• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparantly kotick tried to make a funny.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
http://kotaku.com/5331849/when-an-activision-boss-jokes-about-raising-game-prices

Activision CEO Bobby Kotick is taking his daily bruising from gamers, this time for telling someone he'd raise video game prices if he could. But there's a little more to the story.

Kotick made the comment during a conference call between Activision Blizzard executives and financial analysts yesterday to discuss the company's performance from April through June.

Kotick was quoted as telling an analyst that "I would raise the prices even further," a line that was interpreted to mean that he's ready to jack up game prices. (Destructoid provided Kotick a forked tongue for this one.)

What hasn't been as clear is what Kotick was replying to and the tone in which he offered his comment.

The question Kotick fielded involved the price of peripheral-bundled games like Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk Ride. It came from analyst Tony Gikas, according to a transcript of the call: "... if you don't mind, just your comfort level regarding pricing of some of your new games that have some expensive controllers and any feedback that you had from retail as we move through the holidays."

Company CEO Mike Griffith first fielded the price question, saying: "We've had for all of our launch titles in the back half of this year, some of which contain peripherals, as you point out, very strong retailer acceptance and support for all parts of our plan, including our merchandising plans, our marketing programs, and our price points."

Kotick responded, prompting laughter, with: "And Tony, you know if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further."

I've asked Activision representatives to clarify Kotick's statement, to specify what price the company feels is ideal for games and what price Kotick would like to raise peripheral-based games to. I've not heard back yet, but if I do, I'll update the post.

:lol

Nice joke, everyone hates you even more now

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I guess the humor is sort of like when somebody (like a waiter) asks you if you need anything, you respond with "a million dollars?"

You laugh because it's unrealistic. But you still wish you had it.

The difference here is, Kotick is in a position of power within the game industry. So it's not that unrealistic.

freddy

Banned
Oh, a joke. How cute..

*dead silence*

Btw, how is this the same as the other thread? The first one is a transcript of a conference call. This one is damage control over the reaction to the the transcipt by Activision and the media that fellates them.

actually, a joke about making more money in the finance world makes people laugh with fake laughter many times. it could be either way, this is just damage control probably.

Barakov

Regardless, it was a stupid thing to say. Especially, given how he said that they wanted to "exploit" their franchises on a yearly basis. And sometimes more than once a year in Guitar Hero's case.

Its still not really a joke though is it? Yeah he's laughing while saying it, indicating that he won't be doing that, but its still his intention that he voiced out loud if he could get away with it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Deja vu from the other thread.
middle-finger.jpg

DMeisterJ

Banned
Bull-shit.

Look at the prices of the games. He was telling the truth, and laughing, because we all will be buying MW2.

Makes sense that it would have been originally framed as a joke since it would've been dumb to be serious in public about such intentions. Still not a smart thing to say coming from the company that sells people on high-priced game packages...there's already a lot of skepticism coming from a lot of corners.

Top Bottom