• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES6 360 - (grass) screenshots from preview build

Here are two screenshots from a recent preview build, quite an improvement imho:

1ni3.jpg

2tx7.jpg

It looks nice, though thats quite a short cut out distance in the first pic, and the second one reminds me of cotton wool.

Hatorade said:
The grass seems like it would look better in motion.
Yeah, the guy who took those said it looks a bit strange in stills, but looks pretty nice in motion.
Also the animation seems to be very good in the recent build.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
That looks like shit. They should work on the textures instead. You won't notice the carpet like pitch during gameplay but the textures always look bad.

Too many repetitive textures in the grass. A bigger storage medium could definitely solve this problem.

Zaptruder

Banned
It's not great, but it's the best emulation of the short uneven nature of grass I've seen in a game so far.

Lack of AF kills it though.

PipBoy

Banned
Only in videogames: Louis II stadium is full :lol (well, it's full when they play against Marseille and... that's it)

SumGamer

The stadium's field carer need to be fired. The grass wouldn't look like that if we were watching the real game from TV. The blue shoes and leg pad are nice tho.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Zaptruder said:
It's not great, but it's the best emulation of the short uneven nature of grass I've seen in a game so far.

I was thinking that. But then in the first shot there is DOF being applied - but I don't think it'd kick in that suddenly.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I dunno, it looks like even the brown bits (which i always assumed were supposed to be bare ground) have the grass texture on them.

Guess its better than a flat texture but really, who cares?

Keio

For a Finer World
I heard the player faces in the Xbox 360 version are blank (as in empty, flat skin coloured textures) while playing from "wide" view. Is that true?

I hope our editor is wrong, please tell me he is!

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Ghost said:
I dunno, it looks like even the brown bits (which i always assumed were supposed to be bare ground) have the grass texture on them.

Guess its better than a flat texture but really, who cares?

GAF cares.

I got a question: isn't it possible that when they really would make the gras leaf by leaf that it would look horrible in motion? Maybe then it would look unrealistic, because in real life when you watch a soccer game, you don't see every darn leaf either.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Yeah, looks like carpet, but the sad thing is that it's still a hell of alot better than it used to be...

Konami hasn't ever been great with graphics with this game at all... too bad...

Luckily for them the REAL fans don't even care about the grass in this game!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Nervous Hamster said:
You're kidding right? Orrr... you prefer the plastic toy soldiers from FIFA?

Nope, I didn't like it when FIFA suddenly discovered bump-mapping, but sadly I always thought FIFA was the better looking game in stills... from models to stadiums to crowds...

Visually, PES was never better than FIFA, but it was never a huge difference though...

swander

Gamecocks625 said:
At least it's not the "realistic" grass of FIFA 06 where it would totally surround the player's boots.

I was playing the Just Cause demo yesterday, and the fact that it reminded me of Fifa isn't exactly a glowing review for their graphics.

Seems to be improving quickly from the GC build.

Zaptruder said:

Definitely agree with this. First time I've seen grass in a "soccer" game at the right length.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
This might sound strange, but those are the first time football boots have looked beautiful in a game. Lovely!

As for FIFA graphics being better, only in some areas, they dont always get the likenesses right and thats what matters, not how polished the models are. Also the animation is never a patch on PES, FIFA players run like zombies or hunchbacks or something, and you always get that "skating" feeling.

AFAIK earlier screens allready showed this effect. When the camera zooms out only a bit, the effect seems to dissapear in a green sea of blur.

B E N K E

Seriously only EA Canada try to depict long strands of grass. You can't play football on that kind of surface. The grass is cut really, really short, unless you're trying to depict African football where they need to have long grass because of the climate. So is it really interesting to show grass that we would never see in real life?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Never would've thought AF, of all things, would be an issue this gen. Here's to hoping some smart people develop a way around this hurdle as it's really hurting a lot, if not most 360 titles in the visuals dept.

Many PS3 shots shown have some AF issues as well.

Top Bottom