• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New patent for Microsoft's "Fortaleza" glasses appear.

A system and related methods for inviting a potential player to participate in a multiplayer game via a user head-mounted display device are provided. In one example, a potential player invitation program receives user voice data and determines that the user voice data is an invitation to participate in a multiplayer game. The program receives eye-tracking information, depth information, facial recognition information, potential player head-mounted display device information, and/or potential player voice data. The program associates the invitation with the potential player using the eye-tracking information, the depth information, the facial recognition information, the potential player head-mounted display device information, and/or the potential player voice data. The program matches a potential player account with the potential player. The program receives an acceptance response from the potential player, and joins the potential player account with a user account in participating in the multiplayer game.
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...6757.PGNR.&OS=DN/20130196757RS=DN/20130196757

Qf5Ic9U.jpg

lJdyfGC.jpg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds cool.

Also, major props to whoever does the illustrations for these things. You are truly a master at your art.

rrs

Looks like Microsoft is setting the framework for their VR glasses, and more than likely speeding up things to take on everyone else.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
fortaleza + kinect = yes pleaseeeeee

[0024] The HMD device 200 may also include an optical sensor system 62 that utilizes at least one outward facing sensor 212, such as an optical sensor. Outward facing sensor 212 may detect movements within its field of view, such as gesture-based inputs or other movements performed by a user or by a person within the field of view. Outward facing sensor 212 may also capture image information, such as facial recognition information, and depth information from a physical environment and real-world objects within the environment. For example, outward facing sensor 212 may include a depth camera, a visible light camera, an infrared light camera, and/or a position tracking camera. In some examples, outward facing sensor 212 may include one or more optical sensors for observing visible spectrum and/or infrared light from the ambient lighting conditions in the physical environment.

it'll also have kinect built in! :p

edit: woah eye tracking? :eek:

[0023] The HMD device 200 may also include various systems and sensors. For example, the HMD device 200 may include an eye-tracking system 58 that utilizes at least one inward facing sensor 208. The inward facing sensor 208 may be an image sensor that is configured to acquire image data in the form of eye-tracking information from a user's eyes. Provided the user has consented to the acquisition and use of this information, the eye-tracking system 58 may use this information to track the position and/or movement of the user's eyes. The eye-tracking system 58 may then determine where and/or at what person or object the user is looking. In another example, the inward facing sensor 208 may capture retinal scan information from a user's retina. Provided the user has consented to the acquisition and use of this information, such information may be used to identify the user wearing the HMD device 200.

double woah

DopeyFish

[0021] The transparent display 54 may be configured to enable a user to view a real-world object in the physical environment through one or more partially transparent pixels that are displaying a virtual object representation. In one example, the transparent display 54 may include image-producing elements located within lenses 204 (such as, for example, a see-through Organic Light-Emitting Diode (OLED) display). As another example, the transparent display 54 may include a light modulator on an edge of the lenses 204. In this example, the lenses 204 may serve as a light guide for delivering light from the light modulator to the eyes of a user.

sounds like they may not be close

Ebomb

Banned
This plus Kinect will be a symbiotic pairing and another good reason why Kinect is mandatory. If everybody has kinect the cost to have the full depth/facial tracking plus heads up display will be less prohibitive if you only need to buy the glasses as an add on. The specific use case described in this application looks very convenient.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Having used a similar device(AR VR basically) a long time ago, this probably has a better chance at bringing VR to the masses than Occulus, if executed right.

This sounds amazing. I hope Sony is working on something like this too. If not, then I'll probably have to pick up a one sooner rather than later.

Are there any other glasses out there currently that do a blended reality display? It's pretty much google glass for competition and that's it right? I can see microsoft wanting a piece of that pie. Although I'd imagine they're over estimating how willing people would be to wear glasses.

Bsigg12

Are there any other glasses out there currently that do a blended reality display? It's pretty much google glass for competition and that's it right? I can see microsoft wanting a piece of that pie. Although I'd imagine they're over estimating how willing people would be to wear glasses.

It's not really a Google Glass type thing though. These are full on displays with transparent pixels that sit like a pair of glasses. It allows them to do much grander things like actually using the Kinect sensor type thing in the glasses to build a virtual world around what you're looking at. Google Glass is more of just a HUD.

DopeyFish

Another thing to note: in original doc it was stated to be wifi long before we knew X1 was wifi direct

Also it appears Xbox version will need an arm band... Assuming because of power? Maybe they solved that issue... Batteries are holding our tech back :(

Another thing to note: in original doc it was stated to be wifi long before we knew X1 was wifi direct

Also it appears Xbox version will need an arm band... Assuming because of power? Maybe they solved that issue... Batteries are holding our tech back :(

Also note on the old power point it reads "One Box" and "Input 1" long before we knew the console was called Xbox One.

DopeyFish

Sounds ridiculous.

1245227615_colin_farrel.gif

Er? Sounds ridiculously awesome you mean?

Imagine kinect + VR + AR

Potentially amazing stuff.

Not hardcore like oculus rift but this does justify kinect being in every box. Using IR to communicate between kinect and glasses to give an exact location of where the head is relative to the TV ... Something that would be really difficult to do without it.

Takuya

Banned
Er? Sounds ridiculously awesome you mean?

Imagine kinect + VR + AR

Potentially amazing stuff.

Not hardcore like oculus rift but this does justify kinect being in every box. Using IR to communicate between kinect and glasses to give an exact location of where the head is relative to the TV ... Something that would be really difficult to do without it.

I thought Kinect was already justified? *cough*

Minions

This stuff really confuses me. The last part of the time line.... do they expect two people to meet in public and dance around like having a battle? I mean it could be entertaining as hell for onlookers but I don't see many people using it.

As for the stage before last; I could see it.... I guess. I still don't think these glasses are going to be cheap enough to hit mass market. Google glass is pretty niche (and will remain niche if they cost $300~ which I expect they will); I wonder if this will compete more with Oculus rift.

Xbudz

JIFC3X2.jpg

So this is Microsoft's Google Glass..
I'm going to bug-out if I see a park full of people playing Kinect.

I would be stunned if these were still on track for 2015. VR is obviously '14 but we'll have a few years of that before the significantly more challenging problems of AR are solved. Especially in a device you'd be happy to wear outside the house.

DopeyFish

This stuff really confuses me. The last part of the time line.... do they expect two people to meet in public and dance around like having a battle? I mean it could be entertaining as hell for onlookers but I don't see many people using it.

As for the stage before last; I could see it.... I guess. I still don't think these glasses are going to be cheap enough to hit mass market. Google glass is pretty niche (and will remain niche if they cost $300~ which I expect they will); I wonder if this will compete more with Oculus rift.

Well its going to be both console and phone

So yes it's conceivable you can play games like that. Sword game? Unlikely. While there is 1:1 motion control, there's nothing stopping your "swords" so it's not exactly the best for that. Anything with your hands out of view is out of the question too... Unless they can crowd source the scene which isn't something that is easily done or technically feasible (yet)

It's showing off that and the ability to integrate Xbox live functions within real life... Adding friends... Showing game lists... Etc

AR stuff has a chance to be super interesting... Like sitting down and playing chess without the need for a chess board... Shoot the bottle with your fingers.... Stuff like that

Experience would be far richer with the Xbox itself and interacting directly with other users. Other AR possibilities with things like business aren't likely to happen unless Fortaleza concept is an open standard.. So things like google glass can operate interchangeably... Then... There is a chance of mobile adoption taking off in a BIG way

Microsoft picks the best codenames:

Durango
Natal
Fortaleza

But the worst final names.

Xbox One? Not for me. But I'd buy a Durango in heart beat.

Acccent

Knowing Microsoft this will be at least 300 € because they think they can compete with Oculus Rift (hey, you can even walk around with it), killing it instantly just like every other cool product MS has had in the last seven years.

Yeah, MS has an amazing ability to come up with a tiny bit of brilliant and then wrapping it up with a whole lot of stupid. Windows 8/Phone could have been fantastic ang hugely successful if they weren't plagued with dumb mistakes and policies, and the same is happening with the X1, and I can't imagine it not happening with that kind of project; any trust I had has been reduced to ashes by now.

Top Bottom