• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 1 million units on Day 1 in NA, best start in PS / console history

Takao

Banned
SCE PR:

TOKYO, Nov. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the highly anticipated launch of the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system resulted in 1 million units sold through during the first 24 hours after it became available on November 15, 2013 in the United States and Canada.
(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20020701/SFM066LOGO)

"PS4™ was designed with an unwavering commitment to gamers, and we are thrilled that consumer reaction has been so phenomenal," said Andrew House, President and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. "Sales remain very strong in North America, and we expect continued enthusiasm as we launch the PlayStation 4 in Europe and Latin America on November 29. We are extremely grateful for the passion of PlayStation fans and thank them for their continued support."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...s-in-north-america-in-24-hours-232248401.html

Note: Initially there was some confusion over these being shipped versus sold so earlier replies may refer to that.

That's a big number. I've been so very pleased with mine and I can't believe how few issues I've run into. Nothing but fun games and a sweet, snappy UI. I'll take it.

I'm extremely happy with mine. I guess I'm lucky in the fact that, with the exception of the slight PSN issues, I haven't had a single problem yet.

crinale

To clarify, the article is comparing to its second best launch (PS2).
PS2 took 3 days to reach 1M units, which was released in Japan only.
Kudos goes to Sony and NA market :D

nib95

Banned
1 million and still sold out most places? Sounds crazy impressive to me. Euroland is Sony land, so it'll be interesting to see how much it sells over here. I expect global stock shortages by Crimbo.

KuGsj.gif

GG, MS if you can't match similar numbers.

If the dont decisively deal with broken consoles issue fast, their momentum can be slowed massively. The PS4 is riding a wave of good press, good marketing and a good price. But a vocal word of mouth can throw all that away.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can they do another million on the 29th?

Can MS beat that figure with their launch on the 22nd? More countries so they should be able to.

Feels like those big numbers are going to bounce back and forth a bit over the coming weeks.

Bishop89

Great news.

So thats like what, a quarter of the wii u lifetime sales already? lol.

Congrats Sony.

2 more weeks till it launches here.

Chinner

Banned
i just went to the gamecube hut and there was a stack of ps4s that nobody was interested in. it actually seemed a little lonely, maybe the hype hasn't translated to sales afterall? there was a queue though for people buying wii u and the new super mario. seems like wii u is outselling the ps4 in my experience.

Top Bottom