• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Beta and Information Thread [Open Beta Live Now]

You unlock free questing or whatever after you complete all the quests in an area IIRC

Nah, there are certain things you must before you unlock free questing in an area.

Free Forest Exploration Request
REQ: S Rank “ダガン殲滅任務:森林” Dagan Extermination in 10 Minutes
REQ: S Rank “ナヴ・ラッピー捕獲任務” Nab Rappy Capture in 12 minutes
REQ: Obtain two” ナベリウス観測素子A” Naberius Data on any Forest Mission
NOTES: Naberius Data drop in yellow boxes from enemies.
REWARD: Free Forest Unlocked

Free-Caves Exploration Request
REQ: S Rank “カルターゴ殲滅” Kartagot Extermination within 12 minutes
REQ: S Rank “キャタドラン討伐” Subdue Catadran in 16 minutes
REQ: Obtain two “アムドゥスキアス観測素子A” Amduscia Data from caves missions.
NOTES: Caves Data drops in yellow boxes from enemies.
REWARD: This unlocks Free Field Caves

Free-Desert Exploration Request [New!]
REQ: S Rank 稀少鉱石発掘任務 Rare Ore Excavation within 18 minutes.
REQ: S Rank 貴重物資運搬計画:砂漠 Precious Goods Transportation within 15 minutes.
REQ: Obtain two “リリーパ観測素子A” Lillipa Data from desert missions.
NOTES: Lillipa Data drops in yellow boxes from enemies
REWARD: This unlocks Free Field Desert

http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-open-beta-begins-and-mini-guide/

Reknoc

Free Quests still act like quests though.

edit: I mean yeah, it's certainly the closest thing to just being able to pop down and grind up the area but not quite the same.

UrbanRats

Nah, there are certain things you must before you unlock free questing in an area.

Free Forest Exploration Request
REQ: S Rank “ダガン殲滅任務:森林” Dagan Extermination in 10 Minutes
REQ: S Rank “ナヴ・ラッピー捕獲任務” Nab Rappy Capture in 12 minutes
REQ: Obtain two” ナベリウス観測素子A” Naberius Data on any Forest Mission
NOTES: Naberius Data drop in yellow boxes from enemies.
REWARD: Free Forest Unlocked

Free-Caves Exploration Request
REQ: S Rank “カルターゴ殲滅” Kartagot Extermination within 12 minutes
REQ: S Rank “キャタドラン討伐” Subdue Catadran in 16 minutes
REQ: Obtain two “アムドゥスキアス観測素子A” Amduscia Data from caves missions.
NOTES: Caves Data drops in yellow boxes from enemies.
REWARD: This unlocks Free Field Caves

Free-Desert Exploration Request [New!]
REQ: S Rank 稀少鉱石発掘任務 Rare Ore Excavation within 18 minutes.
REQ: S Rank 貴重物資運搬計画:砂漠 Precious Goods Transportation within 15 minutes.
REQ: Obtain two “リリーパ観測素子A” Lillipa Data from desert missions.
NOTES: Lillipa Data drops in yellow boxes from enemies
REWARD: This unlocks Free Field Desert

http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-open-beta-begins-and-mini-guide/
Damn, gotta play in windowed mode with Gaf open on the side. :p

6QtRA.jpg

This here is the slider to up the amount of detailed models on screen. It won't let me change it, what gives?

Reknoc

10min Dagan extermination was a nightmare solo. 2nd attempt I missed it by like 20 seconds ._. got it on my 3rd attempt though.

Also I saw the cutest Rappy last night doing the free forest quest. Looked like the ones from PS0.

Finalow

I've gotten this twice after very little progress. Unfortunately I don't know how to read the error to "do what it says". When I restart the download, it starts over from the beginning.
same here, it's like 2 days that I'm trying to update this game lol.

jtrov

Finally getting some free time this weekend to put in some hours and level up my character. Is there anyone on right now that could give me a guild invite?

My character in game is jtrov.

Blueblur1

Finally getting some free time this weekend to put in some hours and level up my character. Is there anyone on right now that could give me a guild invite?

My character in game is jtrov.
Check the OP for instructions to request an invite.

This here is the slider to up the amount of detailed models on screen. It won't let me change it, what gives?

I just have changed that.

In lobby's you should have noticed a lot of undefined grey characters without custom colors and stuff. This is what that control do.

