• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London 2012 Summer Olympics |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miles X

Question :

If you compete for a country in London , can you compete for other in the next games? for those who have more than one nationality.

I thought you could compete for whatever country you like? I always here talk of adopting certain athletes from other countries. Maybe I got it wrong.

Big-E

Question :

If you compete for a country in London , can you compete for other in the next games? for those who have more than one nationality.

There are ways. There is an ex Soviet or Russian old lady who was participating in this Olympics for Germany. The reason she was with Germany is that she wanted to thank them for curing her son who had some rare disease where the only treatment was in Germany so I don't think she defected. Woman is 39 and competed in gymnastics in London, crazy story.

Wes

venison crêpe
Question :

I think the IOC rules are that you can't compete for another country at an Olympic games if you change your nationality within a certain time (I think it's 2 or 3 years) before the next Games - unless your prior nationality's olympic committee grants you permission.

I swear I heard this somewhere although I could be making it up.

3Sixty

I thought you could compete for whatever country you like? I always here talk of adopting certain athletes from other countries. Maybe I got it wrong.

I'm sure i remember a story a while back about Qatar basically paying someone to compete for them.

Branduil

Chris Kaman played for Germany's basketball team in 2008 and I'm not sure he's ever even been to Germany.

I had always thought once you play for one country in international play that's all you can play for. The only exception being the country changes, USSR -> eastern european countries, czechoslovakia -> Czech Republic and Slovakia, etc., but I guess I'm wrong.

Kjellson

Don't get why people think dressage should be removed. Sure it's boring as fuck for many, but it's a competition about how good you are with the horse and a lot of people like it.

Also, sailing is way worse than the horse stuff.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
There are ways. There is an ex Soviet or Russian old lady who was participating in this Olympics for Germany. The reason she was with Germany is that she wanted to thank them for curing her son who had some rare disease where the only treatment was in Germany so I don't think she defected. Woman is 39 and competed in gymnastics in London, crazy story.

Taken from this article that came out a few weeks ago -

"Oksana Chusovitina is possibly an alien or the product of a Soviet genetic experiment. She's 37 years old. She competed in her first Olympics in 1992 for the Soviet Union. She competed for Uzbekistan in the 1996, 2000, and 2004 Olympics. When her son -- yes, she's even given birth to a son! -- got cancer, she moved to Germany to get him better treatment and began competing for the German team. She won her second Olympic medal in 2008 in Beijing. Her specialty is vault."

SHE WON A MEDAL IN BEIJING AT AGE 33. Ridiculous.

Gorillaz

The black mamba is a true american hero...only one stone left unturned.

11363404-large.jpg

dat first lady

mrklaw

MrArseFace
UK GAF, is there any way to rematch entire events online? The 24 live streams are fantastic, but I was out today and want to watch the canoe doubles event but can't find it on the bbc sport page - there are just a few catchup items. You'd think that everything would be available. I think they should have one of the 24 channels do a rolling repeat of highlights so you can catch up easily whenever you need to

Raist

Banned
Let's play the "I prefer this kind of ranking" game!

1. South korea - 0.281
2. France - 0.245
3. GB - 0.240
4. USA - 0.119
5. China - 0.025

Medals per 1 million inhabitants.

Salvadora

UK GAF, is there any way to rematch entire events online? The 24 live streams are fantastic, but I was out today and want to watch the canoe doubles event but can't find it on the bbc sport page - there are just a few catchup items. You'd think that everything would be available. I think they should have one of the 24 channels do a rolling repeat of highlights so you can catch up easily whenever you need to

Try searching for the sport. For example http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/sports/beach-volleyball & the catch up is on the right hand side.

s7evn

Don't get why people think dressage should be removed. Sure it's boring as fuck for many, but it's a competition about how good you are with the horse and a lot of people like it.

Also, sailing is way worse than the horse stuff.

If you're going to remove baseball and softball then dressage should be looked at as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/schedule-results

Click on the rectangle next to the day/sport you want.

G17

Oh God, CTV is doing dressage now on TV. Fuck.

I've given up on their TV coverage. Online you can switch between TSN/CTV/SportsNet but you also get "World feeds" of events without commentary such as the match between Nigeria and USA right now.

Best part.. no ads/breaks.

No wonder Kobe is looking like he's 24 years old out there. A million Olympic women from every country around the world to choose from in ONE location.

tumblr_m824lsHEHv1r6jhq9o1_1280.jpg

LTWheels

Everything is archived:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video

Or click on the individual sports Olympic page and using the Schedule on the right can view footage.

What's the gold medals per 1 million inhabitants ratio

Gold medals per million population

1 Slovenia 0.5008
2 Lithuania 0.2836
3 New Zealand 0.2311
4 Georgia 0.2188
5 Hungary 0.2008
6 Kazakhstan 0.1712
7 Democratic People's Republic of Korea 0.1627
8 Republic of Korea 0.1433
9 Netherlands 0.1195
10 France 0.0914
11 Great Britain 0.0793
12 Italy 0.0653
13 South Africa 0.0615
14 United States of America 0.0574
15 Germany 0.0492
16 Romania 0.0458
17 Australia 0.0454
18 Ukraine 0.0446
19 Venezuela 0.0357
20 Russian Federation 0.0217
21 Japan 0.0157
22 People's Republic of China 0.0134
23 Brazil 0.0049

Korey

Rest of the world are busy enjoying playing and watching sports rather than obsessing over pointless tables like neckbeard armchair analysts.

This guy right here, the reason I get a little giddy when the US lose at something.

By the official way it's counted, no, they're not.
Why do people even debate this so their country is ahead? Just go by what the Official Olympic Comittee has it at.

http://www.london2012.com/medals/medal-count/index.html

I'm not acting dumb - http://www.london2012.com/medals/medal-count/index.html

Given every station, site ect uses that method, it's as good as official.

It's a stupid argument anyway, that's how it's counted so people can bitch and moan all they like it isn't going to change anything.

Dynopia just linked you to the official London 2012 website where it listed the medal table.

pK077.png

tino

Banned
Let's play the "I prefer this kind of ranking" game!

1. South korea - 0.281
2. France - 0.245
3. GB - 0.240
4. USA - 0.119
5. China - 0.025

Medals per 1 million inhabitants.

Dude you totally forgot to divide by the GDP multiplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom