• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefro

That last one feels like an extremely unsafe assumption, to the point that I would strongly advise against spreading it around. The Republican hardcore ALWAYS shows up, and they ALWAYS vote in a straight line ticket. That's been the rule for the last 6 years, and I think we should be examining 2018 and 2020 with that in mind.

Our chief objectives should be threefold: resurrect the state parties so we have candidates for every race, excite our base, and figure out a way to overcome voting restrictions. Don't even think about driving down Republican turnout, there's never going to be a decent reward on investment there.

It's a bit of a different situation with Republicans controlling everything.

I wouldn't spend a ton of money driving down Republican turnout, but fire needs to be met with fire. We know Trump's RNC will probably be targeting FB ads to get Dems to stay home.

There also needs to be money put into researching the best methods to get your average Fox News viewer/talk radio listener/Breitbart reader to kick the habit.

That last one feels like an extremely unsafe assumption, to the point that I would strongly advise against spreading it around. The Republican hardcore ALWAYS shows up, and they ALWAYS vote in a straight line ticket. That's been the rule for the last 6 years, and I think we should be examining 2018 and 2020 with that in mind.

The bolded being the key here.

The "rule" of the last 6 years wasn't that the GOP are the only ones who vote in midterms, it was that the off party from the president are the ones that show up to midterms, and that held true with few exceptions.

That's been the rule the past six years largely because we had a Democratic president. Ruling party turnout is always reduced in midterms.

Our chief objectives should be threefold: resurrect the state parties so we have candidates for every race, excite our base, and figure out a way to overcome voting restrictions. Don't even think about driving down Republican turnout, there's never going to be a decent reward on investment there.
Of course - I'm not counting on it, but it's something I could see Trump doing, especially if particular Republicans in the House don't go along with what he's doing.

kess

C-SPAN's historian POTUS survey results
https://www.c-span.org/presidentsurvey2017/?page=overall
as3E4Bw.png

Move over Buchanan, I think we know who'll be in top contention for that 45th spot very soon...

One hopes that after Trump people have more appreciation for Truman because of his far more courageous civil rights stand and his backing of the Atlantic consensus that directly contrasts with Republicans today. There has been a steady conservative reaction to devalue his presidency because he is diametrically opposed to Trump's dreams of neo-mercantilism and economic intimidation. Check out some of the Wikipedia edit pages on Douglas MacArthur to see what's going on behind the scenes.

Ernest

Banned
So what you're saying is there's hope?. Cuz good god I need some right now. I want the GOP to be completely annihilated in 2018.
Not gonna happen in 2018, even if the tide is strongly anti-GOP, there won't be enough seats up for reelection to turn the house, and the ones that are, are in very safe, deeply gerrymandered territories. 2020 is more realistic.

Tillerson's having a blast:

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...rium-lodgings-signal-uneven-start-as-diplomat

On his first trip abroad as U.S. secretary of state, Rex Tillerson was forced to stay at a sanitarium in a German village known for its hot springs, 30 minutes from where other world leaders gathered. Diplomatic security agents mingled in the parking lot with elderly people in wheelchairs arriving for spa treatments.

Tillerson, the former head of Exxon Mobil Corp., was at the sanitarium because Bonn's hotels were all booked by the time he confirmed his attendance at this week's Group of 20 meeting. Counterparts including U.K. Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson had to make a trek out to meet him.

The unusual diplomatic debut continued during an awkward encounter with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov. After Lavrov delivered some perfunctory opening remarks alongside Tillerson, U.S. aides quickly ushered reporters from the room. ”Why did they shush them out?" Lavrov asked.

SAD!

Bill Scher ‏@billscher 7m7 minutes ago
696 executive branch positions require Senate confirmation.

For 662, Trump has not yet nominated anyone
Stupid Democrats slowing down the Administration

Not gonna happen in 2018, even if the tide is strongly anti-GOP, there won't be enough seats up for reelection to turn the house, and the ones that are, are in very safe, deeply gerrymandered territories. 2020 is more realistic.

Every House seat is up for reelection in 2018.

The Senate is obviously more in favor of the GOP, but that's not gerrymandered.

Christine

Your conclusion may well be correct, but House Representatives serve a two-year term so every seat is contested every election.

chadskin

Um

@AP:
BREAKING: Trump administration considers mobilizing as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up unauthorized immigrants.

studyguy

Um

@AP:
BREAKING: Trump administration considers mobilizing as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up unauthorized immigrants.

He literally cited operation wetback in everything but name during the campaign. Of course he'd try it again. Mind you we consider it a mistake, it hurt the economy and we threw out some citizens too.

studyguy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...senhower/index.html?client=ms-android-oneplus

During an interview with Jake Tapper that aired Sunday on "State of the Union," Tapper noted that many people recall the 1954 operation as a "shameful chapter in American history."

"Well, some people do, and some people think it was a very effective chapter," Trump replied. "When they brought them back (to Mexico), they removed some, everybody else left," Trump said. "And it was very successful, everyone said. So I mean, that's the way it is. Look, we either have a country, or we don't. If we don't have strong borders, we have a problem."

Do not understand how there aren't GOP congressional member from distracts that are heavily agriculture or service-based industry economies who will stand up against this stuff. They have to know it helps tank their own people. Not giving a shit about the bigger picture nationally when it easy, but when it's a direct thing on your district that usually gets people to wake up.
Well the good news is the Russia story is out of the news.
This can only work for so long. There's a finite number of flat-out crazy things to propose before it becomes impossible to top yourself. Basically I'm saying we're going to end up with a war, as that's the only thing that lasts long enough to be a perpetual distraction.

Sibylus

Banned
Bait or not, trial balloon or not, the amount of flak this receives will be instructive to the WH about how much shit they think they can get away with. We say nothing at everyone's peril.

100k solider story may be bait as well laid out by his admin to discredit. Take care.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/832614815323529218

https://twitter.com/20committee/status/832615282652884992
I would point out a couple of things - first, at this point, with this administration, an official denial should carry very little weight. The odds of them either lying or simply not knowing what the left hand is doing (as it were) is too high. Them not being willing to comment on the AP story makes this likely. Second, that would be an enormously bone headed move. They are living firmly in the Tyson Zone right now, and the last thing they should be doing is spreading even more enraging FUD, since there's no way it'll go away after it picks up steam. Even if it's false, people will still believe it. Finally, it's STRAIGHT out of their playbook;ridiculous, poorly conceived, and incredibly dangerous. I would put money on it being real.

studyguy

I would point out a couple of things - first, at this point, with this administration, an official denial should carry very little weight. The odds of them either lying or simply not knowing what the left hand is doing (as it were) is too high. Them not being willing to comment on the AP story makes this likely. Second, that would be an enormously bone headed move. They are living firmly in the Tyson Zone right now, and the last thing they should be doing is spreading even more enraging FUD, since there's no way it'll go away after it picks up steam. Even if it's false, people will still believe it. Finally, it's STRAIGHT out of their playbook;ridiculous, poorly conceived, and incredibly dangerous. I would put money on it being real.

Those are all reasonable points to make, I agree. The plan is stupid if it ever was the plan but all the same I have no doubt Trump will be talking this up tomorrow calling it an example of unfair reporting. "How did reasonable person approve doing this" seem like the typical response to their actions these days so what do you do, right?

Is Spicy doing a briefing today?

Those are all reasonable points to make, I agree. The plan is stupid if it ever was the plan but all the same I have no doubt Trump will be talking this up tomorrow calling it an example of unfair reporting. "How did reasonable person approve doing this" seem like the typical response to their actions these days so what do you do, right?

Is Spicy doing a briefing today?
I mean, he would do that anyway, lol.

And I think we've got Spicy again today unless his boss preempts him again.

whyamihere posted about this earlier but I'm pretty hopeful that Washington Democrats can take back the State Senate, as there will be a special election in a heavily Clinton, albeit GOP-held seat soon.

Winning it would take the number of states with Democratic trifectas up to a whopping seven, something we could more than double through 2018 just by winning governor's races in Clinton states (NJ in 2017, IL, MA, MD, NM, NV, VT in 2018) to go to 14.

Assuming nothing else changed in governor's races and composition of state legislatures, AK, CO, LA, ME, MN, MT, NC, PA, VA, and WV would also have split governments, meaning Republicans would have trifectas in 26 states. Of those, I would say Colorado and maybe Maine are the only ones that stand a reasonable chance of going full blue - other states are too red, too gerrymandered, or in MN's case, don't hold their State Senate elections until 2020.

We can flip a number of those GOP trifectas into split governments however by winning the governor's mansion. FL, MI, NH and WI are all obvious targets, while there are other swing states that swung hard to Trump (IA and OH) or red states that are trending bluer (AZ, GA, TX) that should be targeted. Some red states might also have odd circumstances making them more competitive, like Kansas in 2014 - I'd say going for South Carolina might not be a bad idea, as we have a lot to gain from being able to veto a gerrymander there.

And speaking of, referenda to set up independent redistricting commissions should be a top priority in 2018. DailyKos Elections had a post about this a while back. Even in red states we can squeeze out a few more House seats.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2015/06...ng-Democrats-can-fight-back-at-the-ballot-box

So yeah, 2018. Big year. Aaron for DNC Chair.
You should know this is a very good post, thanks for sharing this. Is the VA state legislature gerrymandered to hell, since that seems like a good pickup.

Ernest

Banned
So what exactly would the National Guard even do? They aren't an investigative force, and they have no training in the procedures necessary to enforce the law without violating civil rights. What exactly does 45 think they're going to do? Go door to door saying, "Papers, please"?

Zereta

So what exactly would the National Guard even do? They aren't an investigative force, and they have no training in the procedures necessary to enforce the law without violating civil rights. What exactly does 45 think they're going to do? Go door to door saying, "Papers, please"?

Basically, right?

Seems like a move solely to scare people. And mission accomplished.

Apathy

Fuck McConnell, the dems know that stalling isn't going to change what happens so they should just let us get on with what we want without questioning it wtf.

Dierce

So even if this story was designed to discredit the media, how would that even work? I do believe that it was but I guess it also proves how incompetent these fascists really are. All that this will do is embolden liberals.

JP_

Banned
So even if this story was designed to discredit the media, how would that even work? I do believe that it was but I guess it also proves how incompetent these fascists really are. All that this will do is embolden liberals.

Their goal is a fervent and loyal base.

Bannon/Trump care little about converting the Disapprove column -- their goal is to further radicalize the people in the Approve column.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom