• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 and that 'Fall 2017' release window

So I was talking to a friend today about Rockstar's games and we naturally started talking about one of their best games: Red Dead Redemption, which made me remember that Red Dead Redemption 2 is scheduled for a 'Fall 2017' release. It's now almost the end of April and there's been no sight of the game since the reveal and trailer back in October.

So will Red Dead Redemption 2 actually come out this year? Not too long left for them to show it if it's indeed coming out this year, or could they possible replicate Fallout 4 and Bethesdas way of doing it during E3 2015 or was Fall 2017 always an unrealistic goal they were never gonna reach?

Discuss!

Edit:

Sony got exclusive marketing for RDR2 + timed exclusive DLC it seems

Bahorel

I've become very hopeful that they're going to be part of the Sony show. I'm usually pessimistic but I think they can do it, and pull a fallout 4 for a fall release.

RoKKeR

Considering how quiet it's been I'd pin the chances it coming out this year as 'slim', as much as I'd love it to.

May 2018 is my guess.

I feel they will release this Fall. I have felt that Rockstar won't show off most their games unless they are confident they will release soon. Besides, they will probably show more at E3, so I am not sure why everyone is so worried. E3 is the time to show off games. My hope is that it will release this Fall. I'll buy that for a dollar.

the absence of material or a firm date is no indication of anything whatsoever
this is rockstar we're talking about.

could the game be delayed? sure.
i don't know.
i still expect a release between mid September and late October ;)

Does Rockstar have an established track record of delaying their games?

Red Dead redemption was delayed for less than a month, and was announced a year out with little information released about it prior to launch. It's been 7 years since it came out, and 3 years, this fall, since a Rockstar game released, 4 if you don't count a port.

That's the full story. I believe it's coming, but we'll see.

Peroroncino

I'm not even deluding myself that I'll play this in 2017, expecting delay news to hit at E3 or soon after, I'll be happy if we get to see at least 1 solid gameplay from RDR2 this year, because honestly I don't think Rockstar can deliver more in this time frame going by their track record.

Hystzen

I feel they will release this Fall. I have felt that Rockstar won't show off most their games unless they are confident they will release soon. Besides, they will probably show more at E3, so I am not sure why everyone is so worried. E3 is the time to show off games. My hope is that it will release this Fall. I'll buy that for a dollar.

When was last time they even showed up to E3 they tend release own information when feel like it

Considering how quiet it's been I'd pin the chances it coming out this year as 'slim', as much as I'd love it to.

May 2018 is my guess.

Thats not really a good way to judge. Rockster doesnt really do big blowouts like most pubs. They normally lay low. I dont think they ever even released Gameplay of GTA4 before release. They where a little more open with 5 but it wasnt exactly doing press tours and having trailers at every event. Rockstar does its own thing.

That being said, this shit isnt gonna be 2017. Rockstar was one of the first to own the first half of the year when releasing a game. I expect that to continue. So look for it March to May 2018.

When was last time they even showed up to E3 they tend release own information when feel like it

GTA4 x Xbox 360 parthnership and the GTAV Next gen port was the last time I can remember real ass rockstar games being at E3.

But since they already announced the Sony deal I would be shocked if Red Dead isnt a big part of Sonys show this year even if its a 2018 game

hydruxo

I would be absolutely shocked if it manages to come out this Fall to be honest. Would love to be wrong though, of course!

Not saying it won't be delayed, but Rockstar is also known for showing some material and then going silent until right before release. Also aside from GTA4 and 5 their delays have been pretty short.

Ertai

Thats not really a good way to judge. Rockster doesnt really do big blowouts like most pubs. They normally lay low. I dont think they ever even released Gameplay of GTA4 before release. They where a little more open with 5 but it wasnt exactly doing press tours and having trailers at every event. Rockstar does its own thing.

I remember they did this whole gameplay reveal series before launching Red Dead Redemption back in the day and even delaying the game while those series were released. So while they're doing their own thing, they're also known for their delays.

For some reason i also expect them to downgrade the shown footage, unless it was Scorpio footage or something

Persona 5 says what up

Why are we talking about games that have nothing to do with red dead or rockstar?

Because Fallout when from being announced at E3 to releasing that November. So the idea that there's no way it's coming out this year because there's no info on it yet isn't a solid guarantee. Especially since, like Fallout, we're known that they've been working on this game for years.

There are a bunch of games coming out this year that we haven't gameplay from.

Destiny 2
Battlefront 2
Call of Duty WW2
Assassin's Creed (assuming it releases this year)

So I wouldn't use that as an indicator.

Top Bottom