• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First poster for The Disaster Artist, teaser out tomorrow

chaislip3

DE9kFuYUAAAzY6V.jpg

https://twitter.com/Sethrogen/status/887037712284491776

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm honestly not that interested in this as I doubt it comes anywhere close to the unintentional cringe humor of the actual movie it's based off of. I could be wrong but I expect some weird pantomime of the original with none of the surreal awkward comedy or they go the other way and force it way too hard.

otapnam

still have never watched the entire original except for the clips and trailers. cant wait to see the franco bros do it up

opoth

Banned
I'm honestly not that interested in this as I doubt it comes anywhere close to the unintentional cringe humor of the actual movie it's based off of. I could be wrong but I expect some weird pantomime of the original with none of the surreal awkward comedy or they go the other way and force it way too hard.

It's more of a biopic about the making of The Room than a remake of it, I don't think anyone is expecting a comedy in the same style.

Temascos

Neo Member
I love the book, it's incredible the amount of batshit insanity Tommy Wiseau spouts. If they can get a fraction of that into this movie I am looking forward to it.

"Your dog...is it real?"

iammeiam

The book it's based on is a pretty solid read--the relationship between the guy who plays Mark and Wieseau is fascinating, and a lot of behind the scenes stuff sets up what should be pretty entertaining cringe. Hopefully the movie includes the book's sympathetic view of Tommy and doesn't take it full cartoon.

Like, there's enough to the story that the making of would be an interesting watch if the end movie wasn't The Room. It being The Room just makes it all that much better.

zeemumu

I think I must've laughed for a couple of minutes straight when I read that part.

I can't wait for Tommy's
heel-turn when he takes Greg on a dangerous car ride and threatens to kick him out of his apartment to put Greg on notice that he owns him.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I love the book, it's incredible the amount of batshit insanity Tommy Wiseau spouts. If they can get a fraction of that into this movie I am looking forward to it.

"Your dog...is it real?"

I probably drove my boyfriend insane with the amount of times I busted out laughing and quoted the book out of context to him.

Shit is hilarious and emotional and amazing and I hope they do it justice.

Deep down James Franco knows that he's the mainstream version of Tommy Wiseau and this movie is a desperate move to further hide that fact from his own self.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Deep down James Franco knows that he's the mainstream version of Tommy Wiseau and this movie is a desperate move to further hide that fact from his own self.

James Franco long ago stopped giving a fuck about anything with regards to his career other than having fun. It happened before the stint on the soap opera, that's for sure.

That someone totally looks like James Franco but also looks like Tommy Wiseau. And those two look nothing alike.
I have no idea what's going on.

Can you explain this?

For some inexplicable reason Tommy Wiseau filmed THE ROOM using both video and film cameras, which was both super stupid from a production standpoint and incredibly expensive, which is compounded by the fact that he just bought all his equipment instead of renting it like a normal production.

Fat4all

Banned
Can you explain this?

Wiseau is a genius

Wiseau, confused about the differences between 35 mm film and high-definition video, decided to shoot the entire film in both formats simultaneously, using a custom-built apparatus that housed both cameras side-by-side and required two crews to operate.[8][10] Explaining his decision to shoot the film in this way, Wiseau said that he wanted to be able to say that he was the first director to film an entire movie simultaneously in two formats, although ultimately only the 35 mm footage was used in the final edit.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Can you explain this?

For The Room, Wiseau did not know if he wanted to shoot digital or film, so he shot both simultaneously.

Likewise, see that poster? The rooftop was constructed open-air in a parking lot, but Wiseau didn't like the background so he put up green screen walls.

So it's like shooting on a set, but fucking wind and sunlight were a factor.

Top Bottom