• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Board Games Thread: Async Multiplatform Meeples

PittaGAF

Fearing the worst about Star Realms :(
I already knew their 'buy once' policy would pose problems with Apple.
I hope I'm wrong but...

PittaGAF

Why would that be a problem? Many games/apps are like that.

Really?
I wasn't aware of it.
Right now, apparently, if you buy the game on Android, it will unlock the game on iOS (single player campaign included).
How they do this? Always online required?

Anyway...I hope you are right..can't wait to play it.

Didn't realize there was a digital board game community here. Anyway, I've been getting back into trying to play Agricola on iOS after having played it a few times in person. Anybody have tips for the beginning of the solo series? I can usually get mid-40's but 50 seems to elude me.

Brakara

Really?
I wasn't aware of it.
Right now, apparently, if you buy the game on Android, it will unlock the game on iOS (single player campaign included).
How they do this? Always online required?

Anyway...I hope you are right..can't wait to play it.

It's an IAP, so you're not required to be online all the time (only when restoring purchases). As long as Apple gets its 30% when bought on iOS, it should be fine.

PittaGAF

It's an IAP, so you're not required to be online all the time (only when restoring purchases). As long as Apple gets its 30% when bought on iOS, it should be fine.

How they know you bought the full game on another platform?
How can you unlock the full game on PC after having bought the iap on iOS?
They said it's tied on your account (that's why I assumed online is required)...but I do not know if this sits well with Apple policy.
I'm curious...which other games let you unlock things like this?

Brakara

How they know you bought the full game on another platform?
How can you unlock the full game on PC after having bought the iap on iOS?
They said it's tied on your account (that's why I assumed online is required)...but I do not know if this sits well with Apple policy.
I'm curious...which other games let you unlock things like this?

Restoring purchases are not done through Apple, that's why it works. The account is your Star Realms account you create when you start the game, and you of course needs to be online when you create your account and when you restore your purchase. Think of it as an IAP like Kindle and Comixology used to have, though they removed the IAPs from iOS because they wanted it all for themselves but you can still buy a book on pc and read it on an iPad. Conceptually, this is exactly the same as buying the "full" game since the game you get out of the box is still very playable with a tutorial, the first campaign set and battles against the AI. So you're kinda buying the expansion which is the second campaign set and mp (local and online). And in the future you'll be able to buy more expansions.

PittaGAF

Restoring purchases are not done through Apple, that's why it works. The account is your Star Realms account you create when you start the game, and you of course needs to be online when you create your account and when you restore your purchase. Think of it as an IAP like Kindle and Comixology used to have, though they removed the IAPs from iOS because they wanted it all for themselves but you can still buy a book on pc and read it on an iPad. Conceptually, this is exactly the same as buying the "full" game since the game you get out of the box is still very playable with a tutorial, the first campaign set and battles against the AI. So you're kinda buying the expansion which is the second campaign set and mp (local and online). And in the future you'll be able to buy more expansions.

I see, thanks.
I didn't know apple was cool with this.

Firehead

PC users NEED to check out Tabletop Simulator. We've even got a Steam Group! (though I didn't make it/not sure why my avatar is the group icon)

Hah, oops. Forgot I had used your avatar as the icon. Was a placeholder, basically.
If anyone would be up for the challenge of making a new icon for the group, it'd be greatly appreciated. :)

But yeah, everyone on PC should totally join this group. Hopefully we'll be able to get some game nights going!

PC users NEED to check out [URL=" Simulator[/URL]. We've even got a [URL=" Group[/URL]! (though I didn't make it/not sure why my avatar is the group icon)

How is Tabletop Simulator? I saw it on Steam before, but wasn't sure how I felt about it, nor what it really offered out of the box. Personally, I tend to boardgamearena or VASSAL. Did join the group though. Would love to have more board gaming buddies.

How is Tabletop Simulator? I saw it on Steam before, but wasn't sure how I felt about it, nor what it really offered out of the box. Personally, I tend to boardgamearena or VASSAL. Did join the group though. Would love to have more board gaming buddies.

It's great! Especially now with full steam workshop support. Playing traditional board games is slightly more difficult due to the introduction of physics, but all around the experience just feels more "real" being able to kind of do what you want. In addition to the dozen or so preset game modes, there's a suite of custom importation tools for cards and full 3D models and textures, supports up to 8 players locally through hotseat mode and online via server browser or direct connect/LAN, in-game voice chat, plus plenty more features as time goes on (there's a major content update about once every 2-3 weeks)

Brakara

So, according to their fb page, Star Realms was resubmitted to the App Store a few days ago because Apple wanted them to do some tweaks. Hopefully, this means it will be available soon.

I've only played a few games of star realms so far, but I think it'd starting to grow on me. It feels very similar to something like ascension, but I like how everything can build off other cards of the same faction type. It also has more interaction between the players, which is great because that's always been my issue with ascension.

Of course I've only played a few games though, so it might fall apart after I play it more.

Playdek are scheduling server downtime later.
Is this the new expansion coming?
Does anyone know if Star Realms will be universal?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Playdek are scheduling server downtime later.
Is this the new expansion coming?
Does anyone know if Star Realms will be universal?

yep that's gotta be it. gonna be tons of fun, hope we can get a little ascension community up and going again, especially now that it's cross-play with android.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
..... I could have sworn I saw Eclipse for OCTGN somewhere. I played a near 70 point Planta game the other day and I want to play again so bad!

PittaGAF

I hate the fact I was right but....yeah....Star Realms got rejected for the second time in a row.

Sigh.
Next submission will be next week.

:(

PittaGAF

Could be.
Pocket Tactics thinks the same tough, after having talked with the dev (just guessing of course).

Anyway, it doesn't really matter and we probably never know.

Still...the game is not out on the AppStore and won't for another 10 days, at the very least :(
Sigh...I was really hoping to play it over this week end.

Brakara

Ah, just read their speculation. But if it was that, why would it be rejected a second time (if they cut it after the first rejection)? It's weird anyhow, but if it's because of that, then that would be bad news indeed since this would affect Ascension in the future.

PittaGAF

Ah, just read their speculation. But if it was that, why would it be rejected a second time (if they cut it after the first rejection)? It's weird anyhow, but if it's because of that, then that would be bad news indeed since this would affect Ascension in the future.

I have no clue of course...and to be honest it doesn't really matter.
:(
I just hope they resolve anything that could be and it gets approved fast.

Daigoro

Blood Bowl comes out tomorrow on Android and iOS apparently. http://www.pockettactics.com/news/i...rturned-blood-bowl-hits-ios-android-tomorrow/

Has anyone played the PC version?

I have. its certainly rough around the edges, but it's basically Blood Bowl. really great game, but it's obviously better on table top. pc version was ok (still meaning to get to those updated versions, im sure they're better than the original). I can see it being complicated to learn if you haven't played the board game.

I imagine it will be worse playing it on a phone. but ill give it a whirl if my phone can handle it.

I have. its certainly rough around the edges, but it's basically Blood Bowl. really great game, but it's obviously better on table top. pc version was ok (still meaning to get to those updated versions, im sure they're better than the original). I can see it being complicated to learn if you haven't played the board game.

I imagine it will be worse playing it on a phone. but ill give it a whirl if my phone can handle it.

iPad only (unless you can play it on an Android phone)

Phinor

Nearly two months since the last patch for Summoner Wars on Android. I wonder if they are still working on it, as the current version doesn't work at all on so many mobile devices including all four of my devices.

Blood Bowl might be interesting but then, I have every version they have released on my PC already.

PittaGAF

Apparently, Star Realms was submitted to Apple last night.
It's the third time, after two rejections.
The devs think that this time they have sorted everything out...I'm really hoping for a fast approval...can't wait to finally play it.

Slacker

Looks like The Manhattan Project is available on android now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.domowiczcg.manhattanproject

Looks pretty good, but I'm hesitant after the failed Kickstarter campaign where the devs basically said if they got the money they would be able to do it right, but if not they'll just toss what they have on the stores bugs and all. I assume iOS is forthcoming but who knows. It's one of my group's favorites in real life.

Looks like The Manhattan Project is available on android now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.domowiczcg.manhattanproject

Looks pretty good, but I'm hesitant after the failed Kickstarter campaign where the devs basically said if they got the money they would be able to do it right, but if not they'll just toss what they have on the stores bugs and all. I assume iOS is forthcoming but who knows. It's one of my group's favorites in real life.

... And, first review talks about a bug.

I want to play the game, but I think $7 for a buggy experience is stupid.

Top Bottom