• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

goldenpp72

Mod Note - ALL 360 DEATH STORIES GO IN HERE

So it ran well for awhile, got mine back in december then all of a sudden bam, it died. I didn't have a service contract so I got to pay 130 bucks for repair, then another 50-60 for the 2 year contract whenever I get it back. The moral of the story? When buying non nintendo hardware always factor the extra money for a service plan.

Not happy right now, luckily my friends box is also here for a couple months so I can still get my dead rising love. However, this is strike 1 microsoft, don't be like sony and continue to **** me over (ps2)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Xbox360s are like dust in the wind...

...close my eyes, only for a moment, and the moment's gone
All my dreams, pass before my eyes, a curiosity
Dust in the wind, all they are is dust in the wind.
Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea..

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Someone please make a "Official My X360 is broken" thread. Tired of hearing people whining

VALIS

Mejilan said:
Look, it sucks, but we don't f-cking need a new thread for every 360 death.

Thank you. Yes, looks like the launch window units are unreliable as **** and everyone's is breaking down lately. But every occurance isn't thread worthy!

J-Rzez

And sticky that thread so ppl can easily see it... not everyone will search for such a thread... if they see it, they'll post in there...

Everyone that had their 360 crap out on them, even if it was launch day, should post in there as well, to get the thread going so more ppl will feel invited to post... or something... hehe...

You can't really yell at ppl over it... they just want to vent something they liked, or paid a lot of money for crapped out on them... they wanna vent...

Sorry to hear your 360 died... you're not alone to say the least... this maybe perhaps the most flawed hardware ever... (Not even the PS2 drives failing were this bad)

negitoro7

Any word on a newer generation of Xbox 360's that aren't as prone to malfunction as the launch window units? I'm gonna hold off until then.

Speevy

Banned
Mine stopped displaying color, so it might as well have been dead. My replacement has worked perfectly for 6 months.

*crosses fingers*

Chiggs

negitoro7 said:
Any word on a newer generation of Xbox 360's that aren't as prone to malfunction as the launch window units? I'm gonna hold off until then.

We're well past the launch window already. If you buy one now, you should be okay. Or you could just wait until they switch to 65nm in 2007.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
goldenpp72 said:
Mod Note - ALL 360 DEATH STORIES GO IN HERE

So it ran well for awhile, got mine back in december then all of a sudden bam, it died. I didn't have a service contract so I got to pay 130 bucks for repair, then another 50-60 for the 2 year contract whenever I get it back. The moral of the story? When buying non nintendo hardware always factor the extra money for a service plan.

Not happy right now, luckily my friends box is also here for a couple months so I can still get my dead rising love. However, this is strike 1 microsoft, don't be like sony and continue to **** me over (ps2)

Wow, I remember you telling me about your 360 goin crazy when we talked, but now it's finally dead huh?

I think mine's gonna die soon as well. Not because anything weird's been happening, but everyone's seems to be dying sooner or later. Got mine in december as well.

I never had any problems with my PS2 though. It has run perfectly for 4 years.

This should really be Microsoft's new ad campaign in Japan.

sanrokumaruat9.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
This should really be Microsoft's new ad campaign in Japan.

sanrokumaruat9.jpg

heh it's not hilarious on the surface, but then the 360s on the ground with the red rings of death sold it :lol

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Hajaz said:
the best solution for 3 red lights error:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYv6b7MndJk

worked for like 9 out of 10 people on xboxhacker.net

Do you know the reason for heating up the mainboard like that? Is it so certain connections re meld or something? Its an interesting fix but one should probably send the thing in to get replaced or repaired instead of opening up their 360 themselves

dakiparu

mine died a week ago (mfg date 12.01.2005). When I contacted MS customer care to have my console changed with a new working one, they told me they were experiencing continuous change requests for every Xbox 360 manufactured untill march 2006. They assured me the new one I will get, it's manufactured at least in may 2006. I am sure they told me the truth since 2 friends of mine had their boxes changed with 05.26.2006 models. I hope to get the new baby back at home ASAP! Anyway something must have changed in MS warranty service, since the first batch of broken X360s were replaced by refurbished ones while now they are sending totally new machines...

camel

Mine Died 2 weeks ago.

It was also kind enough to corrupt the profile when it first crashed. s on top of everything.. it looks like my saved games are gone no matter what. 100 hours of oblivion. gone.

my origional xbox did the same thing when i bought it at launch.. as did the ps2 a couple months after i bought it at launch. they just don't make hardware like they used too.

for the record. i took immaculate care of it. and it was in a very well ventalated place.

Sending a console in for reapir isn't the end of the world. its the risk you take while buying launch systems.. but man.. buy a memory card and back up your profile.. cause that was the worst part of it.

Hajaz

BlueTsunami said:
Do you know the reason for heating up the mainboard like that? Is it so certain connections re meld or something? Its an interesting fix but one should probably send the thing in to get replaced or repaired instead of opening up their 360 themselves

yeah, the reason is microcracks in the soldering.

here's the original thread where its documented:
http://www.xboxhacker.net/forums/index.php?topic=1193.0

the way i see it, if you dont have warany, you might aswell give this a try

Hajaz

you cant do it with a hairdryer or a paint removing gun though. you need a proper hot air gun thats capable of melting solder. read the entire xboxhacker thread before you start

Lo-Volt

In the time I had my first 360, it was one of the more enjoyable periods in recent gaming for me. It operated like a champ since I got it in February, but the January 2006-made system was having difficulty throughout July. Once it started showing DREs, I ran to Best Buy, since I bought a PRP with their chain (the stories here on the GAF scared me, frankly).

The good news is that Best Buy was rather helpful, as opposed to the early frustration I had when I had to call Microsoft's truly rancid customer service early in my 360's life; they heard the problem, saw my PRP, checked for the unit in the stock and I was out in under ten minutes. The bad news is that the PRP expired once it was used (!), which meant that those $50 spent on it had to be re-upped if I ever wanted the store to save me from the menace of Microsoft representatives. The 360 was replaced at the end of July, but Dead Rising am abandoned.

Mine was defective at launch. It basically would only start up about 50% of the time by pressing the power button. I put up with this for a week, until I got the Red Ring.

They sent me a replacement lickety split. That one's been working like a charm ever since.

Well my 360 has decided all of a sudden to start ruining my disks by burning a nice ring circle on them. I've lost Dead Rising now because of this. I know this was an issue brought up early on after launch but since it wasn't happening to me, I never really payed attention. Is there some way to stop this rom occuring or do I need to send in my 360 to Microsoft? Thx.

I'll post in both thread to multiply my chance for a response. :)

I've had my Xbox 360 for 5 months. When I turn it on, I think, "Is this going to be the day?". I think its a matter of when, not if, my 360 will break down. If it breaks down, I'll never get another 360.

TheWolf

Banned
mine died after a couple of months. i got an older one back for free a couple weeks later with a Hitachi drive when the one i sent it was a Samsung.

if it breaks again and i have to pay money to get it fixed, someone is getting killed.

Lo-Volt

Stoney Mason said:
Well my 360 has decided all of a sudden to start ruining my disks by burning a nice ring circle on them. I've lost Dead Rising now because of this. I know this was an issue brought up early on after launch but since it wasn't happening to me, I never really payed attention. Is there some way to stop this rom occuring or do I need to send in my 360 to Microsoft? Thx.

I'll post in both thread to multiply my chance for a response. :)

I called them because I thought that was happening to me, but all 360 DVDs have rings close to the center, apparently? I called Microsoft about this as suggested in a previous post. Short story short, they blamed me for it and wouldn't help me. 'Oh, the only way that could happen is if you moved it while it was spinning.'

Top Bottom