I tried 100 (max) with a GTX560ti with no slowdowns so far, and lobby looks much better with full customized players running anywhere.

I just have changed that.

In lobby's you should have noticed a lot of undefined grey characters without custom colors and stuff. This is what that control do.

I tried 100 (max) with a GTX560ti with no slowdowns so far, and lobby looks much better with full customized players running anywhere.

I know what it does, it doesn't let me change it and I'm trying to figure out why. I'm running on a gtx670 so I know It's not my graphics card .

Wiseblade

So yeah, I should probably mention I'm fumbling my way through this too:

Wiseblade - Wiseblade

Don't expect much from me, it just took me an embarrassingly long amount of time to figure out how to change equipment. ¬.¬

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
After patching all day I accidentally uninstalled the game by clicking the wrong exe in my start menu.

I just did the exact same thing.
Damn me for being such a loser.
Now i have to update all day again.

Spawnling

Daww, I won't have my gaming computer back for a while. I wonder if they are planning on making this for XBLA like the first one?

Raide

Daww, I won't have my gaming computer back for a while. I wonder if they are planning on making this for XBLA like the first one?

Outside of the planned Vita and iOS version, nothing has been said outside of Japan. Hopefully something out of TGS, since SEGA would be crazy to keep this in Japan only.

If for some reason you need to reinstall the game, I'd just download the nearly 5 gb folder, copy it to the Sega folder, and run the launcher again (got the file from PSO-world):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_QzBMicjmQwRS10SkcyaEh4NXM/edit

Saved me a lot of time when I was trying to setup the game at my cousin's PC (and I had time to do a quick forest run before I had to leave).

I'm loving weak bullet for my ranger. I just need to figure out how to make it work consistently. Sometimes it activates, sometimes it doesn't. But doing nearly 4-digit damage is so glorious.

Jubern

Is there a way to activate vsync? the tearing is unbearable.

I'm using D3D overrider, it works like a charm!

Also, I tried to push the max character model on screen to 100 like advised and it really is better than the default, strangely enough. It slows down a little at first, but then the framerate stays pretty consistent.

I sent a whisper to twentytwo several hours ago but it seems like he didn't saw it :(

Could anyone send me a team invite? I'm Jubern and currently on block 2. Will be on for another hour I think!

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
They need to try making the updating process slower, it's much too fast!

VariantX

Are the weapon colors in this game for show or do they represent rank like in the original PSO? Finally got a couple of yellow weapons and they don't seem to do any more damage than the green ones.

Are the weapon colors in this game for show or do they represent rank like in the original PSO? Finally got a couple of yellow weapons and they don't seem to do any more damage than the green ones.

Not entirely sure what you mean, but I'm pretty sure colors represent the elemental damage type rather than weapon class. Weapons still use the star ranking system.

Mistle

Not entirely sure what you mean, but I'm pretty sure colors represent the elemental damage type rather than weapon class. Weapons still use the star ranking system.

In the original PSO they used to represent the rank of the weapon, didn't they? I remember when I progressed through the game and found red and purple weapons I thought they were just the coolest

I think I only ever got one S-rank yellow... Good times! I wonder if PSO2 will have an awesome challenge mode with an S-rank (or equivalent) reward for completing it.

UrbanRats

In the original PSO they used to represent the rank of the weapon, didn't they? I remember when I progressed through the game and found red and purple weapons I thought they were just the coolest

I think I only ever got one S-rank yellow... Good times! I wonder if PSO2 will have an awesome challenge mode with an S-rank (or equivalent) reward for completing it.

Yeah in the original it was like:
green < blue < red < yellow or purple and so on.
Then there were the special weapons, with various different shapes. most of which were though added in episode 2 on Game Cube.

VariantX

Well, in the original (PSO,v2, Ep2, Ep4) they had the star system, but for the normal weapons they had different colored photons that indicated its rank. The ranks from weakest to strong were: green,blue, purple, red, yellow. The star system was really more for rare weapons/drops.

From what I noticed the colors here simply seems to indicate the class so Hunter weapons are orange, yellow ones are Force weapons and blue ones are Ranger weapons but I could be wrong :/

Blueblur1

This is only true for PSU and it's handheld brethren. It doesn't work that way in PSO 2 as others have mentioned.

