• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like Fallout 3 is getting GFWL removed as well

Grief.exe

10 minutes ago Removed SupportsCDKeyCopyToClipboard – 0
10 minutes ago Removed ShowCDKeyOnLaunch – 1
10 minutes ago Removed LegacyKeyRegistryLocation – HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\TestApp22300\SteamKey
10 minutes ago Removed LegacyKeyRegistrationMethod – registry
10 minutes ago Changed changenumber – 351679 › 365235

http://steamdb.info/app/22300/#section_history

For those of you that do not know, GFWL cannot function unless you have a key to input. Removing the key from the registry entirely would not allow GFWL to function.
Not showing a key on start up is just icing on the cake.

Thanks to 3chopl0x for initially spotting the change.

ib2LYxVJZeL7l.gif

Thank goodness, now please NAMCO, Dark Souls was in the top 10 of sales the entire Steam Holiday Sales, dont just kill it come July

sflufan

Banned
This reminds me that I have to check to see if my retail Arkham Asylum key works yet in Steam.

WB wanted me to jump through some serious hoops to get a Steam key when I emailed them about it.

DeVeAn

Awesome always wanted to dive back into Fallout 3 on PC. Can't wait. Dark Souls and Dead Rising next please!

epmode

Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls pls

Saroyan

I haven't played it in a while, but I wonder what this means for my retail non Steam copy of Fallout 3, can I still play it with all the DLC I paid for without GFWL?

Grief.exe

Thank goodness, now please NAMCO, Dark Souls was in the top 10 of sales the entire Steam Holiday Sales, dont just kill it come July

Awesome always wanted to dive back into Fallout 3 on PC. Can't wait. Dark Souls and Dead Rising next please!

Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls pls

One day

iKbNPlROGdQqg.png

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
You never needed GFWL to even play Fallout 3 on PC, not in recent years anyway. It's good to see it being completely removed of course but you don't even need to go near it if you want to play it.

ZeroCDR

I haven't played it in a while, but I wonder what this means for my retail non Steam copy of Fallout 3, can I still play it with all the DLC I paid for without GFWL?

It depends on how nice Bethesda is about this. They may let you register your retail key in Steam, and include all of the DLC with it. WB and 2K have been generous in this regard with Batman AA/AC and Bioshock 2 respectively.

F1 2010
F1 2011
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
BioShock 2
Batman: Arkham City
Batman Arkham Asylum
DiRT 3
Fallout 3
Dark Souls
Grand Theft Auto IV
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition ($15 upgrade to Ultra Edition which will be Steamworks)
Iron Brigade
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
Bulletstorm
Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom
Tinker
Gears of War
Colin McRae: DiRT 2
Shadowrun
Viva Piñata
Halo 2
Section 8
Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Republic Heroes
Street Fighter IV
Tron: Evolution
Vancouver 2010
Where’s Waldo? The Fantastic Journey
Blacklight: Tango Down
CarneyVale: Showtime
Crash Time 4: The Syndicate
Red Faction Guerilla
007: Quantum of Solace
Battlestations: Pacific
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
Universe at War: Earth Assault
Fuel
Buy Street Fighter X Tekken
Lost Planet 2
Flatout
The Club
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men

An-Det

That's fantastic news. With New Vegas being pure steamworks, I figured it was inevitable given the gfwl dismantle. It never bothered me when I played the game a few years back, but fewer obstacles to playing it is never a bad thing.

cilonen

Anyone know if updating will mess with my install if I already modded this out?

I forget which set of mods got rid of it but I followed some forum posts on how to get the thing running on Windows 8 and I'm fairly sure a GFWL workaround was one of the steps in the process.

kuYuri

Nice, I was just playing this recently after hearing that GFWL will shut down, earning those achievements before they go away. Guess I better go back to this and earn the others I haven't gotten yet!

F1 2010
F1 2011
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
BioShock 2
Batman Arkham Asylum
DiRT 3
Fallout 3
Dark Souls
Grand Theft Auto IV
Iron Brigade
Bulletstorm
Red Faction Guerilla
Fuel
Lost Planet 2
Flatout
The Club

There are work-arounds for GTAIV and RF: Guerrilla, right?

XPE

Red Faction Guerrilla

Red faction is a scary one with what's happened to THQ and Volition no longer having any say in the it how knows if its going to get patched.

Hopefully its get patch due to Nordic Games wanting legacy sales.

Hellraider

F1 2010
F1 2011
BioShock 2
Batman Arkham Asylum
DiRT 3
Fallout 3
Dark Souls
Grand Theft Auto IV
Iron Brigade
Resident Evil 5
Bulletstorm
Red Faction Guerilla
Fuel
Lost Planet 2
Flatout
The Club

Your list confuses me. Bioshock, Arkham games and ITSP have removed GFWL. The rest of them though? Lost Planet Colonies for example still needs it.

Omikaru

Good.

I just need Grand Theft Auto IV, Dark Souls, Dead Rising 2 and Dead Rising 2: Off The Record de-GFWL'd now.

Finally. Maybe i'll actually have a legit reason to play it then.

GTA 4 needs to follow suit and so does Dark Souls. The less GFWL, the more likely I am to play it as GFWL is an automatic turn off from launching a game.

chupon

is it too late to get these xbox achievements

If you are concerned about missing out on them put Steam in Offline mode ASAP. Launch Fallout 3 and just unlock all the achievements with the console.

Or you could also buy a physical copy of the game.

scitek

F1 2010
F1 2011
BioShock 2
Batman Arkham Asylum
DiRT 3
Fallout 3
Dark Souls
Grand Theft Auto IV
Iron Brigade
Resident Evil 5
Bulletstorm
Red Faction Guerilla
Fuel
Lost Planet 2
Flatout
The Club
Gears of War needs to be on that list. And Halo 2 uses it, too, right?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
If you are concerned about missing out on them put Steam in Offline mode ASAP. Launch Fallout 3 and just unlock all the achievements with the console.

I don't have the game installed (currently downloading it now)

Grief.exe

Steam now has an option to refuse updates

CFh8cDf.png

I'm assuming non-steam versions will still have GWFL? i have a disc version of the game.

Previous changes (Bioshock, Batman) have allowed people to activate their physical copy on Steam after the change to Steamworks.

Regular Lost Planet, not the colonies edition. I am aware.

Doesn't the colonies edition just add some crappy DLC? Doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world to lose access to that, or top Capcom's priority list.

RedSwirl

Thank God. Though you could already avoid it entirely by getting GOTY edition and just not logging in when you create a new file.

Now to wait for Dark Souls and Red Faction Guerrilla to follow suit.

Hellraider

Doesn't the colonies edition just add some crappy DLC? Doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world to lose access to that, or top Capcom's priority list.

No arguments there.IIRC It was mostly multiplayer stuff and literally nobody still plays it so it doesn't matter.
The list is that confuses me, not Lost Planet per se.

Top Bottom