• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 34 too old to learn how to skateboard.

Heath V

More like lol at the OPs update pretty confirming he was too old. Tore a rotator cuff which could adversely affect his job as a mechanic for a long time. Know a couple people with torn rotator cuff that didn't heal properly (not uncommon even with surgery). Wish you luck healing OP.

I did not read the update but 34 is NOT too old, that injury could have happened to anybody. It's not like he is in his 80's.

wondermega

I'm 43 and my friend (10 years my junior) just gave me his board which seems to be in great shape. I'm interested in using it for the practicality, not so much for pulling fancy tricks. It's been sitting there for a couple of months untouched, we will see.

greepoman

I did not read the update but 34 is NOT too old, that injury could have happened to anybody. It's not like he is in his 80's.

Yeah it could happen to anyone from falling...which you're gonna do a lot of when learning to skateboard. I just have some friends that suffer from chronic pain injuries from doing stuff in their late 30s that they shouldn't have been doing. I know you can't live your life in fear but I will say I don't think learning to skateboard in my 30s is worth possible chronic pain. Especially if your job requires you to do some level of physical activity.

Cc23830

More like lol at the OPs update pretty confirming he was too old. Tore a rotator cuff which could adversely affect his job as a mechanic for a long time. Know a couple people with torn rotator cuff that didn't heal properly (not uncommon even with surgery). Wish you luck healing OP.

Much appreciated. I have had a shot of steroids in to it using ultrasound to see the tear, the doc is hoping to avoid surgery. But i have definitely lost range of movement even if the pain has subsided slightly. My wife has bought me a longboard for xmas which i think i should have just gone with in the first place. At least i tried it and didnt shy away ha.

Much appreciated. I have had a shot of steroids in to it using ultrasound to see the tear, the doc is hoping to avoid surgery. But i have definitely lost range of movement even if the pain has subsided slightly. My wife has bought me a longboard for xmas which i think i should have just gone with in the first place. At least i tried it and didnt shy away ha.

At least you'll have a story to tell your grandkids about why you can't pick them up or play with them.

Maso

Neo Member
OP, give us the deets. What kinda nasty bail did you have?

I've been contemplating getting back into skating. I quit around 18 since I have a shit knee. I was never decent at skating, but the pain in my right knee from landing a 3-4 stair was so demoralizing. If I bailed wrong and had the board slam into my bad knee, I'd be limping for a few days and couldn't skate. Was thinking I could get back into it if I just dicked around with flatground.

I really miss it. I always did a 20 min skate home from school on top of my other skating. I was in the best shape of my life.

TTOOLL

That's something I would like to try too. I've always wanted to skateboard.
Also, I'm 32 and just started my drum classes. It's never too late!

At least you'll have a story to tell your grandkids about why you can't pick them up or play with them.
Adam%20Savage%20crop.jpg

nyanpire

Neo Member
As someone who is in their 30's, it is all about how old/young you feel. A lot of people learn how to skateboard in their early teens/twenties, but that does not mean that you cannot learn. Never say you cannot do something due to age restriction because all it does is literally age you.

I'm in my 30's, but I am lively enough and engage in hobbies that interest me without care for the age range I should be. Most people still believe me to be in my early 20's because I have not lost the vigor for life, and you shouldn't either!

appaws

Banned
In theory, yeah of course. Go nuts!

In practice, I am remembering back to my high school, then early 20s and skating. I took a lot of bumps that I got right up from that now would have me out of commission for weeks.

Skating and hockey did my knees in....the rebuild of my knee by Chicago's best orthopedic surgeon who does surgery for the bulls and hawks cost $40,000. I think i am going to be one of those old people who needs a chair that lifts them up in about 20 years, or I'll be rolling around Wal-Mart in one of those little carts. (If there are any available for me after all the morbidly obese people take them)

Or you could go the opposite direction and take up fly fishing or playing chess in the park.

You're never too old! I'm 25 and have been skating for nearly 10 years now and i'm still having just as much fun. I hope to still be skating in 10-20 years

Divus

Just remember its not going to hurt so much the day after, but in two days after you fall. In my mid to late 30's and I actually start to plan things around when I get sore now.

highrider

Banned
I’m 50 and I could still do it. Age is less relevant than your actual physical condition. That being said, if I’m honest, grown men on skateboards.. it’s a pass for me dawg. Unless you are a professional skateboarder or an eccentric wealthy guy, then it’s tolerable.

Top Bottom