• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuzo Koshiro on Switch during interview: "Why does this thing even exist, really"

Status
Not open for further replies.

btrboyev

I agree that if the Switch is succeeding the 3DS it needs to be cheaper. Once support stops for the 3DS we'll either see a $200 Switch SKU or another dedicated handheld.

There is definitely going to be a switch version that removes the joycons and would probably have a 4" screen, but not until next fall at the earliest.

Right, but the key here is that the Switch, as it is, is not a great portable device. It doesn't fit in your pocket.

I made the case before with the rise of phablets (is this term even used anymore lol) and tablets, that it doesn't matter. The audience has spoken, they love and prefer bigger screens. It's the new normal.

It can fit in pockets though. And it's really not that uncomfortable doing so, though I guess it doesn't leave much room for anything else in your pockets:

AtL8JX1.jpg

It fits in all of my pants pockets which work perfectly fine for taking it around the house. Also it fits far better if you remove the joycons too.

Celine

I made the case before with the rise of phablets (is this term even used anymore lol) and tablets, that it doesn't matter. The audience has spoken, they love and prefer bigger screens.
This is also confirmed by 3DS, 45% of units sold are XL models and the only reason this percentage isn't higher (it will become higher with the new 2DS XL model though) is that at the beginning the 3DS was only available in the smaller shape.

HotHamBoy

Nintendo wants it both ways. They want a screen big enough to be enjoyed by people playing Multiplayer with the JoyCons - a feature most people won't use more than a few times as a novelty. They also want it to be a practical portable. Can't be both and the gimmick won, unfortunately.

Now we have a gigantic portable with a shit battery and no D-Pad and increased cost all so Nintendo can show people squinting at 1.5 x 1.5 x 4 inch screens of Mario Kart in their lifestyle ads.

Oregano

Nintendo wants it both ways. They want a screen big enough to be enjoyed by people playing Multiplayer with the JoyCons - a feature most people won't use more than a few times as a novelty. They also want it to be a practical portable. Can't be both and the gimmick won, unfortunately.

Now we have a gigantic portable with a shit battery and no D-Pad and increased cost all so Nintendo can show people squinting at 1.5 x 1.5 x 4 inch screens of Mario Kart in their lifestyle ads.

The battery life would be worse if it was smaller so that makes no sense.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

I'm still hopefully that a year or few down the line Nintendo will release a Switch mini in the size of the New Nintendo 3DS in a clamshell form with hardwired controls. That way I can get all those great Switch games in a more palatable piece of hardware.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

"Portability" hasn't been the deciding factor in the success of a portable device in years. The west definitely doesn't give a duck about it

Nanashrew

Banned

They didn't even skimp out on the battery though. But this was inevitable as battery tech has not kept up with the rest of portable technology.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I'm still hopefully that a year or few down the line Nintendo will release a Switch mini in the size of the New Nintendo 3DS in a clamshell form with hardwired controls. That way I can get all those great Switch games in a more palatable piece of hardware.

You really think they will clamshell it?

Looks like a replacement to me. They still want to sell as many 3ds as possible. Also note the ponit of entry is good for this thing, so why not both tbh.

Five years from now we will look back and know this to be true.

Ganondorfo

I love his work and I think he's entitled to have his own opinion, I'll read the full interview as soon as I'm able to.

lol harsh.

Yeah sorry for that, I was angry when typing that comment, but he also is very harsh towards the Switch. Still my comment was rude and I apologize for it.

"Big screen"=gimmick now?
The battery life is also comparable to the 3DS despite its smaller screen and power.

PSFan

Game Freak announced that the next mainline Pokémon game is going to be on the Switch. For all intents and purposes, much like how Nintendo kept claiming the DS wasn't replacing Game Boy, the Switch is the 3DS successor. They just have no reason to stop supporting the 3DS, and in Japan especially it takes a good year or so until developers start winding down on current consoles that are still selling in order to look forward. People aren't going to abandon their 3DSes instantly just cause the Switch exists, just like no one was going to instantly abandon the PS3 and PSP for the PS4 and PSV.

I'd expect a lot of games announced in 2018 that would be "3DS franchises" to start getting simultaneous Switch ports, and by 2019-2020 I'd expect most of the companies who did work on 3DS to be fully focused on Switch. The advantage of the console is that you don't need a big budgeted title to be able to exist on the console. It's just as much of a home for portable experiences as it is console ones.

They never actually said it was the next mainline Pokemon game. All they said was it will be a Pokemon RPG. They could very easily be making a RPG like Coliseum and XD. Which did connect with the current (at the time) mainline games (Pokemon RSE).

Personally, I don't think I really want to go back to one screen Pokemon. I like the menus and stuff on the bottom screen, it works really well.

ksamedi

I guess people have a hard time understanding certsin concepts.

Here is what Iwata said about the Ipad

Nintendo's Satoru Iwata on Friday dismissed Apple's newly-unveiled iPad tablet, saying that the device doesn't offer any new surprises. In fact, he said it looked more like a big iPod Touch, leaving him virtually unimpressed. His view echos many verbal impressions made by critics and Apple loyalists alike since its big reveal back on Wednesday.

Switch becomes clear the moment you try it out for yourself.

Oregano

They never actually said it was the next mainline Pokemon game. All they said was it will be a Pokemon RPG. They could very easily be making a RPG like Coliseum and XD. Which did connect with the current (at the time) mainline games (Pokemon RSE).

Personally, I don't think I really want to go back to one screen Pokemon. I like the menus and stuff on the bottom screen, it works really well.

Gamefreak are making the Switch Pokémon game. They didn't make Coliseum and XD. It's clear what was announced.

Did GameFreak themselves make any of those games? Not to mention that they themselves said that it's a core RPG, which would imply that its a mainline game. Unless Nintendo is severely planning on a 4DS and splitting up their development teams again between console and handheld, the Switch is getting the next mainline Pokemon

In some respects I understand what he is saying, but I feel that he's now in the minority that thinks portability and weight is super important. Nowadays people casually carry an iPad or tablet or other entertainment device around with them in their bag, they naturally want that to have a big screen, while the phone takes the pocket, the days of caring about lugging a GBA or PSP around in your pocket has long gone. Nintendo home consoles are now also feeling pretty much irrelevant, so it makes a lot of sense for them to pool resources and move into a market that has room for them.

LotusHD

Banned

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/1...raditional-find-battle-train-type-experience/

Firstly, it's been revealed that the recently revealed Metroid Prime 4 will be ”a first-person adventure." As for the Pokémon RPG that is currently being developed for Nintendo Switch, Reggie says it will be ”a traditional find, battle, train type experience."

I feel like people are gonna remain in denial even if they straight up use the word "mainline" lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

They said Game Freak is making a core RPG for Switch, not that it's just an RPG. That cannot be misconstrued.

Personally, I don't think I really want to go back to one screen Pokemon. I like the menus and stuff ,on the bottom screen, it works really well.
It's a traditional "find, battle, train" game. It's also made by GameFreak

"Game Freak is developing a core Pokemon RPG title"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SJdDe8fElc

You're being willfully ignorant if you think that means Pokemon Coliseum.

It can fit in pockets though. And it's really not that uncomfortable doing so, though I guess it doesn't leave much room for anything else in your pockets:

It fits in all of my pants pockets which work perfectly fine for taking it around the house. Also it fits far better if you remove the joycons too.
Dam, it has more vents than I thought...

Phamit

Since When is Game Freak developing other Pokemon Games than Mainline Pokémons?

Cartho

They said they were making a "core Pokemon RPG". If you don't want to believe that means a mainline game then fine, but you're wrong - it absolutely means a mainline game.

I cannot believe Nintendo would make a 4DS unless Switch BOMBED. They unified their development teams and made Switch for a reason. If they release another small, light, cheaper handheld it will be based on the Switch. Period.

I feel like if GameFreak saw people questioning what kind of Pokemon game is gonna be on switch after their announcement they'd bust out laughing.

"We called it a Core RPG title, how obvious must we make it?"

Cartho

I feel like if GameFreak saw people questioning what kind of Pokemon game is gonna be on switch after their announcement they'd bust out laughing.

Some people are very deluded about it. It was so blatantly obvious that they are making a mainline game.

Let's see, Metroid fans wanted a proper game after Federation Force so Prime 4 was announced.
Many 3D Mario fans wanted another Mario in the vein of 64 and Sunshine after playing 3D World and Odyssey was announced.
Many people were bummed at the Pokémon Direct that only Pokken was announced for the Switch and then at the big show E3, a member of The Pokémon Company mentioned he had "one more thing" to announce, the future POKEMON COLLISSEUM.

Please use some common sense.

LotusHD

Banned

"But you said core, not mainline!"

Let's see, Metroid fans wanted a proper game after Federation Force so Prime 4 was announced.
Many 3D Mario fans wanted another Mario in the vein of 64 and Sunshine after playing 3D World and Odyssey was announced.
Many people were bummed at the Pokémon Direct that only Pokken was announced for the Switch and then at the big show E3, a member of The Pokémon Company mentioned he had "one more thing" to announce, the future POKEMON COLLISSEUM.

Please use some common sense.

In the 0.0000000000000001% chance that it'd be a Pokemon Colosseum type game, I'd be fine with that, those games were fun lol

Whompa02

I tend to agree...I think Nintendo has been in a bit of a weird place for awhile now. Seems to be working to a degree though. The idea doesn't seem novel enough to merit the cost. They need more options. Different models.

I tend to agree...I think Nintendo has been in a bit of a weird place for awhile now. Seems to be working to a degree though. The idea doesn't seem novel enough to merit the cost. They need more options. Different models.

If this were true, the device wouldn't be sold out.

*screams*

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

No, they've confirmed it's a normal pokemon game where you do pokemon game stuff.

ugly

U a fashion kingpin

You really think they will clamshell it?

Would differentiate it from the standard model easily while cementing the idea that it's a 1 player machine versus the standard model's mirrored joy-cons setup for multiplayer. Would also make it less wide which means it'd be smaller. I think a clamshell GBA SP type device would be the likely route for a portable only Switch.

I think too many people here are viewing this through the lens of western preferences, but I'm assuming that most Switch owners in Japan are using this 100% as a portable device. So from that perspective I think the question is fair. Hybrid is I doubt a big selling point in Japan because home consoles are not big sellers anymore. So if it's a portable device that doesn't have novel features* (like the DS did with its dual screen when it came out while the GBA was still around), then where does it fit into the Japanese market if it's not meant to replace the 3DS? I think that's all he is wondering.

(*) - you could make the argument that the motion controls are a novel feature, but I don't think it's a foundational feature to the system as the DS's dual screens were. It's also probably not something you can take advantage of while standing on the train during your commute.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Would differentiate it from the standard model easily while cementing the idea that it's a 1 player machine versus the standard model's mirrored joy-cons setup for multiplayer. Would also make it less wide which means it'd be smaller. I think a clamshell GBA SP type device would be the likely route for a portable only Switch.

Without the need for a second screen I'm thinking they can make it like the GBA SP where the buttons and sticks are centered below the screen.

Deku89

The 3DS to me right now seems to be the stopgap until Nintendo can make enough Switches to have enough users to have a decent amount of sales. It's a budget hardware that kids can play easily.

It's also still selling pretty well. You don't cut off hardware if it's still selling well (unless it's the NES Classic, but that was most likely a failed business model anyway).

I expect when the 3DS finally dies, they'll release a smaller version of the Switch to appeal to the budget gamer/kids.

spelen

The Switch is definitely a bit too big to be a "take with you everywhere" portable like the 3DS was, he's right on that point. My 3DS I can slide into my pocket every morning, but the Switch requires planning ahead to bring it along.

The Switch could also definitely use a price drop and some more durable material to push it into being a mass market device, but as long as Nintendo has the 3DS & 2DS to cater to that portion of the market, I don't see much changing with the Switch.

I get that a price dropp would be great for consumer but why on earth would Nintendo consider a price dropp why demand is so high ? Its basic economics guys lol

Nintendo coming out with another 3DS successor would be the worst decision they could make. They would be better off doing a remodel of the Switch and make it portable only (and/or remove the dock from the SKU) and sell it for cheaper.

I agree but I wouldn't rule it out either. We are only 1 year past the time of where the most vocal idea around here was that 'NX' would be 2 different systems, even to the point of one having discs and the other cards.. and now people seem similarly certain that Switch is everything.

I think if they could find a good enough hook, they could make a different system that borrows the same architecture, but I don't know what that would be, it would have to be especially enticing because a split platform serves no benefit to us and little to no benefit to 3rd party developers either.
A variety of different designed Switches is the best option to anyone who doesn't run an empire where software is designed to sell hardware and vice versa.

Nanashrew

Banned
Without the need for a second screen I'm thinking they can make it like the GBA SP where the buttons and sticks are centered below the screen.

I'm curious about this design though if you want proper sticks. Circle pads would be ideal for the clamshell design as they're flatter. I wouldn't want to go back to circle pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom