• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Omaha |OT| We Swear We're More Than the College World Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck, I always take this shit serious. Kinda freaks me out. I can't even hear thunder yet in midtown

Looks like it went directly over Fremont and Valley. Hope its just strong winds without an actual touch down

I'm in the Millard area right now. Ranby said the guys at Valley may have seen a tornado north of there. Looks like its a thunderstorm warning now.

ZBR

I live over in Northwest Omaha and the winds don't seem too bad although I do hear a bit of thunder.

I live over in Northwest Omaha and the winds don't seem too bad although I do hear a bit of thunder.

Yeah, at 156th and Maple area it is just a run of the mill tstorm at this point. Don't blame anyone for sounding the alarms based on that radar though. Better safe than sorry, especially after the Millard tornado a few years ago.

Kudos to Ch7 weather btw, they are always on top of this stuff.

Yeah, at 156th and Maple area it is just a run of the mill tstorm at this point. Don't blame anyone for sounding the alarms based on that radar though. Better safe than sorry, especially after the Millard tornado a few years ago.

Kudos to Ch7 weather btw, they are always on top of this stuff.

Definitely. I remember when that tornado was just up the street from where I live and Chuck McWilliams was the only guy on TV following the storm. He seems like a great guy, he used to shop at the Bag N Save where I used to work.

Just raining and lightning here in Millard. Winds seem to have died down.

ZBR

It kind of came out of nowhere for me considering I got home about an hour and a half ago from a friend's house out by 72nd and Blondo. It felt really nice outside.

Pretty standard thunderstorm, glad it wasnt worse. Sounds like a lot of power outages, though.

Interested to find out if a tornado actually touched down in Fremont or Valley earlier

FyreWulff

That seems to happen

STORM: I'M GOING TO WRECK YOUR SHIT

*gets to eastern nebraska*

STORM: nm imma go check my facebook brb

South Omaha / Bellevue rain was horizontal there for a bit

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
We had good rain and wind in Papillion, maybe some light hail from the sound of it. Couldn't be assed to get up and look last night. That is literally how I feel about our chances of anything crazy happening up here. :p

Circle T

Yea, a Big O thread!! Other than when I went away for college, I've lived in the CB/Omaha area for 30+ years. Sure, it isn't the biggest city out there, but I kind of like that. We're big enough to get some good stuff (concerts, sports, events), but we aren't that big that we have those big city problems (traffic, property expenses, etc). The weather can be a pain, with the hot, humid summers, and crazy cold, blizzards in the winter. But, the spring and fall can be very nice (today's storm, notwithstanding).

One of my favorite things about this area is the golf. As someone who grew up playing golf, this area is a great spot. Not sure if it's still true, but at one point a few years ago, Omaha and the surrounding metro areas had the highest golf per capita in the nation. Lot's of great courses to play (Indian Creek, Quarry Oaks, Pacific Springs, Shoreline). The COX Classic at Champions Run every year is also a big draw, and one of the biggest event of the season on the Web.com Tour. Omaha Country Club is hosting the US Senior Open this year, as well, in July. That will be great.

Kwixotik

I'm gonna be in Omaha on June 1st. Definitely going to check out Taste of Omaha while I'm there and maybe the Old Market and gardens.

Any other, maybe lesser known, places/shops/bars anybody would like to recommend?

I'm gonna be in Omaha on June 1st. Definitely going to check out Taste of Omaha while I'm there and maybe the Old Market and gardens.

Any other, maybe lesser known, places/shops/bars anybody would like to recommend?

Krug Park and Library Pub are great places for beer.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

can't beat Stella's for a good, juicy burger. :)

I would also nominate Dinker's, but it can be hit or miss.

see5harp

The best place to see shows was Sokol Underground. There were good steakhouses but I can't believe that Canuck guy reccomending asian restaurants in the middle of nowhere west omaha. Aint nobody got time to drive all the way out there. 72nd street is really the farthest I'd even want to go.

Bars that I used to regular in college were the homie inn near saddle creek, sullivan's (conor oberst's regular spot), and any of the spots in dundee. My old friends tell me that the slowdown is now the spot for basically any band to play.

zomaha

That must be one hell of a zoo! It just got added to the list.

you got a link to that list? i'm curious to see what's on it.

and yeah, the zoo is superb. they've done quite a lot of work over the last 3-5 years (let alone the major changes done since i was a kid), and they're about to start on a complete overhaul that will change the entire layout of the place. the Rosenblatt Stadium memorial thingy will be a cool touch.

FyreWulff

Yeah I think the zoo is neat, but I'm still surprised when people from like.. LA and NYC tell me they visited it and thought it was better than their own zoos.

I think it's because Dr Simmons was essentially the Walt Disney of zoos. Too bad he never got the pandas he wanted.

They have the master plan on the website. They're going to get rid of the cat complex and put them in outside displays in the forgotten east side of the zoo, which should be pretty neat.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Yeah I think the zoo is neat, but I'm still surprised when people from like.. LA and NYC tell me they visited it and thought it was better than their own zoos.

I think it's because Dr Simmons was essentially the Walt Disney of zoos. Too bad he never got the pandas he wanted.

They have the master plan on the website. They're going to get rid of the cat complex and put them in outside displays in the forgotten east side of the zoo, which should be pretty neat.

Other zoos I have been to are pretty pathetic. I am so desensitized to the zoo now, however, since we have a family pass and go 5 times a year or so.

Definitely check out Kingdoms of the Night. Pretty awesome exhibit. We got to do a tour one night where they turned all the lights on, cool seeing all the nocturnal animals sleeping in the simulated sunlight. Then we got to go to the jungle at night when all the bats are out flying around. Getting buzzed by a bat at 30 miles per hour is exhilarating!

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

FyreWulff

Other zoos I have been to are pretty pathetic. I am so desensitized to the zoo now, however, since we have a family pass and go 5 times a year or so.

Definitely check out Kingdoms of the Night. Pretty awesome exhibit. We got to do a tour one night where they turned all the lights on, cool seeing all the nocturnal animals sleeping in the simulated sunlight. Then we got to go to the jungle at night when all the bats are out flying around. Getting buzzed by a bat at 30 miles per hour is exhilarating!

I've been in everything bunches of times. Kingdoms of the Night is good, although a bit too crowded for me lately.

It seemed super special as a kid, but ever since we were able to afford passes I got there a lot. Last year I was trying to get in shape and walked the zoo almost every day for a month. Didn't dull it for me at all.

I have to remind myself something when I'm in there that I'm actually still in South Omaha, it still feels like you're going somewhere else when you go through the gates.

I still have not pulled off viewing every exhibit in one visit. Sometimes I have to tap out after just the Lied Jungle + Desert Dome + Aquarium loop.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I've been in everything bunches of times. Kingdoms of the Night is good, although a bit too crowded for me lately.

It seemed super special as a kid, but ever since we were able to afford passes I got there a lot. Last year I was trying to get in shape and walked the zoo almost every day for a month. Didn't dull it for me at all.

I have to remind myself something when I'm in there that I'm actually still in South Omaha, it still feels like you're going somewhere else when you go through the gates.

I still have not pulled off viewing every exhibit in one visit. Sometimes I have to tap out after just the Lied Jungle + Desert Dome + Aquarium loop.

Yeah, I have a 3-year old and a 5 month old. We usually hit the jungle, aquarium and gorillas or cats, then peace out. A lot of times we mix in the Kingdoms or butterflies, but not always,

zomaha

Yeah, I have a 3-year old and a 5 month old. We usually hit the jungle, aquarium and gorillas or cats, then peace out. A lot of times we mix in the Kingdoms or butterflies, but not always,

you guys are lucky you weren't my parents....i dragged them to every single exhibit every time we went when i was a kid. i had to see 'em all, especially the elephants. my dad never bothered to make it up Pachyderm Hill, just chilled with the sea lions.

i still remember the exact route we would take: jungle-->aquarium (it was chaos when that first opened)-->giraffes/zebras-->hoofed animals-->the bridge over the lake with fish you can feed and monkey island-->sea lions-->elephants/rhinos-->lunch on the hill-->the aviary-->gorillas/orangutans-->the bears-->petting zoo/dairy world (where i worked for one summer)-->then finally up the hill to see the cat complex.

man, those were great times.

FyreWulff

Dairy World is getting nuked in the new master plan. They already buried the pond.

It's going to be some sort of south american village thing

Fonz72

Hi NebraskaGAF! I can't believe no one has said Johnny's Cafe maybe not the best, but the history more than makes up for it. King Fong Chinese is the oldest Chinese food restaurant in Nebraska! Been around since 1920. The decore in that place is amazing!

FyreWulff

re: tesla, it looks like they updated their page but not exactl locations just yet

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

Coverage
Today – 8 stations
Summer 2013 – 27 stations
Fall 2013 – Most metropolitan areas
Winter 2013 – Coast-to-coast travel via I-80
2014 – 80% of the US and Canada
2015 – 98% of the US and Canada

That has to mean Omaha is getting one.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
re: tesla, it looks like they updated their page but not exactl locations just yet

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

Coverage
Today – 8 stations
Summer 2013 – 27 stations
Fall 2013 – Most metropolitan areas
Winter 2013 – Coast-to-coast travel via I-80
2014 – 80% of the US and Canada
2015 – 98% of the US and Canada

That has to mean Omaha is getting one.

If you look at their changing slider image, they actually mean I-90 through SD. Not sure which to trust.

see5harp

I'm down with The Drover (not sure it still exists), Johhny's, and that place right off the freeway that was featured in About Schmidt (forgot the name but it was a ballroom type thing).

see5harp

I-80 between california and omaha (and then omaha to chicago) is pretty dead. I'm not sure you can count any city in WY as "population" and basically it's that and Salt Lake City.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Great Platte River Road Archway Monument trumps Rushmore.

Lol, that thing is a joke.

Ever taken the tour inside of it? It's kinda neat, if you're into that whole pioneer thing. But yeah, totally lame from the outside. But I mean, it's outside of Kearney. What do you expect?

Ever taken the tour inside of it? It's kinda neat, if you're into that whole pioneer thing. But yeah, totally lame from the outside. But I mean, it's outside of Kearney. What do you expect?

Maybe once when it first opened, don't remember much of it though. I'm sure it has some neat stuff, no doubt, but it is quite ugly and a pretty poor draw (hence its bankruptcy).

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Maybe once when it first opened, don't remember much of it though. I'm sure it has some neat stuff, no doubt, but it is quite ugly and a pretty poor draw (hence its bankruptcy).

Not as bad as those rusty spears and jagged metal on top of that bridge in Council Bluffs. What were they thinking?

Dead Man

you got a link to that list? i'm curious to see what's on it.

and yeah, the zoo is superb. they've done quite a lot of work over the last 3-5 years (let alone the major changes done since i was a kid), and they're about to start on a complete overhaul that will change the entire layout of the place. the Rosenblatt Stadium memorial thingy will be a cool touch.

Hah, not really written down anywhere, just in my head, the things I want to see on my next trips overseas. Indoor habitats are amazing to me, I went to the Burgers Zoo in Arnhem a few years and loved it. http://www.burgerszoo.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom