• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Put It In Your MAU-th: Pork Loin leading PS4/Xbone in NA

Fdkn

Side observation but interesting about Best Buy and Civil War because browsing for cheap Blu-rays over the weekend some movies I wanted went out of stock and then got restocked but CW was always in stock.

that just means CW had more stock available because they knew they were going to sell a ton

Zoggy

it seems like both ps4 and x1 are doing well.

console fanboys never seem to understand that the console giants don't have a limited landwell to share.

ie. if theres 51 ps4s to 49 xb1s, ps4 didn't necessarily win.

these guys are competing with handhelds tablets and all other "we can do everyrhing" electronics.

they better they both sell, the better we all do.

the more consoles sold the better, that means more straight ass console and high production pc games.

if ps4 sold 10 million and xbox one sold 1 million, i bet sony guys would cream their pants.

but no that shit sucks because that means theres only a market for 15 million users and a lot less developers would make a big budget game.

goodbye to hitman, darksouls the withcher. you would only get call of duty nba 2k and maybe battlefield?

Melchiah

it seems like both ps4 and x1 are doing well.

console fanboys never seem to understand that the console giants don't have a limited landwell to share.

ie. if theres 51 ps4s to 49 xb1s, ps4 didn't necessarily win.

these guys are competing with handhelds tablets and all other "we can do everyrhing" electronics.

they better they both sell, the better we all do.

the more consoles sold the better, that means more straight ass console and high production pc games.

if ps4 sold 10 million and xbox one sold 1 million, i bet sony guys would cream their pants.

but no that shit sucks because that means theres only a market for 15 million users and a lot less developers would make a big budget game.

goodbye to hitman, darksouls the withcher. you would only get call of duty nba 2k and maybe battlefield?

So, if we go by the same margin, the PS2 generation was bad for the industry? Every system doesn't have to be succesful for the industry to remain healthy. Actually, it wouldn't be good for competition, if even poor platforms sold well just because.

c0de

So, if we go by the same margin, the PS2 generation was bad for the industry? Every system doesn't have to be succesful for the industry to remain healthy. Actually, it wouldn't be good for competition, if even poor platforms sold well just because.

So you think we don't need competition at all and we would be an equally good gaming world if there wouldn't be any Mario or halo or any other game not on PlayStation?
I thought that diversity is one of the biggest factors for the industry, no matter which platform.

So you think we don't need competition at all and we would be an equally good gaming world if there wouldn't be any Mario or halo or any other game not on PlayStation?
I thought that diversity is one of the biggest factors for the industry, no matter which platform.

That is not what he is saying .
He is saying every company don't need good sales for there to be competition .

lol @ pork lion being #1 at costco. Cool to see both consoles selling well during Black Friday!

Super-Lion-Pig-icon.png

Sorry Hugstable, I had to... :)

Congrats to Sony and Microsoft on their console sales! I haven't followed all that closely, but it seems that the past several years, it's been all about Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo, where are your enticing holiday sales, bro??

Melchiah

Where did I say that? Products succeed and fail by their merits, it doesn't do any good for competition if all of them succeeded equally despite of the circumstances. When one stumbles, it strives to do better, like the XB division has done.

I don't recall seeing so much talk about a need for every system to succeed, when PS3 failed during its first years.

As for diversity of software, it comes from multiple sources. The 3rd parties have provided a great portion of that in every generation.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Eh? Calling this gen's Xbox platform poor seems off when it shares 95% of the library with the PS4.
Had it only received 20-30% of the third party titles, maybe.

Melchiah

Eh? Calling this gen's Xbox platform poor seems off when it shares 95% of the library with the PS4.
Had it only received 20-30% of the third party titles, maybe.

I wasn't calling it poor, I was talking about competition in general.

EDIT:
But what a competition is a company that doesn't have strong sales?

And what creates strong sales, but a desirable product in comparison to its competition.

I swear every time I turn my head in the last few weeks I see an Xbox, their marketing team is going fucking ham lately. Hope it's doing well for them.

c0de

I'll just quote y2kev, "Sales differential is the RESULT of competition."

Eh...Yes. And tomorrow the sun rises. But what would happen if there was no healthy competition at all? A sales differential? Sure. But what are the implications for the industry in general?

Chobel

MS PR:
There was strong demand for Xbox hardware, accessories, games and Xbox Live engagement on Black Friday, based on initial results, with a strong start to the holiday season. In October, Xbox One was the best-selling console in the U.S., U.K. and Australia according to NPD Group and GfK Entertainment. Xbox One has been the best-selling console in the U.S. for the past four months, and in the U.K. and Australia in each of the last two months. Xbox One S is the only console available this year with built-in UHD 4K Blu-ray, 4K video streaming and HDR for video and gaming and it’s available in a variety of bundles for the best value with 500GB, 1TB and 2TB consoles to choose from. A huge variety of blockbuster games from this year’s greatest games lineup are now available for Xbox One or Windows 10 PC such as “Gears of War 4,” “Forza Horizon 3,” “ReCore,” “Titanfall 2,” “Battlefield 1” and “Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare,” with even more on the way in the coming days like “Dead Rising 4” and “Final Fantasy XV.”

