• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtue's Last Reward SPOILER Thread

LiK

yy8ma.png

Let's discuss the story!

---------

UPDATE

jschreier

What's the deal with the hidden ending? Do you have to get every archive or just beat every room on Hard? Also, is it an alternate ending or a supplemental one?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
What's the deal with the hidden ending? Do you have to get every archive or just beat every room on Hard? Also, is it an alternate ending or a supplemental one?

Beat all the puzzles on Hard to unlock the Alternate path... which hints at what will come in the third game :> End or Beginning~

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I still need one more trophy to obtain the Platinum... need to finish getting the rest of the gold files.

RyougaSaotome's choice of Tenmyouji as an avatar makes all the more sense now :D

Hahaha! All is clear!

His pose in the official art is also VERY similar to his pose in the 999 art as well.

And yeah, as I had been saying, VLR is as direct a sequel to 999 as you can get. Given the ending, I would say that going forward all future games should be approached as such.

Not knowing who Akane or Junpei were, among others, would be big what-the-fucks if I hadn't played 999.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Tenmyouji saying he was looking for Akane was one hell of a holy shit moment.

Hahaha, there were several of those for me. Specifically in K's, Luna's, Sigma's and Phi/Alternate endings. No amount of mindblown.gif macros could describe my feelings.

Yup! That's what made me suspicious early on. Also when we first met the older woman dead on the floor, I had a gut wrenching hunch it might be Akane. The confirmation later was like a kick to the nuts... Until I found out it was ok.

My big mindfuck moment was when I decided to betray Phi early on cause I figured I'd get the negative options out of the way first. After feeling really bad though, I went back and trusted her, only to have her betray me saying she remembered what I did in the other timeline.

Holy fuck my mind was in shambles.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yup! That's what made me suspicious early on. Also when we first met the older woman dead on the floor, I had a gut wrenching hunch it might be Akane. The confirmation later was like a kick to the nuts... Until I found out it was ok.

My big mindfuck moment was when I decided to betray Phi early on cause I figured I'd get the negative options out of the way first. After feeling really bad though, I went back and trusted her, only to have her betray me saying she remembered what I did in the other timeline.

Holy fuck my mind was in shambles.

That, and when Akane goes all meta on (you).

That, and when Akane goes all meta on (you).

The whole final chunk of the game really threw me for a loop. VLR doesn't have the singular HOLY SHIT moment that 999 did (finding out the secret behind the bottom screen), but on the flip side it has way more "WHAAAAAT" moments in my opinion.

Having had nearly a year to reflect upon it, I think I definitely prefer VLR. It's a bigger, better game that gives you way more time to get to know the characters. By the end-game, I was really pulling for everybody and hoping to god that Sigma and Phi would be able to change the future.

I just want another game. Now.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
The whole final chunk of the game really threw me for a loop. VLR doesn't have the singular HOLY SHIT moment that 999 did (finding out the secret behind the bottom screen), but on the flip side it has way more "WHAAAAAT" moments in my opinion.

Having had nearly a year to reflect upon it, I think I definitely prefer VLR. It's a bigger, better game that gives you way more time to get to know the characters. By the end-game, I was really pulling for everybody and hoping to god that Sigma and Phi would be able to change the future.

I want it now too ._.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I know, right? I'm still on a super high coming off the ending. Soooooo many moments, I agree. And yeah, VLR is most definitely the bigger game than 999 but I still enjoyed both equally. I really enjoyed Sigma a lot more than Junpei - one of the best MCs in a while for me actually. Bring on the third game now ;-; I need to know what happens to everyone.

jschreier

Your Sigma actually being ~65 threw me for a loop like the bottom screen secret did. I had a sudden VLR-esque flashback remembering that when they showed the whole group, Sigma was never there (or always had his back turned). And they'd sometimes show his torso, but never his face. And IIRC Clover calls him grandpa...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Your Sigma actually being ~65 threw me for a loop like the bottom screen secret did. I had a sudden VLR-esque flashback remembering that when they showed the whole group, Sigma was never there (or always had his back turned). And they'd sometimes show his torso, but never his face. And IIRC Clover calls him grandpa...

Old man jokes abound. Yeah, that moment was crazy when they finally revealed it. Between that and K's big revelation *_*

Belisarius

Neo Member

Clover and Phi both call him "grandpa" (or "old man"), Alice makes a comment when he says he's in college about how his degree seems to be taking him a long time, Phi (or someone) makes a comment about how his hearing is going too, I think (presumably both a reference to his age and his monocle thing)... There are quick a few comments people make that seem odd in context but make way more sense when you know he's an old man.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Haha, yeah... was totally confused by that until the revelation. At one point too I wondered if he was a gaulem based on certain events but that turned out to be Luna.

Belisarius

Neo Member
Haha, yeah... was totally confused by that until the revelation. At one point too I wondered if he was a gaulem based on certain events but that turned out to be Luna.

I like that it's Luna who's like "What if you're a robot?!" What a troll.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I like that it's Luna who's like "What if you're a robot?!" What a troll.

Serious. I was really upset at her at one point in the game. Specifically when she showed back up after being "dead" and then snuck off somewhere. Sigma being the boss he is decided to stick around for her ending though, and I went through an emotional roller coaster as Luna told me her story as she started wasted away :(

Belisarius

Neo Member
Serious. I was really upset at her at one point in the game. Specifically when she showed back up after being "dead" and then snuck off somewhere. Sigma being the boss he is decided to stick around for her ending though, and I went through an emotional roller coaster as Luna told me her story as she started wasted away :(

Yeah, her whole confession/story when she dies is one of my favorite parts of the game, probably because it makes me want to cry every time. ;_;

I also really enjoyed Luna's character because a lot of the stuff she talks about, and the stuff that happened to her, brings up a lot of questions about intelligent machines, and how we relate (or, I suppose, will relate) to them. A lot of more-or-less sympathetic characters (i.e. Old Sigma, Kyle, Akane) do or say some pretty horrible things to her, apparently with the sole justification that she's a robot. Plus, the fact that she's essentially murdered in cold blood by Zero III (and, by extension, Sigma and Akane) is...kind of messed up. It's never clear whether or not she's really a "true" AI, but given what G-OLM says about how "if it looks/acts/etc like a human..." she might as well be, which makes her (and, by extension, all of the other GAULEMs) basically slaves that live and die at the whims of their masters. Which is...pretty dark.

Hahaha, that's one of the ones I took during my play through! Good to see it pop back up! XD

I remember being so sad when I discovered Sigma was old. WHAT ABOUT ANY RELATIONSHIP WITH PHI? =(

There's still a chance though. I can hold on to hope!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hahaha, that's one of the ones I took during my play through! Good to see it pop back up! XD

I remember being so sad when I discovered Sigma was old. WHAT ABOUT ANY RELATIONSHIP WITH PHI? =(

There's still a chance though. I can hold on to hope!

Yeah I felt that way too... but more for selfish fangirling over how rad Sigma was as a character, lol. Noooooo, young handsome Sigma :(

Belisarius

Neo Member
Yeah I felt that way too... but more for selfish fangirling over how rad Sigma was as a character, lol. Noooooo, young handsome Sigma :(

He'll always be young and handsome in your heart! And in the reams of fanfiction various pairings will undoubtedly inspire.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
He'll always be young and handsome in your heart! And in the reams of fanfiction various pairings will undoubtedly inspire.

Too true.

Although this image was terrifying when I first saw it:

20120606223316a89.jpg

Pretty cool that that specific scene was done completely with 2D character art.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
FINALLY I CAN TALK! :D

I was gonna use a Tenmyouji avvy as well because... yeah! :D But then it was the same avvy that RyougaSaotome had so I went back to Miku. I should draw a custom avvy of him or something... :D

I have to say, I love the way the game feels so different with the way routes are handled via the flow-chart. I remember going down Tenmyouji's route and the first time I chose "Ally" and he betrayed me. So then when I went back I chose "Betray" assuming he'd do the same and suddenly he's all Ally. Sigma was all WTF DUDE?! You chose betray last time! And Tenmyouji was like "Last time, WTF r u talking about dude!" Really threw me for a moment there! :D Also randomly, Gaulem was fucking awesome!

The only thing I didn't like was Quark. Or more accurately, his stupid fucking hat was dumb. Didn't like it at all.

I REALLY like where the story is going, and I really hope the 3rd one comes around in a couple years.

Look familiar?
60tWK.jpg

Well dayumn!

I gotta say, when you discover the truth behind Junpei and that he never did find Akane, that shit is sad. Least they met again, ON DA MOON.

I too enjoyed the different feel of the game. Because we as the players have already experienced the nonary game (albeit a different one) VLR goes about creating tension and mystery in different ways.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Well dayumn!

I gotta say, when you discover the truth behind Junpei and that he never did find Akane, that shit is sad. Least they met again, ON DA MOON.

I too enjoyed the different feel of the game. Because we as the players have already experienced the nonary game (albeit a different one) VLR goes about creating tension and mystery in different ways.

I know you played the Japanese version, but I implore you to check out the localization. It's top notch - really well done on the part of Aksys. I'm so glad they got to handle the sequel.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
I know you played the Japanese version, but I implore you to check out the localization. It's top notch - really well done on the part of Aksys. I'm so glad they got to handle the sequel.

Awwww <3 <3

It's all thanks to Ben's awesome editing skills~ ;D

But the entire VLR team did great :D!

I was planning on it! Wanna support my buddies + localization efforts for games like this.

Plus I just really want to know how you folks handled certain things. I'm just currently drowning in work and reviewing/previewing other titles.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hmm... maybe a little? Not really though.

Yeah, it's really borderline. I've slept on it and I think I'm not going to finish it. While you wouldn't be able to see what's ON the photo, the fact that he's looking at a photo at all might be too much.

I'll think of something else. ^^;

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah, it's really borderline. I've slept on it and I think I'm not going to finish it. While you wouldn't be able to see what's ON the photo, the fact that he's looking at a photo at all might be too much.

I'll think of something else. ^^;

Maybe just go Tenmyouji official art? I think there's only one other poster using him and it's a fanart image.

Kazerei

Banned
I finally got the true ending! But I'm not even sure if I saw all of it. In the last scene, I was in Kyle Klim's body, wondering who was Phi, what happened between Dec 25 and Dec 31 2028, and how the mission to save the world went. I guess we just assume it worked out?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
I finally got the true ending! But I'm not even sure if I saw all of it. In the last scene, I was in Kyle Klim's body, wondering who was Phi, what happened between Dec 25 and Dec 31 2028, and how the mission to save the world went. I guess we just assume it worked out?

It's essentially a big lead in to the next game :)

Kazerei

Banned
Welp, I'm hooked! :)

Does the final secret also tie in to the next game? Adding 1 letter to the bomb deactivation passwords is this:

MYBROTHER
CRASHKEYS
FREEZSOUL
MYRMIDONS

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Welp, I'm hooked! :)

Does the final secret also tie in to the next game? Adding 1 letter to the bomb deactivation passwords is this:

MYBROTHER
CRASHKEYS
FREEZSOUL
MYRMIDONS

I was wondering if anyone would actually decrypt those :3

And we'll have to wait and see :)!

Edit: Speaking of hidden passwords, the telephone in the Crew Quarters also has Easter Egg phone numbers with corresponding messages, if anyone can find them all ;)

I think the database entries comment on a few...

Top Bottom