• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 DirectX11 Tessellation Pack/High Res Texture Pack [Update: released]

The monster-size screens and killer rigs are making me dangerously envious. I have some questions but keep in mind I haven't played C2 nor do I own a gaming PC yet.

1. What are the new general (e.g. Low, Medium, High, Max) graphics settings?
2. Can you play on medium settings in DX11? How far up can you set individual settings like tessellation?
3. Does DX9 have new graphics settings?

I'm confused how to set the graphics now with so many variables. You can have DX9 or DX11, you can have at least 4 different general settings, and then you have half a dozen lesser settings that can have as many as 4 different settings. You can play C2 with dozens of different graphics settings! How the hell do I know which ones are right for my (future) computer? As a model, let's say that I want a computer with an i3 2100 CPU and a 6850 GPU and my monitor's resolution is 1600x900. How far can I push it?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
For those who are interested

Ran a fraps benchmark run with everything enabled/max/blabla @ 1080p, first 3 minutes of the submarine level, 65 avg. (29min/100 max)

2600k @4.5
SLI 560s @900
no SSD

DieH@rd

Banned
Crysis 2 DX11 benchmark, lots of GPU's are covered
http://gamegpu.ru/Action-/-FPS-/-TPS/Crysis-2-v-rezhime-DirectX-11-test-GPU.html

iHXjc.jpg

fbVKR.jpg

Some shots from DX11 multiplayer. All on Extreme except for Objects, which are Ultra. 6950 2GB + i7 920. I haven't played with all the Extreme/Ultra settings to see if more can be enabled without a further performance hit.

25-45 fps on this map
ibDs6e.jpg

ibDO4a.jpg

35-55 fps on this map
ibDMvS.jpg

idUHUS.jpg

ibDmhG.jpg

25-45 fps on this map
ib9Awi.jpg

idPPs8.jpg

25 min, ~70 max.

That 5770 performance! :/

And now Crysis 2 stops working when I start...

Edit: Quitting RadeonPro helped. Stop answering my own questions dammit!

NBtoaster

Csokis said:

Doesn't seem to have a commands for contact shadows or tesselation.

bloodforge said:
I haven't noticed the RLR, but I am close to the end of the game on my 2nd playthrough, not noticed anything using it.

Does the water use the RLR? Cause that still looks cubemapped to me.

I've only seen it affect small puddles, not 'real' water. Not visible on shiny buildings either. Not sure about cars.

http://i.imgur.com/2GYPY.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
dwebo said:
Uhh... what the hell is going on with that building?

It reminds me of the beginning of Back to the Future, where the Doc sends the dog back in time as a test. When it comes back, the outside of the car is all frozen over. It looks like those bricks.

Dang guys I have a 6870 coming in the mail Wednesday pretty much just for this game (I also considered a 560 ti or a 6950), (stepping up from my old 4890). I only have a Q6600, overclocked to 2.8ghz (could push it much higher but I'm a pussy about overclocking) am I screwed? Would like to run it at Ultra at 1080P.

This benchmark says a lot (560 ti). Nvidia money in play here for sure.

fbVKR.jpg

I know in most benchmarks before this game the 6870 hangs well with the 560 Ti. In fact in the most demanding games (Crysis 1, Metro 2033) where it actually matters, AMD 6950/6870 usually did better than the 560 ti.

So I guess what I'm asking is, do you think AMD will fix the 6870/6950 performance to equal or surpass the 560 ti with driver revisions, or should I refuse shipment on my 6870 coming in the mail and order a 560 Ti instead?

The other big game I bought the 6870 for is BF3, will the Ti crush AMD in BF3 as well due to Nvidia dollars?

Trojan X

Banned
How About No said:
That 5770 performance! :/

And now Crysis 2 stops working when I start...

Edit: Quitting RadeonPro helped. Stop answering my own questions dammit!

I'm feeling you as I got the same graphics card. I guess you got it working with that Nvidia download 1.9 patch?

RedSwirl

So no upgrade features at all for 32bit OS? And even if I do upgrade to Win7, how will my system handle it with just 3GB of RAM?

Also, is there a way to toggle tessellation by itself?

Trojan X said:
I'm feeling you as I got the same graphics card. I guess you got it working with that Nvidia download 1.9 patch?

Yep. I actually just cleared the prologue, it seemed to run fine. I'm running it in 1360x768 though.

burgerdog

So if everything is set to ultra I should have the reflections and all those fancy effects on from the trailer/pics?

edit
I ask because I haven't noticed the reflections at all.

burgerdog said:
So if everything is set to ultra I should have the reflections and all those fancy effects on from the trailer/pics?

edit
I ask because I haven't noticed the reflections at all.
yes. they stand out quite a bit on maps where there's water or a busted fire hydrant.

Erudite

Surprised how well my GTX 460 768mb, with a AMD Phenom 9650 @ 2.33ghz & 8 gb memory can run this on Ultra @ 1680x1050 with DX11 on. Indoors it runs perfectly, outdoors there's a noticeable drop in performance, but still playable nonetheless.

gillty

Banned
High-Res Texture Pack + Ultra DX11 (Minus Ultra Water) @ 1680x1050 = 28-37FPS

4.5GHz 2500k
4GB DDR3 1600
Radeon HD5830 (Catalyst 11.4 Preview)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
specialguy said:
Dang guys I have a 6870 coming in the mail Wednesday pretty much just for this game (I also considered a 560 ti or a 6950), (stepping up from my old 4890). I only have a Q6600, overclocked to 2.8ghz (could push it much higher but I'm a pussy about overclocking) am I screwed? Would like to run it at Ultra at 1080P.

This benchmark says a lot (560 ti). Nvidia money in play here for sure.

fbVKR.jpg

I know in most benchmarks before this game the 6870 hangs well with the 560 Ti. In fact in the most demanding games (Crysis 1, Metro 2033) where it actually matters, AMD 6950/6870 usually did better than the 560 ti.

So I guess what I'm asking is, do you think AMD will fix the 6870/6950 performance to equal or surpass the 560 ti with driver revisions, or should I refuse shipment on my 6870 coming in the mail and order a 560 Ti instead?

The other big game I bought the 6870 for is BF3, will the Ti crush AMD in BF3 as well due to Nvidia dollars?
I wouldn't buy any card from the 6xxx series, to be honest. What a letdown after the stellar 58xx launch.

RedSwirl

Okay guys here I go:

32bit OS
Q6600
HD 6850
3GB RAM
1440 x 900

This system could pretty much max the game out on DX9. Wish me luck.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
SapientWolf said:
I wouldn't buy any card from the 6xxx series, to be honest. What a letdown after the stellar 58xx launch.

It's not a letdown, it's dragon age 2 situation when DX11 was unplayable for Nvidia users because AMD helped with code.

SapientWolf said:
hardly. they're fantastic for the money.

this situation is about how the gpu company helped in some way with the development of this patch and the game itself.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
subversus said:
It's not a letdown, it's dragon age 2 situation when DX11 was unplayable for Nvidia users because AMD helped with code.
I'm referring to the relatively small increase in performance that the 6xxx series had over its predecessors. It was nowhere near the jump between the 4xxx and 5xxx level of cards.

neoism

:O holy shit... At first I really couldn't tell, but I played for about 15 minutes, and it looks alot better. I don't have faps or anything, but I wasn't getting 30 locked.... :( but it didn't go lower than 25... DX11/extreme at 1280x768

Smokey

Baiano19 said:
Looking at this thread people will think Crysis 2 actually launched yesterday.

For me it pretty much has. I originally built the machine I have now for Crysis 2 before Crytek fucked up the PC launch. In fact as soon as this texture pack finishes I'm starting the game over (was about halfway through, have had it since launch).

DeMeester

Yes, they finally fixed the white gun and yellow background issue on levels with rain. And I'm really digging the upgraded visuals btw :).

My GTX285 pretty much on par with the 6970 on DX9? Wtf is this? Surely the 6970 performs better than that no...? It's a 2 generation gap.

Edit: Ok, so a 1.5 generation gap.

n0n44m

*boots up Crysis 2 after patching dx11 & stuff

-dat grafixxx :eek:

*moves mouse, looks at framerate

-ouch

weirdly though its running @ 35~45 fps, but it feels slower somehow...
fake edit: it defaults to 50hz on my TV now so that may be the issue ... lemme search a fix for that before drawing any conclusions

(running single GTX480 @ 910 mhz, definitely will be getting the first next gen Nvidia card I guess D: )

-----

for the Nvidia/AMD "debate" ; AMD will probably release optimized drivers, I just hope Nvidia isn't so far ahead now because Crytek went for the HURRDURR amounts of Tesselation that current Radeons can't cope with as demonstrated in some other benchmarking/demo applications

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Baiano19 said:
Looking at this thread people will think Crysis 2 actually launched yesterday.

well that's kinda true

Vanilla Crysis 2 was kinda like Gandalf the Grey. Now we have Gandalf the White.

BlackDove

Banned
SapientWolf said:
I'm referring to the relatively small increase in performance that the 6xxx series had over its predecessors. It was nowhere near the jump between the 4xxx and 5xxx level of cards.

Yes, it wasn't meant to be. I suggest you wiki how hardware refreshes work. Nobody ever claimed the jump would be that big either.

Same goes for nVidia's cards. That's how the industry works.

Top Bottom