• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt posts financial results for Q1, exceeds expectations; other news

boskee

CD Projekt posted their financial results for the first quarter of 2017.

It has generated sales to the tune of $26.5 million (99 million PLN), compared to $23 million (86.9 million PLN) in Q1 2016.

Their net profit has grown to $12 million (45 million PLN) compared with $8.7 million (32.5 million PLN) generated in Q1 2016. This has exceeded the expectations, which predicted a net income of around $7.9 million (29.5 million PLN).

The lion share of the income was generated by strong sales of The Witcher 3 and its expansions.

CD Projekt predicts the sale of TW3 to be strong throughout this year. It will be supported with seasonal sales.

In other news, Gwent will be promoted with marketing campaigns in the US, Germany, France, UK, Russia, Poland, Brazil, South America and Australia. CDPR plans to start a closed beta of the game in China later this year.

In Q1 2017 CDPR has spent $4.2 million (16 million PLN) on the development of Gwent and Cyberpunk 2077. The total R&D costs have reached over $21 million (79 million PLN)

Finally, the marketing campaign for the Cyberpunk 2077 has already been planned, and it will relay on a surprise factor:

"The promotional campaign (for Cyberpunk 2077) is already planned. It's main element is the surprise, so I cannot even say when it will begin. Simply because it has to come as a surprise." - Marcin Kicinski, CEO.

Source

Nice. Was just about to post this :)

Solid results as TW3 and its expansions continue to sell well. As illustrated by the chart of quarterly revenue that I pulled from the financials.

DAq6p6yXgAASxSs.jpg:large

Wondering how sales and especially profit will continue as we get further away from TW3 release and development costs rise for Cyberpunk 2077, especially if that game is years away (which it likely is).

Cincaid

Was hoping for at least some vague hints regarding overall project status on Cyberpunk. :(

Edit: Oh never mind, was added to the OP!

PFD

Nice. Was just about to post this :)

Solid results as TW3 and its expansions continue to sell well. As illustrated by the chart of quarterly revenue that I pulled from the financials.

DAq6p6yXgAASxSs.jpg:large

Wondering how sales and especially profit will continue as we get further away from TW3 release and development costs rise for Cyberpunk 2077, especially if that game is years away (which it likely is).

They have GOG you know. They should be ok

Xiao Hu

Solid numbers but not too great. I hope they can remain independent until they have grown into a bigger/more sustainable shape. This decrepit industry needs CD Projekt's positive influence

boskee

I forgot to mention juicy bit:

Finally, the marketing campaign for the Cyberpunk 2077 has already been planned, and it will relay on a surprise factor:

"The promotional campaign (for Cyberpunk 2077) is already planned. It's main element is the surprise, so I cannot even say when it will begin. Simply because it has to come as a surprise." - Marcin Kicinski, CEO.

It looks like they're going ahead with their plan to have a short but intensive marketing campaign, that no one will see coming.

boskee

So GOG is mere 3% of CDPR Group's profits.

Not much at all, but I won't knock near 6-fold net profit from last year.

True, and this will grow - the lion share of the profit made by GOG in Q1 came from card kegs sold in Gwent. This should continue to grow now that the game is in the Open Beta.

Deathknell

I forgot to mention juicy bit:

It looks like they're going ahead with their plan to have a short but intensive marketing campaign, that no one will see coming.

lhjhbB9.gif

LKSmash

Can the surprise be today? Maybe even right now? Please??

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Solid numbers but not too great. I hope they can remain independent until they have grown into a bigger/more sustainable shape. This decrepit industry needs CD Projekt's positive influence

CD Projekt has actually been publicly traded since 2010.

wiibomb

How is the development of cyberpunk going? Them having the marketting already planned sounds like they are advanced in development.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Awesome.
Now CDPR, please reconsider a Pro/Scorpio patch for that game and it's expansions as it continues to sell throughout the year.

I play on PC, but console users deserve to see the trasformitive effect 1400p/4K has on Wild Hunt.

Ahasverus

W3 is a sales beast but I hope they release another game soon-ish. Like, I get it, Cyberpunk is never coming out, but surely they could churn out "Tales from The Witcher" in 2 years?

Lucumo

I wish they would release some fully patched Witcher 3 special/collector's editions or a cool giant box with Witcher 1, 2 and 3 in it.

Xiao Hu

CD Projekt has actually been publicly traded since 2010.

Well, duh...otherwise we wouldn't have this thread in the first place since privately held companies don't disclose financial results outside their investors. Plus how is that relevant to my comment?

JaseC

How is the development of cyberpunk going? Them having the marketting already planned sounds like they are advanced in development.

"Quite advanced" is, funnily enough, what CDPR said back in March:

Well, duh...otherwise we wouldn't have this thread in the first place since privately held companies don't disclose financial results outside their investors. Plus how is that relevant to my comment?

Well, you said you hope that CDP can remain independent, but a public company is by very definition not independent. That's why I presumed you weren't aware. I was merely informing you of CDP's situation, not throwing the fact in your face, so there's no need for the attitude.

Shredderi

The marketing campaign will have to be a surprise? Won't be at E3 then. Not that I was fully expecting it to be. They'll propably start marketing it next year and keep this year as a "year of the Gwent"
Which sucks because I couldn't care less about it.

boskee

The marketing campaign will have to be a surprise? Won't be at E3 then. Not that I was fully expecting it to be. They'll propably start marketing it next year and keep this year as a "year of the Gwent"
Which sucks because I couldn't care less about it.

We already know they're not going to be at E3.. unless it's going to be a surprise ;)

Xiao Hu

Well, you said you hope that CDP can remain independent, but a public company is by very definition not independent. That's why I presumed you weren't aware. I was merely informing you of CDP's situation, not throwing the fact in your face, so there's no need for the attitude.

I meant independent as in 'nobody else's subsidiary' or not being acquired by another publisher. Also no attitude intended here :)

Falchion

That's awesome, I'm wondering if they'll wait to show much of Cyberpunk until just a few months away from its release.

Damerman

They already have a sale for cyberpunk 2077 in me soooooo....

Gonna do a full playthrough of w3 and expansions soon.

Zedark

Good to see them reaping the rewards from making a brilliant game like Witcher 3! Hope they won't wait too long with Witcher 4.

yurinka

Considering Sony has a confirmed marketing deal with every single upcoming big game other than the next AC, I'd assume they'll show Cyberpunk and AC at MS E3 conference.

Truant

Great games with great post release support do well? I'm shook.

The expansions for TW3 are better than most first party titles alone.

JaseC

Considering Sony has a confirmed marketing deal with every single upcoming big game other than the next AC, I'd assume they'll show Cyberpunk and AC at MS E3 conference.

It may be too early for Cyberpunk. I'd imagine CDPR wants to keep the game under wraps until it can showcase a level of visual fidelity it can deliver and thereby avoid another downgrade controversy.

Top Bottom