• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House Intel Panel hearing on Russian involvement (3/20, 10am ET, livestream)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Declined, or maybe (and more likely) not invited.
We don't even know if they can decline a meeting like this without good reason.

jstripes

Banned
My favourite fantasy scenario for this is that the IC has serious dirt on Trump, they're about to make a move on him, he gets wind of it and quietly flees the country at night with Bannon, destination unknown.

Unlikely, but wouldn't that make for some good political intrigue?

Declined, or maybe (and more likely) not invited.
We don't even know if they can decline a meeting like this without good reason.

Exactly.

If they didn't decline then they weren't invited and if they weren't invited then... fuck. It would be pretty strange for them to be excluded.

Slime

Banned
My favourite fantasy scenario for this is that the IC has serious dirt on Trump, they're about to make a move on him, he gets wind of it and quietly flees the country at night with Bannon, destination unknown.

Unlikely, but wouldn't that make for some good political intrigue?

Maybe that's why he spends so much time in Florida:

IBy4Fr2.jpg

The Russian getaway sub is on standby to whisk him away to international waters!

~Kinggi~

Banned
I doubt this is gonna have anything of real substance to it involving connections to Trump. That type of shit is way too serious to have some public hearing without making moves. This will probably just be about Russian interference in the election or something.

I doubt this is gonna have anything of real substance to it involving connections to Trump. That type of shit is way too serious to have some public hearing without making moves. This will probably just be about Russian interference in the election or something.

Well yeah, thats literally what its about.

Maybe that's why he spends so much time in Florida:

The Russian getaway sub is on standby to whisk him away to international waters!

Had no idea it was located there. At least when Climate Change starts rising sea levels, that piece of shit will be one of the first things swallowed up.

Seventy70

I honestly would not be surprised if the GOP looked at the US under Obama and began thinking "we can't let *insert minority slur* take over our country. We need to take our country back!" Cue Russia, who cracked into both the DNC and RNC but only released what they learned from the DNC.

They first reached out to Trump, then began trickling into members of the GOP and Trump's team. Lord knows how many may truly be compromised. Everyone on Trump's cabinet? Possibly. Half of the Congressional GOP at least?
It also starts to make even more sense when you put it in context. All this time, people have been wondering why people like Ted Cruz, who Trump absolutely eviscerated, eventually came back to his side. Sure, some of it is just so they can use him, but I wouldn't be surprised if Russia bribed/blackmailed them. Cruz came out with the "vote with your conscience" and then completely flipped. That doesn't make sense even for a slime ball like Cruz.

Also, another thing is the stuff that leaked out about him allegedly cheating on his wife... I wonder if that was the Russians

The idea that Schumer and Warner were present but Burr an McConnell weren't is nuts. I actually had to track down a second source on who attended because it seems to crazy.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politic...nators-amid-questions-about-trump-russia-ties

So, yeah... that shit's crazy. I am wracking my brain for reasons why McConnell and Burr would decline an invitation. Can't think of one right now.
A) Declined
or
B) Not invited
I'm going with A. McConnell is the next most powerful person in US government after Trump. Even more than that wet noodle of a speaker. It's ludicrous to think that McConnell doesn't know. He knows whats in there, and knows the whole deal. He just doesn't want to be anywhere near it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They probably declined the invitation to make whatever comes out of this feel partisan.

A) Declined
or
B) Not invited
I'm going with A. McConnell is the next most powerful person in US government after Trump. Even more than that wet noodle of a speaker. It's ludicrous to think that McConnell doesn't know. He knows whats in there, and knows the whole deal. He just doesn't want to be anywhere near it.

Why would McConnell know? I think he might have a general idea, but there is no way that he knows the full extent of any ongoing investigations. Even in our currently fucked political climate, Congress doesn't get free access to the FBI's information.

Do yourself a favor and don't waste time watching this. The people who would know anything important are not allowed to blab sensitive material at a public hearing.

Do yourself a favor and don't waste time watching this. The people who would know anything important are not allowed to blab sensitive material at a public hearing.

Well, yeah it's not going to be the climax of A Few Good Men or anything like that, but it will be worth watching. It's going to be about the details of what is and isn't said. There will be a lot of positioning and posturing mostly, but if there is anything to the allegations swirling around Trump, it will push the ball forward a bit.

The questions we see will be more about setting up future inquiries than they will be about immediately revealing massive truths. We will also get a pretty good feel for where the various committee members are aligned.

Seventy70

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
My guess is he knows what Nunes knows. But as we found out, Nunes knows very little.

I don't understand his tweet, is he saying that the story that there is no evidence that the POTUS and Russia colluded is Fake News? Doesn't that mean that there is evidence then? I'm so easily confused by his tweets.

Zushin

I don't understand his tweet, is he saying that the story that there is no evidence that the POTUS and Russia collaborated is Fake News? Doesn't that mean that there is evidence then? I'm so easily confused by his tweets.

That's how I read them too but I'm sure that's not what he meant >.<

Look who's up:

Even if it turns out to be nothing, I do love how shaken he gets by this shit. Also, the man who goes 'FAKE NEWS!' a whole bunch is suddenly citing Jake Tapper?

I know, I know, it's to try and appeal to credibility, but it's so damned stunning in its brazen cynicism.

pestul

I want the dirt to be aired, but how does everyone predict Trump would respond? I have this sinking feeling he'd try to paint it all as an IC coup and incite violence. This mofo has the military in his back pocket too.

Seventy70

Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything big at all from this. Keep in mind that there's another hearing for senate on the 30th. I doubt they would air everything out right now.

Without a camera to show trumps face as he tweets I no longer guess what it means. He could be smirking, as he pretends to sweat. A troll of the press knowing in four hours he will tweet about the nothing hearing because Comey isn't going to do more than say he can't comment.

Or he could be white lipped and stressed out which is what most people seem to be assuming. That'd be nice but it seems a bit too easy a theory.

One thing is for sure, anyone who is dismissing this as just crackpot theory like birtherism is really just putting their head in the sky. I won't be a dreamer and say it's going to lead to impeachment or Trump stepping down, but key GOP members being excluded from IC meetings mixed with the seemingly endless amount of Russia connections Trump and his people, something big is goinfg on behind the scenes. The question now is whether we'll ever get the full picture

Yeah I mean just look at Gorka
Is he a neo-Nazi or only maybe a neo-Nazi?

it's so easy to hire someone who is not maybe a neo-nazi why pick gorka?

And this logic goes for Russia. It's easy to pick people to be closest to trump that have absolutely no connection to Russia or Ukraine, ever, in fact since the election meddling became common knowledge it would be advisable to avoid Russian connections but he can't seem to stop.

Chumly

I think the problem is going to be that their is no direct evidence that there was actual collusion. Just circumstantial. That's not enough to go on so it's just going to be no evidence. Putin is smart and he is not going to leave a paper trail. It's all going to be indirect help.

ivajz

It could be a distraction from his Supreme Court nominee confirmation hearing as well. But we also tend to give him the benefit of playing 11th dimensional chess, when he barely knows how the world works. So who the heck knows.

Chumly

I will say that his tweet specifically says POTUS which leaves the possibility that someone like Flynn is still guilty...... if it was confirmed that nobody in is campaign did anything I think he would have mentioned it

pestul

I think the problem is going to be that their is no direct evidence that there was actual collusion. Just circumstantial. That's not enough to go on so it's just going to be no evidence. Putin is smart and he is not going to leave a paper trail. It's all going to be indirect help.
Putin is in a place where he doesn't even have to be careful. He doesn't give a shit. He completely controls his own media and anything outside of that is just lies.

I will say that his tweet specifically says POTUS which leaves the possibility that someone like Flynn is still guilty...... if it was confirmed that nobody in is campaign did anything I think he would have mentioned it

And if Flynn is like guilty he will testify against others for a deal or immunity.

Only need to catch one.

Chumly

And if Flynn is like guilty he will testify against others for a deal or immunity.

Only need to catch one.
I wouldn't be surprised if Flynn acted alone in all seriousness. Flynn has obviously be obsessed about Russia for a while with the speaking payment crap coming out. So it's going to be flynn trying to influence trump instead of trump acting as the mastermind.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Will be nice for one sure thing that will be no one wire tapped Trump Tower.

Who the hell is Clapper? Is that supposed to be Tapper? Is it supposed to be an insult or something? I don't get it

He is the former United States Director of National Intelligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom