• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall on PC will have controller aim assist

Opiate

Will they be able to play against KB/M users by default? Or will they have their own segregated servers, which are separate but equal?

Not sure how this is a bad thing really. Otherwise kb/m users would have an advantage over the vast majority of controller guys.

Hell, they still will.

I really don't have confidence in any developer to actually find a magical balance for aim assist for gamepads vs keyboard and mouse. I can only hope that they err on the side of caution.

Kurdel

Banned
Awesome!

I like to think like Valve that if a controller player can hang with the KB/M without having any outstanding advantages, why not?

I mean, if the auto-aim is broken to the point where controller people have an advantage, it would hopefully be corrected before release. I am sure that data can be analysed and they made the right calibration of auto-aim.

Let's reward the inferior input scheme.

Yay!

Subjective tastes are subjective.

Like others I'm curious if they will allow you to filter servers based on controller auto-aim

I have faith Respawn will balance it accordingly or at least give gamers the option

Enkidu

Not sure how this is a bad thing really. Otherwise kb/m users would have an advantage over the vast majority of controller guys.

Hell, they still will.
If you bring a gamepad to a keyboard and mouse fight you kind of deserve what you get though. The big problem would be if somebody figures out how to enable the aim assist when not using a gamepad.

TheUsual

Gold Member
What if I switch control schemes mid-game? Do i get kicked off the server or something?

That's a good question. Definitely a scenario I never thought of? Maybe the game won't allow you to switch mid gameplay? As in, the change will take affect after the match. Who knows.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
If they have segregated servers, I'm so in.

If it's aim-assist controller vs KB/M, KB/M will still absolutely dominate.

I really hope for segregated servers. If that's the case, I will never play this game hunched over my computer clawing at my mouse like Gollum.

Comfy couch all the way.

cersei-slaps-joffrey-game-of-thrones.gif

good way to ruin the PC version....................................

The Cowboy

I freely admit I'll be playing it on PC with my 360 pad (as I'm a living room PC gamer), but I really hope there is an option to force this off server side - so server owners can force all players to have no aim assist at all (regardless of input).

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hot damn.

If the Xbox One version ends up being 720p, and the PC beta performs well on my PC (Which it should considering it dwarfs the XBO in power), then the PC version is a no brainer at this point.

1080p+, full AA, AF, Controller support, and (potentially) better assets and or effects.

That said, I am wanting a reason to boot up my Xbox One other than to watch TV on.

bleh.

nynt9

Awesome!

I like to think like Valve that if a controller player can hang with the KB/M without having any outstanding advantages, why not?

I mean, if the auto-aim is broken to the point where controller people have an advantage, it would hopefully be corrected before release. I am sure that data can be analysed and they made the right calibration of auto-aim.

Subjective tastes are subjective.

Actually, you can prove objectively that gamepads are worse for pointing tasks (aka aiming) using many mathematical measures, one such measure being Fitts's Law.

Edit: In fact here's an article with scientific experiments that shows the mouse is best suited to suck tasks: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00140137808931762

Alienous

To give them a fighting chance? Sure.

It won't help.

That said I am dreading using the keyboard for movement. I wouldn't even consider it for Mirror's Edge.

I'm thinking more that if people realize that it will have controller aim assist on the PC version, it may get people to stay with/go to the PC version instead of the console versions... dunno, just a thought.

Nabs

I freely admit I'll be playing it on PC with my 360 pad (as I'm a living room PC gamer), but I really hope there is an option to force this off server side - so server owners can force all players to have no aim assist at all (regardless of input).

Server...owners? There won't be any community servers.

Mesoian

This isn't surprising and as long as there's a tickbox that hosts can set to allow KB/M only, Controller only, or mixed, everything will be fine.

People need to calm down about this.

Actually, you can prove objectively that gamepads are worse for pointing tasks (aka aiming) using many mathematical measures, one such measure being Fitts's Law.

Edit: In fact here's an article with scientific experiments that shows the mouse is best suited to suck tasks: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00140137808931762

This is actually pretty cool and furthers my bafflement into why no one has even attempted to come up with a comfortable, small form, mouse based control solution. Something like a bluetooth mouse with 7 buttons and a Nunchuck with 3.

That's a good question. Definitely a scenario I never thought of? Maybe the game won't allow you to switch mid gameplay? As in, the change will take affect after the match. Who knows.
Or, what if I prefer to use a controller when in a Titan, but mkb on foot? Not that it makes much sense, but still something to ponder.

RulkezX

Hot damn.

If the Xbox One version ends up being 720p, and the PC beta performs well on my PC (Which it should considering it dwarfs the XBO in power), then the PC version is a no brainer at this point.

1080p+, full AA, AF, Controller support, and (potentially) better assets and or effects.

That said, I am wanting a reason to boot up my Xbox One other than to watch TV on.

bleh.

Pretty much everything I am thinking.

OT - Would controller only lobbies even work on PC ? Seems like something that would be incredibly easy to spoof.

Hot damn.

bleh.

Exactly this. Seriously, since it runs a modified Source Engine, most PCs should be able to run the game regardless. Tack on the controlled aim assist can really seal the deal and in turn means that a person doesn't have to spend $500 extra for a console when you can play it just the same on your PC.

If you bring a gamepad to a keyboard and mouse fight you kind of deserve what you get though. The big problem would be if somebody figures out how to enable the aim assist when not using a gamepad.

Hmmm. Dunno about that. I think the aim assist would fuck up a kb/m user's aim more than it would help. Hell, I even turn it off on controllers because it fucks me up on that.

Yep, just separate autoaim servers from free aim servers. Input method shouldn't be the distincting factor.

GavinUK86

i was contemplating getting it for pc but if it does have proper controller support then now it's a no brainer. some days i feel like using a k/m and some days i would prefer using a controller. wonder how any kind of aiming assist will affect the balanced gameplay. sure, aiming with a mouse is far quicker but if someone has the ability to snap to a target it's a whole different issue.

RulkezX

If you're spoofing that kind of thing, you won't be able to compete regardless.

Maybe spoofing was the wrong term, what I meant was a hack to fool the game into thinking you were using a pad while using a Kb/M would seem like a relatively simple thing to do.

Demon Ice

Banned
Won't matter, KB/M will still utterly dominate controllers as far as aiming as concerned. The upper limit of turning speed using a controller will be hugely limiting.

Mesoian

Maybe spoofing was the wrong term, what I meant was a hack to fool the game into thinking you were using a pad while using a Kb/M would seem like a relatively simple thing to do.

No, I gotcha.

If you're doing that, you can't compete, and you'll still get beat by people of a higher skill level.

It's not like using KB/M in a room full of pad users who are absolutely vicious is going to make you automatically shoot you to the top of the rankings. If you're doing that shit, you are still going to get beat a LOT if people using your own control scheme in randoms are giving you trouble. I liken it to fighting games. Sure, between two people of high level, the one using the stick might have an advantage over the one using a pad. But for real, if an average joe goes up against Fanatic, they're going to lose regardless of controller choice, even if they have input assists on.

CryptiK

In before someone emulates the controller via mouse and keyboard and we all have aim assist. These game details keep getting better and better >.>

Top Bottom