• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoNintendo: "Getting the switch at gamestop might be a bit of a difficult endeavor"

bomblord1

Banned
Surprised I didn't see a thread on this.

Story
http://gonintendo.com/stories/271487-gonintendo-today-s-big-story-1-8-17-exclusive-info-on-gamest

Our inside source, the same source that gave us the info on the advertising and stuff like that. He said "Getting the switch at gamestop might be a bit of a difficult endeavor because it seems that, not all, but a good majority of gamestop stores are not going to have to many switch units to go around"

Full Video Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCvqoil3GH8

Better lock in your pre-orders while you can. I know I'm planning on going to gamestop on my lunch that day to do it.

JoeM86

Jesus Christ NOA, sort your shit out.

When listening to things like the NVC podcast and posts here, it's always complaining about availability, pre-order capability etc. and it's just shocking.

I have not had one issue here in the UK. Got the amiibo I wanted. Got the NES Classic Mini. Got everything I needed with no issues.

GulAtiCa

It was kinda that way for the Wii U as well. After the 1st pre-order open for the Wii U, was impossible for me to get a pre-order for it at Gamestop. Was able to get it at Best Buy though.

z0m3le

Banned
Nintendo already announced they have 2 million units coming for launch, if anyone thinks that is going to be enough to just walk into a store, remember that even the Wii U sold 3million.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Friday will be a long day...between the conference, treehouse live and securing a preoder.

Im ready though.

More artificial shortages? If so I'm hardly surprised.

...well Gamestop isnt the only retailer selling systems. Then again GAF says the system wont sell unless its sub 200...so you shouldnt have any issues getting one on launch day without a preorder.

When listening to things like the NVC podcast and posts here, it's always complaining about availability, pre-order capability etc. and it's just shocking.

I have not had one issue here in the UK. Got the amiibo I wanted. Got the NES Classic Mini. Got everything I needed with no issues.

I remember the Wii shortages in the UK though, and fear for my chances here.

woopWOOP

Oh boy.
Chances are I'm not gonna get it day one, so I guess I'll have to settle for day 365 instead, if I'm lucky

Bowl0l

To all, don't fall for this foolish tactic.
Stay strong and wait for Nintendo to bundle 2 Switch first party non-port game in June.
NoA is playing the same strategy like the NES Mini.

You have to wonder there must be a guy out there that works at Nintendo and decides how many Switches and Nintendo classic are produced. Rumor has it, he/she is sadistic bastard.

NateDrake

Not exactly surprising considering Nintendo said they expected to ship 2 million Switch by the end of the fiscal year. If evenly distributed it would be around 660k for each region by the end of March. Restock will be the important factor in all of this.

Gestault

If simply pre-ordering is troublesome, something is wrong with the supply and purchase structure. To a less immediate (but still frustrating) extent, the same is obvious when supply issues stretch beyond the launch window.

I couldn't find the NES Classic in stock anywhere, mate (UK). Outside of scalper prices.

redcrayon

The UK is hardly a picture of reasonable stock levels for popular items. The Fire Emblem Fates special edition sold out in all of 10-30 minutes last year in the UK, if you weren't hitting refresh on either the Game website or Nintendo UK at specific times (or more likely had an alert set up with an in-stock tracker) you were at the mercy of scalpers. The NES classic wasnt freely available everywhere either, I saw a total of one in the wild in my town.

Depends what you're interested in and where you are really, although at least the Switch will be freely available eventually even if you can't get one in the first few weeks.

It's a vicious circle for the more limited items- low print runs for perceived low demand means that scalpers buy up most of the stock, making it even harder for the few people who actually want one. Nintendo should just allow pre-orders on their websites in advance, which would at least give them a better idea of actual demand.

True Fire

So is it artificial shortages or incompetency at this point?

Nintendo's strategy has been artificial shortage since Amiibo. And it drives up demand like crazy. Sell outs get media coverage. Disappointed kids get parents crawling over each other to buy Nintendo products

liquidtmd

Banned
Honestly at this point, it's Nintendo's loss.

We are mid generation with the other consoles. Gaming wise the next six months are STACKED across all platforms. I don't doubt first day interest will be probably higher than they can reasonably fill, but fuck me - they've had years to prep this. The Wii U has been effectively dead at retail for over a year.

If they don't make sure availability is there shortly after launch and the promotion is top notch, casual consumers and gamers generally at this point are swimming in choice at reasonable price points. They will just walk.

PSFan

Nintendo already announced they have 2 million units coming for launch, if anyone thinks that is going to be enough to just walk into a store, remember that even the Wii U sold 3million.

Why does everyone who quotes that, forget the part about 'by the end of the Fiscal Year'. Which is just a week or two after launch. And they also forget Kimishima announcing that they are able to ship more than 2 Million if needed. Stop fearmongering.

PMS341

I've said it before and I'll say it again - don't bother getting your Switch from Gamestop.

No matter what allocation they receive, they will hold a percentage of said allocation for markup purposes. They will "bundle" games and accessories with the held units and upcharge for them, using their "Web-in-Store" option as the primary means of receiving a system (that is, of course, if the system does not go down at the time of preorder).

Amazon, Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, Fry's, etc. are all better options.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm just gonna pay in full on Friday morning. If they accidentally sell my preordered system come launch day, asses will be kicked.

Akai__

I'm wondering if this will be the case in Germany. Next week is going to be fun.

So is it artificial shortages or incompetency at this point?

Didn't they already say that they won't sell the Nintendo Switch at loss? I think that also means that they won't produce too many units at 1st, right?

Ashby

Nintendo's strategy has been artificial shortage since Amiibo. And it drives up demand like crazy. Sell outs get media coverage. Disappointed kids get parents crawling over each other to buy Nintendo products
Amiibo? People been accusing them of artificial scarcity since the NES launch, my dude

This is exactly the kind of news I've been expecting... It's currently below 20 degrees out where I live so I'm really hoping the weather picks up before Friday. If not, I'll be freezing my ass off while I wait for Gamestop to open.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Good luck trying to enjoy Treehouse Live while waiting for that pre-order link to show up

Im not in the US so i dont should have those issues...ill try to get it from Amazon Germany.

I will enjoy Treehouse live anyway heh.

Plum

I hope it isn't too bad in the UK in terms of pre-orders. My local Tesco is mere minutes away and is 24 hours so I should be able to go there at 9am or so on the 13th and get a preorder in. I'll put an Amazon UK preorder in as well just in case that fucks up. Personally if you're going to GAME, Gamestop or your local equivalent you're going to have a harder time, it's always best to go somewhere that isn't focused on games.

Ugh, I'm not playing this game again. If I can't easily get a preorder in, then I'll just wait until stock is to normal levels. I've got plenty of other video games I can play while waiting, and I'm saying this as someone who's bought every Nintendo console at launch since the GCN.

Admodieus

If Nintendo underships this thing, Microsoft and Sony should both drop the prices of their base level consoles to $200 for the Switch's launch month

Top Bottom