• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dystify

Update: Everything we know about Nintendo NX and all (credible?) rumors (with sources). Click here.

Please note: Everything posted here is a rumor and mostly about the prototype.

TL;DR of the most important new details: NX may be region free. UE4 & Unity support NX. Layout of the system revealed (see images below).
Update: LPVG issued an update. The dimensions they posted may not be accurate anymore. This may also include the thickness of the device. LPVG originally reported 25mm for it. Emily Rogers says it's 14mm.
Update 1 September 2: Emily Rogers posted a wrap up of things we should expect in the retail NX version. Click here for link. Camera/Mic are not built inside of the NX portable. At least 2 shoulder buttons. Battery life doesn't sound great. NX launch in March, is ahead of schedule. More at the link. DISCLAIMER: It's a rumor until confirmed otherwise.
Update 2 September 2: WSJ reports NX uses cartridges. http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintend...go-retro-with-videogame-cartridges-1472811942 Click here for some quotes from the article if you can't read it.
Other recent info: NX prototype features a split d-pad. Has a Share button. 32 GB internal memory on prototype. Thread about this.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/08/report-nx-handheld-dimensions-layout-info-lack-of-region-lock/

Excerpt (more at the link):

As others already said, it’s a hybrid console with detachable controllers that have a split D-Pad, A, B, X, Y, and a camera / share button. However, something I believe none of them have mentioned is the size of the current dev kit.
It’s slightly thicker than the Nintendo 3DS XL when folded, so 25 mm, with a width of around 281 mm and a height of 92 mm with the controllers attached. Separated, the controllers have the same depth and height, and they both have a width of 38 mm, making the console itself have a width of 205 mm.
I’ve made a picture detailing where the TV port, headphone port, SD Card port, power button and cartridge port can be found.

DWSRjyX.png

One final thing I thought I should discuss is how the controllers connect. They’re both held by the console via a hole in each side of the system where the controllers can connect to. It sort of looks like this.

Dz9fZvF.png

To take it out, there’s a button on the back of each controller that lowers the center spike that keeps it in place, making it eject from the system.

We also have two separate sources claiming that the current NX development kits are region free, and that those developing software for it have not heard anything about region locking being added before launch.

Update on the TV connector: It seems to be able to connect to the dock AND to a TV.

vnjtfzY.png

(Source: https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/770950059987001344)

Update on the dimensions of the device. Dimensions reported may not be accurate anymore:
Editor’s Note: Since running this report, we have learned that the original source was less reliable than they claimed to be. We are sharing this information because, while the specifics such as dimensions below may no longer be precise, our other sources have agreed with a lot of the information as being accurate when presented to them for corroboration. These sources have reliably assisted with multiple, correct leaks in the past. The problems with the original source (who has not been involved in any of our other NX leaks) were our fault for moving quickly on the story, and we wish to be transparent about that fact.

Emily Rogers posted similar things about NX just before: https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/08/31/recap-of-nx-hardware-details/

Excerpt (more at the link):

• In May, I said Nvidia was involved with the system. (Source)
  • The screen is around 6 inches (6.2 to be specific)
  • The portable screen has a 720p resolution.
  • Multi-touch touchscreen (Haven’t heard anything about a stylus.)
  • 32 GB of internal storage is on the NX dev kit. (They may increase storage to 64GB for the final retail unit, but I doubt it.)
  • There is an SD Card port.
  • Dock Station has at least 2 USB ports on prototype. Not sure about final product.
  • NX will support Unreal Engine 4 and Unity engine
  • NX is below Xbox One and PlayStation 4 in raw power.
  • Dev kits are region free. I heard retail units might be region free too.
  • Nintendo still plans to support the 3DS with software through 2018.

A mockup posted in it:

Update on the stick placement:
nkvUJew.png

Update in Emily's article on the thickness of the device:
Update: I heard the prototype was around 14mm in thickness. Maybe a tiny bit more than that. Laura Kate Dale heard 25mm from her source. Which is different from what I’ve heard.
Update 2: Second source said thickness of NX prototype is closer to the bottom half of the New Nintendo 3DS XL.

Update September 2: Emily Rogers posted a wrap up of things we should expect in the retail NX version. https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/rumor-what-should-we-expect-from-the-final-nx-product/
I don’t expect many things to dramatically change from the prototype and the final product. Furthermore, I believe NX will hit its March launch without any delays because it is ahead of schedule.

Disclaimer: Everything in this blog post is rumor until proven otherwise.

Here is what you can expect from the final retail product:

• Custom Nvidia GPU chip
  • Region Free (No region lock) <&#8211; Confirmed this.
  • Six inch (6.2 inch?) multi-touch screen (Heard nothing about a stylus)
  • The touchscreen has 720p resolution. <&#8212; 100% Confirmed.
  • 32GB of built-in internal storage
  • SD card support
  • Supports USB 2.0 and 3.0
  • The dock has two 2.0 usb ports and one 3.0 usb port.
  • The device is around 14 &#8211; 15 mm in thickness.
  • The right analogue stick will be below the face buttons.
  • Camera and microphone are not built into the NX portable device.
  • Cooling is still a little noisy
  • Detachable controllers (motion controls and next-gen vibration technology) <&#8211; Everything Laura Kate Dale said in her article was correct.
  • Share / Social button that Laura Kate Dale posted is true.
  • There are at least two shoulder buttons. I haven&#8217;t heard anything yet about triggers.
  • Battery Life &#8212; Ehhh not great. I haven&#8217;t heard an exact number of hours, but it doesn&#8217;t sound great.
  • Below PS4 and XB1 in raw power.
  • Supports Unreal Engine 4 and Unity Engine.

Does this accommodate a 6.2 inch screen as previously rumoured? Also no reports on connecting controllers? The diagram seems to show asymmetry in the design, and a system that wouldn't allow for the two sides to combine together.

KingBroly

Banned
Dunno if I'm a fan of the SD card slot being on the same side as the TV connector. That'd also mean, to me at least, that when this thing is docked, it's upside-down, which is weird.

I mean if it's a screen with detachable controls, there really isn't any other way it could look

That's a super safe rumor to spread

Didn't see the dimensions at first glance. That's a bit more defnitive

ggx2ac

Dunno if I'm a fan of the SD card slot being on the same side as the TV connector. That'd also mean, to me at least, that when this thing is docked, it's upside-down, which is weird.

The TV connector could be a cable and not via the dock so you can still use touch controls.

Maybe.

Edit: Does anyone have time to compare it's dimensions to the Wii U Gamepad and 3DS XL for me? Thanks.

So if the tv connector is there that means the dock IS the SCD.

That tells me the dock is the secret SCD and hopefully is an accessory to boost power

Not if the dock is horizontal and slightly angled, like the original 3DS one:

3ds-chargingcradle-480x320.png

Alternative variant: the dock is a tray-loader, and you can access power button and cartridge slot (but not an SD card) while it's docked.

duo-in-dock-304.jpg

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
How many NX rumours threads have been opened in just this morning, what the heck :lol

Oregano

Aww the way the controllers apparently connects seems less elegant than I hoped and also rules out portrait mode.

KingBroly

Banned
The TV connector could be a cable and not via the dock so you can still use touch controls.

Maybe.

Edit: Does anyone have time to compare it's dimensions to the Wii U Gamepad and 3DS XL for me? Thanks.

n3ds xl is 156mm wide and this is 281mm wide.

:X

EVH

It’s slightly thicker than the Nintendo 3DS XL when folded, so 25 mm, with a width of around 281 mm and a height of 92 mm with the controllers attached.

At first I understood it as the original 3DS, but the truth is that the XL version is pretty OK when closed.

J@hranimo

Banned

Yeah that's my initial thought too. Really weird.

At last, we have some sort of visual as to how these detachable controllers connect to the device itself. FINALLY it makes sense to me! lol

Can't wait to hear the official details of this :D

So it's the 3DSXL without the top screen?

I'm thinking vita sized instead.

No region lock is aces, the only thing that could prevent me from buying this NX is the sticks. Still no clue whether they're nubs, and I really really hope its not, or traditional sticks.

Looking more and more like a powerful handheld tablet with TV out capabilities. The way this is described, it sounds hard to market the hybrid thing as the gimmick.

Would be sad to see Nintendo leave the home console side of things behind if this really is the whole picture. Regardless, this is the handheld I've always dreamed of.

maxcriden

It's referring to a closed 3DS

Ah, ok, misread that bit. Thanks.

For those saying this invalidates the existence of the dock or means the dock is for SCD-type boosting purposes, I see no reason TV connector can't just refer to where the HH plugs into the dock?

ggx2ac

It’s slightly thicker than the Nintendo 3DS XL when folded, so 25 mm, with a width of around 281 mm and a height of 92 mm with the controllers attached.

Wii U Gamepad dimensions

135mm (height) × 259mm (width) × 23mm (depth)

3DS XL dimensions

93.5mm (height) x 160mm (width) x 21.5mm (depth) (closed)

NX dev kit dimensions

92mm (Height) x 281mm (Width) x 25mm (Depth)

NX dev kit dimensions (without controllers)

92mm (Height) x 205mm (Width) x 25mm (Depth)

Edit: It's slightly wider than a Wii U Gamepad and slightly less in height compared to a 3DS XL. Thicker than both.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
i dont see why they will add region lock in a dev kit. Its not a consumer product.

As for the consumer product, i strongly feel NX will still be region lock.

pelican

If it isn't region free in 2017 then sorry Nintendo I'm not buying.

As someone who frequently travels to the US I like the option of picking things up while over there.

I'm not sold on the dev kit region protection setting precedent for the consumer models being region free, but I hope that's the case...

daxgame

well that's... quite some stuff. I've never heard of this website so I'm a bit surprised that they gathered so much info. I was expecting something else from Eurogamer or Kotaku or whatev

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So if the controller (when detached) houses the console connection piece on the side, how would you use it as a motion controller like previously rumored?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom