• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Izick

Yeah, that's kind of awful. I'm not sure why they weren't able to just "move" their Wii VC library to WiiU, it's basically starting from scratch. On the bright side you can use "Wii mode" and access the Wii store, but then, I already own a Wii.

What a strange move. Oh well, at least when I buy a Wii U I'll finally be able to play Earthbound for real. That's something to be excited about!

Doesn't it blow your mind when people say "well, I'm done with this generation!" these days? Like... well, I'm -not- done with NES games, lol.

That's more an issue of quality and homogeneity than anything else.

When you miss an NES game, there's a decent chance you've missed a unique experience. When you miss a 7th gen game, there's a decent chance it's a reanimated corpse.

Chucker

How could I forget Guardian Heroes. That's a great one. Phantom Breaker is okay. And then there's Scott Pilgrim. Those games don't really capture the feel of the classics, though. I haven't ever played any RCR games, but I thought they were more like Double Dragon style, with no leveling or gaining exp or anything.

They're an odd mix. You can level by buying items.

I really wish we got a Data East Classics Volume 2 because the one that came out is missing lots of good obscure arcade games that never received home ports.

Taito Legends 2 is great value for the money.

Izick

I kind of just want to start playing through the SEGA consoles libraries backwards until I reach the Genesis. Dreamcast's library first, then by the time I reach the Genesis, who knows how many games I'll have played? Or maybe do that in the reverse order; start with Genesis and go to the Dreamcast.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I really wish we got a Data East Classics Volume 2 because the one that came out is missing lots of good obscure arcade games that never received home ports.

Taito Legends 2 is great value for the money.

I thought Taito Legends 2 (the US PS2 release) was awful. Very poor emulation of the games that made me think that I actually didn't like Taito games. I remember Elevator Action Returns, in particular, having a ton of slowdown...

I'd also like to de-recommend any SNK compilations. They're pretty much all fucked up for one reason or another. I think the worst offender is SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1, which drops frames in all of the games... and even the menu doesn't run properly. PASSSETTIC!!

I think the only compilations I'd recommend would be Mega Man X Collection for the PS2 (where I think it's debatable whether or not X1-X3 are the better versions, and X5 is definitely the best version) and Street Fighter Alpha Anthology.

There are others that are alright, but those are the ones that arguably offered the best versions of the games within.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Posting these here too to show XRGB output quality. Some direct feed shots via RGB.

F2p.png

G2p.png

H2p.png

I2p.png

J2p.png

K2p.png

I would not recommend Taito Legends 2 (PS2) release either. I picked it up a month or two back and it is really crummy.

Sure, TL2 is missing 240p support, but other than that, what's so bad about it? For the price you can't go wrong IMO.

It's much better emulation that the Genesis compilation everyone else is recommending!

Yes Boss!

Sure, TL2 is missing 240p support, but other than that, what's so bad about it? For the price you can't go wrong IMO.

It's much better emulation that the Genesis compilation everyone else is recommending!

It is probably that. Or the no tate options. I'm also sending it through the upscaler and it does not play nice. Probably look decent on a regular CRT.

All said, I got it for the convenience of playing some of my Saturn games on PS2 and they just look worse. Still keeping it for other games I don't own, like Gekerindin.

Good things going for it: you can make a game playlist, map buttons. And it has a shockingly large amount of titles for the $10-ish price.

I don't think I've found any good compilation discs. Like you said, Genesis collection sucks. And my Wii Data East kinda plays back poorly.

The PSP Konami collections that cover individual franchiches are great though.

Taito Legends 2 is fantastic, definitely get it... but yeah, it is quite disappointing that it has no tate mode support.

Also, I see that Midway arcade treasures 2 was mentioned, but the first one is the best! It's got so many great games on it...

Oh shit, I forgot about the lack of Tate options. That does suck :/

There's also slowdown in some titles in the PS2 version, such as Dungeon/Arabian Magic (I think it was Dungeon Magic that was worse?). I don't know if the arcade or Europe-only Xbox release are similar, but on PS2 that game is SLOW. The Xbox/PC version has a few different games from the PS2 version, though, so there is that to make you want both releases... oh, and apparently the European Xbox release is region-free. I think it also might have 3-4 player support for the 4-player games? On PS2 the collection is, unfortunately, two player only.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
The Wii SNK Classics version is acceptable. The PS2 one is terrible though - everything runs much slower than they should. The Taito Classics Vol. 2 was pretty decent I thought, though I remember there being small bits of glitchiness on certain games. But the collection of fantastic games on there is incredible, especially for the price.

The Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection is good for the Genesis and SMS games, but some of the unlockable arcade emulations are awful. Space Harrier in particular is just all wrong, it's like someone never bothered to test it to see how it should run or sound.

Honestly I've never encountered a compilation that was entirely perfect. Even the Japanese Sega Ages collections, with their multiple of screen options, hav sound issues, particularly noticeable in Genesis games. But they're usually worth the price for the quantity of games you get.

IrishNinja

Taito 1 has Rastan, right? it's worth it just for that. also, what's Tate mode?

Also, I see that Midway arcade treasures 2 was mentioned, but the first one is the best! It's got so many great games on it...

i just picked up the first version, and it's cool too but man 2 has all the games id play in the arcade in the day! they both look great by me, no idea if 3 is worth it or not though.

RM8

Guys, Irem Arcade Hits (downloadable PC version) is $3.75 right now on Amazon. Of course I can't buy it from Mexico :mad: UGH, I hate Amazon.

I played a few hours of Light Crusader on Genesis today that I got in the Sega Collection. Pretty cool game made by Treasure, but the "puzzles" where you have to push blocks around suck. The controls and the camera angle just do not work well for it. I died once and lost small bit of progress and don't want to have to redo a couple of particularly annoying rooms.

i just picked up the first version, and it's cool too but man 2 has all the games id play in the arcade in the day! they both look great by me, no idea if 3 is worth it or not though.
Really? MAT1 has Midway and Williams' greatest classics on it. MAT2 has... uh, some stuff from the late '80s to early '90s. Almost none of them are anywhere near as memorable as the stuff from the first MAT, from Defender, Robotron, and Sinistar to Smash TV... as for the second one though... sure, it has some pretty good games in it, but it's the second tier titles, as far as Midway/Williams history are concerned.

RM8

Okay, I was able to purchase Irem Arcade Hits anyway and I'm very impressed. The emulation is great, it has plenty of options (dem scanlines, controller support, difficulty and credits, etc.) and the game selection is quite nice actually including Ninja Spirit, Vigilante, Legend of Hero Tonma and Kung-Fu Master. I'm currently playing Superior Soldiers which is a pretty competent Street Fighter clone. I'm pleased with my purchase :p

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The Wii SNK Classics version is acceptable. The PS2 one is terrible though - everything runs much slower than they should. The Taito Classics Vol. 2 was pretty decent I thought, though I remember there being small bits of glitchiness on certain games. But the collection of fantastic games on there is incredible, especially for the price.

The Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection is good for the Genesis and SMS games, but some of the unlockable arcade emulations are awful. Space Harrier in particular is just all wrong, it's like someone never bothered to test it to see how it should run or sound.

Honestly I've never encountered a compilation that was entirely perfect. Even the Japanese Sega Ages collections, with their multiple of screen options, hav sound issues, particularly noticeable in Genesis games. But they're usually worth the price for the quantity of games you get.

Yeah, Wii version of SNK Classics is waaaaay better. Sound glitches in certain games, and the hitflashes are missing because Ninty doesn't want any kids having seizures, but uh... it's passable.

IrishNinja

Guys, Irem Arcade Hits (downloadable PC version) is $3.75 right now on Amazon. Of course I can't buy it from Mexico :mad: UGH, I hate Amazon.

my buddy just got this one, it's so awesome! there's some definite SNK like stuff here as well, wish it'dve gotten a disc release but i'll take it where i can get it.

Really? MAT1 has Midway and Williams' greatest classics on it. MAT2 has... uh, some stuff from the late '80s to early '90s. Almost none of them are anywhere near as memorable as the stuff from the first MAT, from Defender, Robotron, and Sinistar to Smash TV... as for the second one though... sure, it has some pretty good games in it, but it's the second tier titles, as far as Midway/Williams history are concerned.

well, here's a breakdown...i'll bold the ones i recall digging

720° 1986
Blaster 1983
Bubbles 1983
Defender 1980
Defender II aka StarGate 1981
Gauntlet 1985
Joust
Joust 2: Survival of the Fittest 1986
Klax 1989
Marble Madness 1984
Paperboy 1984
Rampage
Rampart 1990
RoadBlasters 1987
Robotron: 2084 1982
Root Beer Tapper 1984
Satan's Hollow 1982
Sinistar 1982
Smash TV 1990
SPLAT! 1982
Spy Hunter 1983
Super Sprint 1986
Toobin' 1988
Vindicators 1988
Reception

granted, i know most of the names & haven't replayed them in a bit so feel free to point out your favorites. now look at this one for volume 2:

A.P.B.
Arch Rivals
Championship Sprint
Cyberball 2072
Gauntlet II
Hard Drivin'
Kozmik Krooz'r
Mortal Kombat II
Mortal Kombat 3
NARC
Pit-Fighter

Primal Rage
Rampage World Tour
Spy Hunter II
Timber
Total Carnage
Wacko
Wizard of Wor
Xenophobe
Xybots

fewer titles, sure, but i prolly play stuff like NARC more than most of what's on vol 1, and the other bolded ones were big during my teen arcade years with my friends, so the disc was like a go-to for us during the PS2 era. either way, great games all around and you can get both for a song these days.

my buddy just got this one, it's so awesome! there's some definite SNK like stuff here as well, wish it'dve gotten a disc release but i'll take it where i can get it.

well, here's a breakdown...i'll bold the ones i recall digging

granted, i know most of the names & haven't replayed them in a bit so feel free to point out your favorites. now look at this one for volume 2:

fewer titles, sure, but i prolly play stuff like NARC more than most of what's on vol 1, and the other bolded ones were big during my teen arcade years with my friends, so the disc was like a go-to for us during the PS2 era. either way, great games all around and you can get both for a song these days.

Defender and Robotron are two of the greatest games ever made. Nothing else in either collection comes remotely close. Defender was Eugene Jarvis's first videogame, and it's one of those near-unmatched classics... and as for Robotron, I do like some of the games that came later in that genre more (such as Smash TV, or Llamatron), but it's the original, and an incredibly influential game, eventually. And beyond that, the first collection has far more great games. There's a reason that the games in the first collection were mostly ones that had been re-released in Midway/Williams' various 5th gen collections, while the ones in MAT2 hadn't been seen since their original console ports -- those games are not nearly on the same level in success or popularity. Defender, Defender 2, Joust (not a game I've ever loved, but I know it's a popular classic), Sinistar (same), Bubbles (good game!), Smash TV (exceptional game!), Robotron 2084, Rampart (fantastic game), Roadblasters, Marble Madness (such a great game), etc... those are true classics.

Now, there are some games from the first collection that weren't as well known, such as Satan's Hollow or Blaster, and maybe also Vindicators, but those games still are better than most anything from MAT2... I bought MAT1 and MAT3 new when they came out, but skipped MAT2. Other than Total Carnage, it didn't have any games in it I actually really wanted to play (well, Hard Drivin', but that doesn't work well away from arcades, as Race Drivin' in MAT3 shows.). Looking at the list I will admit that Gauntlet 2 is good, but Gauntlet 1 is similar, and Wizard of Wor is pretty cool, but that isn't a game I've played much (though I know it's good), and of course there's MK2 and 2, but otherwise, they're either games that aren't that interesting, or games I'd rather play in a format with more features, such as the N64 version of Rampage World Tour, which is much better because it actually lets you save your progress -- crucial in a game as repetitive and tedious as Rampage gets.

As for the worst games in each collection, I guess I don't find Toobin' very interesting from the first one, and I've never liked Paperboy very much. The second one has more choices... APB? Hard Drivin' without the racecar cabinet? Pit-Fighter? Spy Hunter 2? Something else?

Yeah, there's a reason those games weren't in MAT1 or the PS1/Saturn/N64 collections, and it's not just because a few of them were stand-alone releases that gen (MK2, MK3, Rampage World Tour, Primal Rage).

IrishNinja

he really should've, though...didn't bill clinton & q-tip make the cut, via codes?

I could swear they paid me a $100 million licensing fee." Jordan then popped in a copy of "Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City" and played for ten minutes before tossing the controller on the table and taking a nap.

ahahaha :dead:

Yes Boss!

Anybody have any experience with this HD Fury HDMI->VGA cable?

I'm trying to find a solution to playing PSN PS1 games on my HDTV via my PS3 without them being all laggy. My HDTV does have a VGA input (and maybe putting an SLG in there might prove profitable). Also, was thinking about using it to see how PSN PS1 games display on my Sony VGA Broadcast that has a RGB/VGA breakout.

It seems to sound perfect but for $130, I dunno.

http://www.hdfury.com/products/hdfury-gamer/

I know that very few people on GAF care much about games from before the NES, but I've been playing those games for the first time over the past couple of years, and added a Atari 7800 to my collection a few months ago, so here are my thoughts, plus short summaries of what I think of all the games I have so far.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=67198831

The 7800 isn't the cheapest system to buy (~$50-plus), but the games are mostly cheap (except for the best ones, of course, which cost up to $30-40), and 2600 games sure are cheap. And many are interesting enough to be well worth trying, too.

Yes Boss!

I just can't do 2600. Some of my very favorite games of the time like Night Driver, Adventure, and Blueprint are just not fun anymore.

I think my brother still has all of our 2600 games. No desire to even borrow them.

I now also struggle with NES. I just find the color palette too drab. I'll still pick up the odd title here and there on 3DS, though.

I think it has more to do with my age. My high school years were from 1988-92, so I pretty much started gaming seriously with the four 16-bit machines.

I am beginning to find the Master System interesting, though.

IrishNinja

I now also struggle with NES. I just find the color palette too drab.

really hoping an RGB mod to my NES fixes much of this! and yeah, that recent SMS thing about an FM chip has me eyeing that down the road as well

Yes Boss!

really hoping an RGB mod to my NES fixes much of this! and yeah, that recent SMS thing about an FM chip has me eyeing that down the road as well

I've been looking at the RGB and Fami. I guess it is about 150+ for the Playchoice 10 chip. I do have some solid memories of importing SMB3 the year before it got released in NA. Plus things like Bionic Commando. But at the same time a lot of my NES VC titles leave me still cold and those seem to be presented well enough.

The actual NES carts are kinda nasty too. I much prefer the smaller Fami carts. Kinda the same way I find Genesis carts cheap, preferring MD versions and boxes.

brainpann

Having started my gaming on the Atari 2600 and NES, I'm always amazed at how good so many Master System games look. The NES does look painfully drab in comparison. What has helped a little, has been connecting it to my XRGB mini. The colors actually start to pop a little but there is only so much that can help. I can't wait to try my RGB modded Famicom when it is finished.

IrishNinja

I was looking to buy a SCART switch off a guy on the SHMUP forums, but i think i found the same model for cheaper on ebay...thing is, once i'm done collecting modded hardware, i'll have:

• Sega Genesis
  • Super Nintendo
  • Sega Saturn
  • N64
  • NES
  • Turbo CD/DUO

and maybe some other stuff down the road (no idea if SMS, 3DO, Jaguar, AES etc require mods or not...actually according to google only the 3DO does, yayy), so that's still a fair bit of switching..not the end of the world, just wondering if anyone knew of a switch with more inputs but wasn't a great deal more expensive?

also saw this one but i don't know if it'd work for my purposes

I really like the Master System back in the day (was my second console) but I do not think most its games hold well. Certainly some platformers are worth to check (Psycho Fox, Castle of Illusion) and maybe some RPGs, but the majority of the games are arcade ports which you can find better ones in the Genesis.

Actually the Genesis is my favorite retro-console, and I am trying hard to rebuild up a collection (sold my originals long ago). In the process I get one or two Master System games.

The actual NES carts are kinda nasty too. I much prefer the smaller Fami carts. Kinda the same way I find Genesis carts cheap, preferring MD versions and boxes.

I always think Nintendo is cheap with the cardboard boxes. Difficult to keep in good shape. However I do not think Genesis boxes are cheap, specially the early releases with the glossy type of plastic. Megadrive boxes looks stronger, but Genesis are not that bad.

Yes Boss!

I just found out about the new component SLG HD!

http://joca-tech.de/Arcadeforge/product_info.php?products_id=97

Definitely looks very interesting...especially for Wii, Wii+XRGB, PS2, PS2+XRGB, and heck, even a 360 with component.

I'm broke now but I'll definitely be picking one up shortly!

I always think Nintendo is cheap with the cardboard boxes. Difficult to keep in good shape. However I do not think Genesis boxes are cheap, specially the early releases with the glossy type of plastic. Megadrive boxes looks stronger, but Genesis are not that bad.

Well, I realize it really is just a personal thing. But I just really find all the product from the Genesis release to have a cheap feeling. Carts, Cart Cases, even the system itself. Still great, but just saying compared to Super Fami, Neo and PCE. It was always my least favorite. I despised the Genesis clamshell cases and their design. Just as I despised the initial NES case design. Yeah, cardboard cases are junk...the reason they went right into the trash. I'm so happy Nintendo went back to a case beginning with the Cube/DS.

Dave Long

Banned
I love the Genesis clamshells. They have stood the test of time. I suppose only the hangtabs are really an issue with them, but when it comes to protecting and maintaining a collection, only DVD cases seem as durable and even then just barely on par with Genesis. DS cases are similarly durable.

SEGA did a great thing using those cases IMO. I really wish Nintendo had been using something similar at the time.

Top Bottom