cable if you need to take it on the go. They really should of put 2 chargers in the box, one for taking the Switch on the go and one for the dock.

Jesus christ... expecting two chargers in the box.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'll wait for real numbers before saying that it will "eclipse" the Wii.
We have a tough idea anyway Nintendo only shipped 2 million of these things and last reports were of 500k ish in the US. Can't imagine it's be much more sold which is why they're telling us of the attach ratio.

Nessus

How trustworthy are these statements? I mean, it's not like GameStop is going to be like "yeah this console we're selling right now isn't selling that well".

Yeah I always sense a slight air of desperation in GameStop's press releases. "Please come to our brick and mortar stores and buy this popular cool thing. And then maybe also buy a used game for $10 off the price of a new copy."

We have a tough idea anyway Nintendo only shipped 2 million of these things and last reports were of 500k ish in the US. Can't imagine it's be much more sold which is why they're telling us of the attach ratio.

Hopefully someone can provide the link (I think I read it in a Media Create thread), but Nintendo is shipping 2.5 million this month, up 500k from their initial plans. And they'll sell every single one of them.

What does "highest attach rate of software and accessories" mean? That people are buying a Switch as well as a game at a higher rate than they bought a PS4, for example, and a game? I mean... wouldn't that be obvious when playing Zelda is the only thing the Switch does..? What am I missing? Not hating on N's success. Just seems like a "well duh" kinda comment.

You're missing a lot evidently. There are lots of great games for the Switch. Keep your ignorant comments out of here.

King_Moc

Banned

They literally can't win with some people. Wtf.

Top Bottom