• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Tales of the Abyss

Just started this (3DS version) for the first time, and have played for about two hours. Liking it except for one thing (well two if you count the poor quality 3D) - the main character. Does he remain so unlikable? So whiny and it really takes me out of being in control of him, if that makes sense. Biggest reason why I prefer silent protagonists most of the time.

Also this is my first time playing a Tales game other than like an hour of Tales of Phantasia on GBA. Is Abyss considered a good Tales game, or are there better ones? Would I be better off playing ToP on GBA?

Last question: about how long should I expect the game to last?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I just started this as well, my friend said Luke does become a bit more tolerable when he wises up later on but at the same time he said he never liked him anyways. :lol The game lasted my friend over 80 hours not sure how much of that was him goofing around though.

Seda

The game is long, 50 hours or more.

Luke is supposed to be an ass at the beginning. He changes quite a bit throughout the game. Some like that change, others don't.

I think Abyss is pretty divisive when it comes to popular opinion. Some love it, others hate it, it seems.

ToA is pretty good, but in regards to ToP GBA it's basically the worst thing in the series next to Tempest and Destiny PSX

He definitely becomes a bit more tolerable as the game goes on. I personally prefer his jerkass personality, though.

In regards to game length, it's about 50-60 hours, give or take. The pacing gets a bit irritating around halfway through due to a lot of backtracking between previous locations, though.

other question, do you ever get some sort of warping ability (for example Viki from the Suikoden games) or is it all straight travelling?

Being a handheld game I can probably take the length, although my favorite RPG length would be probably 20-25 hours

squall211

I liked TotA enough to beat it twice. Luke is definitely annoying, but imo he gets better as the game goes on, but he doesn't go down as one of the great video game protagonists by any means.

The game also goes on a bit too long. You will reach a point in the game where you think you've just beaten the final boss....but you will actually only be halfway through.

other question, do you ever get some sort of warping ability (for example Viki from the Suikoden games) or is it all straight travelling?

It's straight traveling for most of the game. The game's airship does get the ability to instantly travel to a town or a dungeon somewhere down the line, though.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
TotA is like my 3rd favourite game.
It has great world building and a pretty decent story for a JRPG. I think the fanbase is split 50/50 on Luke, some liking him when he was jerk, and some preferring his late game personality. Honestly though, it's his growth throughout the story as a whole that makes me like him. Jade is the best though. Like literally, the best JRPG character in existence.

It's a looooong game, but it's worth every second imo. Only thing that'd make it better was if it had the CC system from Graces.

Luke is incredibly unlikeable and it is mostly intentional.

I say mostly because at one point he will change and will still be unlikeable but now unintentionally and for different reasons.

Yeah it takes time but Luke definitely improves.

I gotta say I really enjoy the game, I haven't finished it yet, I assume I'm about halfway through...man, this thing is long, but it's a pretty decent JRPG trip.

Seriously one of the worst JRPGs I've ever played.

I couldn't stand it straight from the beginning, let alone 20 hours in when I eventually quit because of how terrible it is.

Kikujiro

The good news is that the main character changes his attitude, the bad news is that he becomes even more unlikable, one of the worst protagonist in any game. Story is garbage, game is ok.

The best Tales of overall is Tales of Vesperia, the best battle system-wise is Tales of Graces.

I dunno, maybe I'd be better off playing something else. I mostly bought this because everyone was telling me that it was limited and would be hard to find in the future. I still see it new in stores everywhere.

So I guess a different question: play ToA or play Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light?

ubercheez

Ah, my favorite Tales. Such a fantastic game. Luke is intentionally presented as a jerk in the beginning, although they certainly do lay it on thick. I really enjoyed his character growth throughout the game.

It's a decently long game with a fair few missables (as Tales games always seem to have), but don't worry too much about that. The grade shop makes future playthroughs much easier if you decide you want to get everything.

I got about 6 hours in before realizing that this game was either bad or it just isn't the kind of game I'm interested in anymore or both.

I actually liked how much of an asshole the main character is, especially how he treats the incredibly annoying little blue moogle-wannabe. But his friend who is afraid of woman (surprised his nose didn't bleed at some point), the little girl who is creepily attracted to you, the cute moggle sidekick, the quiet pure young girl mystic, it was all just so cliche.

Also fonons.

Seriously one of the worst JRPGs I've ever played.

I couldn't stand it straight from the beginning, let alone 20 hours in when I eventually quit because of how terrible it is.
This is sort of my feeling as well. I would like to go back to it and give it another chance at some point, just because it was my first Tales game and a lot of Tales fans seem to really love it, but I abandoned it 15 hours in for Kid Icarus and I found it incredibly boring. Tear was the only saving grace.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Probably the worst cast I've ever seen in a game. Not one likable character.

I liked most of the characters, especially Jade. I don't understand why people give this game so much shit. The only real problem is the constant revisiting of the same towns.

I liked most of the characters, especially Jade. I don't understand why people give this game so much shit. The only real problem is the constant revisiting of the same towns.
I don't understand it either, especially when Vesperia is held up at the same time. I loved the cast in Abyss and the antagonists are great too. The music was the best of the 3D titles, the world the most visually interesting and the dungeons had a great balance to it (Symphonia a bit too puzzzly and Vesperia too plain for example). The battle system was great too (Vesperia was a step back imo).

