• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The twins make perfect sense since they are classic Avengers.

I do think magic might seem a little out of place. Didn't they describe magic in Thor as advanced science that most humans don't understand, or something like that? They could just have his powers and the Eye of Agamotto be cosmic-based.

When Odin rips modules off Thor's chest armor in Thor, they went so far to show little energy bits like circuits or nanomachines sparking and scattering. They''ve definitely stuck to "cosmic super science" rather than true mysticism.

One thought is Dr. Strange could be accessing cosmic forces normally out of human pay grade by experimenting with "incantations" using a piece of alien tech, yeah like how the Eye could be portrayed. Not understanding how it works but knowing how to activate certain effects, as if spells.

The only reason they did all the "magic is science is magic" stuff in Thor is because they were still feeling things out, they still weren't sure exactly how far they'd be able to go. Turns out, they can do whatever the fuck they want. So they are.

Strange will be a sorcerer
supreme
and Scarlet Witch will be a, erm, witch.

DieH@rd

Banned
There is no science that can explain Odin's command to the Mjolnir before throwing it out to Earth.

BTW I fully expect that Marvel will
kill Tony Stark in A3 by leaving him to be the only standing warrior in the battle against Thanos. With Cap's shield on one shoulder he will grab Mjolnir and then we will hear [in badass slowmo scene] Odin's speech again.

J10

Banned
Stark will die, but it'll be Cap holding Mjolnir who saves the day. Stark would never be worthy enough to hold it. Hell, Cap is already more worthy than Thor himself.

So I was just thinking about before Thor and Captain America came out, and when I was excited for the whole Avengers thing to happen.

And now I'm thinking about where it's going from here.

And I am TOTALLY FREAKING OUT AAAAH.

Stark will die, but it'll be Cap holding Mjolnir who saves the day. Stark would never be worthy enough to hold it. Hell, Cap is already more worthy than Thor himself.

If Iron Man held Mjolnir I would rage. Cap picking it up needs to happen in Avengers 3, Whedon do not disappoint me

DieH@rd

Banned

I doesent matter who is more worthy. The only thing that matters is who is more popular, and RDJ >>> all. :D

AMUSIX

By A3, there'll be a lot of Avengers up against Thanos. Thor, Cap, IM, Hulk, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Pym, Wasp, Widow, Danvers, Strange, Panther, Hawkeye, not to mention anyone they might introduce in A3.

It'd be really nice to see them all included, but something tells me A3 will just have Cap as a father figure, Stark as the government involvement, and really focus on the new blood, with none of the other A1 heroes returning.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
There is no science that can explain Odin's command to the Mjolnir before throwing it out to Earth.

BTW I fully expect that Marvel will
kill Tony Stark in A3 by leaving him to be the only standing warrior in the battle against Thanos. With Cap's shield on one shoulder he will grab Mjolnir and then we will hear [in badass slowmo scene] Odin's speech again.

yeah and theres no way to explain how Loki survives falling into an abyss of nothing , thor getting hit by a car post power stripped, odin crying while in the odin sleep. They have waaaaaaaaay too much shit from the comics mixed in with the super science and theres a point at which im like..whats the point? And why are they riding horses? I really dont think the audience cares if Thor is ...the demi god thor and asgard is like a middle earth type place, shit works different there. The marvel U is soooo fleshed out with so many origins, civilizations, powers and locales , i dont really think we need it all to be pervaded by psuedo science. The shit Odin says in the Thor trailer is psuedo science bullshit, now he's back to telling a tale of days of fucking old, but wait they are so ADVANCED they surely know thats bs..just drop this super science shit , we have GotG for that, spartax, kree, omega corps, the eternals, inhumans, on and on and on.

All the other heroes came to be from "magic" tony stark, capt america, the hulk....yeah one invents a reactor with a box a scraps and circuit boards, capt america gets a shot and bombarded with "vita rays" , the hulk gets bombarded with gamma rays....come on, these are modern day fantasy. The super science ...its just horrible when you want to keep expanding, marvel U isnt about that, its about the stories , its like they felt if a story could be told they would tell it. I dont mind the super science in the right story, but its just going to be a restraint over time it shouldnt matter, the story and characters should matter. I dont find Thor or the Avengers any more believable or accessible because "magiks and science are one in teh same" on asgard, i dont fuckin care i wanna see the god of thunder have words with a motherfucker. I want thor to ever love but distrust his brother, i want tyre to be the unloved but bravest and daring of odins sons, i want balder to be the finest warrior of the guard, the warriors three to be great companions on fantastic quests, for sif to be a soldier of the highest honor etc etc, THATS important , not saying they are super advanced people then have them do a bunch of shit they wouldnt do if they were that advanced.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I would rage too if Tony picked it up. He is nowhere near worthy enough.

Cap will pick it up right after witnessing Tony's death, and then beat the shit out of Thanos with the hammer.

That WOULD be a better way of popularizing a different character, rather than lionizing one that fans will just miss more... right? I hope?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't think they're going out of their way to try and explain way anything with super science, the Marvel Universe in any form isn't Star Trek. It's more that a few lines are being thrown out for the benefit of the viewer to make of what they will. If someone wants to imagine the Asgardians are an advanced space civilization that does everything the way they do for style reasons, the excuse is there. But the stories aren't hung up on justifying Vita rays or whatever.

(Though in pure storytelling context, the movie universe seems to firmly establish the Asgard aren't gods or godly, and are only seen that way by younger races. Loki's ego is used as an intentional contrast since he does like to imagine he is a god.)

Easy, Mjolnir has a higher IQ than Thor.

AMUSIX

Late summer release...ouch. Guess it's good not to go up against Bond, but still, from November to August just hurts.

TDLink

Late summer release...ouch. Guess it's good not to go up against Bond, but still, from November to August just hurts.

It's actually a really good date for the movie. As I posted in the other thread:

This is actually a really smart move. They moved it from the same day as the new James Bond, where it would surely fail, to two weeks after its nearest competition (Batman/Superman). When Ant Man opens Batman/Superman will already be in its third week of release. 2015 is going to be crowded as hell so this is almost certainly the best possible place for it. It has higher profit potential in the summer as well.

J10

Banned
Shit, if they're gonna have two movies that close together with Avengers 2 in May, maybe they can squeeze another movie in for later in the year. I so wish they'd do three movies a year.

TDLink

Shit, if they're gonna have two movies that close together with Avengers 2 in May, maybe they can squeeze another movie in for later in the year. I so wish they'd do three movies a year.

They have hinted in the past that they may go to 3 movies a year and with all the plans we are hearing they might have for Phase 3 I think it is pretty much an inevitability. Probably not until 2016 at the earliest though. Disney won't want something later in November because it will compete with their animated movie.

In the future when they go to three a year I think the general schedule will likely be:

1. Beginning of May
  2. End of July
  3. Beginning of November
Alternatively:

1. March/Beginning of April
  2. May
  3. November

For 2015 they just have a lot going on since they have to fit in two Pixar movies, Star Wars, their animated movie, and Pirates 5 in addition to 2 Marvel films. I think after Pirates 5 they will probably go full Star Wars and Marvel for their live releases, which frees up an extra slot for Marvel.

J10

Banned
What do you guys think about the SHIELD TV show serving as a slow burning prelude to a Civil War adaptation? On the small scale it seems like a standard police procedural, but they could go the X-Files route and have a larger overall story arc that carries over between the standalone monster of the week-type episodes - what to do about all these superhumans that keep popping up. They definitely have to let the universe grow some more before they can get to Civil War, as there aren't enough characters around yet, and SHIELD would be a good way to introduce a lot of street level heroes and villains.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I dont think that they will start or set up anything like Civil War, I rather believe that they are going to outlaw superpowered humans like they did with the mutants in the comics. Of course they cant use them, but I am pretty sure, that they will do something similar.

In the ultimate comics, S.H.I.E.L.D. also sanctionated illegal genetic modifications and were not only going after mutants. I think they will do something like this.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
New Thor: The Dark World posters:
pc9v.jpg

vlk6.jpg

J10

Banned
Yahoo says Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is awesome.

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

Tuesdays at 8 p.m. on ABC; premieres Sept. 24

You've assumed it was going to be awesome, right? Well then, breathe a sigh of relief, because indeed it is. With brothers Whedon (Joss and Jed, along with Jed's wife Maurissa Tancharoen) behind the series, this first Marvel foray into live-action TV is, well, action-packed, full of great Whedon-y dialogue (they even poke fun at the organization's name), and features the return of Agent Coulson (Clark Gregg), who was killed off in "The Avengers." So, what is the org in this "Avengers" spinoff? A group of smart, but not super-powered, heroes who help thwart the evildoing of Marvel universe baddies. In other words, TV land may be safe from uber-villains, but not from wise-cracking, tech-savvy geeks. Thank goodness.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Damn, you american guys are so lucky that you can see Agents of Shield so soon, I bet it will take at least a year until it arrives in germany -,-

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Guys, Ultron is gonna be in an Avengers movie.

I believed I would never see him as a villain, when they showed Thanos...But man. One down in my list of must see villains. Two to go (Annihilus, Dormammu).

TDLink

I believed I would never see him as a villain, when they showed Thanos...But man. One down in my list of must see villains. Two to go (Annihilus, Dormammu).

I have a feeling you will see both of those on the big screen in the next 5 years...which is pretty ridiculous...and awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom