• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR: no multiplayer in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Forbes said:
To many fans of the series, the Witcher games are some of the last great single-player role-playing games being made. Recently there have been murmurings of a possible multiplayer mode in CD Projekt RED’s upcoming The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

This speculation has led to some understandable worry.

With companies like EA abandoning single-player games altogether, and many beloved franchises like Dragon Age and Mass Effect seeing tacked-on multiplayer elements, it would be pretty painful to see the same thing happen to the next Witcher.

Good news, then, for fans of Geralt of Rivia and the Witcher universe.

CD Projekt RED has told me in no uncertain terms that this is not in the works, noting that “the game will be an epic, story driven, single player, open world RPG experience” and that they “strongly feel that this final saga of Geralt has no place for meaningful multiplayer.”
Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...-only-drm-worst-thing-in-video-game-industry/

These guys get it :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah I think this makes more sense if they actually didn't already know what they intended to do this close to launch and weren't just bullshitting like some devs tend to do (*cough* Naughty Dog *cough* BioWare *cough*).

Izick

Didn't even know it had multiplayer planned at some point. Wonder what they were planning?

Anyway, I'm playing through Witcher 2 through for the first time and I'm absolutely loving it, so I can't wait to see what 3 has in store.

Wooooooooo

iLyrStuYlCDPy.gif

Abandond

This makes me sad. Probably wont be picking this up anymore.

Edit: All I really wanted was the ability to have a friend join me through the game. I dont even care about pvp/arena/etc.

That's a shame. I was looking forward to taking my leveled up Geralt online to fight other player's differently colored Geralts in no holds barred arena battle scenarios.

Good on them. I wouldn't mind if they still had an arena mode or something like TW2 but just focusing on SP gives me faith that they know what they're doing.

Venin

I guess if I had to guess as to what kind of multiplayer they had planned, I'd guess it was probably going to be an Arena mode type thing, like in Witcher 2. Probably with different selectable characters. If that is indeed what they were going to do, it could have been pretty decent to an extent.

Personally, though, I feel that multiplayer has no real place in a Witcher game and I'm happy they decided against it.

ReaperXL7

Was already looking forward to this a great deal, but this confirmation is only more exciting. No wasted effort for a feature most of the fanbase does not care about.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There was going to be multiplayer?

It would have probably been shit.

They said they were looking into the possibility for Witcher 3, but only committing for Cyberpunk, and would have an announcement regarding Witcher 3 later in the year.

This would be the announcement.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Instead, the focus will be on attenuating the addictive and non-linear storytelling.

hell yeah focus on what is actually matter and online multiplayer should stay far and away from WRPGs imho.

Good. MP would ruin scripted events and mess up the plot of the story. Same reason why MP wouldn't work in the context of the story of skyrim or GTA, etc.

yeah it's fun to screw around with buddies in MP but it would cripple the story.

nasos_333

Thank god

Witcher turning to another generic crappy MMO in the million would be some of the most grave news for RPG gaming ever

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I hope you don't mind the ninja edit, but I'm changing this to the original source, which is actually in English.

Complistic

So relieved. Co op arena or something might have worked, but I'd much rather they focused on the single player. They're not that big of a team lol.

Yeah I think this makes more sense if they actually didn't already know what they intended to do this close to launch and weren't just bullshitting like some devs tend to do (*cough* Naughty Dog *cough* BioWare *cough*).

At least for Bioware it payed off. I think I heard that mentioned somewhere.

The more and more I hear about the game, the more I tend to preorder this. It's good to hear they can fully concentrate on the single player game and not wasting resources on multiplayer. Although the game still sounds pretty ambitious, I just hope they can deliver what they promise.

A feature that I didn't even know was in the game was cut, yay.
EDIT: Oh, guess it was just "rumored" and they confirmed it never was to be. Read it wrong.

Top Bottom