Mistle

Ah, I just changed this. Lobbys look heaps better now! Mine would change initially either... but then I realised I was clicking the "reset to default" button ._. haha

I'm on ship 2, block 21. I'm trying to do free forest field in 15 min! Somebody join the party "neoGAF?" and help me out :D

Does anyone here read Japanese? If so, how's the overall atmosphere and story so far? PSO had a pretty sad, depressing feeling throughout (
a lot of the people you quested for died or the objective was dead, Rico, Flowen
). I felt it really worked well for the game. Is any of that retained? It was sorely lacking in Phantasy Star Zero. Never played the Universe-era games.

I played the closed beta while I was in school, but now I'm back home and can't play due to shitty internet. The talk has got me playing Episode 1 & 2 on the GC again, though. Nostalgia-ing hard.

Mistle

Multiple attempts at 15 min S-rank of Free Forest, no luck. Probably need a team of 3-4.

Does the amount of enemies you kill help determine final rank? If so, is there a way to know when you've killed enough?

Multiple attempts at 15 min S-rank of Free Forest, no luck. Probably need a team of 3-4.

Does the amount of enemies you kill help determine final rank? If so, is there a way to know when you've killed enough?

Apparently you just have to kill every enemy that you see spawn, other that may or may not have spawned don't count... I hope that makes sense. I was able to solo(no ai team mates even) it by getting lucky(i found the way to the boss pretty quickly), but i was level 10 or so(and using that rocket launcher thing on ranger, it is hella powerful), may have been a bit high for it idk. Keep in mind though, with other plays more bosses spawn(have to fight 3 rock bears if you have 4 people).

VariantX

ugh, it shouldn't have took me as long as it did to do the mag mission. Why even give the mission out until you can do the lvl 7 forest mission?

Mistle

Apparently you just have to kill every enemy that you see spawn, other that may or may not have spawned don't count... I hope that makes sense. I was able to solo(no ai team mates even) it by getting lucky(i found the way to the boss pretty quickly), but i was level 10 or so(and using that rocket launcher thing on ranger, it is hella powerful), may have been a bit high for it idk. Keep in mind though, with other plays more bosses spawn(have to fight 3 rock bears if you have 4 people).
Ah ok, so just kill everything that spawns... Good rule to go by. I don't know if it's 100% true, as I feel I've skipped an enemy or two and gotten S-ranks, but it's good to know I don't have to deliberately go look for more enemies and sacrifice time.

And yeah, with 2 people, two Rockbears spawn. Perhaps I should try it solo.

Does anyone here read Japanese? If so, how's the overall atmosphere and story so far? PSO had a pretty sad, depressing feeling throughout (
a lot of the people you quested for died or the objective was dead, Rico, Flowen
). I felt it really worked well for the game. Is any of that retained? It was sorely lacking in Phantasy Star Zero. Never played the Universe-era games.

I played the closed beta while I was in school, but now I'm back home and can't play due to shitty internet. The talk has got me playing Episode 1 & 2 on the GC again, though. Nostalgia-ing hard.

It's a little too early to say anything concrete about the story. But one of the first things you see is
a random dude getting killed on the field when your partner waves at him to say hi
. What little story is in the beta seems primarily driven by this... person of indeterminate gender:

VariantX

Ah ok, so just kill everything that spawns... Good rule to go by. I don't know if it's 100% true, as I feel I've skipped an enemy or two and gotten S-ranks, but it's good to know I don't have to deliberately go look for more enemies and sacrifice time.

I think I was just there solo and I think I saw you and your group run by me on one of your attempts, and a Dark Ragne pretty much spawned behind me in a narrow space so I couldn't really avoid its attack and got dropped just like that...

You'll still get the solo Rockbear if you go solo but add NPC allies, so definitely use that to your advantage.

Man do I feel lost. I just got in and already am I feeling the old lost, confused, and intimidated feeling like I did in the original PSO. Anyone know where it is that I have to go to do quests or at least just go into the fields to kill stuff?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I figured it out

Man do I feel lost. I just got in and already am I feeling the old lost, confused, and intimidated feeling like I did in the original PSO. Anyone know where it is that I have to go to do quests or at least just go into the fields to kill stuff?

Can't leave the main Arks ship without starting a quest. Quest counters are at the left and right sides of the hangar gate. First option starts a quest, 2nd option explores quests in progress if you want to jump in to someone else's party.

Planning on getting some time in tonight. Only level 9 and just unlocked the free forest area. Planning on doing a run of that if anybody wants to join me after work (Japan time).

Top Bottom