It's not perfect sure as the world map is horrible (and then when you incorporate a couple of semi-dungeons in it...eek!) and the backtracking can be cumbersome too. Also there can be a lot of confusing exposition but that's sort of par for course with Team Symphonia Tales games.

If you have a 360, play Vesperia next. Way better than Abyss. Symphonia and Graces are better too.

I haven't played Graces yet, but I heavily disagree. Symphonia is great though (barring the horrible protagonists), but Vesperia? Nah. That game is not even top 5 for me in the series. I honestly don't get the praise for it.

ubercheez

Yeah, the only character I disliked was Anise, and even she got better in the second half.

Luke is a total dick, it's hard to get past that but he does grow and get better. Still, being a JRPG it takes like 10+hours and when he's at his worst....it's unbearable. Eurgh.

I dunno, maybe I'd be better off playing something else. I mostly bought this because everyone was telling me that it was limited and would be hard to find in the future. I still see it new in stores everywhere.

So I guess a different question: play ToA or play Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light?
If you're enjoying the game, don't let anyone tell you that you're not. Just keep enjoying it.

MrT-Tar

I played the game on the 3DS upon it's release last year (The PS2 original never saw a PAL release). I personally loved it, and it lasted me just short of 50 hours and I didn't do all the side quests.

I've only played 3 Tales games: Abyss, an NTSC imported Destiny and Symphonia. IMO Symphonia > Abyss > Destiny

Tellaerin

Wow, haters out in force.

Luke's personality does a 180 as the game progresses. Personally, I thought his character arc was believable and satisfying, and found myself pulling for him by the end of the game. And this is coming from someone who can't stand asshole protagonists.

OP, I'd suggest you play further into the game and draw your own conclusions.

Thoraxes

I think I put about 70 hours or so into the game. I enjoyed it on both PS2 and 3DS.

Luke's evolution kinda droned on, and I didn't really like what he became, but I still had fun with the game.

ubercheez

Also, this game has one of the most amazing endings ever, especially if you let yourself get emotionally invested in the characters.

Tellaerin

I honestly agree with this, especially compared to the rest of the Tales games I have played. Jade and Anise are particular offenders.

...you're insane.

Jade is, hands down, one of the best characters in any RPG. Period. Brilliant, witty, and the unrivalled master of deadpan snark. If you don't think Jade is likeable, you have no soul, my friend. NO SOUL.

...you're insane.

Jade is, hands down, one of the best characters in any RPG. Period. Brilliant, witty, and the unrivalled master of deadpan snark. If you don't think Jade is likeable, you have no soul, my friend. NO SOUL.

Jade is like....the best character in the entire series. So effortlessly awesome. He is who Yuri and Raven aspire to be like...they both could never though. ;)

Taruranto

The writing is the usual tales of crap, with more than one forced moment (i disliked how everyone just pinned the
blame on Luke when the situation was clearly more complex than that
), but it's overall a good rpg with a decent cast.

Too bad for the backtracking though, especially because it came after Symphonia with its 2 worlds.

Also fonons.

pioLt.jpg

I played it and very much enjoyed it. Sure it has it's faults (Backtracking to the towns, Framerate issues on 3DS version, etc...), but I thought it was pretty enjoyable. I liked some of the characters myself, though Luke was a douche in the beginning I thought he progressed well and it showed a decent struggle for him to change, which I liked.

rahuljx

Absolutely hated it. Story was the biggest offender. Every solution is fonic this or fonic that... None of it really makes sense and for a game thats so long it becomes a real chore. Im not sure who I hated more Ion or Guy...

Jade is the best though. Like literally, the best JRPG character in existence.

Is this a serious statement? He's awful, at least Luke grows through the game. Jade is a know it all asshole all the way though.
The main story in TOA is good, but the cast is weak, which is a habit in Tales games....except for Vesperia IMO. Tear and Guy are the strongest in TOA, but even then Guy has a bunch of generic JRPG/Anime tropes dragging him down.

Ricker

I am 25 hours in or so and yeah Luke is just starting to be less of an egocentric,selfish prick hehe...at first I liked the 3D in this,because it was the first game in this genre that I played in 3D,but yeah,it's not the best so I just turn it on during the in game cut scenes...I have to try and finish it at some point,because I liked it...

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Absolutely hated it. Story was the biggest offender. Every solution is fonic this or fonic that... None of it really makes sense and for a game thats so long it becomes a real chore. Im not sure who I hated more Ion or Guy...

Actually, going into a game with such heavy terminology made me write down a sort of dictionary on what exactly everything means and how it all ties together, just so I didn't lose track of the story, and it does all make sense.

Some of the voices are so awful. Seriously the best voice actor I've heard so far is the coach driver guy.

Really digging the music, though. I'll stick with it for a while. Battles seem kinda fun.

Actually, going into a game with such heavy terminology made me write down a sort of dictionary on what exactly everything means and how it all ties together, just so I didn't lose track of the story, and it does all make sense.

That makes the game even worse if you have to do something like that.

Top Bottom