• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

Feel bad for the people who own hundreds of Expertise cards as a long term spec but this is a rare good thing from Wizards

Rafy

Can someone explain the change of how the split cards function in simpler terms? I am either too tired or an idiot and but I don't get it.

Poppy

Can someone explain the change of how the split cards function in simpler terms? I am either too tired or an idiot and but I don't get it.

if the spell isnt on the stack, eg it is in your hand or library or gy or whatever, the cmc of the spell is the sum of the cmc of both sides of the spell

i think

I get that it's absolutely vital to periodically shame mono-red players, but I feel like maybe you should have used the first big reveal of the set to show off an interesting god card to get people excited, not just to indulge RDW players in their masochism fetish.

El Topo

I get that it's absolutely vital to periodically shame mono-red players, but I feel like maybe you should have used the first big reveal of the set to show off an interesting god card to get people excited, not just to indulge RDW players in their masochism fetish.

No, no, they have to learn the hard way.

Again, despite both being 3x, a conditional 5/4 creature with indestructible, haste, and a functional ability is not the same thing as an effectively 4/3 creature with haste. Hazoret is 100% the better card in Constructed even if she takes more effort to work.
I think the crocodile would be 100% better than hazoret if it were red.
i'm talking about limited

both are uncommons but a 1/2 menace is legit unplayable

never mind green gets haste. feels like a slap in the face.
Haste is tertiary green that's not news. I'm not gonna put up a gallery but from colourshifted ball lightnings to vengenie to craterhoof,... the list goes on and on.
Isn't that not always correct?
Not anymore. Bastion Enforcer from Kaladesh for instance is a chick.

traveler

Not Wario
Not that I like green continuing to do things better than other colors, but crocodiles are pretty fast. Not really a flavor fail.

The new split card rules are a really good change. Hosing some niche strategies is frustrating, but the end result is much cleaner and easier to understand. It's for the best. I'm actually really happy about it.

Santiako

I'm guessing this change is due to a 1-2 CMC aftermath card that has a huge CMC grave side that would be problematic if cheated.

My emotional reaction to the split-card change is extremely negative, but I can't really disagree that it's a good choice for them to make. This is one of those cases where I feel like the combo space it opens up in larger formats is fun and interesting, though, so it's a shame to lose it.

Speculating is always Boom//Bust.

red13th

I was looking for cards for a new cube project I'm doing and one of the themes in Bant is enchantments. Sterling Grove would fit like a glove, but this project is modern-frame only and they have never reprinted Sterling Grove, and I hate that.

They even have the cool Seb McKinnon art from Duels 2014 (linked since it's not a spoiler during spoiler season). I hate them for not reprinting it. :x

Thank Cat Jesus that they're getting rid of Split Card Bullshit. I get it, Expertises are cool. You know what's less cool? Getting Turn 2 Killed by " Land #2, SSG, Kari Zev's Expertise->Breaking/Entering->Emrakul, Swing for 15" because you went "Land, 1 Drop, go"

Thank Cat Jesus that they're getting rid of Split Card Bullshit. I get it, Expertises are cool. You know what's less cool? Getting Turn 2 Killed by " Land #2, SSG, Kari Zev's Expertise->Breaking/Entering->Emrakul, Swing for 15" because you went "Land, 1 Drop, go"

You knew what you were getting into with the way you played that land.

Yeef

Also I'm pretty dumbfounded that they thought: "Hellbent was a great mechanic. Let's give this god Hellbent!"
More likely, the B/R limited archetype is cycling matters, which also goes along with madness in constructed.

Big functional change to split cards:

No more casting Boom/Bust from Dwellers, no more free big spells from Kari Zev's Expertise :/

(Straight from Tabak on reddit)

No more Fire/Ice on Isochron Scepters! That's killing a really long interaction :(
It wasn't Tabak, it was Eli Shiffrin, the current Rules Manager.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If they dropped an accidental infinite in the first day of spoilers, it would be time for basically everyone to get fired.

...like the one that's a Tier 1 deck in Standard right now?

You knew what you were getting into with the way you played that land.
No, I really didn't. What was I supposed to do, hold up the path against Emrakul? It's kind of bullshit that Reanimator got even more goodies in Kaladesh block when Blue can't even manage to get a non-shitty new counter in Standard.

I don't think a format where I need to either play black so I can stop degenerate bullshit from killing me on Turn 2 by Thoughtsiezing or permanently hold up Mana for a counter in Blue is a good format, especially when they continue to keep SSG(which is nothing but a card used solely to accelerate bullshit) in the format.

You can't answer Breaking//Entering because it's all one spell, meaning that when they Mill into Emrakul Aeon's Torn both the shuffle Trigger/Relic are too slow.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

Doesn't Kari Zev's Expertise need a target

Adaren

Speculation: the green crocodile could be indicative of a "survival of the fittest" theme in Green. Big, undercosted creatures that give your smaller creatures penalties, but if you don't have enough smaller creatures then they give themselves a penalty. It would fit the trial of strength theme of Amonkhet, and I think it could lead to some interesting card synergies.

bigkrev

I really like how Wizards uses haste on mono-green creatures. They only use it if they think the card is legitimatly playable

Here are all the natural haste creatures in green that have been printed in the last 10 years:
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Image.ashx

Doesn't Kari Zev's Expertise need a target
They run forbidden Orchid for this exact purpose.
That's my point. I Know Emrakul has protection, so the original "You did this by playing your land that way" was bullshit regardless. In a hand of Scooze, Hierarch, Path, 3 Lands, Thalia, tell me, what exact answer do I have to fused Breaking//Entering on Turn 2? This is preboard,obviously, but even Post-board Turn 2 Going off means they dodge Rest in Peace when they're on the Play.

Yeef

That's my point. I Know Emrakul has protection, so the original "You did this by playing your land that way" was bullshit regardless. In a hand of Scooze, Hierarch, Path, 3 Lands, Thalia, tell me, what exact answer do I have to fused Breaking//Entering on Turn 2? This is preboard,obviously, but even Post-board Turn 2 Going off means they dodge Rest in Peace when they're on the Play.
Uh...

What they're trying to say is that I don't actually think you should be getting Turn 2 Emrakul'd. I actually don't play the format for precisely this type of reason.

sacredcat.jpg

I wonder, is every embalm creature going to be white?

Hazoret is pretty disappointing. I imagine she could still be good in Standard, but that's another red spell that's boring but practical.

The cartouches and trials are an unexpected theme. I feel like we've been getting a lot of enchantments that are really more like sorceries in recent years.

I like Nest of Scarabs, that's a great way to represent that flavor.

kirblar

The Torrential Gearhulk-Sorcery interaction really makes it seem like MTGO's the culprit here w/ the rules wonkiness w/ being able to cast the "wrong" half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom