• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2017 | Providing escapism since 2008

PittaGAF

Anyone try Arcane Quest? I know it's free, so I'm downloading it now...It looks a lot like Warhammer Quest?

I did and while I don't like the graphics that much, it's pretty cool.
Surely worth a download.
You can tell that a lot of love was put into it.

PittaGAF

Also, anyone have imps from that Card Thief beta?

IMHO it's fantastic, my first goty candidate.
Not only it's gorgeous, it's way deeper than the predecessor while mantaining the same core idea.
Each play through feels much more like an adventure and the combination of all items (once unlocked) is staggering with a lot of possible strategies.
The game has much content as the final updated version of Card Crawl (quests and all).
Contrary to Card Crawl surviving a single game is not that trivial expecially in last castle.
Doing a high score is another story entirely.
While the concept is similar you have much more control over the luck factor.
I love it,

Listen to Saucycarpdog, and check out Evil Factory. I'm really enjoying it so far. Tight controls, intense battles, wonderfully animated pixel art bosses, and a plethora of unlockables. It's a boss rush shmup, and each stage feels like an interesting new challenge

PittaGAF

This week was decent, but if the upcoming Voyageur is as good as I hope, it could be a GOTY contender.

I'm looking forward to it since ages too.
I'm particularly curious about the procedural stuff.
I'm still looking for something that match (procedural wise) Deadnaut.

killercow

The early impressions of Dungeon Tails are indeed really positive. Reminds me of how Red's Kingdom was received last week. I still love how those kind of highly polished games drop seemingly out of nowhere.

Matt Frost

Everyone... stop ignoring Frost and get MissileMan NOW! Golly gosh is it good. Maybe it's the charm, but took the cake over Glitchskier for me. Very pretty game.

Haha dont worry about it. I post impressions and people can do what they want with them. I am the one who is enjoying the game, if they want to listen good if not their loss. Thats about it.

awp69

The early impressions of Dungeon Tails are indeed really positive. Reminds me of how Red's Kingdom was received last week. I still love how those kind of highly polished games drop seemingly out of nowhere.

Indeed. Also read the small Finnish dev's post on TA and they seem genuine and sincere. I'm buying it even just to support their effort and decision to go premium.

JCho133

Haha dont worry about it. I post impressions and people can do what they want with them. I am the one who is enjoying the game, if they want to listen good if not their loss. Thats about it.

Just seconding your opinion!

MissileMan deserves so much attention... definitely the underappreciated hit this week. It's got Editor's Choice in the US and still only 7 reviews...

It's so so good and everyone here NEEDS to pick it up if you like Downwell and Glitchskier

JCho133

IMHO it's fantastic, my first goty candidate.
Not only it's gorgeous, it's way deeper than the predecessor while mantaining the same core idea.
Each play through feels much more like an adventure and the combination of all items (once unlocked) is staggering with a lot of possible strategies.
The game has much content as the final updated version of Card Crawl (quests and all).
Contrary to Card Crawl surviving a single game is not that trivial expecially in last castle.
Doing a high score is another story entirely.
While the concept is similar you have much more control over the luck factor.
I love it,

Thanks to everyone that gave imps! Love the look of the art in Thief just as much as Crawl, so I'm very excited. I applied to the beta but never caught an invite sadly. Maybe this will hit the shelves soon.

Would you say that there's a bit more of a sense of progression in this game? Either per-match or in the Meta-game

PittaGAF

Thanks to everyone that gave imps! Love the look of the art in Thief just as much as Crawl, so I'm very excited. I applied to the beta but never caught an invite sadly. Maybe this will hit the shelves soon.

Would you say that there's a bit more of a sense of progression in this game? Either per-match or in the Meta-game

I would say a resounding yes but while close the game is still in beta (items acquisition was recently completely overhauled) and I don't want to be too detailed in respect to the dev work (sorry).
I'll be more precise on day one, I promise.

I think you will be pleased, but the game is a bit different from Card Crawl.

awp69

Dungeon Tails is fantastic! Dungeon crawler roguelike with a some permanent upgrades and progression. Very polished, charming yet challenging.

Tallied up the GOTY votes, need to put the results thread together but here's the final count

1) Pokémon Go (69)
2) Super Mario Run (64)
3) Reigns (42)
4) Clash Royale (39)
5) Steamworld Heist (29)
6) Severed (26)
7) Lost Socks: Naughty Brothers (15)
8) Love You To Bits | Teeny Titans | Lumines: Puzzle & Music (13)
9) Sorcery 4: The Crown of Kings (12)
10) Deus Ex GO | Solitairica | Final Fantasy IX (11)

okno

I'm having a hard time telling if MissileMan is super hard or I'm just terrible, but I still love it.

Matt Frost

Dungeon Tails is fantastic! Dungeon crawler roguelike with some permanent upgrades and progression. Very polished, charming yet challenging.

Agreed!! Reached layer 3 and im loving it. It has A TON of details polished. Also spoke to the devs and they are thinking about adding GC leaderboards! :)

I'm having a hard time telling if MissileMan is super hard or I'm just terrible, but I still love it.

Only beated the second boss so far. I think is both: terrible skill + super hard. But that itself is super addicting. Add the fun shooting mechanic. The combo system. A winner. Great week with MissileMan, Glitchskier and Dungeon Tails!!

awp69

Auto running platformer Galaxy Groove is currently free. Nothing groundbreaking but pretty fun and hard. One touch controls with some surprises along the way with power ups, etc.

Worth a download IMO.

You guys weren't kidding. Dungeon Tails might be the best iOS roguelike I've played since Imbroglio. I was surprised that it was real-time rather than turn-based

Matt Frost

You guys weren't kidding. Dungeon Tails might be the best iOS roguelike I've played since Imbroglio. I was surprised that it was real-time rather than turn-based

Yeah I told the dev the game needed a video in the description since it looks like that with the grid. Hope they improve that. For me, this is the roguelike I never knew I always wanted: it has some progression. Missileman doesnt have this and needs it. Glitchskier does have it but only colours. This is the real deal for me.

JCho133

However, do not expect the same fast paced gameplay from Card Crawl. Card Thief plays way slower and needs more thought while playing.

Like the sound of that! Card Crawl boiled down to the same few basic situations, so I like hearing that Thief will require a bit more thought and nuance each turn

PittaGAF

Like the sound of that! Card Crawl boiled down to the same few basic situations, so I like hearing that Thief will require a bit more thought and nuance each turn

It's way deeper and you have much more choices than deciding where to put a card in 7 possible positions.
Strategies change also according to where you are (which castle) and what you are trying to do (high score, quests, unlocks, upgrades or just plain survival).
After 20 hours I'm still finding new strategies and I have yet to start trying all items, not to mentions combos.
Sometimes your plans go totally wrong and even if you don't do anything special nor unloock anything new...just surviving that last impossible turn and escaping is super satisfactory.
Imho of course.

I've played Warhammer Fellblade and Oz and I must say I am seriously impressed by what iPhone 7 can pull off. This is PS3 levels of graphics quality and controls and I love how Warhammer is using 3D touch. Very cool.

PG gave Evil Factory a 6/10, citing the controls as laggy and slow. I mean yeah I guess the character moves a little slow with the joystick but that's kinda the point. Positioning is key to beating the tougher bosses, you can't just expect to be zipping around with the virtual stick, that would make dodging attacks way too easy.

Matt Frost

Along with the SpellTower update this week, Crescent Moon is going to release Maze Lord. Looks good but as every other CM game, can be a hit or a complete failure. Hope for the first option.

https://twitter.com/CM_Games/status/828585349043646465

C3-5yCuXUAMJI8z.jpg

Edit: What? I dont own SpellTower? Why? I am pretty sure I played it... maybe there is a similar word game with a similar name? I...dont...understand....

awp69

Don't understand why Fire Emblem Heroes needs these massive updates almost every time I open it. Today, almost 450 MB.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Along with the SpellTower update this week, Crescent Moon is going to release Maze Lord. Looks good but as every other CM game, can be a hit or a complete failure. Hope for the first option.

https://twitter.com/CM_Games/status/828585349043646465

Edit: What? I dont own SpellTower? Why? I am pretty sure I played it... maybe there is a similar word game with a similar name? I...dont...understand....
I apparently no longer own Spelltower either. What's going on?

I even have that game still installed on my iPad!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Checked my purchases and found it. Is it a new app for this update? I don't mind paying again. Just curious.
The version available for me to buy again has release notes from 2012 so it's the same one.

I'm not gonna pay again for an app I already bought.

killercow

The version available for me to buy again has release notes from 2012 so it's the same one.

That's super weird and not something that can actually happen. Is this the only App Store account you have? I see that the app hasn't been delisted or changed so the developer cannot take your app from your "downloaded" list. You could always try to send a mail to Apple if it's a glitch on their side.

What's up with Hearthstone running at 30 FPS? Is this for battery conservation?

Also, World of Tanks isn't really great performance wise. I played it on Xperia M5 with a Octacore Helio X10 which had an ancient Power VR (Series 6 IIRC) at Full HD, with low-mid details and it ran at something like 20-30 FPS. Iphone 7 can't hold a 60 FPS lock at 750p with everything set to high, 2xMSAA, 4xAF. Metal and UE4 games run so much better. It's not unplayable by any means, but it should run nicer.

Matt Frost

I apparently no longer own Spelltower either. What's going on?

I even have that game still installed on my iPad!

Checked my purchases and found it. Is it a new app for this update? I don't mind paying again. Just curious.

Thanks for clarifying this for me. I didnt understand this at all, was driving me mad! Now that I know is happening to more people, I will contact the dev on twitter and ask whats going on...

Edit: asked on twitter, lets see the answer...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have a lot of flying to do today, so I decided to install Titan Quest on our iPad Mini. Game is fun, but randomly stops responding to my inputs. I have to hit the home button and return back to the game to get it to work. How is this a thing? Game was so anticipated but just doesn't perform...

awp69

I have a lot of flying to do today, so I decided to install Titan Quest on our iPad Mini. Game is fun, but randomly stops responding to my inputs. I have to hit the home button and return back to the game to get it to work. How is this a thing? Game was so anticipated but just doesn't perform...

Yeah, I've had this happen too. That and the buttons in general aren't as responsive as should be.

It's ashame. Great game but port was not DotEmu's finest by any means and don't think it's had an update in ages so doubt it will get another.

------

PC Game Supply has a flash sale on iTunes credit (US). $10 for $7. Only lasts another 6 hours.

https://mobile.pcgamesupply.com/special-promotion/

I've bought PSN credit from them before. It's legit.

awp69

Infinity Blade for iOS, based on that trailer

Looks absolutely nothing like the console game, that's for sure. Not that it was a great game but decent Souls clone that would be nice to have similar on mobile.

This version does look pretty much like an Infinity Blade clone.

Matt Frost

Got an answer from Mr Gage. He says that what is happening is not normal at all, he hasnt pulled the app at any time and should be on our purchase history. He doesnt understand like me. Probably Apple with their weirdness. If you guys are going to buy it again for the update (like me), you should buy it now because when the update hits it will go up a dollar. From 2 to 3$

Top Bottom