Moreover, with the recent release of our Xbox Holiday Update, there are more ways for gamers to connect with one another across devices through Clubs and Looking for Group on Xbox Live – the fastest, most reliable gaming network. In addition, Xbox Design Lab brings more than 8 million ways to customize the new Xbox Wireless Controller, featuring enhanced comfort and feel with textured grip, improved wireless range and Bluetooth technology. We are grateful to our community for their continued dedication and passion toward Xbox, and are committed to making Xbox the best place to game this year and beyond.

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/85675/microsoft-strong-demand-xbox-black-friday-weekend

c0de

Then they try to do better and get good sales .
You think if XB1 had great sales from the beginning they would be trying so hard now ?

Trying what? I don't see anything special in terms of games, to be honest. BC is sure great but basically the only card they have left is price. It works in terms of unit sales, it seems.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Eh...Yes. And tomorrow the sun rises. But what would happen if there was no healthy competition at all? A sales differential? Sure. But what are the implications for the industry in general?

Historically, a ton of profitable developers, a diverse mid-range catalogue, more games than ever, and the health of the Japanese games industry. Haaaaaaah

edit: Obviously, it's perspective. Bitter Sega fans that control to trawl the internet always enjoy voicing their displeasure at what competition looked like in the 90s and 2000s.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is PS4 Slim 500GB Uncharted 4 bundle on #1 spot on Amazon vg rankings for 2 straight days? I looked few times, and it was always on that spot.

Trying what? I don't see anything special in terms of games, to be honest. BC is sure great but basically the only card they have left is price. It works in terms of unit sales, it seems.

Price , adding a 4k drive , fast updates , adding free monthly games etc etc .
These are some things they have being doing since this gen started because they were getting there ass kick .

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sony's bundle last year during December was baller as fuck. Meanwhile this year nobody fucking cares. Most of your big time Uncharted fans probably already had the system.

Seems like a big bundle miscalculation this year. Where as last year they had that Uncharted collection bundle, but they also had that Star Wars bundle during Star Wars hype mania.

Loris146

Is PS4 Slim 500GB Uncharted 4 bundle on #1 spot on Amazon vg rankings for 2 straight days? I looked few times, and it was always on that spot.

Yes. Was out of top 100 for the yearly best selling chart but now is 49 and 5 in the November chart.

Chobel

What's "healthy competition"?

c0de

Price , adding a 4k drive , fast updates , adding free monthly games etc etc .
These are some things they have being doing since this gen started because they were getting there ass kick .

What do you mean with fast updates? The 4k drive has been downplayed so often, I can't count anymore. No one knows how much that really matters. Free games you also get from the competition...

Clunker

I'm calling it right here, Pork Loin is going to win November.
Sounds exactly like something an unabashed Dork Loin fanboy would say.

Everyone knows the Ham Shank is the undisputed king of current gen. What other platform gives you:

-Maple Glaze
-Full resolution drippings
-Cooks at higher temperature than Dork Loin
-MAPLE GLAZE MOTHERFUCKERS

And this November's NPDs aren't even going to include digital Ham Shank sales so it's embarrassing to even post the numbers.

ethomaz

Banned
Sony's bundle last year during December was baller as fuck. Meanwhile this year nobody fucking cares. Most of your big time Uncharted fans probably already had the system.

Seems like a big bundle miscalculation this year. Where as last year they had that Uncharted collection bundle, but they also had that Star Wars bundle during Star Wars hype mania.
The Sony king bundle last year was released in December.

People seems to think CoD bundle was released in November but it was not.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I know the Star Wars thing was Dec, but wouldn't we know by now if they were gonna do a similar Dec bundle? As far as I know they don't have anything lined up.

Feels like people are buying the UC4 bundle inspite of UC4 and more as a cheap ps4 entry point with the slim for $250.

Maybe I'm wrong doe.

Sounds exactly like something an unabashed Dork Loin fanboy would say.

Everyone knows the Ham Shank is the undisputed king of current gen. What other platform gives you:

-Maple Glaze
-Full resolution drippings
-Cooks at higher temperature than Dork Loin
-MAPLE GLAZE MOTHERFUCKERS

And this November's NPDs aren't even going to include digital Ham Shank sales so it's embarrassing to even post the numbers.
Ok this one got me. Kudos

Noobcraft

Not everyone can be a Pork Loin, but I'm fairly confident that both Microsoft and Sony will be happy with holiday sales of their consoles.

blakep267

Sony released the custom console COd bundle last year. It was more expensive but it still sold well. The standard bundle came in December

c0de

Well PS2/PS1 competition wasn't "healthy" but the industry sure looked fine.

Yes, that is what I'm arguing. What would happen today? Sometimes it seems people miss these days as it seems they even see a benefit in such a situation.

Chobel

Yes, that is what I'm arguing. What would happen today? Sometimes it seems people miss these days as it seems they even see a benefit in such a situation.

Sure, it can happen. On PC, Steam is dominating everything and PC gaming is healthier than ever.

EDIT: BTW no one is cheering for PS2 era like competition, we're just saying that sales parity just for the sake of "competition" isn't really needed for healthy industry.

AZ Greg

Curious to know if you have any issues with the tone of this thread? With all the MS cheerleading and chest thumping before we even have actual data.

Can you quote some of this "cheerleading" and "chest thumping"? I must have missed it.

And what's up with all the "fire sale" talk? First of all, some of you need to look up the definition. And second, if this was such a known holiday strategy of MS', why is it only starting to be widely discussed in this thread when it now looks like MS is going to have a competitive November? I didn't see it discussed nearly as much in prior month's NPD or prediction threads. Seems more like preemptive damage control...

ethomaz

Banned
Sony released the custom console COd bundle last year. It was more expensive but it still sold well. The standard bundle came in December
In November the best seller Sony bundle was Uncharted with 892k units.

All others bundles did unespressive numbers compared with it... the expensive COD sold 283k.

Only the CoD bundle launch in December destroned Uncharted bundle.

I trully expect the U4 bundle to be the best seller bundle this year by a huge margin.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
A situation where one company doesn't dominate the market, for example.
I'm going to start linking this into posters' tags whenever this old canard pops up. Every time, I swear...

Oh boy, people are mixing up sales parity with competition again. Reposting for educational purposes:

Why would you want that. Surely sales parity is better for the consumer?

No, it's not. I don't understand where this is coming from.

Competitive platforms are good for the consumer. Sales parity is completely irrelevant to the consumer. In fact, if one platform lags behind the other, it is because the consumer has decided that one platform is not actually good for them. That is how it works. The dog wags the tail.

This "competition is good" thing has grown completely into a monster. Competition is the means by which a lessor is weeded out. If a platform is weaker, it should lose. That is competition. This whole "parity is good for the consumer"/"two platforms selling well is good for the consumer" sentiment is bizarre.

What you are espousing is not capitalism or competition but instead crony capitalism in which market competitors are propped up for the sake of having market competitors.

Y2Kev said:
UNCMark said:
Perhaps you missed the cola wars, the fast food wars, the beer wars.

I didn't. Perhaps YOU did. None of those competitors were on "even footing" when it came to sales. They still aren't. Unless you think coke at 48b in sales is on even footing with PepsiCo at 16b.

Sales parity is IRRELEVANT to the consumer. Sales differential is the RESULT of competition.

Competition results in a winner and a loser. It's not best for the consumer to have everyone on even footing "just because that's best for the consumer." You won't find evidence of this in history; you are depicting controlled markets and zombie corporations.

Here's how it should work: two systems took different paths to the market. That is true. The market will validate them both independently. Someone might lose and it's going to suck for some Internet group.

People are confusing the outcome of competition with the benefits of competition, which is where this silliness over sales comes in.

ethomaz

Banned
Competition is always good. Sales parity is irrelevant.
This.

Competition will always have a winner and a loser... that is good competition.

Sales parity is not competition and it is bad for the industry.

Historical facts shows that pretty well.

Unknown?

Do you have numbers to back that up? The LE COD bundle was more expensive than their usual LE bundles.

In November the best seller Sony bundle was Uncharted with 892k units.

All others bundles did unespressive numbers compared with it... the expensive COD sold 283k.

Only the CoD bundle launch in December destroned Uncharted bundle.

I trully expect the U4 bundle to be the best seller bundle this year by a huge margin.

Nvm. I think the Pro probably sold better than the COD bundle.

ethomaz

Banned
Do you have numbers to back that up? The LE COD bundle was more expensive than their usual LE bundles.
I posted the number in reply... UC bundle just crushed CoD LE bundle in November... over 3x more units sold.

The huge CoD bundle was launched in December.

Unknown?

I posted the number in reply... UC bundle just crushed CoD LE bundle in November... over 3x more units sold.
Just saw that. It did over half their monthly sells. Those expensive bundles probably didn't equal as much as the Pro. Although we still don't know if the slim was effected by the Pro or if it just wasn't popular.

Top Bottom