• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Scullibundo said:
Ah! I tried to right click > save those brushes, but it kept coming up as an html document.
When saving the file, click on any of the brushes then type a different name. Go to the containing folder and rename the file <insert filename here>.abr and it should automatically turn into a brush file.

sammy said:
exploring Europa:
spawning.jpg
:O

Halycon said:
When saving the file, click on any of the brushes then type a different name. Go to the containing folder and rename the file <insert filename here>.abr and it should automatically turn into a brush file.

Cheers big ears.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
HOLY SHIT at the explosion of awesome, fantastic stuff guys (and thanks for the brushes!)

Not too much for me, Im doing a commission for somebody here, so I'll show it when its done.

But my site finally got a facelift, that was about due

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
radiantdreamer said:
At full force etc etc.

Hey radiant, are you still doing those plastic model photoshops?

sammy

i was able to widdle down the file size substantially, so let me know what you guys think.

right click save
brushes_sammy.abr

a collection of brushes you can add to the defaults in photoshop --- some throwaways, textures, a few keepers, and some foliage stamps.
I get a lot done with the brushes that i created from my scanned markers. so let me know if they work out :]

sammy said:
i was able to widdle down the file size substantially, so let me know what you guys think.

right click save
brushes_sammy.abr

a collection of brushes you can add to the defaults in photoshop --- some throwaways, textures, a few keepers, and some foliage stamps.
I get a lot done with the brushes that i created from my scanned markers. so let me know if they work out :]

Oh, nice! There's some really useful stuff in there. I don't really get the 'tek' stuff, but the chainmail is pretty cool, and the foliage is especially useful. I used a couple of 'em in this one:

island%20shore.jpg

Also some figures from today:

figures10-08.jpg

Other stuff is in progress.

Thanks for sharing everybody. There's some really awesome stuff in here.

sammy said:

right click save
brushes_sammy.abr

Thanks. I'm a noob with these things; I assume I just drop them in the brushes folder?

Pai Pai Master said:
Thanks. I'm a noob with these things; I assume I just drop them in the brushes folder?

If you drag them into photoshop (OSX) it'll automatically append them to the current set. Otherwise you have to load them. Click on the brush dropdown menu, then the little triangle on the right side. In that huge list you'll see "Load Brushes". Click that, locate the file, and away you go.

ZiZ

everything in this thread is so amazing.

I've tried drawing but I always get bored halfway through. the closest I've gotten to a complete work are the doodles I draw to stay awake in lectures.

Exhibit A:

ZiZ_VS_Gum.png

I've never even tried coloring.

Dali

Manabanana said:
Erscheinung.jpg

Getting the hang of Photoshop.
Looks good. The perspective on the piano seems off. Also the action and hammers look like they could use more detail, but if the angle on the piano were fixed it probably wouldn't be very visible anyway.

Good god, Some of you are amazing! Truly inspirational

Does anybody know of forums/websites dedicated to threads like this? apart from DA please.

OchreHand

I've been so busy moving to a new apartment but I managed to do a couple more images. So I'd like to share!

The first one was for pleasure (and a homage to a painter i like).. and the second one was for UCLA magazine. I figured it's okay to post this since the issue is out. It was done for a story called "Future of Freedom" for their October issue.

jeremy_deveraturda_funlaborcom_wanderer.jpg

jeremy_deveraturda_funlaborcom_freedom.jpg

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Dreweyes said:
Post your artwork already!
Even if it's incomplete, post it for some suggestions and criticism!

Here's a painting I did a few months back I named "Primal Curse":

l_82bf8ba9c7cbc1536b6d3d981a8b3731.jpg

Is that Matt from Where The Hell Is Matt ? :lol There's totally a clip where he's dancing against a light so all you can see is a silhouette!

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
the fingers on his left hand look a slightly amiss. the two lower ones look too small, imo.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Ive been stuck in crunch like mode lately at work, so when I get back home Ive been slacking (plus Mother 3 FTW). Hopefully soon I'll have some new stuff.

Really good stuff here though, glad to see other people posting as well :)

Xun said:
Here's a WIP based on this screenshot from MGS4.

oldsnake-2.jpg

Thoughts?

The chin is also off. The wrinkle is too round. The jaw is off, it's to long and sharp in the back part. It needs to hook up with th ear.

The bandanna doesn't look like it's wrapped around correctly, especially he back end. The shading is also making his head look deceptively rectangular. His face seems to be following the same problem.

At the angle you have the eyes, mouth, and nose, you should be able to see more of the face on the other side. The eyes, mouth and nose seem to be three quarter view, while the face looks more like a profile view.

The right hand, the flesh area off the pinky looks too fleshy. The thumb looks disjointed. Watch out for the forshortening depth of the trigger finger. The wrist area looks a slight bit disjointed. Remove that weird round little 'tuck' at the bottom of the wrist, shrink the wrist a little, and add a small clothing crease instead.

The left hand, last two fingers are a bit too short. The wrist looks a little too thick.

Xun

Thanks Radiantdreamer.

Anyway, here's a new piece I've been working on... which I think is pretty much finished.

sea0002-1.jpg

Thoughts?

Oh and thanks for the brushes Sammy!

Prax

^ I like the water in that one.. and the eerily "sacred" crashing of the boat. XD

You guys might have seen these if you wandered into the "future Zelda" thread yesterday, but I figured I should throw these here anyway:
An older Link in semi-Wind Waker style (legs too proportionate. lol)
ww_youthlink.jpg
ww_youthlink2.jpg
ww_youthlink3.jpg

Here's a more Wind Waker-y one and "steam punk"-y one (whatever steampunk is.. lol). I accidentally proportioned Link's legs wrong again when I made it:
ww_youthlink4.jpg
ww_steampunk.jpg

And here's an Earthbound one!:
eb_ufosss.jpg

Okay, and my recent original stuffs while I'm at it!
Anyone watch Macross Frontier? This coloured doodle was inspired by it.. I watched the show for the love triangles... unfortunately. :(
hei-nor-faf-ayna_c.jpg

I was playing around with "glowy" effects.
Astral Empress
fafnr_c2.jpg

Lunar Empress
noroi_c4.jpg

Pearl Empress
sairah_c2.jpg

Shadow Empress
udeiss_c.jpg

I also have an Intuos now!! I haven't even used it differently from a Wacom yet.. but maybe soon!!!

Mdk7

DM_Uselink said:
Some insanely awesome stuff in here, but this is probably the one i like best.
I dig so much the look of this guy!
If only Ninja Blade's character would look like this! :lol

Anyway, some of my stuff (even if i'm almost ashamed to post it in here, judging how talented you all are!)...

Barkle__Tingle__s_dog_by_mdk7.png

Barkle, aka Tingle's Dog. Done with Photoshop (my first try ever!)

Locoroco_by_mdk7.png

Locoroco, 100% made with Microsoft Paint and mouse only

Majora__s_Moon_by_mdk7.png

Majora's moon, 100% made with Microsoft Paint and mouse only... Stuff created for a friend's project (http://www.tehgalaxy.com/).

Xun said:
Just finished these two.

Thoughts?

I quite like the first one. Very good atmosphere and nice back lighting. I noticed there is quite a difference in line/paint style between the first and second paintings. It's awesome that you're experimenting with different styles!

Watch out that you don't let your brushes take control. The different brushes should be used for texture. Specifically, in the first painting, the brush you are using is causing his right thumb and hand to appear very fuzzy. You might want to add definition to it using a sharper brush, so that it appears more consistent with his left hand.

In the first painting, there seems to be some definition for the face, but I can't tell if he's looking upwards, or if he's looking downwards or anything. You might need a little more highlight in there.

The second one is excellent. I really love how the thick line totally defines the style. Consider using a solid brush instead of a textured brush for the chin, or the glasses. It will flatten the image more, but will make his face a lot more bolder.

Wark

OchreHand said:
The first one was for pleasure (and a homage to a painter i like).. and the second one was for UCLA magazine. I figured it's okay to post this since the issue is out. It was done for a story called "Future of Freedom" for their October issue.

jeremy_deveraturda_funlaborcom_wanderer.jpg

I love it. Who was the artist you were paying homage to?

Raging Spaniard

my name is ed said:
This is the newest one Ive been working on
I still need to change a few things but I think it looks good

So, voting McCain rite? ;) Nice work!

Things for me have been hectic at work (working on two games at once = not much energy left at home) but Im working on something for the Street Fighter cover contest, so I'll put progress up when I have something more than a thumbnail.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
wow sick drawings of link in wind waker style and love the jimmy page art with the glorious les paul and the bow. Awesome thread.

Zyzyxxz

hey guys are there any recommended stores or sites for painting supplies?

I primarily wanna get into oil paints

Here are some sketches from a couple weeks ago. I used pen and ink for the outlines, and I color them in with Prisma Color markers. Then I add a simple background using PhotoImpact Pro. Pretty basic, but I had fun with them:
2s0e5tv.jpg

27x2ftg.jpg

Poorly colored, but I kind of like how this Link turned out:
263zy14.jpg

I used PhotoImpact Pro to add the oilpaint effect. I need Photoshop...
xli92v.jpg

Here's one that I liked, but resizing it made it all blurry. I'll reupload it with color someday, maybe once I get Photoshop. I call it, Goofy Ganondorf:
118hob7.jpg

Prax said:
*Link pics*
I love you. Keep posting more in the Zelda thread, please!

FCMaxi

Here's my digital painting of Iron Man I created for a class assignment. This was my first time painting in photoshop so I'm pretty please with the end result. All done by mouse and used a reference picture

Iron_Man_Digital_Painting_by_FCMaxi.png

FCMaxi

Manabanana said:
Whoa, nice. First try with Photoshop? How long did it take?

Thanks. I've been using PS for a few years now but this was my first try at painting. 10-11 hrs it took me to finish.

OchreHand

Wark said:
I love it. Who was the artist you were paying homage to?

Hi Wark! Thanks for checking it out...so sorry for the late response. (Moving to a new place ,,,so tedious) That one was inspired by Joseph Vernet who did awesome&dramatic maritime scenes.

Also i tried installing sammy's brushes but they don't work in Photoshop 7. :< I really need to get fundage for CS 3 or 4....

Top Bottom