• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NAMCO-BANDAI, SEGA and others shifting focus towards Wii/DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to this nikkei article Sega, Namco-Bandai and Capcom are shifting their focus from PS3/PSP to DS/Wii (capcom's focus was the PS3??) due to low sales

BABELFISH'D
Game software major company such as バンダイナムコゲームス and Sega, relative importance of software development the SONY computer entertainment (for SCE) from is moving to Nintendo Co.. As for バンダイナムコ and Sega for Nintendo Co. which is sold in 2007 the quantity of software planning redoubling at preceding year ratio. As for SCE squeezing to the large-sized work which can anticipate hit, it advances development. As for number of shipments 3 of major companies which add カプコン for Nintendo Co. for SCE it is the prospect that it is reversed. The Nintendo Co. portable type game machine "ニンテンドー DS" and deferred type "Wii (ウィー)" vis-a-vis favorable demand, high functional machine "place t Shaun 3 of SCE (PS3)" it has been restrained. Software each company seeing the spread of the Nintendo Co. game machine, throwing the new work rapidly. On the one hand, high efficiency for PS3 of the merchandise as for the software is a tendency where production expense expands, cannot avoid becoming prudent.
"place t Shaun 3 of SCE (PS3)":lol

keep it clean boys

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm going to bed..by morning I expect at least 10 pages.

Make it happen GAF!

pilonv1

nintendohaha.gif

Christian

It's news for Bandai/Namco. It seemed like, no matter how poorly their games sold, they weren't giving up on PSP. I'm actually kinda surprised by this.

I remain skeptical that this will necessarily result in high quality games. Support is fantastic, attempts to make money isn't automatically as good.

Kafel

Banned
It's :

Sega and Bandai Namco are shifting ressources from psp and ps3 to ds and wii.
Capcom will do the same.

TheGreatDave said:
I remain skeptical that this will necessarily result in high quality games. Support is fantastic, attempts to make money isn't automatically as good.
yes, I expect mini-games and training games from sega and namco-bandai, hopefully capcom won't get this fever

Mmmkay said:
Welcome to the internet babelfish.
place t Shaun is a lot funnier than ZERUDA or METRO IDOPU LIME

TheGreatDave said:

Sega and Namco Bandai, but still the law of averages kinda favors that there will be some good stuff in there somewhere.

Capcom though ... they really don't make many bad games on any platform, gotta love them for that. They could have phoned it in with Zack & Wiki for instance, but didn't. More Capcom support for Wii would be welcome.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
so, you did make a thread about it. well, hopefully this means new IPs built from the ground up... and RE5 Wii :D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Don't really think this is unexpected. I imagine that E3 and TGS will be fairly telling.

doomed1 said:
so, you did make a thread about it. well, hopefully this means new IPs built from the ground up... and RE5 Wii :D
I didn't want anyone to steal my spotlight

Mejilan said:
Don't really think this is unexpected. I imagine that E3 and TGS will be fairly telling.
e3 is too soon, I think we'll see it at TGS

soundwave05 said:
Sega and Namco Bandai, but still the law of averages kinda favors that there will be some good stuff in there somewhere.

Capcom though ... they really don't make many bad games on any platform, gotta love them for that. They could have phoned it in with Zack & Wiki for instance, but didn't. More Capcom support for Wii would be welcome.

True, but I think everybody is hoping for a game on the level of Lost Planet or Dead Rising (in terms of polish, budget and style) for Wii, rather than a game which may be very good, but doesn't look amazingly different from the kind of things we expect.

Krowley

soundwave05 said:

Yeah, you can't expect a lot from namco these days and sega aren't what they used to be, but that would be true on any platform.

If they're doing it, everybody else in japan is probably doing it too. It's a sign of a general industry trend and it has to bring benefits in the end.

wsippel

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
True, but I think everybody is hoping for a game on the level of Lost Planet or Dead Rising (in terms of polish, budget and style) for Wii, rather than a game which may be very good, but doesn't look amazingly different from the kind of things we expect.
Christian Svensson hinted at unannounced hardcore games for Wii a few weeks ago.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Namco-Bandai, Sega, Capcom and SNK are upsetting me. I'm still waiting for my fighting games on the DS assholes!!!!!

TreIII

Whatever, when they start actually DOING some things that would be sound decisions, I'll actually start being happy.

For instance...Mega Man 9...how hard it would be to make this game on the DS, in all the classical fashion fitting such a title? ZXA is gravy, but it still is just a placeholder-continuance for what I really have wanted to see since Rockman's LAST milestone anniversary years ago!

And the fact that Sega hasn't done anything profound, such as release a new (and GOOD) Shinobi for the DS also is rather disturbing...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I dont see how this is surprising, last I checked both DS and Wii are the best selling system in japan so it's only natural they are going to get a lot of games from 3rd parties. I guess only people that are living in denial can see these as surprising news.

lordmrw

Error said:
I dont see how this is surprising, last I checked both DS and Wii are the best selling system in japan so it's only natural they are going to get a lot of games from 3rd parties. I guess only people that are living in denial can see these as surprising news.

This was pretty much to be expected. For all their talk of wanting to support everyone evenly, the reality is they would be killing themselves in japan by supporting the two losing platforms so much.

Vic said:
Namco-Bandai, Sega, Capcom and SNK are upsetting me. I'm still waiting for my fighting games on the DS assholes!!!!!
snk don't care about fighting games

buy dating/raping sims instead, now that I think about it, their latest DS games all involved raping at some kind, card fighters raped gamers and a fans expecting a sequel akin to the original, the witch game rapes common sense and the snk gals dating thing rapes the integrity of the characters

TreIII said:
For instance...Mega Man 9...how hard it would be to make this game on the DS, in all the classical fashion fitting such a title? ZXA is gravy, but it still is just a placeholder-continuance for what I really have wanted to see since Rockman's LAST milestone anniversary years ago!
everyone wants Megaman 9 and legends 3.... why do you keep torturing us capcom???

legend166

Yeah, unless you're being money hatted by MS or Sony, or you're making a FF game, it's just not viable for Japanese devs to put Japanese games on anything other than Wii.

Krowley

Error said:

Well it's not surprising, but there have been a lot of reports of developers that were hesitant to back the wii or thought it was going to eventually hit a wall. There seemed to be a lot of denial in the industry.

I'm surprised that it took this long to start getting these kinds of reports.. I'll admit that I was starting to get a little worried.

Angelus said:
Innovation.jpg

Thank goodness I have a PS3 and 360 to fall back on.:)
Yes because the Wii is that bad. I mean those graphics, they just make your eyes bleed!

We'll see what happens at the end of this gen. I wonder who'll have a bigger game library, and something for all the Wii haters to understand. You can't build a system seller overnight.

This Wii "fad" will continue going on strong for a long time. It'll eventually start declining near the end of the gen but that's the point. By the time the next consoles come out Nintendo can build on that userbase and game library as did PS1--->PS2 and xbox--->360.

Wii is just a milestone for Nintendo trying to become the biggest player again.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
..pakbeka.. said:
snk don't care about fighting games

buy dating/raping sims instead, now that I think about it, their latest DS games all involved raping at some kind, card fighters raped gamers and a fans expecting a sequel akin to the original, the witch game rapes common sense and the snk gals dating thing rapes the integrity of the characters

everyone wants Megaman 9 and legends 3.... why do you keep torturing us capcom???
There will be an avalanche of fighting games for the DS, but the question is when it will start to ****ing show itself?

_Angelus_

Banned
CrushDance said:
Yes because the Wii is that bad. I mean those graphics, they just make your eyes bleed!

We'll see what happens at the end of this gen. I wonder who'll have a bigger game library, and something for all the Wii haters to understand. You can't build a system seller overnight.

This Wii "fad" will continue going on strong for a long time. It'll eventually start declining near the end of the gen but that's the point. By the time the next consoles come out Nintendo can build on that userbase and game library as did PS1--->PS2 and xbox--->360.

Wii is just a milestone for Nintendo trying to become the biggest player again.

Hey if you like that type of software lineup more power to you. Again,thank god for Sony and Microsoft consoles.:)

All I have to say is: If Nintendo wins, we lose. The world will be full of minigames and non-games geared towards nongamers and they'll completely ignore the core gamer except for once or twice a year.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Angelus said:
Again,thank god for Sony and Microsoft consoles.:)

Oh, will you ****ing stop.

DarknessTear said:
All I have to say is: If Nintendo wins, we lose. The world will be full of minigames and non-games geared towards nongamers and they'll completely ignore the core gamer except for once or twice a year.

Obviously a joke post. No one is insane enough to actually believe such nonsense.

DarknessTear said:

Yeah because that really happened on the DS :lol

I really wish they'd make a new 2D Mario, or a new Contra, or some good Castlevania games, or a good Zelda for the DS instead of all these Brain Training games. And would it kill a developer to make an RPG for the DS? Like a Dragon Quest or a Final Fantasy, maybe?

Damn, at least give us a Mario Kart DS or something.

mj1108

DarknessTear said:

More bitter tears.

Cry baby...cry those bitter fanboy tears.

The world was better wasn't it when Nintendo was sidelined and people like you would mock them saying they were "out of touch" and "had no chance".....

DarknessTear said:
That is not true. I think it could very well be argued that Nintendo are derailing the disaster train of the videogame industry. They are forcefully shaking things up. Things will still progress the same way they did between SNES and PS2 eras, but they will progress towards those ends much slower and will progress towards different methods of gameplay much quicker right now. And then maybe that will change again in 1 or 2 generations.

Angelus said:
Hey if you like that type of software lineup more power to you. Again,thank god for Sony and Microsoft consoles.:)
What software lineup?

PS3 has nothing right now it just came out 6 months ago. It won't even start picking up till October or so and it will catch up quick especially with the price drop that is basically guaranteed.

Wii same situation as the PS3. Only difference are that dev's are pushing out games at a quick rate because they didn't think it would take off. As anyone can see quality titles are starting to come in as dev's are starting to put more time and resources into the games for higher sales.

360 is the only system that is ahead of all of them in terms of software and userbase right now. And it should be since it's been out longest.

But hey everyone has their own choices anyway. Wii will be the most demanding console for consumers for a very long time.

DarknessTear said:
:lol lots of people got hooked on that one.

soundwave05 said:
Street Fighter 2 + 3 on the DS already please. PSP is dead to me for fighters, I just can't stand that d-pad anymore.

Now that you mention this i've tried alpha 3 for the psp of my brother who also loves fighter's and it really stinks for these type of games. That damn dpad. Still great system if you use the analog pad that is.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom