• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jewish-GAF: Shalom!

Hieberrr

I have a question (which may be dumb), but when someone days they are Jewish (ethnically, but not in the religious sense), do they mean Israeli?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
I have a question (which may be dumb), but when someone days they are Jewish (ethnically, but not in the religious sense), do they mean Israeli?

nah, Im sure thats how jews identify themselves as being semites or of semitic descent me thinks.

RawPower

Banned
No fellas, I'm not dead. I was banned for derailing a thread slightly. Go figure.

Personally, I identify myself as of Middle Eastern or Semitic heritage to avoid being mistaken for a religious type.

Kenka

I believe everyone here would love to answer any question you might have :)
Just checking water's temp. Is it true that Jewish people must fast during TWO months each year ? I've heared that once but nobody came with a definite answer. Believe me, fasting one month is shit enough, I can't imagine how fasting for two months must feel like :(

dude

dude
Just checking water's temp. Is it true that Jewish people must fast during TWO months each year ? I've heared that once but nobody came with a definite answer. Believe me, fasting one month is shit enough, I can't imagine how fasting for two months must feel like :(

Nope, Jews never fast for more than a day I believe. There are major fasts like Yom Kippur which is from sunset to sunset (the full 24 hours), unlike the Ramadan. There are some minor fasts that are from sunrise to sunset though.
I'm not sure how it is with Islam, but in Judaism fasting also prohibits drinking.

It's funny, because as a kid I was always amazed at how Muslims could fast for a whole month.

RawPower

Banned
It's really annoying how whenever I do a Google search for anything on Jews, all I see are hate sites directed at us. This is probably the least of my grievances regarding Jewish life right now, but it's a harrowing reminder that antisemitism still lives. Maybe I should start working on a "Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack of Goyim Privilege" article. Agree? Disagree?

Kenka

Nope, Jews never fast for more than a day I believe. There are major fasts like Yom Kippur which is from sunset to sunset (the full 24 hours), unlike the Ramadan. There are some minor fasts that are from sunrise to sunset though.
I'm not sure how it is with Islam, but in Judaism fasting also prohibits drinking.

It's funny, because as a kid I was always amazed at how Muslims could fast for a whole month.
Damn, that is some hardcore thoughts you had. We don't drink during the day that's true but not drinking for a whole month (and potentially surviving it) would be a new definition of hell. One that would be accepted by everyone, I am sure.

BlueCrow

Neo Member
I didn't know there was a thread. Shalom everyone.
Same here, shalom everyone!
It's really annoying how whenever I do a Google search for anything on Jews, all I see are hate sites directed at us. This is probably the least of my grievances regarding Jewish life right now, but it's a harrowing reminder that antisemitism still lives. Maybe I should start working on a "Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack of Goyim Privilege" article. Agree? Disagree?
Well, I heard that there are many antisemist drawings and ads in european countries (from a friend who used to live in Hungary).

RawPower

Banned
Well, I heard that there are many antisemist drawings and ads in european countries (from a friend who used to live in Hungary).

What a fucking joke. And they wonder why a lot of us no longer want anything to do with our old host countries....please.

I remember in junior year, I actually punched a kid in the mouth for suggesting the Israeli Jews should move back to Europe. Was thrown out of school for a week of course, but I don't regret it at all.

dude

dude
Damn, that is some hardcore thoughts you had. We don't drink during the day that's true but not drinking for a whole month (and potentially surviving it) would be a new definition of hell. One that would be accepted by everyone, I am sure.
Yeah, I sort of figured Muslims had superhuman fasting powers :p In my defense, I was, like, 6.

I know that some in the left in European countries harbor some anti-antisemitism (manifested through the old the Jews control the banks.) Not all of them, but I know this through connections in left circles in Europe...

RawPower

Banned
I know that some in the left in European countries harbor some anti-antisemitism (manifested through the old the Jews control the banks.) Not all of them, but I know this through connections in left circles in Europe...

You'd think these so-called "progressives" would have realized what kind of dogma they're buying into, and where it fucking came from in the first place (i.e. the Catholic Church).

Yeah, I sort of figured Muslims had superhuman fasting powers :p In my defense, I was, like, 6.

I would say it's mostly the rightists who are the true enemies and the spiritual successors of the Nazis. Once they're done with the Moslems (their current targets in Europe), they'll move right back to the Jews.

A lot of anti-Moslem behavior has been going on in Europe (banning of minarets, banning of headscarf, banning of face veil in public, calls for banning immigration from Moslem countries, protests calling for deportation of Moslems), but since the Moslems are not as few in numbers as the Jews, there has been a lot of violence in retaliation as well (such as the infamous French riots - but they were less religious in nature and more due to poverty).

This anti-Moslem behavior is incited by both the radical Moslems who say ridiculous things like killing the non-Moslem or taking over Europe (why the hell are these radicals not deported or jailed???) and the far right groups in Europe, such as Le Pen's party in France and Griffin's party in the UK.

But that was completely off topic.

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread but I wanted to ask you something. Currently I'm reading "A Conveniant Hatred: The History of Antisemitism" by Phyllis Goldstein and enjoying it a lot (obviously not enjoying the pain the Jews went through; it's just their history that's absolutely fascinating). It's my first attempt at trying to understand anti-semitism and if I understood it corretly (I'm only 1/4 through, currently in the chapter about anti-semitism from 1347-1492 ) Jews were demonized because they refused to accept the god or the gods of the governing bodies. Another important aspect is that Christians wanted to seperate themselves more from the Jews and spread the lie that Jews were responsible for Jesus' crucifixion.

Can you guys recommend me more literature on antisemitism (especially anti-semitism in Nazi Germany) that is as informative and well written as Goldstein's book?

Kenka

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread but I wanted to ask you something. Currently I'm reading "A Conveniant Hatred: The History of Antisemitism" by Phyllis Goldstein and enjoying it a lot (obviously not enjoying the pain the Jews went through; it's just their history that's absolutely fascinating). It's my first attempt at trying to understand anti-semitism and if I understood it corretly (I'm only 1/4 through, currently in the chapter about anti-semitism from 1347-1492 ) Jews were demonized because they refused to accept the god or the gods of the governing bodies. Another important aspect is that Christians wanted to seperate themselves more from the Jews and spread the lie that Jews were responsible for Jesus' crucifixion.

Can you guys recommend me more literature on antisemitism (especially anti-semitism in Nazi Germany) that is are informative and well written as Goldstein's book?
I second that. I really wonder why the Jewish were persecuted in Europe for so long. It would also be interesting to know what were their conditions in the Americas, also.

Currently I'm reading "A Conveniant Hatred: The History of Antisemitism" by Phyllis Goldstein and enjoying it a lot

Finished it today and while it was a decent read, it felt rushed after the chapter that covered 1933 and provided very little information on current Israel and antisemitism of our time.

Still looking for good literature. I heard the eBook version of "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" is a disaster?

Ceej

So I want an opinion on whether I really qualify as a secular Jew. My whole life, my family has always made light of the fact that I act and look "totally Jewish" to the point where we started looking back through both sides of my family history to see if and where any Jewish heritage comes from. What we found is several Jewish family members back on my father's side and a couple on my mother's side whom it is questionable as to whether or not they are Jewish.

I had a friend tell me that it doesn't matter how much Jewish blood is on your father's side, if there's none on your mother's side "it doesn't count". Is there any truth at all to that and can I feel right in considering myself a Jew (ethnically)?

Pie Lord

So I want an opinion on whether I really qualify as a secular Jew. My whole life, my family has always made light of the fact that I act and look "totally Jewish" to the point where we started looking back through both sides of my family history to see if and where any Jewish heritage comes from. What we found is several Jewish family members back on my father's side and a couple on my mother's side whom it is questionable as to whether or not they are Jewish.

I had a friend tell me that it doesn't matter how much Jewish blood is on your father's side, if there's none on your mother's side "it doesn't count". Is there any truth at all to that and can I feel right in considering myself a Jew (ethnically)?
To put it simply, if your mother is Jewish you are Jewish. If she is not, you are not. So unless you can trace an unbroken line of Jewish women that ends with your mother, you are not Jewish.

To put it simply, if your mother is Jewish you are Jewish. If she is not, you are not. So unless you can trace an unbroken line of Jewish women that ends with your mother, you are not Jewish.

That's such bullshit and I've heard it tons of times. My wife maybe Catholic but my daughter is Jewish, anyone ever tries to tell her otherwise and...well they shouldn't.

I consider a Jew to be a person with a Jewish heritage. Who cares about blood, if you're raised in a home with Jewish values and morals, you're a Jew to me.

Pie Lord

That's such bullshit and I've heard it tons of times. My wife maybe Catholic but my daughter is Jewish, anyone ever tries to tell her otherwise and...well they shouldn't.
I suggest you try and avoid most conservative Jews then. Some of the reform are open to the idea of tracing lineage through the male line though. I'm not sure how the law of return would apply in those situations though, if that matters to you.

Ultima_5

I didn't know there was a jew gaf thread. I never go in the community side of OT. Hey everybody! You got another!

This thread features full frontal jew-dity
sorry for the lame pun =/

I suggest you try and avoid most conservative Jews then.
I suggest they have the common sense to keep their mouths shut.

Some of the reform are open to the idea of tracing lineage through the male line though. I'm not sure how the law of return would apply in those situations though, if that matters to you.
Nah, it wouldn't matter, could never in a million years imagine why I would move to Israel.

I suggest you try and avoid most conservative Jews then. Some of the reform are open to the idea of tracing lineage through the male line though. I'm not sure how the law of return would apply in those situations though, if that matters to you.

I believe the law of return as interpreted by the Israeli government is actually fairly liberal, but as interpreted by the rabbi's for your Judiasm in Israel is extremely strict. Which is important, as they rabbi's control marriage, and there is no civil marriage in Israel.

dude

dude
The law of return in Israel requires Jewish blood in any side in the last three generations. As electricpirate pointed out, that can lead to problems because the state may recognize you as Jewish, but the rabbinical court would require you to "convert" to get married/divorced.

Top Bottom