• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lumines: Electronic Symphony |OT| Shake Ya Body

JEKKI

Watch somebody really good play, like Mr. Hexic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQQt5OhlAZE

That helped my brain understand how the game worked more than any explanations given.

The new game has a new block type that might fuck with the usual way I play Lumines, though. Gonna have to play and see this Weds!
maaaaaaaaan.

I understand how he's playing, and I try to emulate that style in time mode,

but I jus cant move that fast!!!

I donno if it truly is my bad execution, or if the pspita's d-pad n buttons arent conducive to that intense play style

-_-

Duffyside

Banned
Is the only way to unlock all the skins to play Voyage until you beat it? Do the skins always go in the same order? It seems that way, and that's my biggest complaint: I want to see all the content, but I'm not good enough to get to the end.

I had a game that lasted over an hour last night, and thought for sure I had to be close. NOPE.

Is the only way to unlock all the skins to play Voyage until you beat it? Do the skins always go in the same order? It seems that way, and that's my biggest complaint: I want to see all the content, but I'm not good enough to get to the end.

I had a game that lasted over an hour last night, and thought for sure I had to be close. NOPE.

I believe you can unlock skins simply by playing the game. In past games you had to actually reach a skin to unlock it, but apparently not anymore.

Finished my second Voyage playthrough last night. about 65 minutes and 911k. Unlocked all the skins.

Gonna go for 1 million next time.

Depends really. I found those modes to be ridiculously awful. The only reason I bought the vs. DLC for the 360 version was to get more skins for edit mode. Puzzle mode, vs, dig-down are all just crap to me, to be honest. The devs put a lot of thought into the design of the core game, but they've been pretty bad at coming up with other modes of play that are fun or engaging.

It is weird, but I do agree with Bacon and Astro that the puzzle mode was just awful.

Tain

I might have to get this. Admittedly, in part, due to New Platform Hype. Is counter-stopping still a thing in this series?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Finished my second Voyage playthrough last night. about 65 minutes and 911k. Unlocked all the skins.

Gonna go for 1 million next time.

I hit a mil last night at 2 AM. Damn my eyes are bleeding now. Even years later I feel like I'm still getting better at the game though I'll certainly never be at that Hexic >2 blocks per second level.

The cool thing is that if you just want to get into the meat of the game you can play Master mode or whatever it's called, but I still like the main mode the best as always. Not like it's not tense since you're trying to rack up those chains. Hopefully they come out with some skin packs (again, I wouldn't even mind if it was partly old stuff) and we can compete on those as well.

It's definitely a change from Lumines Live, which is my background, because Lap 2 just goes crazy fast right off the bat. On Live you could do 3+ laps before it got that fast. There are also fewer skins with truly slow time lines, another joy of Live in terms of score-chasing.

TripOpt55

I didn't get to play a whole round because I wanted to try all my games out, but I got this this morning and got to about 190,000. I used to be able to get a million on 2, so we will see how it goes when I get a full run. Feels good. I think there is a new block that I am unfamiliar with.

Jonnyram

Yes, you need to complete a whole voyage.
Or maybe some unlock as your level increases, but completing voyage would probably happen first anyway.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hey, looking for some Vita Pals, and since this is my first game..

ID: TomaLexiVITA

Would be awesome if some people I already know from GAF\ people who know me could add me :)

I'll add you tomorrow then.

Himself

So are there any Mondo Grosso or Genki Rockets songs in this version of Lumines, or is it all just the stuff in the OP?

I'm also curious about this. And do the licensed tracks work as well as the original compositions in earlier games in terms of gameplay interacting with the music?

TripOpt55

Got to 973,000. So close to 1 million. And I wasn't signed in, so it didn't go on the leaderboard :( Didn't realize I wasn't signed in. Oh well I will take another run later. Really love the game and the soundtrack.

Jonnyram

I'm also curious about this. And do the licensed tracks work as well as the original compositions in earlier games in terms of gameplay interacting with the music?
It's the stuff in the OP plus 10 tracks made internally. The 10 internal tracks are not part of Voyage, but you can make a playlist from them and they're actually good tracks.

Nert

Hit about 1.3 million on my first Voyage. This game is such a stunning audiovisual experience. I'm loving the soundtrack even more than I thought I would, too.

Just started my first Voyage game
an hour ago
and need to give my eyes a break. Sensory overload.

This is about 8000 times better than playing on my 360. I've never played Lumines on a handheld before but it just feels so much better on the Vita.

(Also, that pistachio-and-chocolate skin on "Embracing the Future" is so yummy-looking. It makes me want a candy bar.)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just fired this game up for the first time. I'm still in my 1st session, taking a break though. 60 minutes in, cleared all skins in voyage mode judging from the trophy, and at 966k points. Phew. Pretty cool skins in this one...

Chatin

So, I didn't get around to playing Lumines in the last 24 hour block, and of course the world block would finally be finished. And yet, I still got "bonus" experience from it that bumped me from a measly level 17 to level 50 with all the avatars unlocked as well as a number of skins. Glitch? Sounds glitchier than Near, to me. And Near is glitchy as hell.

How the hell are you guys getting over a million in an hour of playing? I had to take a few breaks to keep my eyes from bleeding, but they weren't that long, and it took me well over an hour to get over 500k...

And add me: PSN youngplaya21

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Finished my 1st Lumines session. 1.5 million points on Voyage. But my score didn't post on the leaderboards? Wtf?

Edit: Nevermind, got it posted

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm not very good at this, but man it's a lot of fun. I love accessible but challenging score-attack puzzle games like this, so it's right up my alley, and the visuals and the soundtrack are fantastic. I can see this being my most played Vita game for a long time.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
This game is sooo much better than Lumines 2. I do miss the other modes a bit, but the core mode is so crazy good.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I was a fool not to get Lumines for £15 with my Amazon Vita deal, as the demo revealed this is a fine sequel. But lost opportunities and that, I'll probably wait for a bit of a fair price-drop on this as I can't justify grabbing all these Vita games at £30 a pop.

For some reason I haven't received the "True Believer" trophy: Play for over 3 hours within 24 hours.

I got the game 15 hours ago and played for 3 hours 23 minutes according to my Play Time. Anyone else having a problem with unlocking it?

Jonnyram

For some reason I haven't received the "True Believer" trophy: Play for over 3 hours within 24 hours.

I got the game 15 hours ago and played for 3 hours 23 minutes according to my Play Time. Anyone else having a problem with unlocking it?
Yeah, I am wondering about it too.
Maybe it's because it's based in a specific timezone (see World Block)? Or maybe it's something else.

Argyle

Conflicting information... I'm not good at Lumines, but I do like to listen/look at it while I kill some time. I sure hope I don't have to beat Voyage.

The 10 in-house skins unlock based on your level.

You can also unlock skins from Voyage through Game Goods in near, so maybe you can ask a friend who has completed Voyage to send some unlocks to you?

I still need to sit down and complete my first Voyage, I was never that great at Lumines and I haven't had enough free time to just sit and do it...my last attempt, I ended up losing at Gouryella which is the last skin and the only one I don't have unlocked now :p

Ungggh, I tried the demo and it was the same lumines of old but more shiny and sparkly. I got some extra money and I think I'm going to bite :D

Should I, guys??

Could someone explain to me what skins are? Are they associated with a particular song?

I kind of suck at this game, will I be able to unlock new songs over time just by playing suckily?

oh man. Now we just need more dub-step.

Hey, those lumines cubes/disco balls from the demo *are* very sparkly and shiny :p

Oh well, I'll get it later or tomorrow :) I hope I get some friends so we can compete on the leaderboards...

Just a quick question, how big is the game file?

And for those that suck, don't worry, you'll get better. You won't do insane things like those 200 on 60 seconds guys, but you'll get better.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hey, those lumines cubes/disco balls from the demo *are* very sparkly and shiny :p

Oh well, I'll get it later or tomorrow :) I hope I get some friends so we can compete on the leaderboards...

Just a quick question, how big is the game file?

And for those that suck, don't worry, you'll get better. You won't do insane things like those 200 on 60 seconds guys, but you'll get better.

The cool thing is that it is a great incentive to unlock new skins by going through Voyage. Getting through all of Voyage itself will definitely be a good challenge for the vast majority of players.

I tried this game out last night and it hooked me, as expected. The presentation is a significant jump from the last Lumines game I bought which was the first one on PSP. My first game lasted an hour but I ended up losing on purpose because I wanted to play some of my other games. :p

Himself

For those of you who have played these 1 hour+ games, is there a way to pause it and put the Vita to sleep to come back later?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't understand how you guys make the over 1 hour games the first time you boot it up. For me it gets way too fast.
I have never played Lumines before, but after 4 tries now my max is 88k.
Getting 10x that on the very first try seems insane.

I'm playing Voyage, as that's the biggest icon in the main menu.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
For those of you who have played these 1 hour+ games, is there a way to pause it and put the Vita to sleep to come back later?

Just press the PS button and put it to sleep. Make sure you don't accidentally close the game by peeling the live area or opening the browser

Or simply pause and put to sleep

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't understand how you guys make the over 1 hour games the first time you boot it up. For me it gets way too fast.
I have never played Lumines before, but after 4 tries now my max is 88k.
Getting 10x that on the very first try seems insane.

I'm playing Voyage, as that's the biggest icon in the main menu.

Hahah well those people it's not their first time playing Lumines, just this version of Lumines. So don't feel bad. :p

Top Bottom