• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first Power Rangers (2017) review is here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I was 5 when it aired in 93. By the time I was like 8 or 9 I realize how dumb it is but by then Mighty Morphin was over, the movie came out in 95 I think so I was basically the perfect age to eat all that shit up. I remember thinking the White Ranger had the coolest looking helmet ever.

This nails it. Power Rangers is a completely irrelevant property in 2017.
Same for me. The original arc from the beginning to when the white ranger shows up was amazing if you were the right age at the right time. I also began to realize how dumb the show was right around when MMPR was ending. Climax of the whole experience was the green ranger stuff though.

ramparter

Banned
If only you could watch the movie with Twitch chat on the side.
Note to future self to watch that when it happens in 15-20 years.

Edit: Seriously this may be a million dollar idea. It's probably the next cinema experience. Pay to watch a just released movie at home with thousands chatting at the same time.

ramparter

Banned
Superheroes with giant fighting robots are about the furthest from irrelevant anything in Hollywood can be right now.

Yup quite the opposite than irrelevant. We are at a time that Power Ranges can afford to be a big budget ip targeting everyone not just kids. Power rangers is very close to Guardians of Galaxy or Fantastic Four.

Zen Aku

I will get a Power Rangers avatar if this movie ends up being better reviewed than Mass Effect Andromeda.

And I'm saying that as a big fan of both series since the beginning.

I'm not having a high hope for this movie but I want to be pleasantly surprise.

Sheroking

For all the smack talk this movie is receiving, I've always had a good-ish feeling about it. Wouldn't be surprised if it lands around 60% on the Tomatometer. I mean, I'm not betting the farm on it, but...

The supporting cast is good, nothing has been utterly cringy - which separates it from something like Fantastic Four. The subsequent trailers made it clear this wasn't some kind of gritty reboot, even if the internet insists that it is.

Sheroking

I will get a Power Rangers avatar if this movie ends up being better reviewed than Mass Effect Andromeda.

And I'm saying that as a big fan of both series since the beginning.

I'm not having a high hope for this movie but I want to be pleasantly surprise.

Define "better reviewed".

A game gets a 7/10 and that's a bad thing. A film gets a 70% RT and it's well received.

Arkeband

Banned
Nothing edgy about what I said. If my kids want to watch a show with fighting or ninjas, etc, there are a million different options which don't feature plastic monsters pantomiming in odd, totally awkward ways, as well as "martial arts" straight out of an elementary playground recess. This shit is just bad on all levels and insults their intelligence with plotlines, special effects, acting, and fighting more simplistic than even bad kids deserve.

EDIT: I will note that I am totally for them seeing this movie, since all the tackiness and poor quality seems to have been left behind. They are excited for it, and so we will probably catch it on a Saturday morning on the cheap.

Bro, let your kids be kids. I watched Beetleborgs for fuck's sake. Dad should not be the curator of what dumb TV shows they watch. If you want to be VerySmart you can teach them about how the show was made by reusing Japanese footage.

Other than that indiewire review (which is a complete trashing yet gave it a C-... :/) it seems like the movie is a fun little adventure.

I'm seeing it this weekend, I fully expect it to bomb (early forecasts are 30 Million) but for 2 hours I'll watch a fun movie.

Though I totally give them credit for
making Trini Lesbian, or at least questioning

DarkWish

Can't wait for this! Got invited to the premiere of the movie in LA on Wednesday and then coming back home Thursday to watch it with my wife and sister.

I've never told my son that something he's watching and enjoying is crap and garbage because that's ridiculous. He's a child. He can enjoy whatever he wants to enjoy. Demeaning his choice and going "lol this is so shitty" whenever he chooses to watch something like that is just enforcing my own standards onto my child. It's not letting him figure out what he likes and for why he enjoys it.

The only difference between Batman and Power Rangers is you think one looks stupid with the benefit of hindsight and the other doesn't.

I don't get this "good its not at all like the thing it's based on" attitude. Why would you want an adaptation of something to be nothing at all like what it's adapting? The whole point of making this a power rangers movie is to make it feel like power rangers. There is already a giant and ridiculous variety of costumed people punching stuff to watch at a cinema. Power rangers being over the top and silly isn't something to hide from or be embarrassed of.

An adaptation that's embarrassed of it's source material is pointless.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't get this "good its not at all like the thing it's based on" attitude. Why would you want an adaptation of something to be nothing at all like what it's adapting? The whole point of making this a power rangers movie is to make it feel like power rangers. There is already a giant and ridiculous variety of costumed people punching stuff to watch at a cinema. Power rangers being over the top and silly isn't something to hide from or be embarrassed of.

As awful as the Power Rangers shows actually are, I completely agree.

The correct course of action is to figure out what it was that people liked about the source material in the first place, then try to give the audience an adaptation that's as good as they remember the show being, even if it wasn't actually that good.

Sephzilla

Screenwriter John Gatins succeeds in effectively distilling the Power Rangers' sprawling mythology into a manageable scope and dialing back the campy humor and martial arts fixations that characterized the TV series and liberally informed the feature films. The current version instead emphasizes more realistic dramatic situations by imbuing each Ranger with some type of personal issue.

giphy.gif

Slayven

Like making superhero movies before Marvel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom