• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U hacked?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Same team that did the PS3 in.

8 days ago: http://fail0verflow.com/blog/2012/wiiu-teaser.html
8 days later: http://fail0verflow.com/blog/2012/8days.html

(see the blog post title)

marcan said 9 days ago:
we're calling the WiiU security processor the Starbuck (vs. Starlet on Wii). And it seems to be about equally vulnerable, too

sorry, I'd rather not talk about how I got that yet. It doesn't involve leaks, it involves Wii U hacks ;)

marcan said today:
Pro tip: 40 character hex strings are usually SHA1 hashes, not encryption keys.

Hmm, if that number is what I think it is...

Should be interesting to see if this is a vector into 3DS as well. Maybe, maybe not.

-KRS-

Wow that was fast. But unfortunately maybe not that surprising considering how rushed the OS seems in general.

Stewox

Banned
Well ...

ReggieFils-Aime.jpg

Kyoufu

Lets pretend it's hacked and homebrew is available for all to do what they want (Region Free, Run games off HDD etc) then what are the chances of being able to access Wii U's online features without being banned?

Zeroth

Lets pretend it's hacked and homebrew is available for all to do what they want (Region Free, Run games off HDD etc) then what are the chances of being able to access Wii U's online features without being banned?

Considering Nintendo can't even restore account names from accounts that were deleted, I would say 0%.

Wait and see.

Torraz

Unlock ALL the regions!! LET THERE BE FREE REGIONS FOR EVERYONE!!

This. That would seriously make me consider picking up the console.

If it stays region locked I'll have to wait until the first relevant jrpgs are released. Then I'll have to see whether they are localized, and if so, to what region.

Seik

Banned
This will be useful for me if NoA chokes on the next Monolith game for almost a year like they did with Xenoblade.

Skyzard

Banned
If it becomes difficult for Nintendo to patch properly (no clue about this stuff personally) then this isn't going to help with their wanting more third party games..

Think it will be ok?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If it's going to be the same cat and mouse game like on PS3 then I'm not going to bother. Sure it's nice to run some emulators and back up your games to the hard drive but if they force you to keep updating software just to use your machine which kills the hack then I'm out. That was a huge pain in the arse.

onQ123

if the Wii U really has 32MB of fast eDRAM on the GPU we should be able to get a PS2 emulator out of this lol

Haunted

regionfree!

regionfree!

regionfree!

*chants*

I'll be honest, I wouldn't have used my Wii as much as I did if it hadn't been for the homebrew applications. WiiU has less deficiencies that could be fixed by homebrew, but it'd still be nice to have.

DieH@rd

Banned
They are hacking emulator of Wii, same thing happened with Vita with its PSP emulator just mere days after it launched.

The homebrew channel stuff was posted yesterday, this cryptic 8 days message is from today. It's possible they've made further progress on the Wii U in general. Let's wait to see what they have to say about the most recent post.

This isn't the same thing, HBC on WiiU came out yesterday.

Still, I doubt this will lead to something substantial. It would be beyond embarrassing to fuck up the Wii U security like they did with the Wii. They learned their lesson after the DS and managed to lock down both the DSi and 3DS, so I would assume they've done the same with the Wii U.

Top Bottom